The Bachelor 19 - Chris

The “Bachelor” Chris Episode 5 Recap Including the “Women Tell All” Taping & When Does the “Bachelorette” Begin Filming

-The cocktail party had all the girls nervous. It was a weird week and Chris made it known to everyone when he spoke to them right off the bat. “So difficult because of how important this is to me…today was tough…Kelsey and I had an emotional conversation…thought about some things…that…sorry…I need a second.” And with that, he stepped outside to get some air, or talk to Host Chris, or do whatever it is he needed to do. I’m still unsure exactly what was bothering Chris and what he was upset about. Was it that Kelsey’s story made him realize that time is of the essence in life and it magnified his decisions? That he was getting closer to realizing he might be engaged soon? That maybe his feelings for the love guru Tziporah and her awful bangs are stronger than any connections he has with the girls? So many questions, so little answers I tell ya’.

-Once the girls hear that Kelsey spoke with Chris earlier that day, they realized what she was up to. She figured she was going home and used her story as a way to try and gain his sympathy and stay an extra week. Well that part might’ve worked, but even Chris Harrison pointed it out, if you watched the kiss between Kelsey and Chris there was nothing intimate about it. I think Chris would’ve rather have had Carly rubbing chocolate on his lips again than tongue down Kelsey after her story. I think even he’s questioning it. Not the actual sincerity of the story because yes, she was married, and yes, Sanderson did die. But just her motives behind it and going behind the girls back to get time with him, and basically use it as a last ditch effort to try and win him over. There’s a reason you’re five episodes in and the guy hasn’t found a way to kiss you – he doesn’t want to. He sure seems to find Britt every episode to make out with, so yeah, Kelsey probably knew she was on borrowed time so that was a last ditch effort. And it saved her. For one week.

-It started to become more and more obvious as we were getting closer to the end of the show last night that the rose ceremony would be what starts off next week’s episode. I mean, there was 5 minutes left in the show and everyone was still sitting around talking about Kelsey before Chris Harrison came in and informed them that Chris had cancelled the cocktail party since he knew what he wanted to do. Then it was like 3 minutes til the end of the show, and we hadn’t even seen Kelsey on the floor in a panic attack yet and it was clear that’s how the show would end. Hence the reason I tweeted that. So yes, there was a rose ceremony in New Mexico, it just wasn’t shown last night. I don’t see the episodes beforehand (except the first one) so I have no idea how they are laid out. And as far as I can remember, this is the first time in 29 seasons a show hasn’t ended with a rose ceremony. Kinda hard to predict that was coming until like I said about 5 minutes before the end and they weren’t anywhere near starting a rose ceremony.

-So next week the show will start with Kelsey on the floor in a panic attack, although I’m still not sure why. Because Chris cancelled a cocktail party? That’s happened quite a bit in this show’s history and we’ve never seen a reaction like that. Or maybe Kelsey was just looking for attention, which I’m sure will be the thought of some of the girls. Whatever the case, that’s how next week’s episode will begin – the aftermath of Kelsey’s panic attack, followed by the rose ceremony where Mackenzie and Samantha will go home. That leaves 9 girls who will head to Deadwood, South Dakota. Becca gets a 1-on-1, 6 girls (Whitney, Jade, Britt, Carly, Megan, and Kaitlyn) get the Big & Rich love song making group date with Britt getting the rose, and Ashley & Kelsey do get the 2-on-1 which was confirmed in the preview last night. Both are sent home.

-Everything I’ve been led to believe is that Megan leaves before the rose ceremony takes place and eliminates herself. The season opening preview hinted at it, as did last night’s preview. So if in fact it does happen, then there won’t be another rose ceremony next week either since Megan, Ashley, and Kelsey are the 3 girls eliminated in South Dakota, and if they’re gone before the rose ceremony, well, then no rose ceremony to have. I’m glad my logic skills, along with info I was given and ABC footage was able to help me deduce what happened in South Dakota, because for a while, I had no idea. Something wasn’t adding up, and now it does.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. caffeinequeen

February 3, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Hmmm. A few (unrelated) comments–
    Jade – I don’t know if that’s a legitimate “condition,” but I experience that too in moderately cold conditions. She might have poor circulation or Reynaud’s syndrome. It makes your feet and hands ache when it occurs, and it’s pretty uncomfortable. I assume that in Nebraska she’d be wearing gloves and boots. She didn’t have any protection from the cold in the raft.

That Carly/Chris date. Jesus. That defines awkward. I actually like her and her sense of humor. I wouldn’t mind seeing her as the bachelorette. I feel like Britt is looking for career advancement more than a husband. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn’t make her a great potential bachelorette when it seems so obvious.

Kelsey. She seemed pretty detached, not sarcastic, as the person who emailed suggested. It didn’t seem like great timing to be snogging with Chris after sharing that sobering story…nd then to talk about herself and her amazing story that “she loves,” she comes across as extremely self-involved. That whole ITM was cringe-worthy. The panic attack might be legit, but I just feel like this woman needs to get some counseling.

2. enndea

February 3, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I think the email about producer manipulation is a good one, but I don’t entirely buy it, and here’s why–Kelsey was on Twitter last night basically saying the exact same thing. (“Sander’s death was absolutely devastating, but my finding a way to live through it and my strength to survive is amazing.”) Perhaps she was implying the “amazing” thing about her story is her own strength–but it still is a very odd thing to say about your husbands passing. Especially when followed by “I love my story.” I think there are things you can love about what you learn from an experience like that…..but wow. It seemed cold and a little crazy to me.

3. nora j

February 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Maybe the next Bachelorette won’t be from this season? After last night I hope it’s not Britt. Sorry but who wears all that make up to bed? Doesn’t the bright pink lipstick just end up all over her pillow. It’s so weird. She just seems way too immature to be The Bachelorette. And she’s a waitress? Her credentials don’t seem that great.

4. fcew

February 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Just an FYI, as a person from New Mexico, I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked the most ignorant questions about New Mexico. “But you’re so white?” (Yup, blonde and blue eyed too!) “Your English is really good!” (Mmmmhmmmm. First language.) “I can’t take a Mexican ID.” (REALLY?! That one was at a mortgage company! In CALIFORNIA.) “Did you have to get a passport to come here?” (I was in Illinois!) “What’s the weather like? You have palm trees right?” (No, New Mexico doesn’t have palm trees, at least as far as I’ve seen. Maybe way down south. And New Mexico experiences all 4 seasons. There are mountains and even SNOW.) Sadly, this behavior from Megan is actually quite typical, and while I laughed as I watched her, I cringed inside. Because stuff like that has happened to me more times than I can count. Whenever people from New Mexico leave the state, it’s expected that people will ask questions or make statements like the ones I described above. Depressingly, in my experience, its people from Texas, Colorado and Arizona that know New Mexico is a state, and it’s people from the Mid West that are really the worst offenders.

So my go to line has become “It’s a STATE. In the UNITED STATES.” I don’t care if I sound rude. If I have to whip that line out, it’s because you sound uneducated! Go back to third grade!

February 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM

You can say that Britt is getting a bad edit and won’t be the Bachelorette. But, remember Ali? She was edited as the wicked b*tch of the west & bloggers, including RS, were commenting on what an ice queen she was. But, they gave her time on WTA to rehabilitate her image then, voila! She’s the Bachelorette…. and a pretty popular Bachelorette, at that. Andi wasn’t that far off from that & a lawyer to boot (insert lawyer joke here). If you buy what RS is selling…. that the Bachelorette will be someone from the final four & it can’t be Becca (F2 timing & believability issues) or Whitney (F1, taken) & it absolutely won’t be Jade (self promoting nude model/aka not believable as the Bachelorette)…. well, do the math. The WTA will have her rescuing puppies, feeding starving kids and showing off her gourmet cooking skills while showing off the bod that God…. and (mostly) her personal trainer…. gave her. She’ll be fine.

6. yankees4life

February 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM

If Jade has Raynaud’s she was definitely not faking! I have it and my fingers get numb sometimes when it’s 70 degrees out, so falling in ice cold water would definitely do it!

7. auntiecairo

February 3, 2015 at 3:30 PM

The interesting (or disturbing) part about Kelsey’s “amazing” story – is that she makes it about herself. How she’s dealt with it. Everyone deals with grief in a different way — but this woman seems in need of serious counseling — her demeanor was kinda creepy — if it was 48 Hours she’d be a suspect in her husband’s death. At the very least – going on a reality show 18 months after the death of the alleged love of your life – is suspect. Was equally interesting seeing the non-reaction from the other women when Kelsey had her attack. Starting to think this Bachelor would have been better off on Farmersonly.com. …

8. kims123

February 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM

As fcew mentioned earlier, it is not sadly common for people not to know New Mexico is a state. However, I am surprised that RS doesn’t realize that Santa Fe is a world class destination. It is constantly rated one of the top destination cities and the most romantic cities to visit. He has clearly never been there.

9. arod

February 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM

I am very surprised by people hating on Britt. The whole time all I could think was: “there is no way her hair looks that good and people are always hugging her if she doesn’t shower”

Kelsey… I don’t know. I really want to think editing made her look that way but it just seems her behavior is odd.

If people want/need more bachcaps check: http://wp.me/p5AbHT-3P

10. hattiebloom

February 3, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Regardless of editing, I decided last night that I don’t want Britt as Bachelorette. I don’t care if she showers once a year, she’s a total phony baloney. I don’t think I could stomach her “who……me???” personality for an entire season.

Kelsey is a sociopath.

The End.

11. gemsnob

February 3, 2015 at 7:29 PM

This is in response to Nora from comments above. Don’t you remember Ali Fedowsky? She quit her job and moved out of her apartment to be the bachelorette. I think Britt being a “waitress” trumps “jobless” and homeless”!

12. elizabeth82

February 3, 2015 at 7:39 PM

hattiebloom, I agree.

Kinda surprised Steve thinks Britt’s “bad edit” only has to do with the stupid showering joke. I guess he really wants her to be The Bachelorette! The real problem with her is that she comes across like she might be acting and just not the most genuine.

13. myrtlebeachbabe

February 3, 2015 at 8:49 PM

There are so many issues with these girls, what a train wreck. Kelsey is a sociopath, her next husband should be worried. Jade is lost, disgustingly fake and has no morals. Ashley I is superficial, immature, and insecure, and lose those lashes, it’s not a good look on you. MacKenzie(?)-21 yr old with son who believes in Aliens, way too immature for Chris, sweet, just too young. You could go on and on with the whole bunch, what a joke. So many cringe worthy moments Chris has to watch unfold. WTA will be a riot to watch. It will be interesting to see who will be the next Bach and who will be in BIP2, more train wrecks coming down the tracks. Such a guilty pleasure watching this scripted show but the manipulation of the girls for ratings is shameful, but as RS states, they signed up for it… It’s a true narcissistic group https://www.csub.edu/~cgavin/GST153/CelebrityStudy.pdf

14. bianca

February 3, 2015 at 9:50 PM

There’s something off about Brit and I can’t quite figure it out, but it’s clear Steve is all about her cuz he keeps trying to find ways to justify her questionable edit (lol). I was also enamored with her when the season started, but again, as it progresses, I feel there is something not quite right about her. It remains to be seen I suppose…

As for Kelsey’s ex – I agree with the poster above! Her reaction almost seems fodder for an episode of 48 hours, and I almost wonder if the cause of her husband’s death really might be worth investigating further!

15. ladyjane747

February 3, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Britt is so fake and she ridiculously overreacts to everything. How big can she make her mouth when she’s trying to act surprised or excited? And I’ll bet she has hair extensions. LOL I don’t care if she’s the Bachelorette or not; I don’t have to like the lead (I usually don’t) to be entertained by the show; in fact, it’s almost better if I dislike the lead – more to make fun of!

16. hattiebloom

February 4, 2015 at 4:12 AM

@arod,

I clicked the link to your blog.

A). It’s written in the exact same format and feel as Sharleen Joynt’s blog.

B). Pretty tacky to come on another blogger’s site to promote your own.

17. melbel1811

February 4, 2015 at 10:44 AM

My sister used to work with Kelsey….
    my sis said she’s fake/not genuine. What you saw of her on this episode is her true self!!! NOT AN EDIT. She really is this way in real life!!!!

18. kbray06

February 4, 2015 at 11:00 AM

They ended the episode before the rose ceremony on Bachelor in Paradise just this past summer. Maybe it got them a ratings spike so they figured they would try it again.

19. ksrsfan

February 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe the weirdos they casted this season! I think they are all fakes, seriously, can Megan be THAT stupid??? Ashley (or as someone else called her, “Kardashley”) telling Carly that Chris wants a “real” woman while wearing way too much makeup and huge fake eyelashes! Are we sure she is not related to Erica Rose, for all her entitlement attitude??? ie: the Cinderella date was supposed to be mine!!

And did anyone else notice that when Carly was talking with Chris after their date, she said “like” at LEAST 30 times? True, I re-watched it and counted!

I wonder if Britt uses some sort of lotion or water-less bath product if she doesn’t shower and still smells good? You really cannot cover up weeks of BO with perfume.

And the icing on the cake, well since the other Ashley got booted anyway, is Kelsey! I do not believe the producers had to encourage or fake her edit at all, she was LOVING having a “tragic but amazing” story to tell Chris to try to stay around! Then, when he cancelled the cocktail party, she surely realized that the reason he was upset was because he was planning on sending her home after just hearing her story, and he knew that would hurt her. So she had to try another ploy to get to stay…….Oh my! I am having a panic attack!!! BS!! I have seen panic attacks and the person is not laughing soon afterward! And I would be embarrassed and not want Chris to see me, not ask for him! I agree, they need to look into her husband’s death, if he was truly that amazing, and she was so devastated by his death, how could she even think of being on this show!

20. super1

February 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM

In the last episode, Kelsey mentioned something about, not understanding the timing of it all regarding her spouse’s passing. Well, according to his obituary which RS posted a link to: Kelsey graduated college with her Master’s degree on May 18, 2013. Her spouse passed away within less than a week after that. (obit posted May 23 and services May 24). That had to be the hardest thing on earth for her to deal with. I am giving Kelsey a break. She probably isn’t done mourning her spouse. In hindsight, this show wasn’t a good idea for her.

21. rosenfie

February 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Hi Steve,
    First time writing in!
    I have a couple comments on some of your thoughts about this week’s episode.

Regarding Jade’s “circulation condition”, it sounds like she has Renaud’s Disease where your fingers, toes, etc go white and numb with the slightest chill. I have this “condition” (which isn’t at all serious), but it can be a total pain in the ass. I’ve walked around in flip flops in 80 degree weather and as soon as I go inside somewhere, my toes are white and numb. Truly uncomfortable and annoying. Or she could be full of $hit.

Also, I don’t think Kelsey’s panic attack is real. When I saw her building up to it (it was very obvious what she was attempting to do), I turned to my husband and said “Uh oh – fake panic attack!”. And voila, there it was. I’ve had personal experience and can spot a good or bad act. There are many people out there who have a lot of anxiety, but there’s a difference between heightened anxiety and a full-blown panic attack.

Thanks!

22. robsbitch

February 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Finally they moved the show out of the country for an episode this season!

Just kidding :p

Really though, I never realized how much I watched this show for the travel until it was gone. Charlie O’Connell had the personality to carry a show in one location (wasn’t he in Tijuana the whole season – in actual Mexico?) Farmer Chris does not have the charisma to pull this off without the locale changes . I hope this isn’t a trend…

And for the love of grammar Steve, it’s “all of a sudden”. Please let someone proof your blog – it’s painful.