The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 8 Recap Incl Ratings, Blogs, “Bachelorette” Talk, and Lauren a Liiiiiiiitle Tipsy

Photo Credit: ABC

-You are looking live at Hudson, Ohio where it’s the site of Caila and Ben’s hometown date (said in my best Brent Musberger voice). Ben immediately starts out the date before meeting her with a, “Calia challenges me because she’s real.” A lot of things seem to be “real” to Ben. Well, besides JoJo’s breasts. But that’s like Ben’s favorite word. Jimmy Kimmel loves cutting up video of how many “amazing’s” are said every episode, when he should probably spend time figuring out how many times Ben says something is “real.” Have at it, Jimmy. The first place Caila takes Ben is to her high school park bench. You know, since Ben didn’t take her to his and took his favorite girl of the season, Caila tries to get in his good graces by taking him to a wooden bench where Caila claims she never got freaky. Then again, when you pay $35k a year in tuition to go to Western Reserve Academy, I’m sure they fine you if you just for farting on campus. Thank you to the reader who emailed me that info last night. Yikes.

-And oh yeah, Ben and Caila did the lift and kiss, but no spin. What happened this season? The lift and spin is a staple of this show just as much as “this is the final rose tonight,” “say your goodbyes,” and the resident drunk on night one. Maybe there’s something to Lauren saying the girls putting on weight. Possibly Ben noticed and didn’t want to lift any of them. Hell if I know, but the next male lead really needs to bring back the lift & spin. These barely-off-the-ground lifts with just kissing is too plain. Spice it up people. Speaking of spicing it up, Caila decides to take Ben to the toy factory that her dad is CEO of. Apparently Build-a-Bear was too crowded that day or something. They’re going to build a toy house together and Caila is beyond ecstatic for this. “It’s so sweet how much Ben cares about building this house.” If by cares you mean completely embarrassed, then yeah, I totally agree. Then again, this might’ve been the most real (there’s that word again) and honest hometown date of the bunch. Why? Because I’m pretty sure these are the toys that Caila still plays with daily.

-At home, Ben will meet Caila’s dad Chris, her mom Rosanna, and her younger brother Chris. Mom immediately starts in with, “Have you met Filipino’s before?” I think that was actually a rhetorical question because I’m guessing at some point in his white bred life, Ben randomly crossed paths with someone who wasn’t white. However, Ben seemed to take the question seriously and actually answered it by saying “no.” Points for Warsaw, Indiana! Meth capital of the world and has no Filipinos anywhere! Ben then gets serves a smorgasbord of Filipino food, most of which, he probably never took a bite of. His dad informs him that “you’ll have an interesting relationship when you date Caila. You’ll be introduced to the Filipino culture.” Pretty sure Ben didn’t think he signed up for this when he agreed to do this show. Basically, daddy is gonna make Ben a full blown Filipino by the end of this meal whether Ben likes it or not. Not so sure Ben wants any part of that. After Manny Pacquiao’s latest comments about gays, I think Ben will pass on being the next Filipino president.

-Ben goes and talks to Caila’s mom where she asks him what he likes most about Caila. “She’s been very cool during this process…she’s joyful, cute, bubbly, smiles, asks questions…said the things that are real.” Real. Again. Everything about Caila is real except, well, everything. I’m sure Caila thinks the toys her dad’s company makes are real places that you can visit by traveling on a magic carpet and singing songs, all while some prince fawns over you. I get the sense that Caila lives in a world that the rest of us don’t. Like if you had the ability to read her brainwaves, you’d just see a Disney CD of animated movie songs running on a continuous loop. Her mom, however, totally agrees with Ben. So much so that she doesn’t think her daughter has an equal. “There hasn’t been someone who’s been her equivalent.” Not even Princess Jasmine? Mulan? I get that it’s her mother and she’s going to prop her daughter any chance she can get, but, she can’t find a dude who’s her equivalent? Maybe because guys don’t want to live in Candyland with her. But hey, that’s just me.

-When she’s talking to her dad, Caila breaks into a whisper and says, “Dad, I know this is it.” We’re whispering now because you think Ben is gonna hear you? Why not just pass your dad a note? Or better yet, pass Ben one of those notes asking if he likes you or not? Nice touch with the whispering. Like Ben can hear you. You’d think that maybe Caila thought Ben was close enough to hear, yet, she did it AGAIN when she spoke to her mom. She whispers, “I know he’s the one. Do you think he’s in love with me?” And Rosanna, being the good mom that she is wearing Lauren Himle’s retainer, responds back “Yes.” Well, for all the wealth and knowledge Chris and Rosanna possess, they sure missed the boat on that one. Of course, do we really expect them to tell her, “Oh honey, please. He doesn’t like you. He’s just going through the motions.” Of course not. That’s what JoJo’s brothers are for. We still don’t know who’s going to be the “Bachelorette,” but watching this hometown made it clear she’s certainly a viable candidate. Not that I think she’d be better than JoJo, because I don’t, but Caila will smile, she’ll cry, she’ll have issues of opening up, and she’ll basically give producers exactly what they want in that role. You may not like her, and I’m certainly not a huge fan, but I’m objective enough to realize I could absolutely see why they’d put her in that role if they do. It’s almost like she was made for that role because of how much of a show it seems like she’s constantly putting on. And that’s what this is – a show.

February 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM

I completely agree that the editing of Teen Mom’s kids crying was way over done. The audio didn’t match the video. That said, you might theoretically think an “instant family” is OK. But when kids are that age…. oh, I remember that. Going on a trip to the beach entails lugging along all kinds of stuff to entertain them and keep them clean. Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, toys, sunscreen, etc. And then, they have fun, but they inevitably tire and get grouchy And probably after an hour, or two tops. Then you have to stop what you’re doing, somehow get them in the car seat and get home before you start getting the urge to beat them. That had to be an eye opener for Smiling Pete, no matter how good of a guy he might be. Even as a parent you sometimes question why you thought having kids was a good idea….. as much as you love them. Errrr… instant family might not have sounded so good after that date.

But the real reason to send Teen Mom home wasn’t her kids. It was her roots. OMG! Couldn’t someone have gone out and bought the woman a box of Clairol hair color, or something? Doesn’t peroxide work in a pinch? You know, personal grooming is a factor to guys. If you have six inches of dark roots growing out of your head, even clueless guys like Smilin Pete are going to have wonder about how much you are keeping yourself together, appearance wise. It was not a good look, at all. I guess she was an episode short of getting a stylist to work on her hair and her marginal makeup effort. Too bad. That might have saved her. Caila’s got nothing going for her except looks (and has zero chemistry with Pete) and JoJo had close to a nightmare hometown date with the Brothers o-Tools. I would have been perfectly find if Ben punched both of them in the face. I’ll bet anyone that knows them would agree with that. Anyway, there was room for Teen Mom to slide in front of one of them. If she could have reigned in the Frankenstein’s Bride look, I think she could have survived another week.

2. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Tough poll question this week. Ben may have WORKED with kids before, but there is a big difference between working with kids and being a parent. So he kinda needed to see if he could handle being instant dad to Amanda’s kids but the look on his face before they came into her parents house spoke volumes he should’ve said to Amanda before he left there that he can’t be an instant dad to her kids and tell Chris to cancel the rose ceremony and left Amanda there.

3. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM

One of my favorite parts from the epi last night was when Amanda asked Ben why he made her come to LA if he knew he was cutting her loose. Well Amanda, you traveled all the way from the OC, while Caila came from Ohio, Lauren from Portland and JoJo from Dallas. She had the shortest trip. I was amused.

After watching this show, I think Ben should have picked JoJo. I get her bros being overprotective, and perhaps one of them being a douche, but I think she is the best match for him. I think she is a low maintenance, mature woman. And damn, she looked amazing in that red dress last night.

4. hales

February 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Anyone who doubts Steve’s prediction just needs to look at social media for confirmation. The powers that be are trying so hard to hide on social media that Lauren won, that they are just making it more obvious. Last night Lauren had retweeted someone’s tweet to Mike Fleiss saying that her sister, Mollie, should be the next Bachelorette. It was deleted quickly after. Also, Lauren is the only girl in the Top 6 that has never posted a picture of her and Ben on Instagram. Not a coincidence.

5. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM

By the way, if the next Bachette is either Caila or JoJo, both would qualify as a minority, since both legally are. Caila is half Filipino, and JoJo half Iranian.

I’d prefer JoJo.

February 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Can we dispatch with the idea that anyone should get special treatment on this show? Why should a Mom get extra special handling? The kids were like 2 and 3. They forgot about Smilin Pete about an hour after he left. So, are Mom’s just extra sensitive to getting dumped? No, it doesn’t matter who you are. When you get towards the end, getting dumped is extra embarrassing and extra sucky. But, guess what? All of these women signed up & all of them get dumped except one, who gets the honor of being dumped in the tabloids a little later. Teen Mom is getting a better dumping than whoever is standing out there by the ocean waiting for a ring when she gets a two by four across the forehead. And I think all are getting it way better than Lauren B, who’s going to have to deal with the tabloids, social media and all the haters when she gets dumped 2-3 months after the final show. So, can we stop it with the Mom’s should get dumped before a rose ceremony? Nobody gets a good dumping. They all suck.

7. angelfish

February 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM

AS far as propaganda goes, Caila’s family ruled. The Filipino connection was hit and hit HARD in several ways. JoJo’s Iranian connection wasn’t even hinted at, much less showcased. In the run for a non-Caucasian Bachelorette, Caila’s got the upper hand. She specifically looks non-white. JoJo can’t claim that.

IF ABC is still going for their “diverse” lead, they edited Caila and her family perfectly last night. And as I’m definitely a Caila fan, I thought it played very well.

8. smurfette22

February 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Amanda looked PISSED last night. Like I honestly thought she was going to slap him in the face. But I’m sorry, she signed up for the show. She knows what she’s getting herself into. I think all of those group date roses went straight to her head. Her daughters are adorable though. But I agree with Rob22, yes, she’s a mom and yes, it’s a big deal to introduce someone to your kids, but she knew there was a chance she’d go home. Besides, he probably wanted to meet everyone’s family before making his decision. Ever since her ex-husband went to the tabloids, I’ve been wondering if she went on the show to get back at him instead of finding love.

Jojo’s family was incredibly rude. She walked into her parents’ house and everyone ran up to her and basically yanked her away from Ben and completely ignored him. She had to introduce him like 3 times before they would pay attention. I understand she has overprotective brothers, but it seems like they were just being jerks because they knew they would get a lot of airtime for that. Also, Ben mentioned how he didn’t appreciate how they were all talking about him in the kitchen and I wonder if he was close to letting her go instead of Amanda. Also, Jojo’s “I love you” sounded more like a subject changer than anything else. She was probably afraid he was going to dump her because she just spoke to her ex so she wanted to distract him. One more thing about Jojo is if I had a nasty break up (and I’m assuming it was pretty bad since he cheated) and I wasn’t planning on getting back together with him, there would be no way I would let my ex watch my dog while I went on a reality show. He parents or brothers or roommates could have watched her dog. But her ex? I wouldn’t be surprised if they got back together.

9. cjscjs711

February 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM

The poll question, the way it was phrased – Of course he should have let her go. He should have let them all go long ago. But it’s a TV show, entertainment, with a schedule. It could not have been any other way. Don’t you think, realistically that is?

10. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Yeah after seeing Calia’s family I warmed up to Calia being bachelorette if she is indeed chosen. She’s unique enough. Even her mom’s speech was almost a perfect pitch for her to be bachelorette. But I guess time will tell who the Bachelorette will be.

11. hurricaneemily

February 23, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Hi, Steve.

In answer to your poll question, yes, Amanda should have been sent home before hometowns.
    Here is a link to my episode 8 recap: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-8-recap/

12. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Squeaky mom got to juggle her boobs to reel the big fish to feed her children. She’s a 100% mom! Except when she’s taking off for 2 months with a 4% chance to bring home the bacon!
    And who was taking care of the kids while she was gone???
    The dad that she trashes on TV for her kids to see…
    Let’s not forget that she took out time to drive all the way from Orange County to LA, what a SUPERgirl!!!

13. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Mama Soraya is a gem!
    Did you hear her surprised ‘Oh’ after JoJo told her there are 3 more girls waiting in line!

14. jojomo356

February 24, 2016 at 5:39 AM

My husband and I both think its weird that Ben says he feels most comfortable around JoJo, yet doesn’t choose her. Is she in the friend zone or something?

15. rigal

February 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM

Did anyone else notice Lauren B calls a libRary a ‘libary’!!!!

16. smurfette22

February 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM

YES! I totally noticed how she pronounced it “libary’! Let’s hope that ITM was AFTER some of that whiskey.

February 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM

I try not to read too much into things, but looking at JoJo during the Rose Ceremony, it really looked like she thought she was going home. With the ex fiasco and the semi disaster home town… and her not really opening up her fake feelings & pretending to love Ben…. it did seem she was on the chopping block. But I do literally think that Ben experiencing Teen Mom’s kids led him to know that he wasn’t signing up for any of that. So, JoJo lived another day. I don’t see that there is, or will be any special connection there, though. Nor do I see any special connection with Caila. I think Teen Mom, JoJo and Caila are all kind of on the same level with Lauren way up on a pedestal. So, maybe Ben thought he was saving Teen Mom from any more trouble so she could head home to the kids. But, I think he literally could have flipped a coin for F2-4. F5 if you include Becca. Just luke warm connections with all of them. I’m sure that JoJo will get played up big time next week…. get ready for the mis-directs and edits to play a big part. But even without the spoilers, this one is pretty obvious.

18. lissylou

February 24, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Jojo’s ex’s email is confusing. He wanted you to take his info down, but also wanted you to focus on him and their past? That’s odd.

19. cjscjs711

February 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Not that this is the only site that does it, but I really wish people would refer to people by their actual names rather than made-up names. The “Teen Mom” comment came about during a scene in which Amanda was clearly being denigrated for having kids at a young age from a bad marriage with a guy she’s now tied to – something that happens sometimes to people of all ages.

To keep perpetuating that characterization, as though this woman deserved the comment – I know it’s meant to be funny, but it isn’t funny. She’s what, 23 or 24 now. She wasn’t a teenager when she had kids and she’s no different from any woman who gets a divorce from a bad situation. How often does divorce occur from a good situation. Amanda.