The Bachelorette 10 - Andi

The “Bachelorette” Andi Episode 4 Recap Including My Thought’s on How Eric’s Departure Was Handled

-The group date was interesting to say the least as 11 guys got to play basketball. But not before getting a history lesson from Andi. “New England is actually the birth place of basketball.” Impressive. Andi can read Wikipedia. Great. Brian however, is giddy with excitement. His basketball shorts are all on fire now that he gets to show off in front of Andi. I’m sure he’s got a basketball boner over this. I mean, c’mon. He played basketball. He now coaches basketball. This is the perfect date for him. You know, every season this show airs, I find myself asking, “You know what they need to integrate into this show? The WNBA.” Prayers answered last night. I mean, there’s that one girl who’s the good dribbler. Oh! Oh! Oh! And her over there, that’s the one tall blonde who can shoot. And that other one whose names escapes me? Yeah, she’s good too. Man, it’s like a who’s who of WNBA superstars out there, and I mean that literally. Call it sexist, but as my old radio partner Dave Smith used to say, “The reason the WNBA isn’t successful isn’t because men don’t watch it, it’s because women don’t watch it either. I bet you can’t name one female friend of yours that is a fan of the WNBA.” It’s a niche audience, and that niche audience isn’t very big.

-So they thought it’d be fair to put the guys in a game vs the WNBA’s best. It was a horrible idea. The only score we ever saw on the board was 30-8 and my guess was Brian had all 8 pts for the guys. I hate to tell Brian this, but I’m convinced I could beat him in a free throw shooting contest. I haven’t shot a ball in probably 2 years, but I’m pretty sure I could step into a gym today, take a few warm-ups, and make 80 out of 100 free throws. I mean, you really want some of this Brian? (You’ll have to wait through the first guy before you see some real highlights):

Yeah, you don’t want none of this.

-The guys got slaughtered, embarrassed, and humiliated. So the better idea was to have them play against each other and the winning team got extra time with Andi. The teams were, Team Rosebuds: Nick, Cody, Andrew, Eric, Marquel, & Brian. Team Five of Hearts: Josh, Tasos, JJ, Chris, and Patrick. Brian was super fired up before this one to give a pep talk to the boys. Brian: “Hustle and defense wins championships.” True, but it also helps if you have a little talent, and that team you’re coaching has none. But hey, good luck. It’s not like you’re playing against the 92 Bulls. You’re up against 5 guys who have their jerseys turned inside out with a heart drawn sharpie on the front. Not the most intimidating team to say the least. The first half of this game was a hot mess. So lets see, so far on group dates they’ve stripped, sang Boyz II Men, and played basketball. Is there anything these guys can do well other than scarf down protein shakes? And in two weeks we get to see them mime? Lord.

-So at halftime, the score was 6-6. If my math serves me correct, assuming they were playing normal basketball rules and each basket counts for 2 pts, that means three baskets were scored by each team. In a half. Wow. They suck. The game kinda resembled when John Travolta learned how to play basketball in “Grease.” Yes, that bad. Coach Brian got the troops fired up for the second half because they came out smokin’. Although we never saw the scoreboard shown in the 2nd half, according to Andi, the Five of Hearts only had one basket all second half, and Brian’s team wiped the floor with them. Team Rosebuds for the win and they couldn’t be happier. But seriously, do you think for a second that Brian was going to let any team that he was playing on lose? He’s Coach Brian. He speaks in coaching clichés. Not a chance in hell they were gonna lose. Good thing though because my guess is that he would’ve laid into them with a tongue lashing the likes of which we haven’t heard since the Bobby Knight era. You know, like this all-time rant during halftime of a game in the late 80’s (WARNING: Some serious f-bombs dropped in this one):

-The Five of Hearts are completely dejected they lost and don’t get to spend time with Andi. I can’t decide if Josh is about to cry or punch a hole through the wall. He’s pissed. Hey, maybe Nick was right about that temper thing. The Five of Hearts do realize that they’re not all being kicked off the show and will see Andi in a couple days, right? Holy crap. Get your chin up, boys. This isn’t the end of the world. Hey, you gave it your best effort. You know what they say in sports. “It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s playing with a sharpie’d rose on your inside out jersey and then getting your ass handed to you by a team with one good player.” Or something like that. Five of Hearts sulks, curses, drink beer, and mope around while Team Rosebuds celebrates by dousing each other in champagne. Do you realize how pissed Andrew was that he didn’t have Patrick there with him to celebrate with a champagne shower? He must’ve been devastated as well. Although he probably got over it quickly knowing that it was only a matter of time before Patrick would go all golden shower on him again. I really see a romance budding here. So nice for them to show us their relationship.

-At the cocktail party, they show us Eric and Andi’s conversation which was absolute foreshadowing for what was to come later. Andi says their relationship isn’t progressing and it’s stalled. Eric says he definitely wanted things to be different. Every time he had with her is so formal and wants just to be normal with her. Andi: “It’s like we can’t keep that flow up.” Eric started to open up more and talk about his family, but this seems to be the crux of their problem. I didn’t understand how Andi could say that Eric didn’t open up to her before that. He told her a story about Syria and him almost dying and having to text his family that he wasn’t gonna make it. He told her about his Global Odyssey project of traveling to 195 countries before 2016, and Andi was totally on board with it. I think it’s safe to say there just wasn’t a romantic connection between the two of them, and they both dug for reasons as to why it wasn’t clicking. Eric most definitely opened up by sharing those stories on their first date, so not really sure where Andi was coming from with that. More on this later.

-Brian took Andi back down to the court because apparently that’s the only place where she finds him sexy and hot. He taught her a few basketball moves which went over horribly since she was dressed in a tight leather dress and had heels she could barely walk in, not to mention she was standing on a slick basketball court. Not quite the workout clothes you need to learn the game of basketball. Andi challenges Brian to make a half court shot. Although nothing is at risk since Brian didn’t make any sort of bet out of it, he makes the half courter and Andi practically melted on the court. She called him hot over and over and completely flabbergasted that someone made a half court shot in basketball. Andi, I know you’re not quite the basketball expert, but it was a half court shot. He didn’t jump over the moon. Lets calm down a tad. Of course, Brian gets nothing out of the date except a hug since he wasn’t ballsy enough to put something on the line for the half court shot. And I don’t care that she referred to Brian as hot, but her referring to him as “coach” 592 times = friend zone. Even though she went straight from the court with Brian to making out with Nick, Brian got the rose since this was his day to shine.

Page 4 of 6« First...23456

June 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

So, they have a guy who dies and decide to go the “honest” route to portray his exit? It may have been honest, but MF doesn’t care about honesty. He’s got a proven track record of over 10 years in that regard. No, he looked at sagging ratings and decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth. That golden egg was teed up for him. All he had to do was hit it. And so he did. Can you imagine MF avoiding the topic and passing on the ratings potential? That just wasn’t going to happen. Sure, he tried to do it tastefully and avoid any backlash for his ratings grab, but there was no need to be mean spirited in this case.

As for Eric personally I have no opinion. He’s no worse than a lot of people have been on the show and certainly better than quite a few. But we really can’t know him any better than anyone else. I do take some exception to anyone that goes on the show, rolls around in it for 4 weeks, and then suddenly is outraged that the paid lead is acting. Come on. Like I commented in the prior blog, that’s like Captain Renault, from Casablanca, opining “I’m shocked, shocked that there is gambling going on here”. There was no need to be duplicitous. Andi is being paid to put on her makeup, show her girls and pretend to enjoy her dates. She said as much. She’s “working” her tail off (read acting) and is exhausted after four weeks of being the focal point of the show. Are these guys really that drunk and stupid that they don’t know what this show is all about? Hadn’t we already gotten to the point where pretty much everyone was joining the show to pimp their business or get their 15 minutes? Did we suddenly get a batch of guys that fell off the back of the turnip truck?…. Besides Chris, I mean.

2. gemma86

June 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM

This may come off as mean…but…I hope they don’t dwell on Eric much anymore the rest of the season. Its unfortunate and I feel for him and his family but I think we should move on. He was a part of the show, not the show and I want to get back to THE SHOW. Again condolences RIP but I’m ready to move on.

AS far as MTA I don’t expect much from the guys because they only knew him like what 2 -3 weeks? I think its unfair to them to have to come up with some deep emotional bond that may have or may not have been there. Sure they’ll be sad but I dont think it will be more than the general “he was a great guy”. If anything I think they should just show a video that pays tribute to his life and what he was doing, no need to draw it out anymore than necessary. And I dont need to see Andi and the F4 reaction to his death. We already know they will be upset and shocked, and will cry so please lets just get back to THE SHOW!

Finally as far as their “argument” I will side with Andi. Obviously her intentions are not to seriously hurt anyones feelings so I get where she felt attacked by being called fake when fro what I’ve seen she does care about the guys and is trying and it is a sensitive predicament to be in. I just think the writing was on the wall with even Andi foreshadowing to there being a “stall” in their relationship. IMO it would have been acting for her to be all gushy gushy if its not there. I think it was a hard pill for Eric to swallow that “Shes just not that into you”. And by dammit she has that right to be 🙂

June 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Gemma, do you really think MF is going to pass on the ratings opportunity presented by the filmed responses of the F4 being told of Eric’s death? If you wondered how that was going to be handled, last night was your answer. We’re going to see every moment of every tear shed that day. Cynical, yes. But it’s a cynical show. They’re just not going to pass on an opportunity like this. The Bachelor was getting a little long in the tooth, with a lot of phonies populating recent shows…. And then THIS happens. Oh, they’ll milk this puppy for all it’s worth, while trying not to offend too many people. If there is any backlash, expect the show to respond that they wanted to be honest and true to Eric’s memory, and that editing out the responses would have been dishonest. Like it, or not, the major subplot this season is Eric.

4. oyoung1117

June 3, 2014 at 12:12 PM

As far as the way the show handled it–I think it could have been handled a little better. Mostly, I feel like if Andi had said anything slightly regretful about the argument like “Watching it back I think he was just using the wrong words to describe how he felt and I just misunderstood, because he was a great person and wasn’t trying to offend me” it would have made her part better and seem less like she thinks she can do no wrong which she had just exemplified during the argument itself. And also it would have been nice if they maybe had a producer or guy who had gotten closer to him also on to share what a great guy he was.
    As for the argument–I think he really just wasn’t articulating what he meant very well and she was too tired and just not into him enough to even try to understand what he meant.
    I feel like her whole break down about being so tired was kind of what he meant. She kept saying “How can you say that when I have been working my ass off and trying so hard for you guys?” and I think he sensed that she was trying so hard and that is what he wanted her to stop doing. I think he wanted her to say, “Oh my gosh I am just so tired!” And have a real conversation with her instead of feeling the need to be bright and charming with him.
    So honestly, I really take his side. I can’t stand people who feel the need to fake it and paste on a smile all of the time, but I do recognize that many people prize that quality in themselves so it is just a personal pet peeve. Ashley was a bachelorette who immediately jumps to mind who was a little more “open” with the guys about what she was feeling rather than just keeping up the act all of the time. Also, another reason I take his side is because she kept (even in his memorial interview) saying he wasn’t really opening up to her. I think telling her how he walked away from his faith was pretty open myself. And to be honest, maybe it was edited it out, but she seemed like she listened to his story, digested it, and moved on, rather than starting a deep conversation about it. That’s what being open would have looked like on her side. You know, confession and mirroring? The basis of all deep friendships?
    I don’t really dislike her for the fight though because it probably boiled down to the fact that she wasn’t interested enough in him to make it work.
    But I do blame her for freaking the eff out that he confronted her for having the audacity to criticize her. It just seemed like a spoiled brat thing to do.

5. angelfish

June 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM

All the harping on Eric being a bad communicator is ridiculous. The man went to foreign countries where he DID NOT speak the language and communicated.

His entire travel epic or odyssey or boondoggle or whatever was about COMMUNICATING! With other people. About their lives. It was all over his photos and blogs and videos.

His “mission” was to communicate.

But all of the sudden, with Andi, he was incapable of any coherence? Sorry, just not buying that. She didn’t want him for keeps and it bruised his ego enough to go on the offensive. He’s not bad, she’s not bad but together they would be bad.

I know what I saw on my TV screen and how I interpret those words & actions.

YMMV

6. karynr

June 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Well put, Angelfish. No one did any wrong.

Rob, I agree completely. MF, aka the MF, cares about ratings, not people.

RS has handled this beautifully.

7. LynnMJ

June 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Steve, on the topic of air travel and your comment. Maybe the person beside you sighed because he/she wondered why the plane wasn’t ‘fixed’ BEFORE they boarded passengers??….Just sayin’. As far as how the Eric situation was handled, I have one word…..tasteless. And, Steve, I agree 100% regarding Dylan. It’s his choice, but why he’d choose to come on a show like this so soon after tragedy is beyond me.

8. bigfatwoman

June 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM

As for the heavy sighing woman on the plane —there could be a hundred different reasons she was exasperated. Maybe her husband just told her their kid wrecked the car again, she was just fired — the list goes on.

oyoung….I agree 100% with your view.

As far as Dylan going on the show, you’d have to ask him his reasons. Everyone deals with obstacles in their own way.

9. angelfish

June 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Thanks Karynr,

I just watched an interview with Eric’s brother,Scott on “Entertainment Tonight”. He was very gracious and said the whole family was fine with how the show went. He also said he’d like to sit down & chat with Andi.

Chris Harrison did a phone in and said that since Eric’s exit interview was brief & a little tense, they subbed in his little interview with Andi.

So if the family is fine with what went down, that should be the end of all the huffing & puffing! *LOL*

10. dulcinea14

June 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I became a fan of Andi’s when she told JP off for being fake. She wasn’t happy that JP dismissed her feelings. So when Eric approached her with sincerity and kindness and she flipped out, my opinion of her took a nose dive. She absolutely overreacted and didn’t even attempt to listen to what he had to say and take it to heart. She is a hypocritical spoiled brat. The interview at the end? Could she seem any more glib? Screw her.

11. ashleigh11

June 4, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I work in pharma sales and most of the Bachelor/Bachelorette group dates and cocktail parties remind me a lot of the happy, sometimes mindless fakery that is just part of the required social scene. Andi is good at this. Eric is not. Eric has traveled the world and is savvy to the hardships and political struggles in countries where dressing up to drink champagne and have cursory “I so want to find love, this is so great, best day ever, omg, isn’t this hotel amazing!” conversation feels stilted and disingenuous at best.

After a solid first date, he was probably getting fed up with trying to find a few minutes to re-establish that connection with Andi, only to find her being formal and nice with him and maybe brushing him off or not really opening up to him. I get that this is part of the game, but Eric probably realized he wasn’t cut out for it. He opened up to her on several occasions but all I really heard from Andi was “hmm… interesting.” When he pulled her aside and calmly and rationally explained how he was feeling about her being detached or having a ‘poker face’ or just playing things up for the camera, he had every right to. He wasn’t yelling at her or insulting her. Andi chose to take it that any guy who was not fawning over her and telling her how fabulous she is = an insult. Instead of having a normal conversation about the frustrations of being tired, or just not feeling the right connection or whatever she wanted to say about it – she flew off the handle and went into tears and hysterics and blew everything he was saying wayyyy out of proportion.

I was watching that scene and just thinking – wow, this girl is sooo high maintenance and cannot *listen* properly. Eric is a good communicator – he tried to be real and tell her how he felt – in the moment. She just didn’t want to hear it and the melodrama that ensued is allll on her, as far as I’m concerned. My feelings have nothing to do with Eric’s tragic accident either. I would have felt the same, even if he was still around. Andi seriously needs to learn some interpersonal skills that go beyond small-talk and social-acting. I thought this during her over-dramatic Juan-Pablo explosion and this was just another (worse) example. She always needs to be right and if the guy doesn’t retract his statements, out come the tears and overblown fury. If Josh ever stops stroking her ego – watch out! So yeah, I was Team Eric all the way. He cut through the BS, trying to see if there was something there and what needed to happen to have a meaningful connection and she just didn’t ‘get it’. It’s like they were having two different conversations. All she heard was “how dare you criticize me!” Ugh. Girl, you did the same to JP. I half-wish, last season that instead of calmly saying “eees ok” – JP had just burst into hysterical sobbing and told her how tired he was and to just get out. On this show (AND last season!) Andi cries about something every 20 minutes – I hope Eric didn’t feel too badly about it. For a lawyer, she doesn’t seem able to hold it together very well.

Re – the aftermath – I wish they’d just chosen to show maybe 10 min about Eric’s life – maybe some video clips from his travels. I would love to have seen that instead of Andi fake-crying about how she can’t believe he won’t be at Men Tell All. God – this woman needs to stop being so self-involved!

12. serapa

June 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Dear Eric’s Sister,

I wish your family healing from this tragedy. What I saw of Eric was a very sincere person who was very different from Andi. He was well travelled and very street smart. Because of his travels, he had little time for formal “small talk”. It was as simple as that with Andi. He probably wasn’t a good fit for the show b/c of his sincere nature.

I am sad for your loss…Prayers to your family,

Sincerely…