The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 8 Recap Incl Ratings, Blogs, “Bachelorette” Talk, and Lauren a Liiiiiiiitle Tipsy

Photo Credit: ABC

-Hometown dates is always a fun episode because we get to see what families spawned these children who’d put their life out there for the public to make fun of. And sometimes we even get a goofy family to laugh at as well, so that’s amusing. We started with Amanda’s hometown date in Orange County, where Ben looked like he stole Nick’s capri’s from that plane video. However, in the very next scene as he’s walking towards Amanda, Ben already has on these nut hugger shorts from 1985. I think those were called the “John Stockton Specials” back in the day. Whatever the case, Amanda’s blouse almost comes falling off (the first time) as she runs towards him and gives him a hug. He lifts her, no spin, but they kiss. So lets mark that down for our records as we keep track tonight. Should it mean anything he didn’t spin her around? Probably not. But it’s always fun to pretend that it does. And lets face it, Amanda is a total spinner.

-Amanda is looking forward to how Ben interacts with her kids so she preps him before they show up. “They love if you chase them. You know, just like their mom.” Well, maybe not the second part. The only chasing being done this season is every girl not named Lauren B. having to chase after Ben. That’s not going so well for them. Amanda tells Ben that she didn’t feel her kids were a priority to their dad. Really? You don’t say? I could’ve sworn leaving the kids home with your mother while you go out on Tinder dates was great parenting. I guess I’m mistaken. When Kinsley and Charlie come walking up, Amanda goes running to them with her blouse almost falling off (2nd time) as they all have a good cry together. The kids seem a bit shy at first but then it starts to settle in that they’re used to stuff like this. Daddy brings home some strange seemingly every other weekend, so it’s not like they aren’t used to meeting new people all the time. If Ben just holds their hands and lifts them in the air, they’ll probably consider him Dad of the Year.

-So what do you do if you’re on the “Bachelor/ette,” you’re a single parent, and you get to the hometown dates? Well, you play tag and fly kites! Hey, Brad flew kites with Emily’s daughter too! And he picked her! This is totally a match made in heaven. Ooooorrrrr, maybe not. Kinsley seems like the total athlete while Charlie is just chillin’ not having any of this. Like, “Where’s my juice box and can I go watch Baby Einstein now? This is totes lames.” Kinsley being chased by Ben is cute, but still isn’t nearly adorable is if Amanda would’ve chased him down the beach, tagged him, then started making out with him in the sand, “Airplane” style. Unfortunately, we didn’t see that happens which blows. We just saw making sand animals, kite flying, and Charlie giving everyone the stink eye because she wanted to peace the f**k out of this date. Pronto. So we see them driving back to Amanda’s place and Charlie has turned on the tears in the car. It didn’t look like she was crying as loud as the show made it, so I’m assuming this was just for storyline purposes. When Amanda takes her out of the car once their home, and almost has her blouse fall off again (3rd time), Charlie doesn’t look like she just had a crying fit. I’m paying super close attention to these things.

-We are meeting Amanda’s mom Michelle, her dad John and I believe her sister whose name I didn’t catch. That’s ok because I don’t believe she said anything the whole date. Amanda goes and talks to her mom first and says she’s always been guarded. Ok, memo to all future “Bachelor” contestants. Lets stop it with that line. Every contestant ever on this show tells us they’re guarded and that it’s a really big deal if they bring a guy home to meet their parents. 1) If you’re so guarded, this is the last show you need to be coming on. 2) You’re only introducing him to your parents on date 3 (sometimes 2) because it’s the format of the show, so stop pretending like you just made some major relationship decision in doing this. Amanda asks her mom, “Can you see me with him?” And of course mom lies like she should and tells her, “Yeah, eventually. I can tell he likes you a lot. I really want this to work out.” Translation: No.

-Ben sits down and talks with daddy Johnny. Dad: “What does the future look like with Amanda?” Translation: Please tell me you’ll be her next boyfriend. We can’t stand that douchenozzle of a baby daddy she has. Dad actually gave Ben some decent advice. “There’s a difference between thinking you want kids, and then actually having kids in your life. There’s gonna be times where you can’t do what you want to do. Of course, their dad still does it and just passes the kids on to mom, but we don’t need another one of those around.” I think while Ben is processing all of this, he’s picturing a life with Kinsley and Charlie and Amanda and starts to sweat. He needs to calm himself down, so he goes up into Kinsley’s room with Amanda, and reads a story to Kinsley that starts out with, “There was a guy named Ben, and a girl named Amanda, and”…that’s it. That’s all we got of the story. Are you kidding me? We couldn’t even hear him get to the end of the story where he says, “…So instead of taking your mommy to the fantasy suites next week and sexually having my way with her every which way to Sunday, I had to dump her. The end.”

-I was going over in my head the last few seasons of this show both “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette,” and basically every season is going to have at least ONE single parent on the show. It’s inevitable. I almost can’t remember the last season that didn’t have one. Remember, the lead has no say in who gets cast. As mentioned on page 1, those questions they ask potential leads is so generic, when they were interviewing Ben they probably did ask if he liked kids, if he wanted kids, would he mind a single mom on the show, etc. And he probably approved of all of them. But when you really get down to it, is a 26 year old guy really ready to settle down and want to be with someone who has 2 kids under four years old? Probably not. Amanda was cast on this show strictly because of her story, she was attractive, and she was likable. Did they ever think Ben was gonna choose her? Absolutely not. But parts of her hometown gave the audience what they wanted, along with giving JJ Lane a boner. Good luck, Amanda. You might wanna block all Colorado area codes you see on your phone from now on.

February 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM

I completely agree that the editing of Teen Mom’s kids crying was way over done. The audio didn’t match the video. That said, you might theoretically think an “instant family” is OK. But when kids are that age…. oh, I remember that. Going on a trip to the beach entails lugging along all kinds of stuff to entertain them and keep them clean. Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, toys, sunscreen, etc. And then, they have fun, but they inevitably tire and get grouchy And probably after an hour, or two tops. Then you have to stop what you’re doing, somehow get them in the car seat and get home before you start getting the urge to beat them. That had to be an eye opener for Smiling Pete, no matter how good of a guy he might be. Even as a parent you sometimes question why you thought having kids was a good idea….. as much as you love them. Errrr… instant family might not have sounded so good after that date.

But the real reason to send Teen Mom home wasn’t her kids. It was her roots. OMG! Couldn’t someone have gone out and bought the woman a box of Clairol hair color, or something? Doesn’t peroxide work in a pinch? You know, personal grooming is a factor to guys. If you have six inches of dark roots growing out of your head, even clueless guys like Smilin Pete are going to have wonder about how much you are keeping yourself together, appearance wise. It was not a good look, at all. I guess she was an episode short of getting a stylist to work on her hair and her marginal makeup effort. Too bad. That might have saved her. Caila’s got nothing going for her except looks (and has zero chemistry with Pete) and JoJo had close to a nightmare hometown date with the Brothers o-Tools. I would have been perfectly find if Ben punched both of them in the face. I’ll bet anyone that knows them would agree with that. Anyway, there was room for Teen Mom to slide in front of one of them. If she could have reigned in the Frankenstein’s Bride look, I think she could have survived another week.

2. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Tough poll question this week. Ben may have WORKED with kids before, but there is a big difference between working with kids and being a parent. So he kinda needed to see if he could handle being instant dad to Amanda’s kids but the look on his face before they came into her parents house spoke volumes he should’ve said to Amanda before he left there that he can’t be an instant dad to her kids and tell Chris to cancel the rose ceremony and left Amanda there.

3. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM

One of my favorite parts from the epi last night was when Amanda asked Ben why he made her come to LA if he knew he was cutting her loose. Well Amanda, you traveled all the way from the OC, while Caila came from Ohio, Lauren from Portland and JoJo from Dallas. She had the shortest trip. I was amused.

After watching this show, I think Ben should have picked JoJo. I get her bros being overprotective, and perhaps one of them being a douche, but I think she is the best match for him. I think she is a low maintenance, mature woman. And damn, she looked amazing in that red dress last night.

4. hales

February 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Anyone who doubts Steve’s prediction just needs to look at social media for confirmation. The powers that be are trying so hard to hide on social media that Lauren won, that they are just making it more obvious. Last night Lauren had retweeted someone’s tweet to Mike Fleiss saying that her sister, Mollie, should be the next Bachelorette. It was deleted quickly after. Also, Lauren is the only girl in the Top 6 that has never posted a picture of her and Ben on Instagram. Not a coincidence.

5. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM

By the way, if the next Bachette is either Caila or JoJo, both would qualify as a minority, since both legally are. Caila is half Filipino, and JoJo half Iranian.

I’d prefer JoJo.

February 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Can we dispatch with the idea that anyone should get special treatment on this show? Why should a Mom get extra special handling? The kids were like 2 and 3. They forgot about Smilin Pete about an hour after he left. So, are Mom’s just extra sensitive to getting dumped? No, it doesn’t matter who you are. When you get towards the end, getting dumped is extra embarrassing and extra sucky. But, guess what? All of these women signed up & all of them get dumped except one, who gets the honor of being dumped in the tabloids a little later. Teen Mom is getting a better dumping than whoever is standing out there by the ocean waiting for a ring when she gets a two by four across the forehead. And I think all are getting it way better than Lauren B, who’s going to have to deal with the tabloids, social media and all the haters when she gets dumped 2-3 months after the final show. So, can we stop it with the Mom’s should get dumped before a rose ceremony? Nobody gets a good dumping. They all suck.

7. angelfish

February 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM

AS far as propaganda goes, Caila’s family ruled. The Filipino connection was hit and hit HARD in several ways. JoJo’s Iranian connection wasn’t even hinted at, much less showcased. In the run for a non-Caucasian Bachelorette, Caila’s got the upper hand. She specifically looks non-white. JoJo can’t claim that.

IF ABC is still going for their “diverse” lead, they edited Caila and her family perfectly last night. And as I’m definitely a Caila fan, I thought it played very well.

8. smurfette22

February 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Amanda looked PISSED last night. Like I honestly thought she was going to slap him in the face. But I’m sorry, she signed up for the show. She knows what she’s getting herself into. I think all of those group date roses went straight to her head. Her daughters are adorable though. But I agree with Rob22, yes, she’s a mom and yes, it’s a big deal to introduce someone to your kids, but she knew there was a chance she’d go home. Besides, he probably wanted to meet everyone’s family before making his decision. Ever since her ex-husband went to the tabloids, I’ve been wondering if she went on the show to get back at him instead of finding love.

Jojo’s family was incredibly rude. She walked into her parents’ house and everyone ran up to her and basically yanked her away from Ben and completely ignored him. She had to introduce him like 3 times before they would pay attention. I understand she has overprotective brothers, but it seems like they were just being jerks because they knew they would get a lot of airtime for that. Also, Ben mentioned how he didn’t appreciate how they were all talking about him in the kitchen and I wonder if he was close to letting her go instead of Amanda. Also, Jojo’s “I love you” sounded more like a subject changer than anything else. She was probably afraid he was going to dump her because she just spoke to her ex so she wanted to distract him. One more thing about Jojo is if I had a nasty break up (and I’m assuming it was pretty bad since he cheated) and I wasn’t planning on getting back together with him, there would be no way I would let my ex watch my dog while I went on a reality show. He parents or brothers or roommates could have watched her dog. But her ex? I wouldn’t be surprised if they got back together.

9. cjscjs711

February 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM

The poll question, the way it was phrased – Of course he should have let her go. He should have let them all go long ago. But it’s a TV show, entertainment, with a schedule. It could not have been any other way. Don’t you think, realistically that is?

10. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Yeah after seeing Calia’s family I warmed up to Calia being bachelorette if she is indeed chosen. She’s unique enough. Even her mom’s speech was almost a perfect pitch for her to be bachelorette. But I guess time will tell who the Bachelorette will be.

11. hurricaneemily

February 23, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Hi, Steve.

In answer to your poll question, yes, Amanda should have been sent home before hometowns.
    Here is a link to my episode 8 recap: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-8-recap/

12. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Squeaky mom got to juggle her boobs to reel the big fish to feed her children. She’s a 100% mom! Except when she’s taking off for 2 months with a 4% chance to bring home the bacon!
    And who was taking care of the kids while she was gone???
    The dad that she trashes on TV for her kids to see…
    Let’s not forget that she took out time to drive all the way from Orange County to LA, what a SUPERgirl!!!

13. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Mama Soraya is a gem!
    Did you hear her surprised ‘Oh’ after JoJo told her there are 3 more girls waiting in line!

14. jojomo356

February 24, 2016 at 5:39 AM

My husband and I both think its weird that Ben says he feels most comfortable around JoJo, yet doesn’t choose her. Is she in the friend zone or something?

15. rigal

February 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM

Did anyone else notice Lauren B calls a libRary a ‘libary’!!!!

16. smurfette22

February 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM

YES! I totally noticed how she pronounced it “libary’! Let’s hope that ITM was AFTER some of that whiskey.

February 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM

I try not to read too much into things, but looking at JoJo during the Rose Ceremony, it really looked like she thought she was going home. With the ex fiasco and the semi disaster home town… and her not really opening up her fake feelings & pretending to love Ben…. it did seem she was on the chopping block. But I do literally think that Ben experiencing Teen Mom’s kids led him to know that he wasn’t signing up for any of that. So, JoJo lived another day. I don’t see that there is, or will be any special connection there, though. Nor do I see any special connection with Caila. I think Teen Mom, JoJo and Caila are all kind of on the same level with Lauren way up on a pedestal. So, maybe Ben thought he was saving Teen Mom from any more trouble so she could head home to the kids. But, I think he literally could have flipped a coin for F2-4. F5 if you include Becca. Just luke warm connections with all of them. I’m sure that JoJo will get played up big time next week…. get ready for the mis-directs and edits to play a big part. But even without the spoilers, this one is pretty obvious.

18. lissylou

February 24, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Jojo’s ex’s email is confusing. He wanted you to take his info down, but also wanted you to focus on him and their past? That’s odd.

19. cjscjs711

February 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Not that this is the only site that does it, but I really wish people would refer to people by their actual names rather than made-up names. The “Teen Mom” comment came about during a scene in which Amanda was clearly being denigrated for having kids at a young age from a bad marriage with a guy she’s now tied to – something that happens sometimes to people of all ages.

To keep perpetuating that characterization, as though this woman deserved the comment – I know it’s meant to be funny, but it isn’t funny. She’s what, 23 or 24 now. She wasn’t a teenager when she had kids and she’s no different from any woman who gets a divorce from a bad situation. How often does divorce occur from a good situation. Amanda.