I always watch the beginning of the season thinking, how in the world can the bachelor remember all of the names that he wants to pick for roses? There’s like 20 girls he just met that he goes through and gives roses. Really?
Also, does the show force the order, or is there some sort of method to it?
Comment: The order you see the women receiving roses at the ceremony is not necessarily the order they were handed out. This has been proven numerous times over the years with editing errors.
Hi Steve, Love your blog and live tweeting. You have an interesting view on life and are definitely a funny guy!
So, I’ve seen a lot of emails to you about how someone could NEVER move to Iowa and be a farmer’s wife. I grew up on a farm in Iowa and have a little perspective for your readers.
I thought it might be best to address farm life first:
– First, Chris is farming 6,000 acres with only his dad (Chris shared this with Jade on the Arlington date.) That is a ton of land so the guy is doing pretty well financially. And don’t most women want to marry a man who can support them this well. I think I saw he’s worth $1.5M and I don’t doubt it.
– Second, someone mentioned couldn’t Chris commute from one of the bigger cities like Des Moines. Really? He’s going to drive 2 hours each way to put in 12 to 18 hour days during spring planting and harvest. Sure he’s NOT! He also has livestock (aka animals) and you can’t leave them unattended. Farming is not a normal job people it’s a lifestyle.
– And finally, Chris obviously loves to farm. You can tell when he was talking about the land and the fact he jumped in a combine as soon as he got back from shooting in the fall. My dad loved farming and it’s not a bad lifestyle just really slow paced unless you’re actually doing work in the fields. Farmers basically have free time in August and the winter so it isn’t all work. A farmer is his own boss and sets his own hours. You can work as hard as you like and all that hard work pays off directly into your bank account. Can most people say that about their jobs? No. (Except you of course Steve!)
Do I think Whitney is in for a shock? Sure. The first time she drives 30-60 miles to a grocery store and has to put a cooler in the back so her frozen food won’t melt will be a shock. Who knows she may like the small town where everyone knows each other (and all your business) since she makes friends so easily in airports.
Here’s a list of things she needs to demand immediately after agreeing to marry Chris:
1 – A big ass SUV with 4 wheel drive
2 – Trips to Des Moines for any country concert she wants to see (as long as not during planting or harvest) and an overnight stay for a massive shopping trip the next day.
3 – One good, long tropical vacation each winter (pick January!)
4 – She needs an attached garage to Chris’ house. It’s a nice house but I don’t think the garage is attached. He needs to build you an attached garage Whitney!!
5 – And last but not least, the most expensive coffee/latte/cappuccino machine just below a Starbucks professional model. You can’t justify driving 60 miles for a latte so best to learn to make them for yourself!
I wish them good luck and once they start having kids does it really matter where you live since babies take up all your time & energy anyway?
And Steve, I’m wondering if you should turn that birthday party of yours into a Millionaire Matchmaker event and invite Patty Stanger. She could turn it into one super large “mixer” for you!
Thank goodness you spoil this show otherwise I think all the ABC hype would drive me crazy and probably force me to stop watching!
Comment: Great perspective on what Whitney is getting herself into. Part of the reason why I don’t think it’ll last.
Patti Stanger will not be attending my birthday party. It’s not a matchmaking birthday party. Just a chance to share with a couple of my friends and any readers that can make it.
I love reading your columns each week! Keep up the good work!
First of all, thanks for the Friday Night Lights recommendation. I binge-watched it and wish there were more seasons. Great show! Add another one to the list.
Here’s my question: I read Courtney’s book and loved it. Are there any others from the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise that have written books about their experiences on the show? Besides Sean, that is. Have you read any other reality star books that you liked?
Thanks for an awesome weekly read! You rock!
Comment: No. Trista, Melissa Rycroft Strickland, Shawntel, and Sean have all written books, but nothing like what Courtney did. The only one I’ve read is Courtney’s because it was funny, an easy read, and basically read like a tabloid magazine.
Hi. Lots of questions here.
1) Do the leads do any of the writing for their People blogs, or is it done entirely by the ghost writers? The blogs for Chris S seem especially good this season. It’s certainly not all written by them. But in terms of how much, that’d vary with each person.
2) Do the women who have their own agents get told by their own agents how to act or portray themselves? (along with the show’s producers of course).Unless they’re already actresses/models, I don’t know why any of them would already have an agent heading into the show.
3) How do views of episodes “on demand” or through ABC online after each episode has aired on Monday factor in to the overall ratings? For example, I usually watch on demand a day or two later (instead of Monday). My friend watches only through ABC on line. Do those count as ratings? They don’t count in the overnight ratings obviously since you’re not watching it the night it airs, but online watching is it’s own animal, so it’s tracked differently.
4) Do you really think Andi’s tears were just for her image? I don’t like her, but just wondering cause personally I can’t cry on command. Yes.
5) I have the impression the Andi/Josh breakup was more Josh’s doing. Any info on that? No.
6) Do you know if Emily Maynard’s husband has money? Can’t imagine she would marry a poor guy, but his job doesn’t sound too great. I’m pretty sure he does. And no, she wouldn’t marry poor.
PS Britt for next Bachelorette!
Love your blog, love Friday night lights and LOVE how you added Vanderpump rules to your website… Because let’s be honest it’s almost as entertaining and ridiculous as the bachelor. I don’t want to throw stones because I do watch this show for entertainment but I have to say I 100% agree with your opinions the majority of the time.
I finally had to write because.. Is anyone actually surprised Andi and Josh broke up??? I didn’t read your spoilers until they left LA but 12 hours before I did the conversation between my roommate and I was pretty much “if I were Andi I would pull Josh aside and tell him I’m picking you and lets ride this out”.
My opinion the couples that do work out are always the ones who never seem right… Andi and Josh look like they were written for TV and lets not forget that Josh’s proposal was pretty much “Andi I love you 100 percent” haha.
Anyway, thanks for adding to the entertainment and I wanted to ask you who do you predict will be in bachelor in paradise? Vanderpump won’t be on in the summer and its a close second!
Thanks again Steve!
Comment: I think Ashley and JP fans might disagree with you on that one. I don’t know the reasons for Andi and Josh not working out other than what she said. I’m sure there’s more to it that she didn’t want to dive into.
Jade is currently charging $17.99 for her lip gloss and only offers 3 different shades. I wear Clinique lip gloss on a daily basis. They offer at least 30 different shades and only costs $15. I have no idea how she thinks she will grow her business by charging more and offering less. I guess she is hoping that this new ‘exposure’ will lead to more sales.
Totally wish we could come to your party in Vegas. Mandalay Bay used to be our favorite place. My hubby and I were actually married there. They definitely know how to throw a great party.
Comment: I have no idea what Jade thinks she’s doing with this cosmetic line. Her future certainly isn’t in that. It’s in modeling. Not necessarily nude modeling because she’d be hypocritical to jump back into that. But if you go to her personal website and look at her clothed modeling pictures, she really is one of the more attractive women they’ve ever had on this show.
Well, Mandalay isn’t throwing the party. I am. In my room. They’re not really supplying me with anything, but I’ve always liked the hotel. It’ll be fun.
Great site – love being spoiled every season and no other site tops your hilarious recaps. Bravo! This is the only show my husband and I watch and laugh over together. Thanks for keeping this show fresh and interesting with all your insider info! ABC should thank you!
Anyways, I’ve watched every season since Tricia’s and I just had some comments/questions. I think you mean “Trista.”
1. Brit is yuck! (I’m sorry! I know you like her!) I find her completely phony and egotistical. Really rubs me the wrong way. She’s that calculating ‘mean girl’ in high school who morphs in each situation to garner the most praise and/or attention. Me, me, me! My husband agrees and says she’s the kinda girl you maybe hook up with but who is super annoying to be around after a few days. Sooo, my question is; do you think a bachelorette season would still be good/fun if the lead is so unlikable? Obviously, some people DO like her, but generally speaking. Does it hurt ratings at all if the lead is strongly disliked? Were Juan Pablo’s ratings still good? That’s all subjective though. Every lead they’ve cast has had people that dislike them, so how does any past lead qualify as “unlikeable?” How many people have to dislike them for them to attain that?
2. Chris is sooooo clueless! Honestly, there was one line this season where Kaitlyn said something along the lines of “he’s not stupid you guys. he’s really not”. It made me feel like the girls have been whispering about him all season saying he isn’t that bright. I just think he is clueless with woman! Or just honest to a fault. I don’t know. Do you think they are editing him this way, or is he really like that? (Like when he outed Kelsey’s secret visit in a rose ceremony, or told Kelsey what Ashley said, or can’t seem to just ask Britt straight up what she thinks about Arlington…. frustrating!) I have no idea about the guy’s intellect.
3. I wonder if they will show it, but is Ms. Career Woman Whitney planning on quitting her job to be a stay at home wife/mom? If he loves/loved her, how could he want that for her? He said so himself – she lights up and is so passionate about her work! Thoughts? She said she’d quit her job in a heartbeat to start having babies, so I guess so.
4. I have thought all along that Kaitlyn had the funniest ITM moments and one-liners – and she smartly stays quiet when the girls have their big group brawls. She just seems really real. (not to mention beautiful) I’d love to see more of her either on bachelorette or BIP or whatever. My question; as the season goes on and people emerge as fan favorites or people we love to hate – do they CHANGE the editing to capitalize on that? Or is it all edited and in the can before it starts airing? (obviously, you may not know the answer to this, but if anyone knows it’d be you!) Is EVERY episode already completely done edited before the first episode airs? No.
5. Is it seriously impossible for Chris to move from Arlington? Seriously? Can he not have an employee do his job for him? Or sell the farm? Or does he really adore living there? Cuz honestly, it doesn’t seem like he does. He keeps saying his family is everything but not that he loves living in an isolated town in Iowa. His best bet would probably be to marry someone who lives in his own town! Is it really a non-negotiable for him? We can only go off what he says and it doesn’t look like he’s moving off the farm anytime soon. Well except for a few months to be on Andi’s season. And then again to film this season. And then for at least a few weeks to film DWTS. But other than that, he loves it there.
Okay, thanks for reading my e-mail and answering what you could. Turns out I had way more to say than I thought!
Britt looks just like a Bratz doll.
Comment: Yeah, she kinda does.
There have been a couple pics of Britt from reader e-mails and then your Dr. Reality Steve column this week that makes her look so similar to Topanga from Boy Meets World. I never noticed it until today when now it’s so clear to me.
Comment: So which is it? Is she a Bratz doll or Topanga?
Longtime reader, first time asking a question. I apologize if this has been asked before.
Just wondering if you knew if there was awkwardness moving forward after people breakup on the show? For example Des, Chris, Catherine and Sean were all at the Bachelor in Paradise finale (I think I remember that right?). Do you think they all make small talk? Or just don’t care because the show happens so quickly and the feelings thought they were all feeling were in fact, ridiculous. I might have read somewhere that Brooks was at Des’s wedding? I think these people once they get out of the bubble that is the show, they can get over things pretty easily because they realize how silly it was.
I know they make a big deal out of this whole “Bachelor Family” thing, I’m just wondering if you think or know if hurt feelings last into future relationships and there are jealousy issues..
Thanks! Love your site. I pretty much only watch the show so that your recap makes more sense. 🙂
Comment: I mean, you’d have to ask each one individually if that’s happened. I wouldn’t know.
Hey Steve –
Can you tell us which bachelor/bachelorette coined the phrase “for the right reasons”? They’ve all been using it pretty heavily the past few years – I remember it specifically from Des’s season. But since it’s now the title of Sean’s book, made me wonder where it came from.
Comment: It’s a good question. I can’t pinpoint an exact moment when that phrase was coined, or what season, or who said it. I think it just kinda evolved at some point from people who went on there more trying to “win” than actually want to find a spouse. But I can’t for the life of me remember what season the phrase was first said on the show.
Love your blog. There’s one detail I want to share.
Throughout you’ve said that the contestants are not allowed to have electronics. But, when Jade tells Chris about her posing nude, suddenly a Producer or Intern hands her a laptop that is set up ready to go at her page of photos and videos. So, the producers staged the whole “reveal”. What’s unfair is that Chris H. throws Jade under the bus both in his blog and again on Jenny McCarthy’s XM radio show criticizing her for showing the photos, calling it awkward and inappropriate. But Jade had been set up by the Producers, and Chris H. is one of the Producers. It gets back to this show’s awkwardness about sex. The show exploits Jade for ratings and then criticizes her for it.
Then there’s this season’s over-the-top obsession with virginity. The Producers, and Chris H. is one of them, have decided that whore/madonna sex sells. Sad.
Comment: That’s why it’s a television show and not real life.
Longtime reader…I’m in Dallas and was on the original distro/forward list from your recap emails back in the day — though I’ll be honest I’ve stayed off the site this go round for a more spontaneous experience watching the “reality” that is the Bachelor/Bachelorette experience. 🙂 As my 8 year old says, “mommy — this CANT be real. These people are silly and clearly try to hard.”
Random thought — I was having a conversation with co-workers and we were trying to remember who ended up with who from each season, and how long they were together (2 minutes, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, married…etc). I ended up Googling…and you can find it piece by piece, or sometimes in partial lists, but not with the length of time. I think your site needs an infographic dashboard that shows ALL the Bachelor/Bachelorette couples and how long they lasted, plus your original prediction. I know other entertainment sites in the past have done it where they went through each couple. Even People magazine did a special issue just dedicated to this franchise. If you look hard enough, you can find it.
Just a thought! I’m sure you’ve got a graphic designer somewhere amongst your dedicated readers who would design it for you… Or! Get Catherine to do it! She’s a designer, in Dallas, who appears to have a sense of humor. 😉
Enjoy the last few weeks of the season. I’m guessing Whitney wins — but I think he messed up in sending Carly home.
Comment: I think you may be the only one who thinks Chris should’ve picked Carly in the end.
Hi Reality Steve,
Long time reader, first time writing in. Your spoilers make the season so much more interesting.
I was watching the Millionaire Matchmaker last night and guess who was the “celebrity client” in need of the matchmaker’s services? Jesse Kovacs from BIP.
Here’s an article on it.
I think he’s in damage control mode after he branded himself a cad on BIP. Not for a second do I think he’s sincere about finding love. But it was a fun watch, especially having seen him on BIP.
Now I’m wondering if this is going to be a new trend for Bachelor nation? Run through all the “Bachelor” shows, and then repair your image on the Millionaire Matchmaker? Who is next, Juan Pablo?
Keep up the great work!
Comment: Maybe not “Millionaire Matchmaker” but of course a lot of these contestants try to build off their fame from this show and turn it into something else. Hell, it’s why most of them go on in the first place.