Bachelor in Paradise

“Bachelor in Paradise” Episode 4 Recap Including When is the Next “Bachelor” Going to be Announced?

-The big controversy last night surrounded AshLee and Clare. AshLee was having a private conversation with Zack, well, one she thought was private. After Cody was still working Clare a little bit, she tells him officially she’s gonna work on things with Zack. In a hammock conversation, AshLee says to Zack “If you’re not totally sold on Clare, then don’t do it. I like Clare, but…cuck-koo. She f***ed a guy in the ocean.” Ouch. A horrible choice of words. I’m not sure why AshLee seemed to have it out for Clare in that conversation since it’s not like Clare was interfering with her and Graham. But that was brutal. Lets remember, the first chance Clare got last season, she immediately went to the media to say that she never had sex in the ocean with Juan Pablo. So for AshLee to say it with such certainty was pretty sh***y, whether she thought the cameras were on her or not. At the end of her conversation with Zack, she realizes there was a camera on her the whole time and starts the damage control. That’s where it basically got worse.

-The game of telephone began as Zack told people about what AshLee said, and even AshLee told some of the girls she got caught on camera saying something she probably shouldn’t have. Lacy was the one who ends up relaying it to Clare of what was said, and needless to say, Clare looked like she was gonna go postal on someone. But first Clare must confront Zack about it and ask why he didn’t stick up for her when AshLee said that. Zack just wants to stay out of any drama, but Clare thought he should’ve told her off since, well, Zack is supposed to be defending her. I actually see Clare and Zack’s side on this. AshLee says something about your girl, you defend her. He did a little when she AshLee ocean comment and Zack responded with, “I don’t know about that.” Only Clare and Juan Pablo know what happened in the ocean. She’s vehemently denied it ever since it aired, so, who knows at this point, but I’ve heard the same from numerous people as well. But I can understand why Clare was upset because Zack didn’t seem like he cared. And in his ITM, he said he actually didn’t care what Clare did on Juan Pablo’s season. I think Clare was just so pissed off at this point, nothing Zack said would’ve satisfied her at that point. The damage was done, and Clare was on the warpath for AshLee.

-The Clare vs AshLee confrontation went about as well as you’d expect. AshLee’s biggest mistake was pretending she didn’t know why Clare was mad. When she pulled her aside and the first thing out of her mouth is “I hear you’re upset with me,” that didn’t help her case. From that point on, when Clare called her out for what she said, AshLee seemed remorseful. She didn’t try and defend what she said, nor deny it. She said she felt bad. “If I hurt your feelings, I wanna make it right…you’ve been nothing but kind to me.” Clare says while she appreciates the apology, she feels disrespected and that what AshLee did was tacky. And she’s right. I thought AshLee handled herself about as well as she could after having got caught with her hand in the cookie jar, and even tweeted out last night that she shouldn’t have said what she did.

-Now the debate is what usually is debated in instances like these: Is AshLee really sorry for what she said, or is she just sorry because she got caught and now she’s basically forced to apologize? All depends on what you think of AshLee as a person. I don’t know either of them so it’s impossible for me to say definitively what AshLee is sorry for. But she could’ve easily taken to social media to defend what she said, or blame the editing, or try to reason with America. She didn’t. She apologized for it, so I can’t kill her too much. Still a ridiculously stupid thing to say about Clare having sex in the ocean when it’s nothing that she can prove happened. She should’ve kept her mouth shut. Hopefully she realizes that.

-Cocktail party time. Four couples are secure:

Robert and Sarah
Zack and Clare
Graham and AshLee
Marcus and Lacy

There are 4 guys (Marquel, Kalon, Jesse, and Cody) competing for 2 roses (Jackie and Michelle). We know Kalon isn’t getting a rose because he’s about as well liked as the ebola virus. Jackie is basically choosing between Jesse and Marquel, two guys she’s been on a date with. And Michelle is gonna give her rose to Cody because, well, I think Michelle would rather rip her eyeballs out than keep Kalon on the show. So there really wasn’t much suspense to this rose ceremony.

-But of course, in “Bachelor in Paradise” fashion, they HAD to create some drama at the rose ceremony, so we got this…

Lacy gave her rose to Marcus
Clare gave her rose to Zack
AshLee gets up there to give her rose, but Graham walks off. The show made it seem like AshLee said his name first, then Graham walked off. Not what happened. Graham bolted because he felt sick, and you’ll see that when the show resumes tonight. Lacy will give her rose to Marcus. Michelle will give her rose to Cody and Jackie has the final rose that she gives to Jesse over Marquel.

-Tonight will be a lot of drama as well as Christy Hansen and Lucy Aragon from JP’s season enter the show, they insinuate a threesome happens with those two and Jesse, Clare leaves because she realizes Zack isn’t about her as much as he claims to be, and then chooses Christy over Lucy in the end for the final rose of the night. And with Clare gone, Zack has moved on to Jackie. YOPO, everyone. YOPO. Talk to you tomorrow.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you Thursday.

1. picklesmcgee

August 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Uhh, pretty sure the ocean makes Sarah feel vulnerable because she only has one arm. I thought that would be an obvious assumption.

2. bigfatwoman

August 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I had vowed not to watch this show….but I’ve been glued since episode 1. It is so trashtastic. I love it.

Answer me this about Sarah…..I think she’s a lovely girl, beautiful inside and out and way too normal for this show….but, does anyone know why she doesn’t wear a prosthetic arm? I’m sure she has her reasons and I’m sure she doesn’t need one to function any better, but aesthetically it would just look so much better. There is nothing gross about her missing arm, it’s just that it’s so distracting to the eye (at least for me).

I saw Arie’s tweet last night about “have fun at the farm” and I thought, “wow, I was unsure this guy was a douche, but he certainly just confirmed it.” What a sore loser.

3. ashleigh11

August 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM

AshLee’s apology to Clare might have sounded a little more sincere if she hadn’t wandered away for it muttering under her breath that she’s such a b*tch. I think AshLee has learned how to meticulously fake that she’s a nice and classy person, but she just isn’t. And all of that after Clare gave up her date with Graham to placate sourpuss AshLee on day one. I’m glad Clare called her out on it. That was incredibly shady of her and a pretty low blow.

Re Kalon – I actually thought he was pretty hilarious. He’s not a guy you’d date (sadly, I know this after having dated a Kalon clone for years), but he’s good TV and he nailed every cheesy romantic one-liner cliche perfectly. I also love the charity work he does for shelters and animal rescues with GiveBones in his private life, so he’s not a bad guy – just a bad romantic prospect.

Even though BIP is a total gong-show, I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

4. JovisMom

August 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM

bigfatwoman – I know we have disagreed w\ things in the past but I agree 1000% with you on the Sara deal.
    She seems very sweet and I have also wondered why she doesn’t wear a prosthetic arm… I have a feeling that perhaps she does own one but the show asked her not to wear it for the show for the “drama”… No sure.

5. oyoung1117

August 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM

About Sarah and her lack of a prosthetic. I think when a person is really self-conscious about something, thinking that somehow you can hide it on some level is really inhibiting. You are always afraid of the moment your secret “gets out” and you feel like you are lying about who you are because you are ashamed of it. But the moment you allow yourself to come out of hiding–you are free. Terrified and still probably pretty self-conscious, but free. You don’t have to worry about the moment someone realizes you don’t have an arm, they recognize it the moment they see you. It is who you are and you are okay with it.

August 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The thing is with Sarah is that if you’re going to go with the stump rather than a prosthetic, then you really need a little attitude behind it…. Or add a little humor, or something. If you go with the stump and then are super self conscious, then you come across as someone who you have to tippy toe around and constantly build up or the insecurities will constantly surface. Guys are instantly going to feel awkward, typically…. And especially on this show where guys have the depth of a kiddie pool…. If it really bothers Sarah as much as it seems to, and I don’t blame her at all for feeling insecure, I’m sure most of us would feel that way…. Well, then go with the prosthetic and feel comfortable. I find myself wondering if she does have a prosthetic and the producers bullied her into not wearing it. That would explain a lot for me.

7. cjscjs711

August 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I’m sure Sarah has her reasons for not having or wearing a prosthesis. Outside of wearing a long-sleeved shirt, I’m not sure there’s much she could do about the obviousness of it. I don’t know if she’s ever discussed the details of it but I actually think it would be interesting to hear. Maybe she doesn’t want to seem like a poster child for disabilities, but just like this discussion – we’re clueless about the options or problems.

8. shari253

August 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I think that the reason Sarah does not wear a prosthetic arm is that she was born with her arm the way it is. She has been this way her whole life. It is different than someone who lost their arm in an accident or military service. I agree that her partial arm is a bit disconcerting but I admire her courage to be free of a prosthetic.

9. Scout

August 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM

RE: Sarah and a prosthetic.
    I don’t know why, nor do I actually care, but I follow her on social media and I’ve never seen her with one. So I don’t think its a producer thing. What I do think may be producer manipulation would be getting her to talk about it. ie: “oh sarah, don’t you feel like your one arm gives you limitations? don’t you feel insecure. you’re different because you have one arm” and then get her reaction. She probably doesn’t even think about it in her day to day life because, like shari253 said, she was born without it.

August 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Scout, good point. I’m sure the producers dig into her insecurities pretty hard. I feel for the girl. The Bachelor franchise, especially BIP is completely wrong for her. But, just because she seems sweet and lost an arm, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t enjoy the attention and notoriety just like everyone else. And because she only has one arm, people are more inclined to go easy on her. So she avoids the sledgehammers delivered via social media that most everyone else has to endure.

11. molliebsmith

August 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

thoughts on this week’s episode:
    kalon’s date was the funniest part
    poor marquel
    ANDREW RIPP IS A DREAMBOAT https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/let-love-win/id632774958?i=632775212

12. Cndgirl

August 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Maybe this is our opportunity to explore with ourselves why we feel uncomfortable about Sarah. I’m also a little uneasy, but I’ve been trying to think about that, and understand what that means about me and about what I see – I don’t think the solution should be that Sarah should get a prosthetic so the rest of the world feels more comfortable. I give her full props about being vulnerable and putting it out there – whatever her reasoning is.