Bachelor in Paradise

“Bachelor in Paradise” Episode 4 Recap Including When is the Next “Bachelor” Going to be Announced?

-We’re at the nighttime fireside chat where everyone sits around and they start doing ITM’s with people to set up the next person coming in. Michelle is talking to Jackie about how everyone there is paired up and she has no one. Enter Cody with a date card. Cody is bouncing off walls as usual, and he immediately goes for…Clare. He pulls Clare aside and tells her that he’s had his eye on her since Juan Pablo’s season. To be exact, “I liked Andi, Kat, and you.” So yeah, technically she was third on his list. Since Andi is engaged, and Kat isn’t on this show, he figured he’d go for Clare. Option #3. Hey whatever works for you buddy. Clare is game, but she’s kind of in a sort-of-maybe-I-don’t-know-what-we-are relationship with Zack. She tells Cody she’s with Zack but that doesn’t seem to deter him. He’s hell bent on getting a date with Clare. He’s pushing hard. And doesn’t seem to be taking no for an answer. But first, Clare must find out if Zack even likes her that much before she decides to answer Cody. This goes over about as well as a turd in a punch bowl.

-She asks Zack point blank what she should do and he says he wouldn’t be mad if she went on the date. Then she asks if the shoe was on the other foot, what would he do, and Zack possibly gave the worst answer ever by saying, “Well, it depends who shows up.” Ouch. Clare, he just went BBD on you. He’s looking for the Bigger, Better, Deal. If/When it comes along, you are yesterday’s news. Then these two started talking about “eggs in one basket.” A lot. Like, more than should be brought up in any normal conversation. Clare doesn’t want to put all her eggs in one basket with Zack like she did with JP only to be disappointed, and Zack doesn’t necessarily want a bunch of eggs in his basket because, well, he’d like some sausage patties, maybe some bacon, and even some ham if he could. Clare just wants straight eggs. Can’t be runny eggs. Just eggs. All in one basket because she’s that kind of girl. She says all her eggs are in his basket. Zack isn’t that type of guy and that’s where they will meet their demise later tonight. By the way, check out Chris Harrison’s blog today where he spells Zack’s name wrong at least 10 times.

-Clare and Zack had a deleted scene from their double date last week when they painted together. Surprised Zack didn’t paint a picture of Jackie.

-Cody is still hard after Clare. Even Lacy notices. “Cody came in like a wrecking ball.” You mean naked and swinging from a big, giant boulder like this?

Funny, I didn’t notice Cody carrying any sledgehammers and wearing a wife beaters and panties, but I’ll take your word for it, Lacy. Clare now goes and talks to Michelle about Zack and she’s starting to catch on. Even she is noticing that Zack is a little wishy washy. “Why can’t he be more like Cody?” Well, maybe because he doesn’t want to eat 20 egg whites every morning, do curls for hours on end, and he isn’t too keen on looking like the love child of Sean Lowe and Macklemore.

-Zack goes to talk to Graham about what Clare said to him and basically resolved nothing. I think he realized he didn’t give her the answer she wanted to hear. Cody is still working Clare. “You’re way better looking in person than on TV.” Clare: “I want a man that steps up…Cody is definitely letting me know how he feels.” Cody: “You’re my favorite one here.” Clare ultimately tells him “thanks but no thanks” because of the relationship she currently has going with Zack with a “k,” Chris Harrison. Anyway, since Kat isn’t showing up and Clare said no, Cody just decides to give his date card to Marcus for him to enjoy. Yippee. We get to see America’s Most Boring Couple on another date. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Date #2: Marcus and Lacy

-These two go to Casa Jaguar, which is the nightclub for all the cougars in Tulum. Kidding. I have no idea what it is, other than another completely unoriginal date put together by the producers. They have their own table in the back of a restaurant, which is something we’ve seen how many times already this season? Marcus tells Lacy he’s very smitten by her, and Lacy either hasn’t watched an episode of this franchise before or has the vocabulary of a 4th grader because she reacts as if she’s never heard that word uttered before. She tells Marcus he can be open with her and that nothing is gonna scare her away. I think it was at this point that Marcus either said “I love you” directly, or masked it with “I love you” and then followed it with something he loved about her. Couldn’t hear. Either way Lacy says she wanted to say it back to him but she just couldn’t. Because it wasn’t the right time, or because you had known him less than 14 days at that point? Which one sweetie because we’re dying to know. Man, and I thought the amount of delusion on the “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” were ridiculous. Marcus and Lacy and absolutely taking the cake this season. Yes, I understand they spent waaaaay more time together than a couple would on the “Bachelor/ette,” but still…two weeks. You’re two weeks in to knowing someone. You’re not in love. Just stop it. You’re embarrassing your family Marcus for how quickly you fall for someone with a pulse, boobs, and lady parts.

1. picklesmcgee

August 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Uhh, pretty sure the ocean makes Sarah feel vulnerable because she only has one arm. I thought that would be an obvious assumption.

2. bigfatwoman

August 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I had vowed not to watch this show….but I’ve been glued since episode 1. It is so trashtastic. I love it.

Answer me this about Sarah…..I think she’s a lovely girl, beautiful inside and out and way too normal for this show….but, does anyone know why she doesn’t wear a prosthetic arm? I’m sure she has her reasons and I’m sure she doesn’t need one to function any better, but aesthetically it would just look so much better. There is nothing gross about her missing arm, it’s just that it’s so distracting to the eye (at least for me).

I saw Arie’s tweet last night about “have fun at the farm” and I thought, “wow, I was unsure this guy was a douche, but he certainly just confirmed it.” What a sore loser.

3. ashleigh11

August 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM

AshLee’s apology to Clare might have sounded a little more sincere if she hadn’t wandered away for it muttering under her breath that she’s such a b*tch. I think AshLee has learned how to meticulously fake that she’s a nice and classy person, but she just isn’t. And all of that after Clare gave up her date with Graham to placate sourpuss AshLee on day one. I’m glad Clare called her out on it. That was incredibly shady of her and a pretty low blow.

Re Kalon – I actually thought he was pretty hilarious. He’s not a guy you’d date (sadly, I know this after having dated a Kalon clone for years), but he’s good TV and he nailed every cheesy romantic one-liner cliche perfectly. I also love the charity work he does for shelters and animal rescues with GiveBones in his private life, so he’s not a bad guy – just a bad romantic prospect.

Even though BIP is a total gong-show, I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

4. JovisMom

August 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM

bigfatwoman – I know we have disagreed w\ things in the past but I agree 1000% with you on the Sara deal.
    She seems very sweet and I have also wondered why she doesn’t wear a prosthetic arm… I have a feeling that perhaps she does own one but the show asked her not to wear it for the show for the “drama”… No sure.

5. oyoung1117

August 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM

About Sarah and her lack of a prosthetic. I think when a person is really self-conscious about something, thinking that somehow you can hide it on some level is really inhibiting. You are always afraid of the moment your secret “gets out” and you feel like you are lying about who you are because you are ashamed of it. But the moment you allow yourself to come out of hiding–you are free. Terrified and still probably pretty self-conscious, but free. You don’t have to worry about the moment someone realizes you don’t have an arm, they recognize it the moment they see you. It is who you are and you are okay with it.

August 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The thing is with Sarah is that if you’re going to go with the stump rather than a prosthetic, then you really need a little attitude behind it…. Or add a little humor, or something. If you go with the stump and then are super self conscious, then you come across as someone who you have to tippy toe around and constantly build up or the insecurities will constantly surface. Guys are instantly going to feel awkward, typically…. And especially on this show where guys have the depth of a kiddie pool…. If it really bothers Sarah as much as it seems to, and I don’t blame her at all for feeling insecure, I’m sure most of us would feel that way…. Well, then go with the prosthetic and feel comfortable. I find myself wondering if she does have a prosthetic and the producers bullied her into not wearing it. That would explain a lot for me.

7. cjscjs711

August 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I’m sure Sarah has her reasons for not having or wearing a prosthesis. Outside of wearing a long-sleeved shirt, I’m not sure there’s much she could do about the obviousness of it. I don’t know if she’s ever discussed the details of it but I actually think it would be interesting to hear. Maybe she doesn’t want to seem like a poster child for disabilities, but just like this discussion – we’re clueless about the options or problems.

8. shari253

August 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I think that the reason Sarah does not wear a prosthetic arm is that she was born with her arm the way it is. She has been this way her whole life. It is different than someone who lost their arm in an accident or military service. I agree that her partial arm is a bit disconcerting but I admire her courage to be free of a prosthetic.

9. Scout

August 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM

RE: Sarah and a prosthetic.
    I don’t know why, nor do I actually care, but I follow her on social media and I’ve never seen her with one. So I don’t think its a producer thing. What I do think may be producer manipulation would be getting her to talk about it. ie: “oh sarah, don’t you feel like your one arm gives you limitations? don’t you feel insecure. you’re different because you have one arm” and then get her reaction. She probably doesn’t even think about it in her day to day life because, like shari253 said, she was born without it.

August 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Scout, good point. I’m sure the producers dig into her insecurities pretty hard. I feel for the girl. The Bachelor franchise, especially BIP is completely wrong for her. But, just because she seems sweet and lost an arm, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t enjoy the attention and notoriety just like everyone else. And because she only has one arm, people are more inclined to go easy on her. So she avoids the sledgehammers delivered via social media that most everyone else has to endure.

11. molliebsmith

August 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

thoughts on this week’s episode:
    kalon’s date was the funniest part
    poor marquel
    ANDREW RIPP IS A DREAMBOAT https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/let-love-win/id632774958?i=632775212

12. Cndgirl

August 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Maybe this is our opportunity to explore with ourselves why we feel uncomfortable about Sarah. I’m also a little uneasy, but I’ve been trying to think about that, and understand what that means about me and about what I see – I don’t think the solution should be that Sarah should get a prosthetic so the rest of the world feels more comfortable. I give her full props about being vulnerable and putting it out there – whatever her reasoning is.