I’m wondering if you are busier when the season is filming or if you are busier when it is airing? I sort of see you as a detective during the filming, which seems like a lot of work and would keep you busy. Do you then get to sit back and just watch it unfold during airing? Or are you equally busy when it airs?
Love reading the site! Thanks!
Comment: Writing-wise, I’m busier during the season. But right now while the show is filming, I’m constantly getting emails, texts, phone calls of what’s happening and they could seriously come at any time during the day. Got a text at 2:24 yesterday morning for example that had some information. Granted, I didn’t see it til I woke up, but still. When the show is filming, I consider myself on call because at any point I could get information regarding the show, whether it be big or small. Once it airs, with watching the show every Monday night, live tweeting, taking notes, writing the column Monday night/Tuesday morning, then taking emails all week to get ready for “Reader Emails” along with keeping up to date on any stories and links regarding the show plus my Thursday night live video chat, yes, I’ve been much busier during the season.
The offseason is more tedious work – putting all the pieces of the puzzle together, putting together the guy’s bios, checking on any and all information I get, etc. Certainly isn’t hard work, just constant and tedious.
I know you’re sick to death of JP and all things related, but I wonder why Claire’s video from her dad never got shown, considering she went as far as possible on this show without winning. Why not show it to him when she was supposedly in love with him, if she mentioned it the first time she ever met him? It’s just weird to me that they devoted precious screen time to it and then never showed it.
Do you think it’s possible the producers had a tiny moral moment and realized what an effed up thing it would be to have her waste that sacred video on this donkey on national TV? I’m glad she didn’t because I think she’s a decent human being and would have regretted it for the rest of her life, not to mention her future love would never find it as special.
Comment: I don’t think the producers had anything to do with it not being shown. My guess is it was more Clare. I’m sure producers wanted it to be shown, and the fact that it wasn’t makes me think that was her doing.
Thanks for another perfect season. You’re the best.
Since I never want to have to think about Juan Pablo or his season again, I’m gonna ask some general questions. Please feel free to mock me if these have been answered a thousand times before.
You’ve said several times that once they get down towards the end, the girls go out with their handlers shopping, going to the gym, etc. My question is, do the contestants bring money when they come on the show? Or does ABC pay for everything and then the contestants pay them back when they get home? No. The show pays for everything and the contestants don’t have to pay them back. Like for the plane flights and the hotel rooms and stuff? You think every contestant has to reimburse the show? No. All food, travel, and lodging is taken care of.
You’ve also talked about how the girls bring a bunch of dresses for the rose ceremonies and borrow dresses from the other girls. But what about the gowns for the final rose ceremony? Those tend to be much more formal and nothing you would wear for a regular rose ceremony. Does every girl bring a formal gown just in case or is this something they would buy on one of those aforementioned shopping trips? Final rose ceremony you have a stylist. Everything up to that point you’re on your own.
I know you did things like these for FNL and Lost, so here’s some questions for a fellow Nashville fan who doesn’t seriously analyze the show but enjoys the drama and soapiness:
Rank the following characters on where you would pick them if they were the women with you as the Bachelor (ignoring any relationships or marriages they may actually be in): Rayna, Juliette, Scarlett, Zoey, Tandy, Megan, Layla. If I was the Bachelor, and those were my final 7? Hmmmmm…in reverse order.
7) Layla. Blah.
6) Tandy. Can’t be trusted.
5) Megan. I liked her until she went and banged Teddy in the back of a car like she was in high school. I liked her better as Sonny Macier in “24.”
4) Zoey. Sneaky hot.
3) Juliette. Was never a huge Hayden fan until this show. I like her better now.
2) Scarlett. Like her much better with her real Australian accent, not the overly twangy one she has to use for this show.
1) Rayna. Connie Britton. C’mon. No brainer.
Rank these men on how they would do as the bachelor: Deacon, Avery, Teddy, Luke, Gunnar, Liam. Deacon, Luke and Teddy would never be the “Bachelor” cuz they’re too old. Liam is too much of a music snob and doesn’t have the look of being the Bachelor. Avery and Gunnar are your only choices and my guess is Gunnar would make the best “Bachelor.”
Thanks for answering these somewhat ridiculous questions!
I’m a health freak like that guy who burst your health bubble about Uncrustables. I look at you on your web cast and you look like you don’t eat and sleep well b/c your skin looks “off” and you look tired. Naughty naughty!!! At least you work out. Make sure you limit your daily sugar intake to NO MORE than 30 grams!!!! 3 Uncrustable sandwiches is your daily sugar limit…BE A GOOD BOY and your heart valves will thank you.
Love you Steve! I really do! haha
Comment: I don’t eat and sleep well? Ummmm thanks. Oh and my skin looks off. Ok, if you say so.
I searched to see if someone already asked this. I apologize if I skimmed over it and didn’t see.
What do you think Juan Pablo would’ve done had Des picked him and proposed? Do you think he would’ve changed his tune and said he loved her and accepted the proposal? Or do you think he would’ve said, “I like you a lot and I want to keep this private now. Once our 4 month hiding is over, then we can have our REAL relationship and our real romance will begin.”
Haha I mean, I think it would’ve been a bit different when Des was in the driver’s seat.
I just totally wish he would’ve been asked that question recently. I mean, what did he expect when he went on the Bachelorette? He knew what it was about regardless of if he watched the show before or not! Lol! I assume if asked recently, after the last ATFR show, he would’ve said, “I’m not sure what I would’ve done. I would’ve been very honest. I would’ve done what I was honestly feeling at that time, and if she didn’t like it then I would respect her and if she wanted to leave I would let her go.” Blah blah blah.
Honestly he’s just a typical narcissist.
Comment: Kinda hard to imagine that hypothetical since Juan Pablo was never getting picked by Des for any reason whatsoever.
Hey Steve! Prepare for some extremely retro questions – I can already feel you rolling your eyes as you skim through my questions but bare with me. I suddenly had the desire to rewatch all the seasons of bachelor pad (which is extremely ironic considering I had no idea about Bachelor in Paradise until 10 minutes ago) and some questions stirred up in my mind.
1. Did Krisily and Dave date after Bachelor Pad finale? and do you think Krisily was ever jealous of Natalie? It seems like Krisily was always throwing shade at Natalie throughout the season when her and Dave started to partner up. Also Krisily is a co-host for the Bachelor Pad aftershow on Afterbuzztv.com and there are a few episodes where she once again throws shade at Natalie, saying all she ever did on the show was drink and take her top off yada yada. I’m just curious. No, Krisily seems to prefer women over men in her bisexuality.
2. How do you feel about the Holly and Michael situation and is there any truth to Erica calling Michael a horrible man when she was eliminated. Are there any ties between the two? I don’t care for Holly in the least bit and thought it was pretty sh***y what she and Blake agreed to do for the sake of television. Not sure on the Erica stuff because, well, I don’t care for either and we all know why.
3. Did you like Jillian/Jillian’s season?? I think that was actually my favourite season of the franchise, so i’m just wondering if you agree or not. She was a little bit of a drunk mess on the show, but personality wise I think she carried the season well as opposed to Desiree and Emily. I honestly don’t remember many of the dates on Jillian’s season vividly at all. And the fact that she chose a guy who was emailing his slam back home about how much he didn’t want to be there, then came back on the show and she ended up picking him, then lived with him for a year before realizing he was a player was all just a waste of time.
Did you listen to the latest podcast with Jason and Chris? I thought it was interesting that Chris said if they had their way they would get married this Fall. This leads me to believe that they are waiting for a date from production to have it televised. What do you think? I mean why else wouldn’t they have their way?
Comment: It absolutely is going to be televised. They’re under contract.
I was so psyched to hear you are a Dawson’s Creek fan! I was a teen who grew up on Cape Cod, but my life wasn’t nearly as interesting as Dawson Leary and Co. I’ve loved being able to relive my teen years on Netflix! I have to ask: This show was soooo long ago, it’s hard to remember exact moments, but I’ll try.
1. favorite episode The finale.
2. favorite character Pacey.
3. least favorite character/ episode I don’t think there were any I didn’t like.
4. favorite season The first.
5. favorite storyline The Dawson/Pacey/Joey love triangle.
6. least favorite storyline Probably when Andy started going off her meds. Was a bit much.
I love your site. It’s the only reason to tune into the Bachelor. I’m wondering if you’ve seen I the MTV show “Are You the One?” It is ten girls and ten guys and they need to figure out who they are most compatible with in the group based on compatibility testing. I think it would be interesting if the Bachelor did this such that the audience knew who is most compatible with the Bachelor as the action was happening (but not reveal to the contestants until WTA or ATFR). What are your thoughts? It’s obvious that compatibility has nothing to do with casting, so I guess from the show’s perspective this is risky.
Keep up the great work!
Comment: Have not seen that show and doubt I ever will. Already with too many shows on my plate.
I was listening to Jason and Molly’s most recent podcast where Chris Siegfried filled in for Molly. He mentioned that while the show was airing, even the people who he told he won questioned him and said “Wait, isn’t she with Brooks?” I wonder where they got that from:) Just goes to show the extent of your following and it’s cool that they swore by you. I’m sure Chris knew very well they got that idea from you so why didn’t he say so?
Comment: He’s about to have a wedding televised by them. Maybe he’s just scared to mention me. Not really sure.
Send all links and emails to: email@example.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you soon.