The Bachelor 19 - Chris

The “Bachelor” Chris Episode 1 Recap Including Next Week’s Dates

Was the 1 hr. red carpet event necessary last night? Of course it wasn’t. But it served it’s purpose. It gave the fans of the show a reason to see all the people they’ve watched over the years gathered in one area. The “extras” and recruited audience they had show up on the red carpet to act like they were at the Academy Awards flashing pictures and screaming…that’s all done for hype. This show lives off hype. When you’re in your 29th season, you have to get people excited in different ways about your show. Last year, it was those Sunday specials that aired in “Juan-uary” before each new episode on Monday. This year, it was the “live” premiere with the red carpet event featuring your favorite contestants from year’s past. I know WHY they do it, and I know the show has really upped their social media game in the last few years, and this is the perfect type of event to do it.

During that hour, they only talked to “four” people – 3 couples and Nikki. Sean & Catherine seem to have become the gold standard from this franchise and they will shill them out for any event ever. And Sean & Catherine will oblige. You kinda have to if you’re them considering without the show you wouldn’t even be together, so I don’t think much of it when we see them so often. Of course the biggest question I got about Sean & Catherine’s appearance since last night has been, “Is Catherine pregnant? She sure looked it.” Well, I mean Chris Harrison specifically asked them about babies and they said not yet, so I guess the answer is no. I didn’t really pay close attention to Catherine’s outfit, or how much she was covering her belly, or how it was an unflattering dress, etc. Conspiracy theorists work your magic on that one. Don’t know and don’t care. When Sean & Catherine are expecting, trust me, America will know. It’s not like those are gonna hide it.

Marcus and Lacy still remain America’s most uninteresting couple and I could care less about anything they say about anything.

Andi and Josh sure are interesting to watch together, mainly because it seems like Josh just stands in the background and just nods away at whatever Andi has to chime in about. Granted, I understand that the lead is usually the one who takes the “lead” in these interviews, and the person they chose just kinda stays quiet, but it’s an interesting dynamic with these two. Pretty amazing that these two have been engaged since last May, yet when asked about wedding plans, they said they haven’t done any. Engaged for 8 months and you haven’t begun any wedding plans? I’m telling you, that’s not coincidental. Don’t expect these two to last much longer. I don’t think you’re ever gonna see these two walk down the aisle. Hey, don’t shoot the messenger.

As for Nikki, you know I’m probably the last person to defend that girl considering her attitude and the way she’s handled herself since last year’s “Bachelor,” but last night was the best she’s ever presented herself. Especially with Chris Harrison absolutely badgering her for what seemed like eternity to somehow get her to trash Juan Pablo. I mean geez Chris, how many different ways did you essentially ask the same f***ing question which was basically, “So it was pretty much him that didn’t make it work, right?” It was incredibly annoying and uncomfortable to watch. By the third answer, you could even tell Nikki knew exactly where that interview was headed, and every answer she just said different variations of the same thing. If you don’t think Chris Harrison had an agenda, just check out his weekly TVGuide.com interview and be sure to read his first answer to let you know how he and production pretty much felt about Juan Pablo.

And for those that missed this tweet last night, here you go:

Yes, Nikki got a boob job after filming “Couples Therapy.” This is just the first time she’s really let the puppies out. And boy did she ever.

Page 2 of 612345...Last »

1. heliofan

January 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM

As an alumnus of THE Ohio State University, I won’t be watching next week. Will DVR and watch on Tuesday. Go Bucks!

January 6, 2015 at 2:15 PM

I couldn’t make it past the first little bit. I did see Josh being led around by the collar. And I woke up briefly to see Brooks out himself with an “I Love Chris” sign. Good job Brooks. Be loud, be proud. But seriously, this show is a great solution for insomnia. I slept better last night than I have in a month. I’ve seen the drunk ho routine before. I didn’t need to see it again. Nothing else of much interest. I did wake up and catch Whitney for a sec. Her voice was a little odd, but it didn’t bother me that much. It may be one of those things that starts to get to you after a while. I had a girlfriend once that giggled incessantly. At first it was cute. Then is was tolerable. Then it was I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE! Maybe that’s the way it will be with Whitney.

3. jezziebezzie

January 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM

ABC has to be happy with last nights ratings over last year considering the ad spends side by side…
    I don’t recall seeing more than a couple of ads for Farmer Te…er, Chris. Compare that to how much they put into that ridiculous “Juan-uary” Campaign they did, which…to my sadistic delight…blew up in their faces & gave them ZERO payoff in return.

4. kmril

January 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I watched this show with my daughters who are in college last night. We like to read your final four first and then watch. I like Chris more than I thought I would. I just don’t see many of these girls being the “farming” type. Whitney’s voice is so annoying. I can’t believe she wins based on her voice. Kim Kardashion look a like acts just like Kim. They need to change the format or something though. 3 hours was way too long! Maybe have first impression rose chosen by tweets or add a rose chosen by viewers. It’s just so boring and the edits are pretty obvious. That one girl can’t help it if she has big eyes. That was so mean! My youngest daughter only lasted 11/2 hours and couldn’t take it anymore. The promos about something happening during the rose ceremony were bogus as usual. I usually start watching when the number of women dwindles down to 10 or so. Just watched last night because my girls were home. Impressions: Chris isn’t as bad as I thought. The women are pretty but obviously desire fame not farming. Thankful I can read your site – makes watching a little better.

5. lcs85

January 6, 2015 at 4:49 PM

@Kmril Only the studio audience part of last night was live. Filming finished months ago, so it would be impossible to have people at home watching choose who should get the first impression rose or an extra rose. Unless they have a time machine to use for next year, now that would be a gimmick to get people to watch. Not like they need ways to get people to watch though…

The girl with big eyes could kind of help it. She was basically opening up her eyes as wide as possible and staring at Chris. It was creepy. I’m guessing someone once told her that her eyes are her best feature, so she tries to make them as noticeable as possible.

6. ladyjane747

January 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM

I don’t really think the whole Juanuary thing or even choosing JP DID blow up in their faces. His was one of the highest rated Bachelors ever – just look at RS’s numbers in this column. They don’t care that everyone hated him and he didn’t propose – more controversy, more people talking about it, more people watching = more money.

7. bazooka

January 6, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Anyone else notice it was light outside by the time they did the exit shots after the rose ceremony? That’s brutal!

8. deedee99

January 7, 2015 at 1:45 AM

Britt didn’t say she dated someone for 3 years and they did not have sex…she said that her last relationship was 3 years ago, and they did not have sex.
    I’m paraphrasing…

She could’ve been with the guy only weeks or months, who knows?

9. arco5986

January 7, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Just curious, is Whitney’s nose job speculation or fact? The pictures of pre-nose job were posted 30 weeks ago on Instagram it says, and 29 weeks ago for post-nose job. This wouldn’t really make sense since it takes longer than a week to heal (i.e. take off bandage & not have bruises and swelling) from a nose job. I’m guessing it’s just the angles.

10. erolyn

January 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM

I honestly didn’t believe “crazy eyes” were a thing until I saw Ashley S.’s face. She has the CRAZIEST EYES I have ever seen.

11. ccc312

January 7, 2015 at 10:01 AM

@arco5986 The date someone posts a photo on Instragram is not directly correlated to the date that particular photo was taken. She’s clearly had a nose job. I don’t think it’s a big deal, though. It definitely gives her a more refined, elegant appearance. (She likely had a hyponasal quality to her her voice prior to rhinoplasty, but it likely made it worse, considering how much the nasal cavity was narrowed.)

12. sunday

January 7, 2015 at 10:13 AM

I had to laugh at the whole ‘red carpet’ theme last night! Could they get any more over the top? The crowd standing on the red carpet consisted of past bachelor and bachelorette contestants who were supposed to be interested in who Chris Harrison was talking to during interviews…however, instead they ignored him and only looked his way when propmted by Chris after he said “Give it up for Nicki” (or whoever). Then they turned around and clapped quickly, then went right back to talking to each other. That was a cluster-you-know-what! The one horrible thing that stayed stuck in my mind though was after the premier, Chris H. asked Michelle Money what she thought of Britt (the waitress) and all Michelle had to say was that she heard Britt never took a shower (or something to that affect) OMG! That girl’s claws are long! What a rude remark. I think M. Money is messed up in the head, personally.

January 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM

The whole Faux Red Carpet thing is just a ripoff of a typical Corporate America gadget. They invite their clients to events, have a red carpet, and employees act as paparazzi and fans. Nobody at the event, of course, is famous, a paparazzi or a fan. It’s just all contrived to look that way. Everyone is coached ahead of time on how to act. It’s pretty stupid really, but clients seem to enjoy the attention…. just like the ex-Bachelor contestants love the attention. That’s the only reason they’re there, of course. When you get an opportunity to extend your 15 minutes, you take it. I mean Brooks? He’s known for getting to the F2 and bailing out in an epic cry-fest (leading to an epic RS fail), being suspected of being gay in the gayest Bachelor ever, and for liking to nail older women (Mommy issues?). That’s not exactly fame to be proud of. But there he was. Butt-kowski was there too…. gag…. signing autographs. I mean really? How does this guy keep getting invites? Who is he blowing that keeps getting him these gigs?

14. kelly5

January 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Wow, when I read in the recap that Chris H slapped Farmer Chris across the face, I thought Reality Steve made it up! I thought this season is so boring, now RS is throwing random stuff in there to make it more interesting. So I was actually surprised and had to rewind and watch the awkwardness twice when it happened on the show. What the heck was that? I would’ve edited it out.

15. karynr

January 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Don’t have time to write my thoughts yet….just watched it last night.

But I totally agree with you Rob. Why are we still being subjected to Puke-owski. I had just eaten dinner and it made me kind of nauseous to see his sleazy face again.

That red carpet event was so funny.

More later.

16. juicylipz29

January 7, 2015 at 4:06 PM

The red carpet was a waste of time..No one cares about these past contestants they all hungry for fame…And i agreed with you steve nikki did got a boob job.

17. tamara

January 7, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Whom else was on the red carpet? I couldn’t remember some of them. I think I saw Dylan.

18. bachelorfan4ever

January 8, 2015 at 7:27 AM

I wasn’t surprised that Brittany Fetkin didn’t get a rose, maybe Chris was thinking, she might have a boyfriend back home lol, following in the footsteps of bachelorette contestant wrestler Justin “Rated R” Rego. Whenever anyone in the entertainment industry comes on the show it casts a shadow of doubt that they are really there for love.

19. sweething

January 8, 2015 at 12:45 PM

You know I love your blog tremendously! You are rarely wrong! 😉
    However, Brit said the “last time she was in a relationship was 3 years ago and they didn’t have intimacy” That’s a little different than “3 years in a relationship without intimacy” Although it is possible! You know my 3 beautiful daughters and Tenley and their stories 🙂

20. cjscjs711

January 8, 2015 at 2:15 PM

That Chris had the ‘luck’ to be engaged once before really says nothing about current prospects in a small town. Not to mention that your pool of serious partners gets smaller with age, even for men over 30. The guy obviously wants a big family so for that his best bet is a woman under 30. Just the way fertility works. So he’d really have to go driving around searching other cities to try to find a connection.

Andi/Josh remark about not really planning the wedding sounded like trouble and he acted like he could hardly wait till it was over (I was hoping, the Red Carpet, but guess it was more…) and Andi was stroking his back as though for one of the last times.

I’d been so over-prepared for Whitney’s voice that when I finally heard it, it didn’t sound as bad as I’d imagined. She’s one who should really look into voice therapy. It would help her and the people around her more than I think she realizes.

The eyes – as a photographer I see that type of wide-eye in amateurs often. If cameramen really cared, they’d have told her to relax her eyes – that’s what we usually do. Instead they moved in with a wide angle to exaggerate them for television.

21. pattycakes

January 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Nikki had the boob job before going on the bachelor. Can’t believe you didn’t notice. Just FYI. 🙂