The Bachelorette 10 - Andi

The “Bachelorette” Andi Episode 6 Recap Including Ratings, Deleted Scenes, & Charity Event This Weekend

-Cody’s turn to stop being the pet dog of the group and get a date. Andi really likes Cody A LOT. Well, she likes his eyes at least. Andi: “Cody has the most amazing eyes I’ve ever seen.” At least there’s that. She likes your eyes Cody. There. That’s one thing she likes about you. Everything else? Ummmmm….we’re still working on that. Andi: “Cody is definitely the farthest behind all my other relationships.” You don’t say? Man, could’ve fooled me. I thought the guy you hadn’t kissed yet, or gone on a date with, or barely spent any time getting to know whatsoever six episodes in, would totally be at the front of the pack by now. You mean, you like Josh and Nick more than Cody? You sure have a hell of a way of showing it. I mean, all those one times we saw you talking to Cody versus the bazillion times you’ve spoken about everyone else. I just figured you were playing hard to get. Apparently not. Well, thank you for informing us that Cody is light years…excuse me…dog years behind all the other guys on the show at this point, that this is a pity date, and there’s not a chance in hell he’s going to advance through the night. Completely had me fooled. She’s a tricky one that Andi.

-Verona is the birthplace of Romeo and Juliet and that’s where their date is. Which is really appropriate when you think about it. Romeo & Juliet we know is the tragic love story written by Billy Shakes, and Andi & Cody’s relationship is just, well, tragic. The similarities are so mind boggling really. You know, how Romeo finds Juliet dead and thinking he can’t live another day without her, kills himself, only that we see Juliet wasn’t dead, she wakes up and sees Romeo killed himself, so she kills herself. Yeah. And Andi might not recognize Cody if she saw him on the squat rack at the gym. So you can see why these two stories are so intertwined. In continuing with the Juliet theme, she takes him to Juliet’s courtyard, where they write and respond to love letters that people write to Juliet. Ok, ummmmm, I didn’t know this was a real thing. Seriously. I know I had to read it in high school, but I never did and just bought the Cliff Notes. I figured it was just a story and these weren’t actually real people. So I did what any smart human would do. I went to Google to find my answer. “Are Romeo and Juliet real?”

“There is a difference between “real” and “based on reality”. The Romeo and Juliet legends are (loosely) based on reality. Shakespeare’s play was inspired in part by an epic poem by Albert Brooke called “The Tragical Historie of Romeus and Juliet”, which had been written decades earlier. Brooke in turn was inspired by an Italian novella written years earlier by Matteo Bandello. Bandello was rewriting a story from Luigi Da Porta. They and all the other “Romeo and Juliet” authors were writing about events that occurred during the very early 1300s in Verona, where a civil war of sorts was in progress between two political factions, the Guelphs and the Ghibellines.

The facts: Verona was ruled by Prince Bartolomeo I della Scala, who really was trying to keep peace between the factions. And Dante really was living in Verona at the time as a guest of the Prince. The names “Capulet” and “Montague” are mentioned cryptically in his “Purgatorio”. He says they are “grieving”, but does not mention why.

If the fact list seems short, that’s because it is. 😀

The LEGEND is that a girl from one faction killed herself after her lover from the other faction was killed in the fighting. Everyone felt so sorry for her that she was buried in consecrated ground under the church, even though she was a suicide. There is no Nurse, no scheming priest, no marriage (arranged or otherwise), no Mercutio, no sleeping potion—all of that is grafted onto the story later. In some early versions of this story, their names are not Romeo and Juliet. In other versions, Romeo is hanged.

The Juliet house in Verona is an example of what my husband likes to call “un trappo di tourista”. They’ve been capitalizing on the success of Shakepeare’s play there for centuries.”

So there you go. So now people are writing in love letters to a person that was from a story and never really existed. Got it. I’ve lost all hope for humanity.

-As I try to pick myself up off the floor and continue on, Andi and Cody arrive at the night portion of their date. And if you thought the Romeo & Juliet story had a tragic ending, I think Andi & Cody could go down in TV lore as just as tragic. Might even be worse. Especially considering what each of them were wearing on their “final” date. Andi had some nude leather pants on that clearly looked like she was naked from the waist down when we first saw her. As for Cody, he’s taken a page straight from Andi’s wardrobe and made sure he wore a shirt where the V-neck went all the way down to his naval. The most impressive cleavage we’ve seen this season, and that’s saying something considering the hot pieces that Andi has thrown on in past weeks. Once their dinner date starts, you’ll never guess what Cody did? Yep. He wrote her a letter in the same fashion as the people write fake Juliet letters. For f***s sake, how many guys are gonna write her letters this season? Jesus. Can we get some originality here? Who am I kidding? I guess that’s waaaaaaaay too much to ask. Billy Shakes, Cody is not.

-It was at this point where I think everyone watching got seriously uncomfortable. Was Cody trying to brainwash Andi into liking him? Does Cody not know how to read body language? Did Cody realize Andi has tongued down every guy there numerous times and she hasn’t so much as patted him on the curl atop his head for six episodes? Does Cody realize that Andi wouldn’t fit into his life anyway since she has no interest in a diet that consists of egg whites every morning, chicken and asparagus for lunch, then lean protein and a Muscle Milk for dinner? Is Cody unaware of his surroundings so much that he thinks it’s a fashion yes to wear low cut V-necks down to his naval before Labor Day? And last but not least…Cody & Michelle Money? Some things about this franchise I’ll just never understand. So many questions, so little answers. But yeah, that was painful to watch. Cody practically begging Andi to keep him around, because he knows “you’ll fall in love with me the longer you keep me around.” Actually, that’s kinda creepy and you’re making all our skin crawl, Cody. In fact, I think Cody wants to wear Andi’s skin as his next suit based on how he’s acting. He’s just unloading on her with how great they’ll be, just give him a chance, and Andi is making faces and crying like she’s passing a kidney stone.

-It really was that bizarre to watch it all go down. Andi is a crying mess telling Cody how much she respects him, so much so that she couldn’t possibly hurt him by having him continue on. “I have so much respect for you…you make me feel amazing…but I can’t wait til hometowns to hurt you…and if you creep me out any more, I’m going to call the Italian police on you and have you arrested.” So with that, she sends Cody on her way. Which led to at least three emails/tweets that I immediately got after the fact which all read something along the lines like this:

“Did u catch the pants she was wearing & the shot after limo pulled away?? Waist down… a guy wearing crotch huggers.”

Yes, I saw. But in case anyone else didn’t, here’s what Andi’s crotch looked like in those leather pants as Cody pulled away…

AndiPants

Yikes. Not the most flattering look to say the least. At least now we have an idea what Andi looks like naked.

Page 5 of 6« First...23456

1. Athena

June 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM

FWIW, Whenever Andi and Josh have one of their conversations when she tells him he makes her nervous, that she’s not sure she can trust him, etc., he never ever acknowledges her being scared/nervous/etc., but simply launches into telling her she’s wrong. Basic communication skills would suggest that acknowledging someone’s feelings before offering reassurance is validating. Boo Josh. I guess it’s all in the pheromones for those two because it sure isn’t happening in the communication dept.

2. shouldbeworking

June 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I bet JJ will never tell another woman that he’s not good in bed…ha!

3. kinbville

June 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

When Andi told JJ “you wear your heart on your sleeve” I kept thinking..Insert…”I mean on your pants.” ha ha. Anyway, bad joke. I thought the same thing about the flesh colored leather pants. Andi, wear a shirt that goes down a bit longer in the front next time. GROSS! Poor Cody. She was all sweet, doing all the AWWWSSS and leading him on and then, boom, she waits till “dinner” to dump him. I guess ABC wanted us to see the dumb date but we all knew she was planning on dumping him the whole day. Eric was right, she’s not a bad actress. And finally, yes to all the viewers who write about her stupid duck face, especially during the rose ceremony. She has that permanent frown with her lips stuck out. I bet she already has frown wrinkles.

June 24, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Don’t you love the unwritten rules that have sprung up on The Bachelorette. You can’t talk to The Bachelorette too early if you already have a rose. Or, you can’t think you’re the front runner. Really? Why not? So you don’t offend a dozen uber-sensitive girly-men that you’ll never see again, except perhaps on MTA or Bachelor Pad (if your reputation is already so low it can’t descend any further)? In real life, if a guy whined about something like this he’d lose his man card and have to buy a round for the whole bar. The “men” really act like a group of little girls at a slumber party. No, she’s my girl! I saw her first! I can’t believe Nick had the nerve to talk to Andi first. I’m going to unfriend him right now! Oh, so Nick thinks he’s all that now, he’s soooooo conceited. Let’s short sheet his bed & unfollow him! Completely childish.

5. sandy

June 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM

And one bachelor doesn’t wash his hands after using the bathroom…. Gross!

6. vessel

June 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I can’t believe the amount of sh*t Andi takes on social media for the way the corners of her mouth naturally turn down. Yes I notice it, and I have seen others who have that mouth shape and yeah it’s an unfortunate look for sure. Heck Chris the farmer has it a bit, too. But she was born with her mouth that way the same way Sarah Herron was born with one arm. No one would dare ridicule Sarah for something that she was born with so I just wonder why SO many people think it’s absolutely fine to make fun of Andi for also something she has no control over, either? You can dislike her, fine, but that kind of nastiness is rather childish, IMHO. Just sayin’…

7. karynr

June 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM

vessel, isn’t it ridiculous?! She can’t help how her mouth is shaped. It doesn’t bother me at all. If it wasn’t magnified on TV or social media, no one would even notice. We all have physical attributes that may stand out to others, but isn’t it somewhat ignorant to give someone crap for how their mouth is shaped? I find it absolutely ridiculous, but those that don’t like Andi are all over her because of it.

8. amyrn22

June 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I think the reason why Andi’s mouth bothers people (including me) is because she doesn’t always look that way. She consciously turns her mouth down and sticks her lips out and honestly it looks like she’s trying to do it on purpose to look “sexy.” Maybe we’re all wrong, and it’s completely subconscious, but she only does it when a guy is talking to her one-on-one and it’s a close up of her face. It’s kind of like how Clare used to run her tongue over her teeth when she was talking to Juan Pablo to look sexy. Also, Andi changes her voice with every guy she’s talking to, so it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s practicing that “sexy face” lips pushed out look in the mirror. With Josh she’s all southern accent and then on Nick’s date yesterday, there wasn’t a hint of southern at all. It was a different raspy “sexy” voice. Not sexy at all, annoying as hell in fact, but she changes it all the time depending on who she’s with.

9. amyrn22

June 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Also, I can’t believe how many people are buying into this whole Josh situation. He seems so disingenuous to me. He knows exactly what to say, and it’s just line after line that has been used in the past on this show and worked. Something about him is so unattractive to me. His hair and tan and white teeth. He just seems so TV ready. So does Andi, so I think they’ll probably last, at least for awhile. They both seem to want the same thing- DWTS, the TV wedding, appearances on E news. They seem like they’re gonna be just like Sean and Catherine. Hopefully not as co-dependent as those two are though. This is totally off-topic, but I have to hand it to Des and Chris. They seem like the most normal couple that has ever come from this show, besides JP and Ashley. They do some bachelor stuff, but pretty much fly under the radar and seem really in love, in a real way, not in a obsessive S&C way. I remember hating Des during her season and being so shocked about Chris winning, but they’re actually normal and doing okay. Good for them. What do you guys think?

10. bigfatwoman

June 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM

@Amryn——-

I am definitely with you about Josh. He doesn’t appeal to me in any way from looks to personality to huge bleached white chompers. Andi’s choice of him certainly makes me question her judgment.

As far as Des and Chris, I really like them too. I follow them both on Twitter and they are just real and sweet. I feel the same way about Ashley and JP.

I am NOT a fan of Sean and Catherine (aka Lunkhead and Gigglesnorts). While I admire their convictions in their faith and their pre-wedding abstinence…..I have read way too many things about paid appearances, unhappy lemmings who were unable to get too close to them because of security. “Grown sexy, consummation station” and need I say more? I find them to be front and center on the “LOOK AT OUR LOVE” stage and it turns me off.

Last point….Andi’s naked leather pants…..so awful…..I thought for a moment she was wearing a mini dress.

This season is getting more and more stale as it progresses.

11. vessel

June 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM

@Karynr, yep totally ridiculous. She has a strong personality and thus people, I think, tend to really like her or really not like her. I think those who are in the camp that doesn’t like her are eager to jump over every flaw and imperfection with glee. I don’t think she chooses to frown, why would anyone consciously down turn their mouth? Also like I said if you watch Chris you’ll see a bit of the same mouth shape. I think she does it unconsciously because that’s pretty much her resting face. It’s exaggerated, imo, when she’s listening to someone and concentrating. I mean obviously when she is actively smiling or laughing she isn’t doing it, but I think pretty much the rest of the time that’s just sort of the natural shape of it. Haven’t noticed her voice pitch changing but maybe that’s just because I like her so I’m not looking for flaws and she doesn’t have any that have jumped out at me or bugged me, aside from “stop.” (which really bugs me but oh well) In any case for me she’s about a million times more entertaining to watch than Desiree. I’m sure Des is a lovely person but she was so vanilla and personality-minus to me as Bachelorette I snoozed through her season and thus Andi is a breath of fresh air by comparison. But happy she and Chris seem to be working out, I had major doubts for a while, and that shameless greedy $$$ campaign they had going for their “poetry” book? Yuck. I hope not too many suckers bought into that.

12. ashley4

June 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM

You do realize you basically just said the viewers of the show and thus the readers of your site are not smart, not intelligent (aren’t those the same?), not highly educated or successful? I’d watch it buddy, before you have no audience. If poor idiots are who are expected to watch the show what does that say about you? Also, I can’t speak for all of your posts but the “spoilers” for next weeks show don’t really seem much of a spoiler when you’re getting the info from the previews ABC air. Just sayin.

13. texan

June 25, 2014 at 6:14 AM

ashley4: “not smart, not intelligent (aren’t those the same?)”

14. Sunnyside422

June 25, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Watching Markus and his lack of personality, can understand why Andi failed to choose him. He is beyond dull and boring. Seldom if ever smiles and his puppy love for her is really sad. He is soon to be 26 but behaves as though he is 15.

And pool Dylan just needs some major hugging. Another person who has suffered losses recently and should never have come to this silly show!

Josh is following the script nicely…plying her with all the compliments she desires. But when discussing smarmy…Nick has it all! He strokes her mightely and she loves it. And his voice makes me think “mush mouth”. Find it difficult understanding him but then don’t care what he says cause it’s all fake and phoney. Another one who wants to “win” at all costs. The guys have him pegged for sure.

I think Andi gave up on the best guy, Eric. He was the whole package…never smarmy, always truthful, and definitely easy to look at it.

Poor Cody…how sad was his date with her. Pushing for affection will never work. So Michelle Money has finally decided to leave Graham alone. Never found him attractive at all.

15. Sunnyside422

June 25, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Sorry…word was supposed to be “poor” Dylan.

16. Dianne

June 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM

ashley4 – take it easy, honey. It’s Steve, whom you obviously don’t know well. It’s his blog and he can say whatever he wants. And no, “not smart” and “not intelligent” are far from being the same.

June 25, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I’ve said it before, but Des was incredibly boring (and a bit dim) & her season incredibly forgettable…. but Des would likely make a great wife. She’s very nice, appears to be very low maintenance & also seems very unlikely to rule the household with a heavy hand. She’d probably be a very loving Mom too. So, those traits are awesome, but just don’t translate into great TV. So, in the end, boring show, but she’ll probably have a great life with Chris. Kudos to her. Andi, is her polar opposite. She’s intelligent, outgoing, ambitious, interesting…. all the things that Des was not. But, based on her behavior on the show, I think she’ll be a nightmare wife. Maybe not Vienna, but more Vienna than Des, for sure. Yeah, I’m not saying Andi is dumb trailer trash, she’s not close to that. But I do think she’s high maintenance & unless she marries a puppy dog that follow her around and does what she says, it’s going to be a short relationship. I think that Josh is certainly playing the part of “Rover” here. But, is he really that way? I don’t think so. He, like Andi, are playing a part. Maybe they’ll carry it through and take all the goodies…. DWTS, Wedding, Appearances, maybe their own reality show (who knows). But when it’s all over, there’s a John & Kate implosion waiting to happen.

18. angelfish

June 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

So if a woman is ” intelligent, outgoing, ambitious, interesting”, then she has to marry a doormat to have a successful marriage? Or if a guy is “intelligent, outgoing, ambitious, interesting”, then his wife better be a mouse that stays home, birthin’ them babies and never opens her mouth?

Seriously? 2 “intelligent, outgoing, ambitious, interesting” people cannot meet, fall in love, get married and have a successful future?

Sorry, I know more successful marriages like THAT than ones where one spouse is totally subservient to the other. I live in 2014, not 1814.

19. vessel

June 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I wish someone could cite specific examples of Andi’s so called “nightmarish behavior” on the show? I’m not singling people out on here because I’ve seen a lot of people making comments about her being high maintenance, b*tchy, shallow, etc. from many sources and so far I have seen no evidence of this (aside from her possibly overreacting to what Eric said, but even that I think people make more of it than it was because he passed away and they feel bad, and also I don’t think he did a great job of articulating his thoughts to her). Emily was high maintenance! To me Andi seems to be a good listener, ask thoughtful questions, seems genuine and kind when she sends guys home, etc. Honestly what am I missing that so many people think any guy she chooses is in for a world of problems putting up with her? I’m so confused by this it sometimes feels like I am watching a totally different show than everyone else!

20. bigfatwoman

June 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I abhor the “low maintenance” and “high maintenance” labels applied to women.

The label isn’t meant to be gender specific, but let’s face it, it’s mostly used to describe women.

It’s insulting, simplistic and shallow. Hate it.

21. angelfish

June 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM

@vessel
    I don’t think you’re watching a different show, as much as you aren’t filtering it through a bitter, hyper-critical and resentful world view.

Some people just want to see the worst in everything and everyone, and delight in picking apart people they don’t even know.

I also dislike then term “maintenance” when applied to dealing with people. It’s extremely judgmental.

22. cjscjs711

June 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Don’t be too surprised if Mensans DO discuss this show. Member of Mensa myself and Mensans are very interested in current culture and cultural phenomena; including the reality-behind-the-reality shows, which your column provides. The show is much more entertaining and revealing from the informed perspective than from a naive perspective of either there-is-no-script or, just-about-every-word-is-scripted. Keep it up. But no, I doubt there is a SIG (special interest group) that meets every week just to discuss this show. 🙂

23. kasey31

June 26, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Really funny recap. I can’t get enough of the Cheetos references with Nick haha, too funny.

Vessel- You and a couple others bring up some valid points regarding Andi and the criticism she’s been getting here, from me included last week. I don’t want to be one of those viewers who hates on all the leads. I liked Ali, Ashley, Emily (while her season was airing, didn’t like her once it was over), and my biggest complaint about Des and was how boring she seemed, but I like her now. So I’ve never been one to pick on the contestants and their little idiocincracies, we all have them. The thing she does with her lip never bothered me either, and surprisingly, neither does the “stoooop.” I really liked Andi until the episode before last, and I just began to question why her personality varied depending on who she was with, but who knows how I’d act if I were in her shoes, and maybe bc each guy is different, she treats them differently.
    There are a lot of qualities about Andi which come across as completely sincere. I think all in all she seems very sweet, she’s smart, carries on good conversation with the guys, she’s funny, I love her laugh- she looks like she is genuinely having a good time with each guy and trying to get to know them all. She seems genuine in her feelings of sadness when she sends a guy home, goes out of her way to tell them how great they are and why she wasn’t feeling a connection, instead of just letting them go. When Dylan told the story of his brother and sister, she seemed genuinely empathetic towards what he went through, so I don’t want to pick on Andi and become someone who watches the show just to nit pick the lead when they’re undeserving of it. She certainly doesn’t come across as a bad person who is ill-intended- maybe just feeling her way through the process as the lead. And she’s doing a pretty darn good job. So thanks for bringing that up. She does seem to be very thoughtful with each guy in the questions she asks and in her responses.

I, too, will 2nd or 3rd BFW. High/low maintenance makes my skin crawl. And the whole “She’ll make a good wife bc she won’t ask me questions, unless she’s asking what I want for dinner” is so unattractive but not surprising coming from the source.

June 26, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Wow. Way out of context ladies. You can be intelligent, driven, etc and be a great wife and not high maintenance. I’m talking about women who always want things their way and require a lot of time, effort and money to keep them happy. All I was referencing is that Des seemed pretty relaxed, easy to please and unlikely to stir up drama. Andi seemed like the opposite, particularly after her hissy fit with Eric when he tried to discuss her behavior with her and be real. You can disagree whether she’s really that way or not.

For guys the term is not used the same. Guys who want it their own way and require, for example, dinner on the table at 6:00, a spotless house, and the final say in all decisions are not called high maintenance, they’re called controlling SOBs or sexist pigs. Which terms are worse? Should guys get upset because women are not typically called sexist pigs? Different terms, but there are negative terms for each of the sexes. Use or not use as desired.