Hi Reality Steve,
I will start by saying I had avoided your site for years because I thought it was more entertaining to watch the “love story” unfold. Over the past year though I’ve turned to the dark side and this has been the most enjoyable season to watch knowing all the details ahead of time. I had always known that the show was heavily edited but watching this season with a more jaded viewpoint has actually been fun. So keep on spoiling!
My random musing on Jade- We’ve known since you spoiled back in the fall about her past and her social media accounts in addition to playboy. How much do you think her demure, quiet personality on the show was producer influenced? She was clearly a fun loving, party type girl, but on the show she portrayed herself as such an innocent small town girl. Do you think she was influenced by the producers for the shock factor it would create when they revealed her past?
Thanks again for all the entertainment!
Comment: Her personality on the show certainly didn’t match up with her past, or even her current life on social media. But having never spoken to the girl, I have no idea.
First of all, I love your blog!
So the Bachelor girls and their wardrobes … These girls are wearing a lot of really nice, expensive looking clothes. Do they get a budget in advance to buy a new wardrobe? If not, it must cost them a fortune and I would imagine that they must feel pretty disgruntled about that if they are out of the show on the first night, maybe? Also we often see the scene where they remove the suitcase of a girl that has gone home, but surely that can’t be all they have with them? Does someone go in and pack the rest of their belongings?
Comment: No. Everything they bring is their own, a lot borrow from friends, some are donated from stores that want their stuff shown on TV.
No, they all have more than one suitcase.
First of all, I have to say that it is IMMENSELY COOL and generous of you to invite your readers to your birthday party in Vegas. I won’t be able to make it, but thank you so much for the invite.
Watching the hometowns last week, a few things struck me about Whitney. At this point, it seems that she has taken charge of her relationship with Chris, “closing the deal” with her Napa wine, and at this point it’s hard to see how he could pick anyone else (which we know he won’t thanks to you). She also seems much smarter than him, especially since we have yet to hear him speak in complete sentences. She also seems to be the most confident and driven woman out of the remaining contenders.
The other thing I noticed is that she is obviously very passionate about her career and also quite competent at it. Whatever her feelings for Chris might be at this point, I just don’t see her as a farmer’s wife minding the kitchen and the kids…I don’t think this relationship will last very long.
I hope Kelsey will not be at the WTA, I have seen more than enough of her and don’t want any more!
Keep up the good work!
Comment: Well, I don’t see her as a farmer’s wife either. Time will tell.
Kelsey was definitely at the WTA and was in the hot seat.
Hey again!! Couple of questions.
1) Do you think Chris knew prior to Jade telling him. That she posed her girly “bits” for Playboy? I’m sure the producers must have told him– He has quite the smirk on his face. I have no way of knowing that.
2) If Britt didn’t decide to leave or whatever you call it. Who do you think would have went home? I’m pretty sure Britt would have stayed. Probably Jade since she went home 4th.
3) Do you think Whitney would have won if Jade didn’t pose, or Britt go home? Impossible to know the answer to that. Only Chris does.
Thanks so much!!!!
So I watch the show with some friends who don’t read you and are still like half and half on “the show is real” and all of that. I asked them who they would like to see as the Bachelorette and they said Becca. I don’t want to spoil them so I didn’t get into your explanations as to why she most likely won’t get it (being the Final 2 girl). But it got me thinking, you usually say the Final 2 girl has not been made the Bachelorette since Trista, but what about Deanna? I feel like she can be counted as a Final 2 girl, being dumped instead of being proposed to. I know that was a bit of a different situation, but presumably she would be just as “heartbroken” as she would have been expected to be had Brad chosen the other woman. Didn’t she have to confront him at the ATFR and then turn around and be announced as the Bachelorette? Or maybe their schedule was different at that time?
Comment: They were on a different shooting schedule with DeAnna’s season.
My husband and I are so excited to celebrate your birthday in Las Vegas with you and our fellow fans! can’t wait. You won’t be the only married couple there. Quite a few have RSVP’d already. Looking forward to it.
I have some questions and comments about this season so far
* It may be editing or maybe she is a great actress but it looks like Jade is such a sweet and quiet girl, even the way she speaks and her overall demure appears to be very shy and sweet. However, as you wrote on your website, she was a wild child, and she did all the things she did – how do you explain this change? do you think she is a great actress or she is receiving a positive editing or maybe she has changed for real? No idea.
* BTW my husband was watching the hometowns episode and when Chris let Jade go, my husband said “whaaat? Chris had a chance of going to the Fantasy Suite with a Playboy model and he didn’t? what an idiot!” I thought it was really funny. Yes, that was stupid.
* Regarding Kelsey, yes I agree she was horrible but I still don’t understand why people seem to hate her more than other contestants who have been as nasty as her, ehem, Carly was pretty nasty and catty, Vienna from Jake’s season was also quite nasty to everyone, even Ali Fetodowski and Nikki Ferrell were giant bitches and I don’t think they got all this extreme backlash that Kelsey has received. The only three other contestants that I recall got such negative backlash were Michelle Money, Bentley and Courtney. Do you have any theories on why some contestants get such social media hate and other are spared? A lot has to do with how the show portrayed them. They made Kelsey a villain and made you not like her. Sure, she said the things that she did which helped, but when they focus an entire two episodes on her antics, of course it’s going to sway public opinion.
* Regarding Andy Dorfman, why did you say that she cares so much about her image? BTW I agree, she is the only bachelorette who has had multiple “sit downs” with Chris Harrison to talk about things, sort of fixing her image, like when Eric Hill died –about that one, I thought that whole segment was a complete PR move because they didn’t focus on Eric’s life and achievements, it was all about trying to fix Andi’s image so that the public wouldn’t hate her, and they did it again with the Josh breakup. But why is she trying so hard to be liked? also why does ABC does it, particularly if she is not going to be the next bachelorette? is she friends with Chris H. or Mike F? it appears to me that this show producers don’t do anything unless there is a specific gain for them, so I’m puzzled as to why have they been constantly helping her fix her image. They didn’t bring back Emily after she broke up with Jef, they only brought her back after her first breakup with Brad W, and they only did it because they wanted her to be the next bachelorette.I think almost EVERY contestant on this show wants to be liked by the public. Read their Twitter accounts and you’ll see. Some just handle it better than others.
* Regarding Chris, I think he is less of a douche than Juan Pablo, but I think he is a bit of a jerk (or maybe he is just socially awkward?) — like in the Big & Rich episode, he just left the women waiting, took Britt and then brought her back and didn’t bother explaining or doing anything, just escaped and left Britt to be fed to the lions while all the women were crying. I don’t recall any group date in Juan Pablo or Jake Pavelka’s season where all the women were crying.
Besides giggling like a girl, Chris also seems to have either a short temper or be very impatient with low tolerance for drama. They haven’t really emphasized that part but I’ve noticed it now after several episodes, when he speaks with the women. I agree with you, I doubt Whitney and him will ever get married.
Thanks for the hard work! Looking forward to Vegas!
Comment: I agree on that. He definitely skirted his way out of a few drama possibilities by just leaving the scene.
I was listening to your spreecast video this week and found the question interesting when you were asked about how you get paid. I Just wanted to let you know that I check your site a few times a day. I check it a few times a day to see if your columns are up (I live in a different time zone). And then I go back and read your readers comments. Not to mention I never miss a Spreecast. You are by far the best Bachelor blogger on the net. Since I visit your site numerous times a day, I even take my iPad to work with me and re-read your colums and tweets! I guess you can call me a RS homer! Makes me feel good that I could help your income in a small way. I even turned some of my friends on to your site. Well thanks. Your check is in the mail.
With that being said, I know you said not very many people liked your daily links during the off season. Well I for one never missed a link. I know you said you didn’t want to bring the links back, but I think that you should come up with something during the off season to keep the traffic to your site coming in. I know you deserve a break from all this batchelor stuff, but I worry about you! God, I feel like your mother! Like what is going to happen when the show finally goes off the air. You said you love your job and it’s the best gig you could of ever hoped for. I’m sure you have some irons in the fire for when the show ends. But I think you should milk this gig for everything it’s worth. I know you aren’t a fan of gossip, but maybe during the off season you can do a “where are they now” column on past contestants. Us diehards would eat that up! There’s a chance I bring “Daily Links” back in a couple weeks. Haven’t decided yet.
Just wanted to add this…I think that you are a handsome man, well spoken and my favorite thing, you are snarky as hell. I would love to make it out for your birthday party, but just don’t have it in my budget right now. 🙁
Keep up the excellent work and I wish you well for your future endeavors.
Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to add something else…there are, I don’t know, maybe 1,000’s of other bloggers out there who write about this crazy show. I have read a few of them, like Sharleen Joynt’s, but there are many, many others. Some of them are snarky and some are just plain stupid. There is even one lady who writes a blog and she has a PhD in psychology! I think if I had a PhD I would be doing other things then writing about the Bach/’ette! Just wanted to let you know that your site is by far the most informative and funny. Your site blows everyone else’s away. You get so much of your information stolen, it is so obvious when I read other columns. But we all know there is only one REALITY STEVE!
Comment: Thanks. My ego couldn’t possibly be more inflated than it is after that. The only “Bachelor” recap I read consistently is Grantland’s with Jacoby and Juliet. I just don’t have time to read other people’s thoughts on the show because, honestly, I just don’t care. I barely ever read what I write after I write it, I certainly don’t care to hear what others think.
I love your blog–your sarcastic sense of humor is so entertaining. I have a non-Bachelor question for you. Seeing as how you are a Connie Britton fan, what do you think of Nashville? I had high hopes but find myself disappointed with the cheesy writing.
Comment: I’ve seen every episode of the show and love it. I think it’s really good. It’s a TV drama so of course some storylines will be cheesy and campy, but I really like the show.
This morning they talked about a recent poll taken that asked how many women shower daily! Sly plug or did the bachelorettes this season start something? 🙂
Comment: Lets hope this doesn’t become a trend.
Love your site! First time writing it…
Random question, but one I’ve been wondering about. When people date a huge deal breaker can be smoking. Can people smoke when at the mansion or are smokers banned? You never hear a bachelor/ bachelorette complain that one of the contestants is a smoker!
Comment: Yes, there are women on the show who are smokers. They just don’t smoke while they’re there. At least not that I can remember.
Is writing for RS your FT gig, or do you have another job as well? If blogging is what you do – lucky you! Seems like so much fun.
I enjoy reading your page each week!
Comment: Yes, this is my full time job.
I just finished last night episode because I was in class last night. I think it crap that Becca waited to tell Chris that she was a virgin until she was in the fantasy suite. Has she not seen the show and know Chris would have expectations. I am not a guy but that seemed really wrong to not tell Chris at dinner and wait until she in a hotel room primed by producers for some action between to hot blooded horny adults. Although, very pretty and sweet Becca clearly is clueless about men and sex. I would never do that to a guy but i am also not a virgin. Any thoughts on how you handle that situation if you were Chris?
Comment: By saying the BS he said to Becca. Tell her that doesn’t matter and that he respects it (which I actually do since it’s not very easy to do nowadays), but ultimately you know that played a huge role in his decision. He just can’t say that on national TV since it’d make him look horrible.
Thanks for the awesome website. I’m sure you’ve heard this many times before, but you make Bachelor/Bachelorette worth watching. Your spoilers and snarky comments make it a fun watch, especially when everyone on the show is trying so hard to prove how “real” their feelings are. In fact, I only started watching the franchise after I discovered your site 🙂
I don’t really have a question, it’s more of an observation. Now that Chris is also participating in DWTS, he is going to be away from Arlington (the place he claims to love) for several more weeks. Between his stint on Andi’s season, being the Bachelor and now DWTS, it feels like he has hardly been in Arlington at all over the past year. If you actually add the number of days he’s been away from home for promos and other Bachelor commitments, he might as well get a change of address form from USPS.
Given this, it would seem like his farm is doing just fine without this “farmer”. Why make it such a big issue then? He can clearly stay anywhere he wants for a majority of the year and maybe just go to Arlington a couple of weeks every quarter. Frankly, I highly doubt even he lives in Arlington all year round.
Thanks again for the spoilers!
Comment: I don’t know Chris’ living habits before September of 2013 when he left to film Andi’s season, so I can’t speak to that. What you say is correct. He’s been gone an awful lot over the past 18 months and will be going forward with DWTS. But he says that’s his life, so he must have to be there or want to be there often.
Send all links and emails to: email@example.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.