Since my “Reader Email” bag is already over 50 deep and it’s only Tuesday morning, I figured I’d knock some out in this column today so to make Thursday’s column a liiiiitle more manageable. Just gonna use ones sent since last night to make it somewhat more topical. Here we go…
Any opinion on what Hy’s reaction would have been if he was watching the early episodes of this seasons Bachelor? Specifically the pet adoption and soccer game group dates. They both featured oblique views of Andi’s kitty. If Hy was unhappy with JP in general, he must have had a genuine rage at the producers for these two vantage point views of his daughter.
I also am left wondering if he is genuinely disappointed that Andi flushed away her legal career for this cockroach of a show.
Your site is awesome.
Comment: Kinda hard to put myself in the shoes of the all powerful Hy Dorfman, but I guess I’ll just have to assume he’ll stick to the company line of “As long as my daughter’s happy.”
She definitely isn’t interested in going back into law full time and making a career out of it, that’s for sure.
Love your site, you’re awesome, don’t care about the ads, yadda yadda yadda. 3 unrelated questions:
1) You say Nikki was the most hated girl in the house, and Andi (her BFF) was the 2nd most. Where does that put Clare? In her ITM’s, Kelly mentioned that Clare had no friends… and Andi seems tight with Nikki, Kelly, Sharleen and Kat. Oh, and I totally think that Ali Fedotowsky is reading your spoilers and trying to butter up Andi (as the next bachelorette) and Nikki (as the winner) by saying they’re the most ‘real’ since they’ll cross paths the most in the future. There were definite cliques in the house, no doubt. If we’re just going off Twitter and some of the reaction last night, Kelly, Andi, and Sharleen are definitely one clique (and also Team Nikki), and a lot of others are Team Clare. Kinda hard to say though since I know it’s possible for these girls to put on good faces on social media to each other, but then talk sh** behind their backs. Happens all the time.
People ask me about Ali reading the spoilers every season. I have no idea if she does or not, but it’s just like anything else. Once the spoilers are released, anyone who gives an opinion of what they THINK happens on the show you have to take with a grain of salt because they could be reading spoilers. I think most that invested into the show have an idea. Maybe they couldn’t recite every episode-by-episode spoiler and elimination, but they’re aware of what I’ve reported.
2) I have always believed you (and agreed with your theory when you first posted the spoilers) that Andi will be the next Bachelorette. You keep on saying that there’s no way it will go to the final 2 girl due to timing… but last season (Sean), you kept on saying that the gig was Lindsay Yenter’s if she wanted it. Aka, the final 2 girl. Why did you think so at that time and how would that have worked, timing-wise? You know what, you’re right. And that was a complete oversight on my part. It wasn’t til later on as we got closer to the finale did I realize my mistake and that there was no way it could’ve been Lindsey. Not because she was seeing someone, but for the reasons explained earlier that due to the filming schedule, and the “Bachelorette” filming beginning the same week as the finale of the “Bachelor” airing, you can’t possibly have the final 2 girl in the lead role.
3) Why are so many girls (including ones with bad edits) buds with so many of the producers? Elan, Cassie, Millsy… aren’t the producers in charge of their crappy edits? Yet Courtney Robertson (the villainess of her season) and Sarah Herron (the crier – who even stated in her blog the frustration she had trouble finding guys because they all knew her as the crier on the Bach) were seen hanging at Elan’s place on premiere night… I don’t get it. Remember, the producers aren’t the editors. The producers are the ones who pretend they’re your best friend in the world just to get you to say sh** you normally wouldn’t say. It’s the editors job to splice it all up and make you look foolish. I think these people once they’re off the show and there’s nothing they can do about it anymore, just kinda move on. Are they supposed to hold a grudge forever?
Oh, and I totally agree with your readers who have noticed that Shay (Sean’s sister, aka Mix and Match Mama) hardly ever mentions Catherine, and when she does, it’s very neutral and not gushing with compliments (like she does for other Bachelor contestants and Sean’s other friends). I wonder if it has to do with religion – I remember reading a Q&A saying that she doesn’t think people should date outside their faith, and, well, Catherine just got baptized right before their wedding.
Comment: I haven’t read Shay’s blog since her recap of the wedding, but you’re not the first person who’s told me that, nor do I think you’ll be the last.
So I’m watching WTA .. How do you think these women stay so attractive and thin? I imagine for some it’s genes, others healthy eating. Most of them are always so stunning.
Side question: I always wondered .. If you don’t mind me asking .. Is your blog your full time job or do you have another job? It’s so cool that you have a blog that so many people follow where you get to talk about the shows you love!
Comment: How does anyone stay attractive and thin? By eating right, working out, getting sleep…? Weird question.
Yes, my blog is my full time job. It became my full time job in August of 2011. Never thought it would ever get to that point but it has and I’m enjoying it.
My GF and I are keen followers of the Bachelor/Bachelorette series.
In tonight’s episode, she made an observation that we re-reviewd a few times over the course of the PVR’ed episode, starting at 23 minutes in, in paticular:
Did Kelly used to be a man? She has a very prominent adam’s apple, and, later in the episode, there’s a clear clip of her in the After the Rose ensemble where she swallows and her very visible adam’s apple moves up and down.
At first, I playfully scoffed at her observation, but, replaying several clips of the episode, there is little doubt that she has a throat unlike the others, quite man-ish, shall we say.
Perhaps this is simply a medical anomaly, or due to a particular medical history, or is she transgender.
Comment: So Kelly is now a tranny? Wow. I think I’ve heard it all.
Thanks for the blog- it definitely makes watching the Bachelor/ette MUCH more enjoyable.
I was thinking after seeing Sharleen again tonight that Juan Pablo only ever liked/was interested in her (obviously he kept the ones around he could get on/in). It’s the Bachelor so he can’t exactly eliminate them once he’s figured out he’s not interested. In the mean time you just bullsh*t people. I’m not saying he’s an upstanding person. Just saying once he chose Sharleen he might have checked out of trying to connect with the other contestants. Then once she left it became about keeping whoever he thought he could sleep with (more so than it already was). ATFR would be waay more interesting if he ditched Nikki & ask Sharleen for another chance. But she’s too smart for ABC to make her do anything she doesn’t want.
Thanks again & have a great week!
Comment: Well, he’s definitely not gonna do that on the finale, even though Sharleen will be in attendance along with others.
Yes, people do seem to forget that once you sign up for the show, it has to have x amount of episodes with eliminations each episode. So you have to play the string out even if you know early on who your final 1 or final 2 are. You can’t just stop filming and be like, “Ok, I’m done. This is the one I want.” So of course stuff gets exaggerated and you go out on dates with people you know you aren’t going to pick in the end, along with being forced to say things about them you don’t mean. I get it. But I don’t think Juan Pablo was only looking at Sharleen and no one else and once she left he didn’t care. He didn’t care from the beginning. Don’t know how many times I can reiterate that.
GET RID OF THE STUPID VIDEO ADS.
My ADD can’t handle these stupid things.
Comment: You can watch an extra :15 seconds then skip out of the ad. It’s not too difficult even for someone with A.D.D. like yourself.
Another season has come to an end and thanks again for making it the joke it is!
1. Do you plan on reading Courtney’s book? I can’t imagine it being anything other than her trying to convince the world that she got a bad edit and she isn’t really the bitchy nut job that she came out on the show. I don’t think the book is going to focus on all that. She’s not gonna be allowed to dive into the production aspect of the show. She’ll probably talk more about life before and after the show, with a little of what happened mixed in. But it’s certainly not going to be an expose on everything that goes on behind the scenes. No way will that happen.
2. Why do you think that the producers are now into picking either total steroid meat heads or gay guys for the contestants for the Bachelorette? For the last few seasons it has been either the roided meat heads like Ryan or Mikey or James or Rego or the gay guys like Frank or Ames or Brooks or Drew or Michael or just about every other guy on Des’ season that was not on steroids. Why not some just down to earth normal guys? Nothing at all against the “more pervert” guys and some of them make great friends and great guys to shop with and talk girlie stuff, but why do the producers think that is what women want to see for marriage material? The same goes for the meat heads. Do they go to gyms to recruit the most roided up, arrogant guys that are staring at themselves in the mirror flexing their muscles in tank tops? Again not what most women want. How about some normal guys for once? Or do normal guys not want to go on this show and by default (sorry Andi……that word) this is all there is out there? I know you are aware of guys who will be on Andi’s season. Is ABC still going with the trend of the meat heads and gay guys or are they actually choosing some normal, down to earth guys? What “down-to-earth, normal guys” would ever consider doing this show. Lets face it, you have to be at least 50% douchebag to even sign up for this show in the first place. And a little vain. And who’s vain? Dudes that spend 6 hours a day at the gym and take shirtless selfies, that’s who. So it makes sense as to why those guys are getting cast. If you’ve already got a great job, steady income, you’re attractive, and have a great social life, do you really need to come on this show?
3. Everyone and their mother knows that all 3 of the girls got it on with Juan Pablo in the overnight suites. What self respecting girl would want or expect an engagement one week after your man sleeps with 2 other girls on 3 consecutive nights? I mean come one, if he is doing you all night long……..wouldn’t you think he was doing the other girls too? Girls that go on this show, that’s who. To defend the girls here, I honestly don’t think the sex that happens in the overnight suites is done out of any sort of love for the other person. It’s two attractive horny people who haven’t been able to get their rocks off for a month. That’s why it happens. Men and women have needs and the fantasy suite fulfills those needs. Nothing more, nothing less.
4. So ABC is offering up a pot of gold for Juan Pablo to pop the question on the ATFR????
I am not the most traditional person in the world……..but isn’t marriage still supposed to be about love, wanting to be together till death do you part in sickness and health and all that stuff……not tying the knot because someone threw a wad of cash at you to make a proposal. In third world countries families are paid to get their son to marry a daughter from a lower class. How is that supposed to work out? Marriage is a serious thing with serious legal and emotional and financial consequences if there is divorce. Does ABC not have a conscience offering up money to get a proposal from a guy who so obviously doesn’t want to get married right now? Not in the least bit. That’s not what this show is about. It’s a television show first and foremost so they will do whatever they can to get a reaction from people.
5. Do you think Andi being Jewish will be brought up this season with her and they will make a big deal about men who want to raise kids Jewish and want to be part of a Jewish family? Not sure. I’ll let you know once filming starts.
6. Juan Pablo was never interested in getting to know any of the girls and never interested in marriage, that is for sure. Is there anything wrong with that……….I mean come on, does a normal person really think they can come on a show like this and find a wife in 8 weeks. Could Juan Pablo be the most realistic, down to earth batchelor ever as he did not have lofty expectations from this show from night one and just wanted some tail to have fun with in the fantasy suites? Yeah, there’s something wrong with it when you try to pretend that’s what you’re doing on the show in the first place. That’s always been my biggest problem with some of these people. Look, we know you went on for ulterior motives. You didn’t go on to find a spouse or a step parent. You went on for a free vacation, to get paid, to be on magazine covers, to make television appearances, and to boost your brand. Just own up to it and I wouldn’t have such a problem with some of the phonies who try and present themselves differently.
7. Can we expect when Grown Sexy Catherine gets impregnated by Sean that ABC will run a special about it and they can talk about the night they conceived and all the details? Then they will film her giving birth and televise it to the world? Getting really sick of this couple really, really fast. Wow, do they love the attention. Lets hope it’s put on the back burner for a while.
8. Steve…….want a male perspective. What do you think of surgically enhanced breasts? Not as good as the real thing or even better? Can you tell the difference? As a guy can you tell just by looking? If you meet up with a girl for a date and you can tell, is that a turn on? May seem like weird topic, but me and my friends talk about this and are looking for an unbiased males perspective. Can I tell the difference? I’m the king of telling the difference. Sure, I’ve slipped up here and there, but is there a better drinking game at the bar than playing “Real or Fake?” I don’t think so. For me, each has to be taken individually. Some boob jobs look great, others not so much. Can’t make a blanket statement that all of them are great because that’s just not the case.
9. This is a Dr. Reality Steve question. Here is the short version. Ok, Steve, went out with a guy. Went to dinner. Liked him. He called me a couple days later. Went out again. I met him after work. I do much of my work from my computer (I am not a blogger like you, but still it is a big part of my work). We are at a Starbucks and everything is going great, sipping coffee and dessert over some good small talk. He seems like an interesting, good guy. I need to borrow his lap tap to check some stuff from work. Well long story short, when I go to type in a web site, some previous sites he was on come up. There was some obviously porn sites, not just one but several. He steps out to go to the bathroom and I check his history and like a dozen porn sites. I am not a prude by any means, but to see this guy into porn on only the second date is just sorta creepy. The sad thing is that he seemed like any otherwise normal, down to earth guy and things were going great. Now he calls me and I am screening his calls. He sent me some texts and I ignored them except just a quick response telling him I am busy. Is it just wrong to judge a guy for finding porn sites on his computer history? Is it just expected that single guys look at porn? Is this just a normal thing now with guys in their 20’s and I should just expect it even it it really bothers me? Am I wrong for not wanting to date a guy that is into porn? And I guess I can’t find any guy that has never watched pron, but I just don’t want to know about it. And wouldn’t a guy who is into porn be smart enough to delete his history after watching it? That annoyed me too like he didn’t care that it was on there.
Comment: Porn is inevitable. If he doesn’t watch it, there’s probably something wrong with him. However, you seem to be with a guy who’s addicted to it. That’s a red flag. There’s a difference between liking it and being addicted to it. Maybe when he stepped out to go to the bathroom, he’d just been looking at it so he went to go punch his clown.
You have your own dating rules. If it bothers you, then don’t date him. If it’s something you think you can handle, then do it. Just know that most guys look at it. You just need to find someone who’s not addicted to it.
There’s nothing I love more than catching a grammar Nazi using bad grammar.
This is a quote from someone who lambasted you in an email that appeared in your “Reader Emails” column on 2/27/2013:
“In addition, your poor grammar reflects badly on yourself, your schooling, and your family. Take some time to study the 10 most common grammatical errors. You make all of them.”
One of the most common grammatical errors that people make is not knowing when to use reflexive pronouns (i.e. myself, yourself, himself, herself, etc.). These pronouns are used when the subject and object of a clause are the same. For example, “I look at myself,” makes proper use of the reflexive pronoun “myself”.
The subject of the clause when using “myself” has to be “I” and the subject of the clause when using “yourself” has to be “you”.
Your detractor made this very common grammatical error when she/he stated the following: “…your poor grammar reflects badly on yourself.” The subject of the clause is “your poor grammar” NOT “you” so the correct insult should be:
“In addition, your poor grammar reflects badly on YOU, your schooling, and your family. Take some time to study the 10 most common grammatical errors. You make all of them.”
Fu@k grammar Nazis, especially the hypocritical ones. NO ONE is exempt from making an occasional grammar flub. You write well enough to be entertaining and that’s good enough for me.
Comment: Ummmm, yeah. What she said. Totally knew that.
Send all links and emails to: email@example.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you Thursday.