The Bachelorette 11 - Kaitlyn/Britt

The “Bachelorette” Kaitlyn Finale Recap Incl Twitter React, Ratings, & Tons of Other News & Notes

So here we are after another completed season. 30 now in the books. Nothing we saw last night really should’ve surprised any of us. Maybe the fact that Nick never actually proposed, even though he started to, but other than that it was pretty standard for finale purposes. If we go back to Nick meeting Kaitlyn’s family which is what the show started with, there’s one thing I wanted to point out. This whole thing he was saying about, “Look, I’m not here to be on TV. I’m just here for Kaitlyn” is such a line. Obviously he can say that because he knew who the “Bachelorette” was when he entered the show, but that doesn’t eliminate the fact he enjoys the attention and did this to be on TV again. ANY contestant on ANY future season can enter in episode 4 and say the same exact thing to whoever the lead is. “Hey, obviously I’m here for you and that’s why I came on.” How is that really any different than Shawn showing up the first night because he wanted Kaitlyn to be the “Bachelorette?” Josh last season coming on and saying he only came on for Andi? It’s not any different, yet, Nick tries to pretend like it was. Did they have a pre-existing relationship? Yes. Did he like her? Absolutely. But as I’ve been saying all season, he didn’t have to come on the show. I’m sure his life would’ve been fine and he could’ve found a date if he didn’t.

When Shawn met her parents, basically all his mom wanted to talk about was the fact that he hated Nick and was worried about the jealousy issues. Oh mommy, no need to worry about that. Shawn is a big boy now. He and Kaitlyn do all sorts of grown up things now. They talk, they text, they FaceTime, they Snapchat videos of each other in bed. I think Shawn will be fine knowing he got the girl in the end. If Kaitlyn had chosen Nick? Well then we might’ve seen the wrath of Hulk start throwing chairs and sofas on that set last night. I mean, I get what they were trying to do. From episode 4 we knew this season was all leading up to Shawn vs Nick. They built their whole season around it. The problem was two months after the fact, these guys really didn’t care anymore. Do they like each other? No. And I’m sure it probably was a tad uncomfortable on the couch next to him. But it really didn’t matter. Kinda like “Survivor” where most jury members get over it by the time the live finale airs, so did these two.

Nick’s last date with Kaitlyn started out with him popping open a bottle champagne. If there were ever a vision that summed up Kaitlyn and Nick’s relationship the best, it had to be the overflowing bubbly out of that bottle. You notice that both guys last chance dates with Kaitlyn were so far removed where anyone could see them? I mean, so with filming changing almost at the last minute, they weren’t possibly gonna take a chance with these final two being seen on a hotel rooftop or something like that. Nick is out on a boat in Marina Del Rey, and Shawn was up in the hills. Kinda where it looked like Chris and Whitney were before they crashed that wedding, but I have no idea. Nothing too important on Nick’s last date with Kaitlyn except for the all important “final” gift. Doesn’t everyone pretty much give the lead something to remember their journey by? Just one of these times I’d love to see someone say, “Here. I got you a chocolate bunny.” Or something that’s not a note, poem, picture frame, collage, etc. Someone give the lead an Xbox. Or a gift card to Sephora. Something other than pictures and collages. We’re getting tired of them. Or at least I am.

Shawn’s last date was equally as boring and not the least bit interesting. Of course, that is until he gave her his final gift. A jar of crap. It honestly looked like a jar of candy that sits at people’s houses on Halloween night. I could’ve sworn I saw Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Snickers in that thing. Would it really have killed him to throw a couple of those in there anyway? Even if Kaitlyn hadn’t already decided to pick him, I bet that would’ve pushed her over the top. Who can resist Snickers? Especially these two lovebirds. You look close enough, you might see some wrappers in their Snapchat video. Kidding. There weren’t any. But there should’ve been. If you took all your memories from your time with Kaitlyn on this two month journey and threw them into a jar, well frankly, you suck. And speaking of final gifts, does Kaitlyn just chuck the photo frame Nick gave her the second he left the room? Obviously she can’t keep it around her place since we know ShawnHulk would break into pieces.

I’ve always enjoyed the Neil Lane appearance. Not because I care for his rings, but just for the sole fact this guy just shows up with a box of rings pretending they are custom made for the lead (or final contestant on the “Bachelor”) when they’re obviously not. He makes rings, they’re ridiculously expensive, you choose one you like, and you give it away on national television without having to pay for it so Neil gets his ROI. Hell, half those rings are probably rejected ones from previous seasons anyway. Didn’t you love Neil’s acting job last night pretending he didn’t have a clue who Nick was and that he almost met him last season? Really Neil? You had no clue, huh? It never crossed your mind why you only met Josh? I think the fake tanning might have fried your brain. Not that we’d ever be able to get a real answer to this, but you wonder how many people have purchased engagement rings from Neil Lane because of this show? It’s like when I watch the Super Bowl. Pepsi could make the funniest, most creative, commercial filled with celebrity cameos. I’m still drinking Coke. Engagement rings aren’t impulse buys. Obviously some people like what Neil does and I’m sure today there will be some column on Kaitlyn’s ring along with the size, cost, cut, color, etc. (and here it is). I know nothing about rings. I’m just curious if this guy is selling crap, or, how far down the “Jewelers I’d Buy From” list he is?

1. soccertory

July 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I guess I don’t get the difference between posting anti-emails and reposting tweets. And ironically Steve called out Kaitlyn for reposting mean tweets and then does it himself. The whole self-congratulations thing he does at the end of each season is the most obnoxious thing about this site. And I couldn’t even read page 5. What was that word vomit that took up almost a whole page?

And how insanely awkward it was to put Nick’s family in the front row?!? Tasteless and mean. For them and Kaitlyn who obviously saw them.
    The whole ATFR was horrible. The editing was choppy, Chris Harrison was Mr. Interrupter and didn’t let anyone actually say anything. Every time they would start to say something interesting, he would cut them off and ask a different version of the same question. I wanted to punch him in the the throat.
    It was boring. Can’t wait for some crazy BIP to make things funny again.

2. carrins1

July 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Thank you Steve for another great season. Haven’t missed one with you for the past 5 years and will continue to follow for years to come. I appreciate your humor, humility and wit. I look forward to watching BIP with you!

3. jessicat

July 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM

I agree, soccertory. Steve is so obnoxious when it turns out he was correct. Although this season, chances are he wouldn’t have been right if Kaitlyn hadn’t spoiled the season herself. It’s annoying that he’s still being cocky about it. I couldn’t even read the whole thing.

4. Sunnyside422

July 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Also a very long time reader…before you even began spoiling this nutty show and as always appreciate all your efforts to entertain us with your wit.

Nothing negative from me and I feel that if people find you are too :wordy” then continue to stop reading.

I sincerely hope we have seen the very last of Nick. How many times can he make an ass of himself in front of millions of people? And how can his family continue to believe he is wonderful. I guess love is really blind.

Love the Chris Bukowski reference…classic…but now Nick is rapidly turning into another Bukowski! Sad.

Shawn and Kaitlyn…good luck to you both till one day you wake up next to each other and say…meh…enough, I’m done with you!

Oh did everyone read that one of the biggest hounds, Ed Swiderski actually married someone? Ykees to the girl.

Onward to Ben’s season. He will be very easy on the eyes for sure and a nice change from horse face and the other guy who always looks for cameras even while passionately kissing! Dumb ass.

5. purplerayne

July 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Steve really is wordy…but I dont think us pointing it out will ever make a difference 🙂 So I just scan his posts to get to the good stuff and skip over the bs (like the re-tweets).

I just feel bad for Nick’s family. That poor mom! I need to give her a hug.

6. angelfish

July 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Horrible lead, horrible winner, horrible runner-up, horrible dates, horrible clothes and horrible drama.

But thanks to Steve’s recaps, I’m still on board this crazy train and look forward to the next stop.

7. shellylite

July 28, 2015 at 1:20 PM

From above comment on putting Nick’s family in the front row: “Tasteless and mean.” That describes this whole franchise. I have noticed that Bachelor in Paradise is more fun, because Chris Harrison basically stays out of the picture. He’s the one who is tasteless and mean. He tries to create animosity between the players, like when Sean “confronted” Nick last night. There was never going to be any fight, etc. but Chris tried to play that up. He chooses a villain every season, probably started the gay rumors between JJ and whoever it was, and tries to orchestrate the nastiest stuff on the show. Why can’t the Bachelor/Bachelorette be more fun without the nastiness? Sean even said that the show played up the animosity between him and Nick and that flew right over Chris’s head. He just ignored the comment completely.
    He’s an a$$ and I hope he leaves the show. He has an undercurrent of nastiness to his whole personality. Other than CH, I thought this was a better season than others,, because Kaitlyn is the kind of person who grows on you, and she seems rather normal compared to past contestants, and her sense of humor really helped. I also liked that she made mistakes and wasn’t perfect and had sex, which is what normal people do quite a bit of before they get engaged. Right??? I can’t believe Chris H. kept saying she was “controversial”. How was she controversial? This isn’t the 1950s.

8. shellylite

July 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM

By the way you are right on the spoilers point… I could not care less if I know who “wins”. I turn it on anyway.
    Most of the show is filler fluff anyway so it’s an “on in the background” shows. There is no way an intelligent person can sit there and watch it and not be multitasking.

9. yankeesgirl

July 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM

First and foremost, it seems as though you did something to your website to make it not crash my computer every time – and for that I am very grateful.

Thanks for the reads – reading about this show is much less boring than watching it. For the love of language, can you please calm down on the apostrophes… not everything is possessive. You’re a writer, after all.

Cheers!

10. cjscjs711

July 28, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Actually like Kaitlyn a lot better after seeing these two episodes – especially meeting her family again, in this context. I think not introducing the audience to ‘the whole of Kaitlyn’ (no pun, please) was the biggest mistake the franchise made. It made it so easy for people to distrust her, misread her, etc.

Steve’s nyah-nyhah-n-nyah-nyah about the naysayers has never bothered me. I empathize knowing how frustrating it is to me to read comments about images or people Iv’e shot that are totally off the mark and not be able to say anything about it. Granted, these comments weren’t public until he made them so; but I understand the frustration and the relief he may feel from venting, which is what I think this is.

11. vessel

July 28, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I wish they would have laid off a little on the Nick/Shawn drama on ATFR and let Kaitlyn and Shawn talk a little about how they plan to logistically make this work living in two different countries and all. Frankly that’s a lot more topical and interesting to me than the old news of manufactured conflicts between 2 guys a few months ago.

12. Caroll

July 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM

How stupid was Chris Harrison’s comment to Shawn and Nick that they should “hug it out?”

13. kata

July 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Ratings for the show last night have been upgraded. This season makes the top summer show that is not a special. I loved watching it because I like Kaitlyn. I loved her family. It’s refreshing seeing loving people who are not all uptight. Very happy these two ended up together and it’s clear Shawn was there for her. I have hope they will last. The cyber bullying, hatred and slut shaming thrown their way… made them stronger while making those doing it all that is wrong with the internet. Kaitlyn and Shawn will either decide to live in Nashville or Vancouver. I watched them on Jimmy Kimmel. They were great. 🙂

14. whattamorondude

July 28, 2015 at 4:56 PM

I am glad this season is over for several reasons (and yes I like to look at a train wreck, but I do grow tired……)

Kaitlyn’s cackle (nails on a chalkboard)

Shawn’s Western gun man slinging walk and plastic hair.

Nick’s slushy voice, shifty eyes, hands constantly on face, trying too hard beaded bracelets and overall smarm.

And finally, Steve’s overly compensating blah blah blog posts.

Until next season fellow readers!!!!!

15. product19

July 28, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Does anyone else feel like Nick got exactly what he wanted to by getting sent home? Maybe he’s thinking, “Bring on the pity sex!”

Anyone else spot his pre-mullet, too?

16. brick

July 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Yes, thank you Steve for another great season. Had it not been for your blogs I’d never have gotten through this painfully bad season. I too, won’t miss her hyena cackle, forced as it was. Like nails on chalkboard.

17. justforfun

July 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM

I think Nick acted like an as* when Kaitlyn let him go. He knows the games the producers play, so shouldn’t have blamed Kaitlyn for not letting him go early. What point was there to his arguing with her? To make her feel bad? Grow up, accept that she liked someone else better, and leave in a respectful manner. What a big baby, and no class at all!
    He even did the same thing to her that he did to Andi, except this time it was “why did you tell me that you love me?” Which was probably said in the heat of the moment. He needs to stay off TV, and far away from reality shows.

I really think Kaitlyn was in this for the fame, but she seems to have found someone she likes, so who knows if they will last? Probably not, but I didn’t think Des & Chris would last either.

18. auntpreppy

July 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Don’t think my friends and I would enjoy the season nearly as much without RS’s spoilers and recaps.

I did like Shawn’s memory jar…a collection of mementos is always nice…but not as nice as an XBox, pair of shoes, or a mixed tape. But if the jar was big enough- he can just throw those things in too!

Thanks for another great season RS!!

19. wadagoducks

July 28, 2015 at 7:33 PM

I actually stopped watching when the show brought Nick on. To me, he’s trying way too hard to be a hipster, and we have enough genuine hipsters in Portland that I speak from experience. I find hipsters generally annoying, but someone who is actually failing at hipsterism is both annoying and clueless. My skin literally had a crawling feeling whenever Nick was on screen.

20. chris0210

July 28, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Another great season! Right or wrong I love reading your recaps and every week you have made me laugh! Thanks!

21. eden

July 28, 2015 at 9:24 PM

throne of lies heifer XD omg can’t breathe

22. adrie

July 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM

I disliked this season immensely. The editing, the story line, the change in format, the drama, Kaitlyn herself, none of it worked for me. I really hope next season is better and I don’t feel so agitated after watching an episode.

23. rigal

July 28, 2015 at 11:58 PM

I do not understand Kaitlyn’s iciness when talking to Nick on ATFR. His question was legit and he asked it without contempt. However, Kaitlyn first addressed it with her infamous eyeroll. Then compared her saying ‘I love you’ to Nick to feeling love toward Ben H. (like come on–totally different). She completely downplayed her pre- Bachelorette romance with Nick AFTER Nick told us how often they’d contact each other and explained there were def mutual feelings. She made a pretty mean joke saying she didnt mean for him to come mid-season. (this is def something they must have spoken about before so WHY bring it up again on TV, just to paint him in a worse light??). She FINALLY admitted she could have handled the breakup better but after 5 minutes of talking in a circle. And then Shawn, trying to intimidate Nick saying ‘is that your new nickname?’ [the other guy] was also immature–like really, you still need to take a shot, you already, ‘won’ the girl… Both Kaitlyn and Nick acted way more immature than I expected from two 30 years olds. I really hope she just stays in Canada and we dont see her on our screen again.

24. duckquack

July 29, 2015 at 1:44 AM

Kaitlyn is immature, so is Shawn….reminds me of the time that Horse mouth Josh Murray made fun of Nick, and continued every chance he got to show his mug face on TV..

Nick is Nick and a better man, searching for a woman he connects with, Kaitlyn is the one that opened her legs, just like Andi…I’m 100% sure Nick did not force either one to take their panies off…..so why trash the man who wants to find a woman, they all rushed to Reality TV, why should Nick be exempt….

Shawn needs to get that nose shaved down quite a bit, and his possessive character will kill the relationship..Kaitlyn is smug, and after all who brought Nick back on the show?…the producers of course, to shake things up a bit, otherwise she could not have carried the show with her limited vocabulary and giggle giggles….Kaitlyn should join Jillian and the alcohol, they are 2 peas in a pod…Let’s paint the town red….

Ben Zzzzzzzzzzzz, that’s a man….Clint and JJ better dudes than Kaitlyn could ever be…
    Oh if you read Jillian’s blog, she had to take a dig at Ed her ex, he just got married….Ed had a better job than anyone on her show, he was educated, where Jilly has herself an errand boy, Justin…dude has no job, let alone a career like Ed has….Jilly thought Ed would forever be a frat dude, WRONG Jillian and a cheap shot what you wrote…Take your little big nose Justin the errand boy to Starbucks, and you go get drunk.

Ben Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is the man, and I would take Nick any day before Shawn…Shawn doesn’t even have a career, what will you do but go watch The Grand old Opry….

25. LynnS

July 29, 2015 at 5:12 AM

I watched Kaitlyn and Shawn on GMA. They are both incredibly immature. They said they laughed when they saw Nick throw his ring while in the limo. Whether you like Nick or not, he was hurting at that time – and they thought it was funny. Yeah, real mature.

26. LynnS

July 29, 2015 at 5:30 AM

From a previous commenter: “For the love of language, can you please calm down on the apostrophes… not everything is possessive. You’re a writer, after all.”

Another thing he consistently does is he writes “lets” when it should be “let’s” most of the time.

27. brick

July 29, 2015 at 6:21 AM

I wish people would stop criticizing RS’ grammar, spelling, etc. Don’t confuse writers with editors. The writers I know all rely on an editor to catch the small stuff you’re obsessing over.

I didn’t watch GMA and from the comments people are making I’m glad I didn’t. So Kaitlyn & Shawn found it funny when Nick threw away his ring right after being rejected? Yes, those two are right out of high school. If nothing else the two immature losers deserve each other. As others have said it was a bad season all around. Casting Kaitlyn didn’t help matters much but the changes in format were bad and I don’t buy into anything Chris Harrison says. Ever. He’s just too smarmy.

28. jlyoung

July 29, 2015 at 6:54 AM

I literally disliked Shawn so much I fast forwarded through almost every segment he was in. Sometimes I tried to watch ATFR moments but it gets SO awkward its too hard to watch. Why should Shawn and Nick be anywhere near each other, let alone on the same couch? I would have NEVER given Shawn the dignity of addressing him, especially by name. Shawn is a desperate, pathetic, insecure man. I’m sure he looks in the mirror and sees something VERY different than what everyone else sees. If you don’t have the looks at least come through on personality, Shawn. I think that he and Kaitlyn definitely deserve each other and I hope their inevitable break up is as nasty as Shawn’s behavior towards Nick. That, I will enjoy. What a couple of losers. Stay gone!

29. lovetheworld

July 29, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Nick is such a loser, attention seeker, and really a biggest joke in the world. He complained that Andi didn’t give him a closure last season so he must out their sex and this season he complained that Kaitlyn didn’t let him leave earlier. I can’t believe some people hope he is next bachelor. Most of the people loved to watch him get rejected not that they want to watch him find love.

30. gromon85

July 29, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Everyone should also check out their ET interview. Kaitlyn is laughing about how awkward it was ” when someone wants to spend the rest of your life with you and you don´t” Shawn was laughing right with her. She seems like an insensitive, immature, cold-hearted b**** to me. I agree with the posters above that those two seem like the two mean kids in high school. Come on, they may not like Nick after the fact, but at least show some compassion. Jeeeeeez.

31. LynnS

July 29, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Brick: With all due respect, I will criticize RS’ grammar if I wish. And I am not obsessing over it. I made only this one comment in all the years I’ve been following him. I would never say anything about mistakes we all make occasionally, but this is habitual. You may not find it annoying, but I do.

32. Susan

July 29, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Yes, I was shocked also by Kaitlyn’s nastiness. The eye rolling was ridiculous. At least show a little respect. I agree though it’s like the two mean kids getting together, and I hope they ride off into the sunset until the eventual parting but still friends crap.

I didn’t like her from day 1, the laugh was horrific. The smug expressions was like a smug child wanting to get her way. I would be so happy if we never have to see her again, but from what I’m hearing she is going to be on DWTS 🙁 🙁 🙁

33. wiggy5

July 29, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Hi Steve~! love your column by the way!! I truly liked the analogy about ESPN; so true! This show is mindless entertainment for me; as an old married lady, I find it absolutely hilarious most of the time and look forward to your column and reviews. You nailed it again and congrats!! The haters will always be there…
    I do agree wholeheartedly regarding Nick’s family; what the hell? Subjecting young siblings to this stuff is ridiculous and borders on mental abuse. Is being on TV that important? why would they even want to come…why try to figure it out…
    As for your dream: “To have something stolen from you suggests you feel you have been robbed of something valuable to you such as your credibility. OR you may feel you aren’t getting the credit or recognition you deserve, that you have worked so hard for.”
    Pretty fitting I would say!
    Keep winning in Vegas!!

34. ashleigh11

July 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I wasn’t a fan of Nick’s during Andi’s season and didn’t really like him through most of Kaitlyn’s until the last couple of episodes. I thought he came off extremely well, handled the family intros/meeting, breakup and ATFR with class and appeared quite genuine. Nick came off far better than Kaitlyn did during that whole thing. This season felt like far more of a real blindside to the #2 guy than any other that I can remember and I don’t think Kaitlyn was particularly sensitive in handling the situation. Nick should also definitely keep the beard – he looks 100% more attractive with it, than without.

Anyway… I think Kaitlyn and Shawn will have a fun ride and then burn out fairly quickly. They have very different temperaments and while sometimes that can be complementary in a relationship, I just don’t see it here.

35. yankeesgirl

July 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM

haha I am not obsessing over Steve’s errors in grammar or otherwise. We all make mistakes and it’s not a big deal. As someone that criticizes his own readers and the people he writes about, it seems as though he’d want his ducks in a row when it came to his own work product. But I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. I’m just happy there’s another person here that notices these errors!

36. christine

July 29, 2015 at 8:49 PM

I’m glad to see other people point out Steve’s grammar and spelling issues as well. I get that back when this was just a fun, silly thing he did on the side, he wasn’t going to proofread or put much effort into making sure the posts are error-free. But now that this is his JOB and sole source of income, you’d think he would put a bit more effort in.

37. brick

July 30, 2015 at 7:32 AM

The irony is Kaitlyn and her most ardent fans kept harping on how “honest” she supposedly is as though she’s some virtuous goddess. Yet she blindsided Nick more than most of the past bachelors/bachelorettes have when it came to the final 2nd as someone above aptly put it. I’ve seen her as more comfortable lying than most. Her lack of empathy has always been somewhat disturbing. If you know you’re hurting someone and doing it on national TV yet, and you’re getting what you wanted all along with someone else anyway, there’s no need to go there. Not if you’re a decent human being. We know she’s not very bright which isn’t a crime, but add in cruel and she’s just a female version of some of the slimy guys we’ve had on in past seasons.

Kaitlyn is a narcissistic nut bar and Ms. Fruitloops and Shawn deserve each other. It’s a pity they rested this season on her sexual escapades because it detracted from who she is as a person and those flaws are extreme and unlikeable enough all on their own. Kaitlyn appears to think of herself as a great prize but I’m sure by now Nick, his family, and the other guys and their families are secretly relieved she went with Shawn or someone, anyone, else.

Most of all I feel sorry for Kaitlyn’s future children, regardless of who the daddies turn out to be. They deserve better.