The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 8 Recap Incl Ratings, Blogs, “Bachelorette” Talk, and Lauren a Liiiiiiiitle Tipsy

Photo Credit: ABC

-Next hometown is in Portland, Oregon with Lauren B. Now if you read the spoilers, Lauren’s hometown was filmed last, so for TV purposes they moved her to the second slot last night, Caila 3rd, and JoJo last, I’m assuming, because hers had the most drama. Although not sure if you caught one thing when Lauren’s dad was saying to Ben how he’s probably met other families by now, and Ben chimes in “a couple…” Oops. Continuity error. Fire that intern. Anyway, Lauren’s big thing is she tells us she’s already in love with Ben “but I haven’t told him that.” Pssshhh. Like you even need to at this point. He’s putty in your hands at this point. You could probably tell him that you have a UTI and he wouldn’t care. Would probably try and treat it for you on the spot too. When they meet up he does lift her and kiss, but no spin. Lauren’s much taller than Amanda so we can’t call her a spinner. However, considering her choice of occupation, all we want to know at this point is if she’s a charter member of the Mile High Club? I guess we’ll have to wait and find out. Or never find out.

-She welcomes Ben to Portland, which is also known as the “city of roses.” She forgot to also mention it’s the city that drafted Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA Draft, which basically put a curse on the entire franchise. You don’t think so? Ask them how they felt about a 15 pt lead heading into the 4th qtr of Game 7 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals against the Lakers, only to lose by 5. Great memories. And oh yeah, you also took Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. So Portland, while you may be the city of roses, you’re also horrible NBA talent evaluators when you have a high pick in the draft. But enough about Rip City and your long line of losing teams, we see Lauren show Ben the “Keep Portland Weird” sign that Mandi had in her intro video. They hang out at Pioneer Square which has a bunch of food trucks from which they scarf down their lunch from. Looks quite healthy. No wonder Lauren H. said all the girls gained weight in that interview. They ate crap from lunch trucks! Not the most nutritional meals on the planet last time I checked.

-She then took Ben to a whiskey library where they had a bunch of different whiskeys, and now Ben can’t even remember the name of the last girl whose hometown he was even in. What was her name again? The one with the kids? Oh yeah, Amanda. Whiskey > kids is pretty much what Ben is convinced of right now. And why wouldn’t he be? Although if he’s not careful, too much whiskey might lead him to kids. Or whiskey d**k. One of the two. They head to Lauren’s parents house where he’s going to meet her dad Dave, mom Kristen, sister Mollie, and two brothers, Bryant and Brett. If only there was a white picket fence around their house, this family could be a Norman Rockwell painting. Although, maybe Norman would have to include Lauren in the picture behind bars in an Indio prison for that little Coachella mishap last year. Meh, no biggie. However, coupled with her pic Friday night with Amanda all lubed up, maybe someone needs one of those breathalyzer tests for her birthday. I’m sorry, I gotta see those again…

AmandaLaurenB

Schmammered.

-Her sister Mollie has questions for Ben. Like, loads and loads of them. You can just tell Mollie is an uber fan of this show and can probably recite all past hometown dates, winners, and who’s hooked up with who. I just get that vibe. Mollie: “How do I know you’re not saying the same thing to all these families?” Well, you don’t and he is. So I hope that answers that. Mollie: “What makes her stand out to you?” Ben: (starts crying) “I can’t put it into words…I feel real lucky (sniff sniff).” Well not that you need any sort of proof of anything that I told you 3 months ago, but hey, if you did, you just got it. The guy got choked up talking about Lauren to her sister. Did he get anywhere close to that with anyone else’s family? Not a chance. This is a slam dunk and has been since I was even reporting it was Lauren while filming was still going on. This is a bigger slam dunk that the Trailblazers holding a 15 point lead heading into…woops. Bad example. But you get my drift. I don’t need anything I see on the show to prove any spoilers because, well, I just know he’s with Lauren and have for a while. But there are some that need to see proof/pictures/videos/credit card accounts etc. Last night you got it.

-When Ben talks to Lauren’s dad, it’s all about getting the perfect line out there for him to buy. Her dad was skeptical about the whole thing because he said that he and his wife dated for years before getting married, and now Ben might do it in such a short time. Ben’s answer: “When I make that commitment, and get down on one knee, it’s because it’s real.” Well thanks for clearing that up, Ben. Because the numerous failed engagement previously on this show give Dad a whole bundle of hope that you can be #2 in 20 seasons to actually marry the final girl you choose. You haven’t been convincing enough yet, so daddy Dave needs some time with Lolo. Yes, her nickname is Lolo. Sounds like a Brazilian soccer star. Dad reminds her that there are three other girls in the mix and to not get too excited yet because “I don’t want my baby Lolo hurt.” Although that made Lolololololololololo cry, deep down she’s probably been picking out how many carats she wanted since about Vegas. “Ok dad, I hear ya’. Thanks for the advice. But you have no idea. I got this guy so sprung on me right now, he’d probably eat food truck cuisine off the ground if I had it in my hand right now.”

February 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM

I completely agree that the editing of Teen Mom’s kids crying was way over done. The audio didn’t match the video. That said, you might theoretically think an “instant family” is OK. But when kids are that age…. oh, I remember that. Going on a trip to the beach entails lugging along all kinds of stuff to entertain them and keep them clean. Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, toys, sunscreen, etc. And then, they have fun, but they inevitably tire and get grouchy And probably after an hour, or two tops. Then you have to stop what you’re doing, somehow get them in the car seat and get home before you start getting the urge to beat them. That had to be an eye opener for Smiling Pete, no matter how good of a guy he might be. Even as a parent you sometimes question why you thought having kids was a good idea….. as much as you love them. Errrr… instant family might not have sounded so good after that date.

But the real reason to send Teen Mom home wasn’t her kids. It was her roots. OMG! Couldn’t someone have gone out and bought the woman a box of Clairol hair color, or something? Doesn’t peroxide work in a pinch? You know, personal grooming is a factor to guys. If you have six inches of dark roots growing out of your head, even clueless guys like Smilin Pete are going to have wonder about how much you are keeping yourself together, appearance wise. It was not a good look, at all. I guess she was an episode short of getting a stylist to work on her hair and her marginal makeup effort. Too bad. That might have saved her. Caila’s got nothing going for her except looks (and has zero chemistry with Pete) and JoJo had close to a nightmare hometown date with the Brothers o-Tools. I would have been perfectly find if Ben punched both of them in the face. I’ll bet anyone that knows them would agree with that. Anyway, there was room for Teen Mom to slide in front of one of them. If she could have reigned in the Frankenstein’s Bride look, I think she could have survived another week.

2. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Tough poll question this week. Ben may have WORKED with kids before, but there is a big difference between working with kids and being a parent. So he kinda needed to see if he could handle being instant dad to Amanda’s kids but the look on his face before they came into her parents house spoke volumes he should’ve said to Amanda before he left there that he can’t be an instant dad to her kids and tell Chris to cancel the rose ceremony and left Amanda there.

3. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM

One of my favorite parts from the epi last night was when Amanda asked Ben why he made her come to LA if he knew he was cutting her loose. Well Amanda, you traveled all the way from the OC, while Caila came from Ohio, Lauren from Portland and JoJo from Dallas. She had the shortest trip. I was amused.

After watching this show, I think Ben should have picked JoJo. I get her bros being overprotective, and perhaps one of them being a douche, but I think she is the best match for him. I think she is a low maintenance, mature woman. And damn, she looked amazing in that red dress last night.

4. hales

February 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Anyone who doubts Steve’s prediction just needs to look at social media for confirmation. The powers that be are trying so hard to hide on social media that Lauren won, that they are just making it more obvious. Last night Lauren had retweeted someone’s tweet to Mike Fleiss saying that her sister, Mollie, should be the next Bachelorette. It was deleted quickly after. Also, Lauren is the only girl in the Top 6 that has never posted a picture of her and Ben on Instagram. Not a coincidence.

5. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM

By the way, if the next Bachette is either Caila or JoJo, both would qualify as a minority, since both legally are. Caila is half Filipino, and JoJo half Iranian.

I’d prefer JoJo.

February 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Can we dispatch with the idea that anyone should get special treatment on this show? Why should a Mom get extra special handling? The kids were like 2 and 3. They forgot about Smilin Pete about an hour after he left. So, are Mom’s just extra sensitive to getting dumped? No, it doesn’t matter who you are. When you get towards the end, getting dumped is extra embarrassing and extra sucky. But, guess what? All of these women signed up & all of them get dumped except one, who gets the honor of being dumped in the tabloids a little later. Teen Mom is getting a better dumping than whoever is standing out there by the ocean waiting for a ring when she gets a two by four across the forehead. And I think all are getting it way better than Lauren B, who’s going to have to deal with the tabloids, social media and all the haters when she gets dumped 2-3 months after the final show. So, can we stop it with the Mom’s should get dumped before a rose ceremony? Nobody gets a good dumping. They all suck.

7. angelfish

February 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM

AS far as propaganda goes, Caila’s family ruled. The Filipino connection was hit and hit HARD in several ways. JoJo’s Iranian connection wasn’t even hinted at, much less showcased. In the run for a non-Caucasian Bachelorette, Caila’s got the upper hand. She specifically looks non-white. JoJo can’t claim that.

IF ABC is still going for their “diverse” lead, they edited Caila and her family perfectly last night. And as I’m definitely a Caila fan, I thought it played very well.

8. smurfette22

February 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Amanda looked PISSED last night. Like I honestly thought she was going to slap him in the face. But I’m sorry, she signed up for the show. She knows what she’s getting herself into. I think all of those group date roses went straight to her head. Her daughters are adorable though. But I agree with Rob22, yes, she’s a mom and yes, it’s a big deal to introduce someone to your kids, but she knew there was a chance she’d go home. Besides, he probably wanted to meet everyone’s family before making his decision. Ever since her ex-husband went to the tabloids, I’ve been wondering if she went on the show to get back at him instead of finding love.

Jojo’s family was incredibly rude. She walked into her parents’ house and everyone ran up to her and basically yanked her away from Ben and completely ignored him. She had to introduce him like 3 times before they would pay attention. I understand she has overprotective brothers, but it seems like they were just being jerks because they knew they would get a lot of airtime for that. Also, Ben mentioned how he didn’t appreciate how they were all talking about him in the kitchen and I wonder if he was close to letting her go instead of Amanda. Also, Jojo’s “I love you” sounded more like a subject changer than anything else. She was probably afraid he was going to dump her because she just spoke to her ex so she wanted to distract him. One more thing about Jojo is if I had a nasty break up (and I’m assuming it was pretty bad since he cheated) and I wasn’t planning on getting back together with him, there would be no way I would let my ex watch my dog while I went on a reality show. He parents or brothers or roommates could have watched her dog. But her ex? I wouldn’t be surprised if they got back together.

9. cjscjs711

February 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM

The poll question, the way it was phrased – Of course he should have let her go. He should have let them all go long ago. But it’s a TV show, entertainment, with a schedule. It could not have been any other way. Don’t you think, realistically that is?

10. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Yeah after seeing Calia’s family I warmed up to Calia being bachelorette if she is indeed chosen. She’s unique enough. Even her mom’s speech was almost a perfect pitch for her to be bachelorette. But I guess time will tell who the Bachelorette will be.

11. hurricaneemily

February 23, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Hi, Steve.

In answer to your poll question, yes, Amanda should have been sent home before hometowns.
    Here is a link to my episode 8 recap: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-8-recap/

12. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Squeaky mom got to juggle her boobs to reel the big fish to feed her children. She’s a 100% mom! Except when she’s taking off for 2 months with a 4% chance to bring home the bacon!
    And who was taking care of the kids while she was gone???
    The dad that she trashes on TV for her kids to see…
    Let’s not forget that she took out time to drive all the way from Orange County to LA, what a SUPERgirl!!!

13. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Mama Soraya is a gem!
    Did you hear her surprised ‘Oh’ after JoJo told her there are 3 more girls waiting in line!

14. jojomo356

February 24, 2016 at 5:39 AM

My husband and I both think its weird that Ben says he feels most comfortable around JoJo, yet doesn’t choose her. Is she in the friend zone or something?

15. rigal

February 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM

Did anyone else notice Lauren B calls a libRary a ‘libary’!!!!

16. smurfette22

February 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM

YES! I totally noticed how she pronounced it “libary’! Let’s hope that ITM was AFTER some of that whiskey.

February 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM

I try not to read too much into things, but looking at JoJo during the Rose Ceremony, it really looked like she thought she was going home. With the ex fiasco and the semi disaster home town… and her not really opening up her fake feelings & pretending to love Ben…. it did seem she was on the chopping block. But I do literally think that Ben experiencing Teen Mom’s kids led him to know that he wasn’t signing up for any of that. So, JoJo lived another day. I don’t see that there is, or will be any special connection there, though. Nor do I see any special connection with Caila. I think Teen Mom, JoJo and Caila are all kind of on the same level with Lauren way up on a pedestal. So, maybe Ben thought he was saving Teen Mom from any more trouble so she could head home to the kids. But, I think he literally could have flipped a coin for F2-4. F5 if you include Becca. Just luke warm connections with all of them. I’m sure that JoJo will get played up big time next week…. get ready for the mis-directs and edits to play a big part. But even without the spoilers, this one is pretty obvious.

18. lissylou

February 24, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Jojo’s ex’s email is confusing. He wanted you to take his info down, but also wanted you to focus on him and their past? That’s odd.

19. cjscjs711

February 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Not that this is the only site that does it, but I really wish people would refer to people by their actual names rather than made-up names. The “Teen Mom” comment came about during a scene in which Amanda was clearly being denigrated for having kids at a young age from a bad marriage with a guy she’s now tied to – something that happens sometimes to people of all ages.

To keep perpetuating that characterization, as though this woman deserved the comment – I know it’s meant to be funny, but it isn’t funny. She’s what, 23 or 24 now. She wasn’t a teenager when she had kids and she’s no different from any woman who gets a divorce from a bad situation. How often does divorce occur from a good situation. Amanda.