Episode 7: (airing June 29th) Killarney, Ireland (6 to 3)
This is where the show changed things up this season. It’s also the one episode this season I know the least about. Usually at this point, the show narrows it down to 4 guys, we then see the lead travel to the those 4 guys hometowns (which usually end up getting spoiled on social media) and one is eliminated. That did not happen this season. Per the show press release, we know that there was a date that included a concert by the Cranberries. That date went to Jared Haibon. There was also a date where they got to kiss the Blarney Stone. I don’t know who was on that date, or any other dates in Killarney.
What I can tell you about Killarney is that 3 guys definitely went home. Those three are…
Rose Ceremony Eliminations: Joe Bailey, Jared Haibon, and Chris Strandburg. I think Chris was actually eliminated on whatever date he had, but not 100% sure. However, Joe, Jared, and Chris were definitely eliminated this episode.
UPDATE JUNE 24th: The group date is Nick, Shawn, and Joe and Killarney National Park. The three 1-on-1’s go to Chris, Ben H., and Jared. Chris confirmed to be eliminated during his date.
Episode 8: (airing July 6th) Ireland. Overnight Dates. (3 to 2)
So for those that asked me in the last couple weeks, “Why haven’t you told us the Final 4” was because there never was a final four. They went from 6 down to 3, skipped where the hometown dates normally took place, and immediately started the overnights with Ben H., Nick, and Shawn. They stayed for a third episode in Ireland and that’s where the overnight dates took place.
Rose Ceremony Elimination: Ben Higgins.
Episode 9: (airing July 13th) Hometown Dates in Park City, Utah.
So if that part wasn’t weird enough, this season only TWO people had hometown dates, and those hometown dates didn’t even take place in the guys’ hometowns. You can blame social media for that. The show was sick of getting their hometown dates spoiled publicly by either me or social media, so they flew both Nick and Shawn’s family to a private resort in Park City, Utah to film the hometown dates. Hence the reason no pictures ever got out. But try as they may, I still found out about it. Actually knew about it two weeks ago which was when I started telling you they did things different this season. I had to hold on to it until everything had completed because I wanted to see how it all played out.
The one thing I’m not sure about is how this is gonna play out on TV. Hometown dates are usually with 4 people with a rose ceremony at the end and someone gets eliminated. This episode is with 2 people, and there’s no rose ceremony at the end because Shawn and Nick are the final two. How the hell are they going to fill 2 hours? Maybe it’ll only be an hour episode since they got an extra hour tomorrow night? I don’t know, but we’ll find out as we get closer to the air date.
Also, I have no idea if this is going to be the norm going forward with only 2 hometown dates, them being filmed in a secluded location, and happening AFTER the overnight dates. We won’t know until the next “Bachelor” season starts filming in September.
Episode 10: (airing July 20th) Men Tell All.
Episode 11: (airing July 27th) Finale. Nick Viall vs Shawn Booth.
And in yet another somewhat twist, they didn’t go anywhere special for the final rose ceremony either. Last season they landed themselves in beautiful Arlington, Iowa for the final rose ceremony. This season they came back to Los Angeles, and the final rose ceremony was held at the mansion. I’m sure both of these guys were thrilled about that. On Byron’s season of the “Bachelor” (the last time they had a two lead start to the show), the finale was held at the mansion as well, so maybe this is their thing. Whatever the case, Shawn and Nick are your final two. And now I can officially say it: I love Kaitlyn Bristowe. Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce to you to the female Brad Womack!!!!:
Kaitlyn rejected both Nick and Shawn. She is single.
UPDATE: This spoiler was wrong. On June 15th, I posted the new updated spoiler. You can read that here So you can disregard what I wrote following this. What I posted on June 15th is how the show ends. Kaitlyn got engaged to Shawn.
I know, I know, I know, I know. “Steve, the last time you told us someone was single was Ali and you were wrong about that before you corrected it on the final day.” Yes, that’s correct. That was also 5 years ago and has nothing to do with this season. Just like I can’t prove any other season that I’ve been right who the lead chose, I’m certainly not going to be able to prove something that DIDN’T happen. Just know that Kaitlyn chose neither Shawn or Nick and she is a single woman. She’s also not still dating them. She rejected both and left the show as a single woman, choosing not to continue on with either of them. That’s going to lead to a ton of questions and speculation over the next 2 months, so let it begin. I absolutely am aware that people will doubt this, and all I can say is, you don’t know what I know. It’s as simple as that.
Ok, so lets dive into some aspects of this ending:
1. Will Kaitlyn be hated as much as Brad was? I say no just because she’s a female. Much easier to pounce on a guy who “leads people on” then dumped them. As for Kaitlyn, absolutely she will get her fair share of haters in this, but to me, it’s completely unwarranted. Sure, you’re allowed to hate her. But for what? Because she chose not to get engaged to people that she apparently didn’t see a future with? I’ve always said that Brad Womack 1.0 was my favorite season because it was the most realistic. The guy got down to the end and decided he didn’t see himself being married to either Deanna or Jenni, so he didn’t propose. Yet he was public enemy #1 in all of America and ripped to shreds for it. Kaitlyn won’t be nearly as hated because she’s a female and time has passed since Brad’s season, but she definitely will have many detractors. The ironic thing in all of this? The season that started out with negativity called “sexist” and “demeaning to women,” will end up with the girl the guys chose as the “Bachelorette” not ending up with anyone, and the girl who was rejected, Britt, still in a relationship with the guy who left the show the first night to be with her.
2. The social media game. This is going to be the thing that has people freaking out over the next couple months. Because every tweet, Instagram pic, and public appearance Kaitlyn makes will be scrutinized. If she tweets a love quote, I will get emails saying, “Why would she tweet a love quote if she’s not with anyone?” Same goes for Nick and Shawn. Now that the spoiler is officially out there, I fully expect Kaitlyn/Nick/Shawn to start dropping clues that the spoiler is wrong. Whatever they do, it’ll all be for naught. This is the ending of the show. They can’t change it. So nothing anyone says over social media from now until July 27th when the finale airs will matter. Dissect it like a high school science class frog. It means nothing.
3. The possibility Kaitlyn changes her mind. Not only would it make her look bad, but it would make the guys look bad if she did and either one took her back. But when the ATFR airs, and Chris Harrison has just shown the ending of the show of Kaitlyn dumping both guys, do I expect him to say, “Has Kaitlyn changed her mind?” Ab-so-freakin-lutely he’ll tease that. But I highly doubt she will. And once again, nothing she tweets or Instagrams in the next two months will be anything definitive of what she’s doing. She knows how to play the game. I fully expect her to start screwing with people now that the spoiler is out there.
4. The backlash for what she does on the show. When watching this season, you always have to keep in mind that this is a television show. Just because you’ll hear her say glorious things about Nick and Shawn, probably even say she loves if not one, but both of them, doesn’t mean she has to get engaged to them. She’s not “leading anyone on” by saying she loves them, or even sleeping with them, only to dump them at the end. Whether Kaitlyn knew on the first night or she knew on night 20 she wasn’t going to get engaged, she can’t stop filming the show. That’s what you signed a contract for. Here’s something else I can tell you: During the “Women Tell All” after party on Chris’ season, which was roughly 3 weeks before she started filming, Kaitlyn was making out with Zack Kalter. Everyone there saw it. Does that make her a bad person? No. Does it make her any less open to getting engaged? No. But it happened. Remember when I said in my periscope broadcast last week Kaitlyn was calling the shots? This is what I was talking about. This girl marches to the beat of her own drum. I applaud her for it. Basically saying that she made the call to not get engaged to either of them, and that takes a lot of balls in the “Bachelor/ette” world because the leeches will be coming for blood now. That is why I love Kaitlyn right now. Did what she wanted and it will probably go against what a majority of the people will like. Good on you, Kaitlyn. Not to mention my next point…
5. Nick, Nick, Nick, Nick. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. Seriously dude, how about you do us all a favor and never come back on this show again? I wanna say I hope this guy has learned his lesson by now becoming the first guy in the history of the show to get dumped at the end on consecutive seasons of the “Bachelorette,” but I’m sure he hasn’t. I’m sure when the “Bachelor” starts airing next January, Nick will be front and center live tweeting the show every Monday night, will pick out one of the girls that’s his favorite, will contact her through social media, begin an off social media flirtation with her, FaceTime her every night, then show up on her season only to get dumped again at the end. Wash, rinse, repeat. In fact you know what Nick? Don’t listen to me. Keep doing it. It’s becoming comical at this point watching you get dumped. I want to see this happen every season. Lets just let Nick come on every “Bachelorette” season, get taken to the end, only to have his heart stomped on. You have a record in “Bachelor/ette” history that’ll never be broken. Congrats, buddy. I mean think about it now, how many of you are waiting in anticipation for Nick getting Kaitlyn on that couch at the ATFR and wondering whether he’s gonna ask, “Then why did you make love to me?” Seriously, it might be the one thing I’m looking forward to all season. Do it Nick. Do it for all of America.
6. What kind of precedent is this setting? The whole Nick return to the show really makes no sense to me. I don’t understand why he did it, but it sure doesn’t set a good precedent. So basically when the “Bachelor” starts airing next season and we see all the hot girls, we know former “Bachelor” guys will be interested in them. So now guys from previous seasons can all go to “Bachelor” producers and say, “Hey, you let Nick come on and date Kaitlyn. Well, I’m talking to so-and-so and her and I are hitting it off. If she’s the next ‘Bachelorette,’ I wanna be on the show.” How they allowed Nick to do this already having a prior relationship with Kaitlyn really makes them look bad and leaves future seasons open to this possibility. Not to mention, Nick sent at least 15 tweets from his Twitter account during the time he was on the show, something no other contestant in the history of the show has been able to do. So why they bent over backwards for him really sets a bad example. Whether it was actually Nick tweeting those things or a producer tweeting it for him, it still makes no sense why his account was allowed to and no one else could. Why pander to the probably 5% of your audience who even had a clue he was on the show?
7. Who becomes the next “Bachelor?” From everything I’m hearing, there are three candidates next season: Shawn Booth, Chris Strandburg, and Josh Murray. We are still months away from that announcement happening, so the more I hear, the more I’ll pass along. But Shawn and Chris are the only guys from this season they are seriously considering. As long as Josh Murray stays single, I know he’s a guy they would want.
8. What about “Bachelor in Paradise?” I’ll have a list tomorrow of people who I’ve heard are gonna be on it. But if you look back at the previous 4 summer shows (Bach Pad 1-3, BIP), the “Bachelorette” season that’s airing while those shows were filming (they start filming first week of June), have only taken people from the “Bachelorette” season who got as far as final 4. Meaning that Ben H., Shawn, and Nick won’t be appearing on BIP 2 this season, because the second anyone finds out they’re down there filming, we know it eliminates them from Kaitlyn’s season, and they wouldn’t want that getting out. Chris Bukowski (BP3) and Marcus (BIP) were two guys who got eliminated at final 4 of their “Bachelorette” seasons, but still filmed that summer show. But remember, their names weren’t initially released as part of the cast. So you can rule Ben H., Shawn, and Nick out. They wouldn’t take the chance of bringing those guys down to Paradise.
So there you go. I know, a lot to digest and probably some hesitation on your end. It is what it is. Don’t shoot me, I’m just the messenger. Every season I tell you what happens, and every season you see it play out. This will be no different. Let the countdown to July 27th begin. Back tomorrow with your episode 1 recap and a lot of news and notes.
Send all links and emails to: email@example.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.