The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 9 Recap Incl Blogs, Ratings, & Emily Maynard’s Book

Photo Credit: ABC

-Time for Ben’s date with Lauren and, no, it wasn’t minutes after Caila had just left. There is always a day in between each overnight date, although there was once a time where there wasn’t. And that’s just totes gross. Ben and Lauren take a small boat out to a place where they will play with sea turtles and let them free. I think the pigs in the Bahamas are pretty pissed at this date. By setting these turtles free, they are helping them survive. Hey, how come no one who won an Oscar on Sunday night went up there and got on their soap box about freeing the turtles? Leo can tell us all about global warming, and that one chick in the biker jacket can spew out her takes on society, but we can’t get anyone wanting to free the turtles? Sad. They set the turtles free to go out into the ocean, yet the second they hit the water, they’re bombarded by the tides. Good luck Cecil!

-Lauren is blown away by the turtles. “These are pretty amazing creatures…they live for 100 years…hopefully I could be with Ben for 100 years.” Easy there Lauren. You’re not going to be with Ben for 100 years. How about you start at 100 days and then just take it from there? Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Hell, he loves another woman just as much as you and told her so 1,563 times in Jamaica like he did you, so, tap the brakes a bit. Ben tells Lauren what happened when he talked to her sister on the hometown date and that he’d started crying. He thinks Lauren is too good for himi. “You’re smart, sweet, sensitive…it’s crazy.” Funny, because Lauren says the same thing back to him thinking he’s too good for her. These two are really trying to fish for compliments here even though both have known since about Vegas they wanted to knock the stuffing out of each other on the overnight dates and have probably set up a timer to when that day came. You know, kinda like how the pervs out there had a timer set up for when Mary Kate and Ashley Olson turned 18. Really? Is there a reason that was ever a thing? Now there’s one currently going for Bindi Irwin. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than Mary Kate and Ashley.

-They head to an area where some local Jamaican band is playing. Unfortunately, it wasn’t Shaggy. Because if they would’ve turned the corner, and this sh** would’ve been bumpin, it’s on…

They might’ve not even waited til they got into the room to play hide the sausage. Although, considering Ben’s love for two different women, maybe this one would’ve been more appropriate…

Damn, Shaggy had some bad ass songs back in the day. Have fun trying to get either of those out of your head today. I may or may not have downloaded them off Itunes already. Back in the day, I had both singles on cassette tapes. I had two full shoe boxes full of cassette singles and I know those were two of them. I’m sure they are still around somewhere collecting dust. Now that we’re in the day and age of downloads, isn’t it amazing how we used to have to listen to music? Crazy.

-So at dinner they have a pretty typical conversation. Ben: “It’s so good to be around you and share something so cool with you.” Lauren: “We are like really far into this whole thing, it’s just scary. I feel good about us, I just don’t know where you stand with others.” Well Lauren, let me tell you. He’s not to hip on Caila so you don’t have to worry about her. She’s a non-factor. Yeah, Ben might’ve spent the night with her and woke up in the morning to serve her breakfast, but that was just him being nice. He would’ve sprinted out of there if they would’ve let him. Don’t worry. He ain’t about that. Lauren: “You are legitimately the man of my dreams.” All while they’re showing this, they’re doing cutaways of her ITM’s to where she’s scared to tell him she loves him. Yet, for a month we’ve known he told two girls this episode he loves them, soooooo, shut up Lauren. We know it’s coming from you. Especially since we saw it on the commercial all episode. It’s like the show tries to build suspense even for the unspoiled people, but then spoil it themselves.

-Time for that magical moment. “Ben and Lauren, welcome to the island of Jamaica. Hope you’re enjoying your stay.” Should you choose to forgo your individual rooms, please use this key to stay as a couple in the fantasy suite. And if you say yes Ben, you will forever get first class upgrades, free peanuts, and have the ability to become a member of the Mile High Club.” Once they’re back in the room, things get really steamy. Lauren: “I need to let my walls down and open up to Ben.” Let walls down = open my legs. Lauren: “I’m kind of afraid and just felt this way for a long time. I am completely in love with you…you’re the man of my dreams.” Ben’s response: “I’ve known I’m in love with you for a while as well.” Then the rest of the night and into the morning is basically the two of them constantly telling each other back in forth “I love you.” Because they’ve been together for about 5 weeks at this point, they’ve had three 1-on-1’s, he met her family, and they’ve had no phone calls, emails, texts, sexting, or any contact really outside of their dates. And they’re both goo goo ga ga in love with each other. Sure they aren’t. And hey, I’m not saying it to be a skeptic. Listen to former contestants from this show. People who experienced it. Leads like Jason, Ali, Ashley – they’ve all said it. You’re not in love with someone you barely know. You just think you are. But this should be nothing new to anyone.

-Do I think Ben is capable of having strong feels for two different women? Absolutely. Do I think he was really in love with both of them? Not a chance. I’m not sure what motivated Ben to tell Lauren that since we normally don’t see the lead ever say this. The only one I truly remember saying “I love you” to one of his final girls was when Brad told Emily that. Others have said the word “love” I believe, but to flat out come out and say “I love you” or “I love you too” after the contestant says it to the lead is highly unusual. If it has been done, we never see it because that basically gives the season away. So do I think Ben was forced to say it to both since he said it to one of them? I don’t know. I haven’t heard either way. But being honest, it was a pretty stupid thing to do. He’ll easily get out of it when this is all over and no one will care once they seem him happy and engaged to Lauren at the ATFR, but for the next two weeks will bored, hopeless romantic, housewives be screaming about it to their friends? Absolutely. The “Bachelor” wins, because that’s all they care about.

March 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Someone let me know what they thought of RS’s blog. Since the site is so jumpy I couldn’t even read it. But since the episode was pretty boilerplate and predictable, except for the two I Love You’s that wafted out of Smilin Pete’s pie hole, I’m sure that’s the centerpiece this week.

2. jessicat

March 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

The order of the dates went Caila, Jojo, then Lauren. I’m not sure why Steve forgot that and went on about how Ben told JoJo he loved her AFTER he told Lauren the same thing. He forgot that the date order is shown differently when they air it

3. lissylou

March 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I pretty much have a migraine after trying to read that. Why is it jumping around so much? Hurts my eyes!

4. mellie3

March 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

This killed my eyes, but I kept reading…I hope it gets resolved soon!

5. keke1381

March 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Jessicat you are incorrect. The order of the fantasy sweet dates was Caila, Lauren, and last was JoJo. Steve is correct. Funny that you tried to correct him though. Haha. Anyways, I think the Bachelorette will either be Jubuliee or Caila, as the show has already expressed that the next lead will be more diverse. I think it should be JoJo but unlikely since she ended up in the final two. Definitely do not think it should be Becca!!!

6. jessicat

March 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM

keke, you obviously didn’t understand my comment. They AIRED the dates in the order that you mentioned, but when they actually FILMED the overnights they went Caila, Jojo and then Lauren. That’s what I was referring to. So in reality, Ben said he loved Jojo first, and then told Lauren the same thing.

7. scarlett1

March 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Jessicat is correct. The dates were aired out of order from how they were filmed. The site is pratically un-readable between the snail- pace and jumping. Please get this fixed Steve. As is= waste of time!

8. thebethness

March 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM

But Jessicat, I just watched it and I saw the order! LOL, I kid, I kid. I did find it funny that at the beginning of Lauren’s date Ben was saying in his ITM how he just came off a great overnight with Caila. I wonder if that was recorded later, or if they know at the time that they will show them out of order.

9. kwilson1101

March 1, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I’d pay to see footage of Caila destroying that toy house she and Ben built on her hometown date. I’m guessing she’s not going to be hanging onto it now.

10. iampunka

March 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Should have picked JoJo. She has a certain something unique going on, and Lauren is just another average peroxide blonde. Plus, Ben is himself with her most, which is huge in a relationship.

11. kimmyfromdablock

March 1, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I really hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. I find her super annoying and just way too young. She doesn’t seem mature enough for marriage on any level (not that it matters). JoJo is the only worthwhile pick. Jubilee…..is too ghetto (and I mean that in the nicest, non-racist way).

12. thebethness

March 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Lauren reminds me of Carly Waddell, but way less annoying and insecure, obviously. Just the way she talks and articulates things, combined with her look. Jojo is awesome, but I think she would eat Ben alive if he didn’t have the upper hand of being The Bachelor. She seems “older”, not in years or looks but life/love/dating experience.

13. leeroyjenkins

March 1, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Actually, when Bevin told Andy Baldwin that she loved him, he said it back. Then he picked Tessa, go figure.

March 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM

@thebethness: I did notice that there were a lot of voiceovers that seemed to have been dubbed later. I know they do that, and you can kind of tell when they sound like they’re being read and strongly backup a narrative that they’re trying to push…. especially anything that might confuse viewers into thinking that Smilin Pete is torn about who he’s going to pick. I agree with RS that the “I Love You” thing with JoJo seemed kinda off. I saw a physical attraction, but not the emotional investment that he’s having, and the show is not hiding, with Lauren. In short, the JoJo I love you felt like, as RS noted, it was Producer driven or suggested. Maybe they ran a subliminal message into his bedroom at night. 🙂 Nice catch by jessicat that the scenes were out of order with JoJo’s date actually being before Lauren’s date (are these really dates? They seem more like scenes). Though the order muddies the waters, I have to imagine the Producers already knew that Smilin Pete was in love with Lauren (“show” love, of course, they’ve spent a total of 2 actual days together). So, even with JoJo going first, they still could have pushed the I Love You to happen knowing it was coming on Lauren’s date.

It’s kind of sick how we watch this show these days, but it’s also kind of fun. We can really start to pick out all the quick jump cuts with a voice over kind of squeezed in and say, hey, that seemed dubbed. Wait a minute. Or whoa, that sounded like it was being read off a script in a dull monotone & was maybe added later. Everyone is getting really good at seeing that stuff now.

15. justforfun

March 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM

I didn’t think it was possible for this site to get any worse, but it is now unreadable with the page jumping around. Fix your site RS!!!!

16. LynnS

March 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM

This site got so bad for me that I couldn’t read it anymore. The pages were constantly reloading and the ads were ridiculous. Scrolling down the page was near impossible.

About a year ago, I got an ad blocker (they’re free). Now there are no ads, and the pages never need to reload. It is fast the way a web page should be.

17. cjscjs711

March 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM

@LynnS Same here, with the ad blocker. No problems ever since, including today. None whatsoever.

I think Joelle would have been a better mate for him than Lauren, but what does it matter what we think. Lauren does seem like the typical generic blonde with a very flat near-emotionless delivery of her words, but Ben must see a lot more in her than we do.

I’m fine with Caila as Bachelorette. Our bunch has gotten a little jaded over time on this series, but I was watching with the gals at the gym, and they just couldn’t stop their tears from flowing all over the place during the Caila rejection.

18. sleeprgirl

March 1, 2016 at 10:19 PM

I am a steady fan of The Bachelor, but I wish it was a bit more seamless in the scripted arena. Not sure why that is with such a large staff/crew. I know it isn’t 48 hours or 60 minutes, but not all the viewers are bored, dumb blonde housewives.

The rose ceremony was so uncomfortable to watch. Since they were trying to mix it up this season, why not just go to Jojo and Lauren’s rooms individually and ask them to “accept this rose”. Putting them together at that point…was pointless. The entire 2 hours was weird.

I predicted on twitter 4-5weeks ago that both Jojo and Lauren would go to the end. Logical. Gilligan’s island. Lauren is Mary Ann and Jojo is Ginger.

Caila is pretty but so insecure (runs her hands thru her hair every 2 seconds) and can not express herself verbally. Her one on one w/Ben proved in my eyes. She made NO sense at all. How could she carry an entire show? That would be very difficult for the producers to pull off. Jojo is gorgeous, already successful and confident. As a previous comment said, mature for her age. She can handle the entirety of a huge show. She and her family has dealt with reality TV and be able to handle 28 men. Caila has already professed that she has a rigid shell in her few words.

Jubilee is beautiful, but she makes Lace and Olivia look emotionally sound. I understand the need for diversity, but there should be tons of women out there that could take on the role of The Bachelorette.

The executives of the show have got to do better than some of this amateur-ish work, as viewers will begin to loose interest. I do love the post bachelor show. It was fun, and gave us insight to the weeks show and to the girls themself. It would be interesting to have someone like Emily to come on the after show each week and give a short editorial of her perspective as they have done with a first season wife from Married at First Sight. Change things up a bit.

I do love seeing beautiful clothing, great hair and makeup, romantic hotspots. They have that going for them. They just need to step up their night time slot instead of it seeming like a bad daytime soap opera.

19. duckquack

March 2, 2016 at 2:29 AM

Steve you will be bored reading her book, it’s all about finding God….sure Jef and Brad are mentioned but it’s an old story and nothing you have not read already…
    plain and simple her book sucks big time.

20. product19

March 2, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Is it just me or is Donald Trump running for president with the same motivation as people appearing on this show? “Are you here for the right reasons” Trump?

March 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM

I agree with the point that Caila is not looking good for The Bachelorette. Unless the show is embracing painful silences as a new and exciting entertainment tool, I don’t see how she can pull it off.

I also have to agree that JoJo is really the only viable candidate on the current show. Although there are certainly some logistical challenges in making it happen, the show could overcome those challenges if they want. I would think that having a good lead is more important than the schedule convenience of using an F3 or F4 contestant.

22. elevenly

March 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Anyone else notice that while Caila was making crying/weeping sounds, sniffling, wrenching her face in pain…her eyes stayed completely dry?
    I don’t think I saw one actual tear.
    I’m not saying she needs to cry…but it felt very theatrical.

23. kdtx

March 2, 2016 at 12:01 PM

When Caila got out of the car to talk more with Ben after she was dumped, she was actually asking “Did you know how you felt about me BEFORE we slept together?” She was making sure he wasn’t being a jerk by waiting until after she’d slept with him to break up with her.

24. sayywhat

March 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I’m pretty sure the order of the fantasy suites was Caila, Jojo, and then Lauren. Ashley I wrote in her cosmo recap this week: “The last date of the week is with JoJo, but for the sake of accuracy (I know, it’s reality TV but I’m a truth-bringer), JoJo’s date came in the middle of this week’s outings IRL, and this episode’s edit pieced things together out of sequence.” If the storyline that Ben loved two women was planned out early on, as RS speculates, then it wouldn’t really matter that he (obviously) loves Lauren more – he could’ve told Jojo first.

25. hurricaneemily

March 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Hey, Steve.

Great recap as always.

You can check out my recap for episode 9 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-9-recap/