The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 9 Recap Incl Blogs, Ratings, & Emily Maynard’s Book

Photo Credit: ABC

-It’s now time for JoJo’s date and Ben has a proclamation to make. After telling Lauren he loved her, “If I don’t know by the end of the day if I love JoJo, then I’ll have to let her go.” To me, that’s total nonsense and now what makes me think he forced himself to say “I love you” to two women. Because we all know that Ben couldn’t have just ended the show right there if he didn’t love her. He was basically saying, “Hey, I told Lauren I loved her and I didn’t to Caila. If I don’t tell Jojo, then the show is over since I only told one of them and it’s obvious who I’ll choose.” That’s where the TV side of things kind of takes over in my mind. Did producers force Ben to tell two women he loved them? I don’t think so. But Ben sits down and talks to producers every single day he’s filming. He’s closer to them than he is the women, just on a different level. So of course I’m sure it came up during conversation that he was having strong feelings for both of them, and I’m sure one of them just said, “Well, why don’t you tell them both?” It’s not inconceivable to think that’s how the conversation went down. Regardless, it still wasn’t a smart thing to do, but keeping in mind this is all about eyeballs to TV sets, the fact that everyone at the water cooler today is talking about “OMG, did you see Ben told TWO women he was in love with them” tells you all you need to know. And next season, it’ll be something else going into the finale. And the season after that, something else. And after that, something else. That’s how television is made. Same formula every season, but at the end, they just need to throw doubt in the viewers mind as to what can happen.

-Jojo arrives wearing Lauren’s cut off jean shorts and guess what? They’re headed into another helicopter just like their Vegas date. Except this time, no bad weather and no fireworks show. Nope, they will be taken to the YS falls where Ben can pitch a tent all day rubbed up against JoJo’s bikini as they make out in the water. They jump off the cliffs into the waterfall and basically just make out and grope each other for hours on end. Well, it seemed like hours. Maybe it was only minutes. But considering Ben was back to wearing his nut hugger bathing suit again, it probably wasn’t the smartest idea. He tried to stay pressed to JoJo as long as he could, buuuuuuuuuuut, yeah. It was obvious that Woody was definitely Ben’s favorite character from “Toy Story.” I think this was the moment in the episode that Jojo’s ex Chad was probably sitting at home and chucking his dinner at the TV. Considering he magically had a vase of roses waiting for her at her house on the hometown, do you think he tried feverishly to book a flight to Jamaica to try and interrupt this date? Wouldn’t surprise me. For all we know, he was hiding out in the bushes.

-It’s time for JoJo, and Ben for that matter, to drop the bomb. JoJo: “When I think about the future, there’s not a doubt in my mind, I’d want to spend it with you…I do love you. It’s weird to say that, and really hard, but I do.” Ben: “JoJo, I love you too.” JoJo: “What? Are you even allowed to say that?” Pretty much what a lot of people were asking. Technically no, but since they needed a different storyline for the finale this season, sure, lets go with that one. I think that Ben absolutely likes JoJo a lot, cares for her, developed a close relationship with her, and was truly heartbroken having to break up with her in the end. But how is that different than any other season? Breakups are never fun. They suck. Big time. No one ever wants to be broken up with and the person doing the breaking up usually isn’t too thrilled to do it. There really isn’t anything fun about doing it, we all dread it, but sometimes it’s necessary. Like on this show since the whole point is to end up proposing to one person out of 28 women they hand selected for you, months before they even knew you were going to be the “Bachelor.” Ben obviously made a mistake by telling two women he loved them. Just dumb. But I can’t dwell on it just because I know this is TV, and I frankly have a hard time believing a lot of what they sell us is real.

-At dinner, the two of them discuss the events from earlier in the day. JoJo: “I was shocked you told me that. It meant more to me than you’ll ever know.” Basically Ben is probably sitting there with a pit in his stomach realizing he royally screwed up. Even if he really was feeling that for both women, it was stupid to tell them. Absolutely zero good can come out of it. Ben: “I’m in love with JoJo, but I want support from her family.” Well good luck getting that buddy since I believe that JoJo’s brothers probably have a 10,000 question psych test for anyone to fill out who wants to date JoJo. Then you are probably run through a series of tests to see if you meet their standards, which are already set ridiculously high. How Chad made it through I have no idea. Amazing how much they turned on the “overprotective brothers” role for the hometown date, but where exactly were they then JoJo was in a self-admitted relationship with Chad where he was basically cheating on her? I guess since that relationship was off air, they didn’t have nearly as much concern. Shocking. Doesn’t sound like that was the most healthy relationship in the world for JoJo, yet when she mentioned at dinner last week that Chad dropped off flowers, I didn’t hear them say peep. How convenient. Ben, lets face it, even though you already knew it was Lauren earlier in the season, the second you had that awful experience with the brothers is when you truly knew this was game, set, and match didn’t you? Hell, I would’ve.

-Ben explains to JoJo what happened with her brothers and she just tells him they’re being protective, they mean well, he’d totally fit into the family, and mom wants him over so they can chug champagne from the bottle together. But now, it’s time to get down to business. “Ben and JoJo. Welcome to the island of Jamaica. Hope you’re enjoying your stay. Should you choose to forgo your individual rooms, please use this key to stay as a couple in the fantasy suite. Ben, if you do this, and any clothing of JoJo’s is removed, her brothers will murder you. Proceed with caution.” Of course they go back to the fantasy suite, and JoJo gives us more time in her bikini, which I’m sure not only made the male audience happy, but Ben as well. Now, kind of disappointed we didn’t get her in the silky robe the following morning (just sweats and a tank top), but we got our fill of sexy JoJo this episode so I won’t whine too much. Hey, she even got fed fruit in the morning by Ben as they made out all while producers were prepping Caila for her inevitable dumping. Of course, the commercial right before that made you think that Caila walked in on Ben and JoJo. Pssshhh. Yeah right. I hope you guys are seeing right through this stuff while it’s airing too. Like they’d ever have someone walk in on someone else’s overnight date.

-So after his night of passion with JoJo is over, and Ben takes his backpack and leaves (exactly what was that thing filled with? Sex toys?), we get Contemplative Ben sitting at his hotel thinking and filming ITM’s talking about how he told two women that he loved them. He said he knew he felt that way about two women, but that he didn’t feel that way about Caila, so he had to send her home. And you’ll never believe this, but it just so happened that Caila decided that day she wanted to come over and see Ben. Gee, I wonder if that was completely spontaneous? Please. That might’ve been the most scripted scene in recent memory on this show. Caila wandering around Ben’s hotel room with that giant fake grin on her face pretending like she doesn’t know where he is, Ben sitting outside on a lawn chair staring into space, even though a camera is shooting him the whole time, then Caila magically coming up from behind and Ben pretending not to have a clue she was approaching. All very organic and natural. Came off flawlessly, no?

-Of course, Caila’s convinced they have the greatest love story since Jack and Rose and they’ll be telling their grandkids about it some day. Ummmmm, not so much. Ben tells her he just doesn’t feel it with her, he’s in love with two other women, and that her being voted “Most Likely to Host a TV Show” by her peers in her senior yearbook is bothering him. Maybe they should’ve voted her “Most Likely to be the Bachelorette,” since that seems much more probable at this point. Caila is pretty speechless once he delivers the 100mph fastball she can’t catch up to. She just wants to leave. Once in the car, she realizes, “Wait a second. If I want to be the ‘Bachelorette,’ I need to make this exit MUCH more dramatic. I’m not done with him.” So she gets out of the car, asks to talk to him again, and basically asks, “Did you know this week?” Uhhhhh, yeah. That’s why he dumped you this week. What kind of question is that? I guess that answer satisfied her since she didn’t really put up that much of a fight. If he eliminates her at the rose ceremony, she probably asks, “Why didn’t you do it sooner if you knew,” and then he DOES do it before the rose ceremony, and she’s asking “Did you know this week?” You really can’t win if you’re the lead. There’s a format that the show follows every single season. No contestant should be surprised by anything, yet amazingly, they all are.
Your fault.

-Wasn’t much of a rose ceremony since Caila was gonzo. He gave a rose to both girls, they both said yes, then they had an awkward menage a trois hug. Can’t remember the last time that happened at the final 3 rose ceremony, but Ben is an odd bird. He thinks it’s rather amusing he told two girls he loves them, so why not hug them both at the same time? Hey, what’s wrong with that? Perfectly legal, right? Sure, Ben. Whatever you want to do is fine by us. How about in two weeks, you propose to both of them as well, but then say “Just kidding” to JoJo? That might go over just as well. So now for the next 13 days, everyone can scream and moan about why did Ben do that, how can he do that, how do you propose to someone when you’ve already admitted to loving someone else too, blah blah blah. All the while I’ll be sitting back here celebrating an almost perfect spoiler season, and gathering information for the “Bachelorette” in hopes to have another successful season of spoilers and information. I’ve always said that spoiling before the season and while it is filming is the most fun part of my job. I love it. I’m putting together guy’s profiles for the “Bachelorette” as we speak, along with trying to shore up some locations where they’ll be. I will let you know in due time. Until next week…

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

March 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Someone let me know what they thought of RS’s blog. Since the site is so jumpy I couldn’t even read it. But since the episode was pretty boilerplate and predictable, except for the two I Love You’s that wafted out of Smilin Pete’s pie hole, I’m sure that’s the centerpiece this week.

2. jessicat

March 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

The order of the dates went Caila, Jojo, then Lauren. I’m not sure why Steve forgot that and went on about how Ben told JoJo he loved her AFTER he told Lauren the same thing. He forgot that the date order is shown differently when they air it

3. lissylou

March 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I pretty much have a migraine after trying to read that. Why is it jumping around so much? Hurts my eyes!

4. mellie3

March 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

This killed my eyes, but I kept reading…I hope it gets resolved soon!

5. keke1381

March 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Jessicat you are incorrect. The order of the fantasy sweet dates was Caila, Lauren, and last was JoJo. Steve is correct. Funny that you tried to correct him though. Haha. Anyways, I think the Bachelorette will either be Jubuliee or Caila, as the show has already expressed that the next lead will be more diverse. I think it should be JoJo but unlikely since she ended up in the final two. Definitely do not think it should be Becca!!!

6. jessicat

March 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM

keke, you obviously didn’t understand my comment. They AIRED the dates in the order that you mentioned, but when they actually FILMED the overnights they went Caila, Jojo and then Lauren. That’s what I was referring to. So in reality, Ben said he loved Jojo first, and then told Lauren the same thing.

7. scarlett1

March 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Jessicat is correct. The dates were aired out of order from how they were filmed. The site is pratically un-readable between the snail- pace and jumping. Please get this fixed Steve. As is= waste of time!

8. thebethness

March 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM

But Jessicat, I just watched it and I saw the order! LOL, I kid, I kid. I did find it funny that at the beginning of Lauren’s date Ben was saying in his ITM how he just came off a great overnight with Caila. I wonder if that was recorded later, or if they know at the time that they will show them out of order.

9. kwilson1101

March 1, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I’d pay to see footage of Caila destroying that toy house she and Ben built on her hometown date. I’m guessing she’s not going to be hanging onto it now.

10. iampunka

March 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Should have picked JoJo. She has a certain something unique going on, and Lauren is just another average peroxide blonde. Plus, Ben is himself with her most, which is huge in a relationship.

11. kimmyfromdablock

March 1, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I really hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. I find her super annoying and just way too young. She doesn’t seem mature enough for marriage on any level (not that it matters). JoJo is the only worthwhile pick. Jubilee…..is too ghetto (and I mean that in the nicest, non-racist way).

12. thebethness

March 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Lauren reminds me of Carly Waddell, but way less annoying and insecure, obviously. Just the way she talks and articulates things, combined with her look. Jojo is awesome, but I think she would eat Ben alive if he didn’t have the upper hand of being The Bachelor. She seems “older”, not in years or looks but life/love/dating experience.

13. leeroyjenkins

March 1, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Actually, when Bevin told Andy Baldwin that she loved him, he said it back. Then he picked Tessa, go figure.

March 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM

@thebethness: I did notice that there were a lot of voiceovers that seemed to have been dubbed later. I know they do that, and you can kind of tell when they sound like they’re being read and strongly backup a narrative that they’re trying to push…. especially anything that might confuse viewers into thinking that Smilin Pete is torn about who he’s going to pick. I agree with RS that the “I Love You” thing with JoJo seemed kinda off. I saw a physical attraction, but not the emotional investment that he’s having, and the show is not hiding, with Lauren. In short, the JoJo I love you felt like, as RS noted, it was Producer driven or suggested. Maybe they ran a subliminal message into his bedroom at night. 🙂 Nice catch by jessicat that the scenes were out of order with JoJo’s date actually being before Lauren’s date (are these really dates? They seem more like scenes). Though the order muddies the waters, I have to imagine the Producers already knew that Smilin Pete was in love with Lauren (“show” love, of course, they’ve spent a total of 2 actual days together). So, even with JoJo going first, they still could have pushed the I Love You to happen knowing it was coming on Lauren’s date.

It’s kind of sick how we watch this show these days, but it’s also kind of fun. We can really start to pick out all the quick jump cuts with a voice over kind of squeezed in and say, hey, that seemed dubbed. Wait a minute. Or whoa, that sounded like it was being read off a script in a dull monotone & was maybe added later. Everyone is getting really good at seeing that stuff now.

15. justforfun

March 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM

I didn’t think it was possible for this site to get any worse, but it is now unreadable with the page jumping around. Fix your site RS!!!!

16. LynnS

March 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM

This site got so bad for me that I couldn’t read it anymore. The pages were constantly reloading and the ads were ridiculous. Scrolling down the page was near impossible.

About a year ago, I got an ad blocker (they’re free). Now there are no ads, and the pages never need to reload. It is fast the way a web page should be.

17. cjscjs711

March 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM

@LynnS Same here, with the ad blocker. No problems ever since, including today. None whatsoever.

I think Joelle would have been a better mate for him than Lauren, but what does it matter what we think. Lauren does seem like the typical generic blonde with a very flat near-emotionless delivery of her words, but Ben must see a lot more in her than we do.

I’m fine with Caila as Bachelorette. Our bunch has gotten a little jaded over time on this series, but I was watching with the gals at the gym, and they just couldn’t stop their tears from flowing all over the place during the Caila rejection.

18. sleeprgirl

March 1, 2016 at 10:19 PM

I am a steady fan of The Bachelor, but I wish it was a bit more seamless in the scripted arena. Not sure why that is with such a large staff/crew. I know it isn’t 48 hours or 60 minutes, but not all the viewers are bored, dumb blonde housewives.

The rose ceremony was so uncomfortable to watch. Since they were trying to mix it up this season, why not just go to Jojo and Lauren’s rooms individually and ask them to “accept this rose”. Putting them together at that point…was pointless. The entire 2 hours was weird.

I predicted on twitter 4-5weeks ago that both Jojo and Lauren would go to the end. Logical. Gilligan’s island. Lauren is Mary Ann and Jojo is Ginger.

Caila is pretty but so insecure (runs her hands thru her hair every 2 seconds) and can not express herself verbally. Her one on one w/Ben proved in my eyes. She made NO sense at all. How could she carry an entire show? That would be very difficult for the producers to pull off. Jojo is gorgeous, already successful and confident. As a previous comment said, mature for her age. She can handle the entirety of a huge show. She and her family has dealt with reality TV and be able to handle 28 men. Caila has already professed that she has a rigid shell in her few words.

Jubilee is beautiful, but she makes Lace and Olivia look emotionally sound. I understand the need for diversity, but there should be tons of women out there that could take on the role of The Bachelorette.

The executives of the show have got to do better than some of this amateur-ish work, as viewers will begin to loose interest. I do love the post bachelor show. It was fun, and gave us insight to the weeks show and to the girls themself. It would be interesting to have someone like Emily to come on the after show each week and give a short editorial of her perspective as they have done with a first season wife from Married at First Sight. Change things up a bit.

I do love seeing beautiful clothing, great hair and makeup, romantic hotspots. They have that going for them. They just need to step up their night time slot instead of it seeming like a bad daytime soap opera.

19. duckquack

March 2, 2016 at 2:29 AM

Steve you will be bored reading her book, it’s all about finding God….sure Jef and Brad are mentioned but it’s an old story and nothing you have not read already…
    plain and simple her book sucks big time.

20. product19

March 2, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Is it just me or is Donald Trump running for president with the same motivation as people appearing on this show? “Are you here for the right reasons” Trump?

March 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM

I agree with the point that Caila is not looking good for The Bachelorette. Unless the show is embracing painful silences as a new and exciting entertainment tool, I don’t see how she can pull it off.

I also have to agree that JoJo is really the only viable candidate on the current show. Although there are certainly some logistical challenges in making it happen, the show could overcome those challenges if they want. I would think that having a good lead is more important than the schedule convenience of using an F3 or F4 contestant.

22. elevenly

March 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Anyone else notice that while Caila was making crying/weeping sounds, sniffling, wrenching her face in pain…her eyes stayed completely dry?
    I don’t think I saw one actual tear.
    I’m not saying she needs to cry…but it felt very theatrical.

23. kdtx

March 2, 2016 at 12:01 PM

When Caila got out of the car to talk more with Ben after she was dumped, she was actually asking “Did you know how you felt about me BEFORE we slept together?” She was making sure he wasn’t being a jerk by waiting until after she’d slept with him to break up with her.

24. sayywhat

March 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I’m pretty sure the order of the fantasy suites was Caila, Jojo, and then Lauren. Ashley I wrote in her cosmo recap this week: “The last date of the week is with JoJo, but for the sake of accuracy (I know, it’s reality TV but I’m a truth-bringer), JoJo’s date came in the middle of this week’s outings IRL, and this episode’s edit pieced things together out of sequence.” If the storyline that Ben loved two women was planned out early on, as RS speculates, then it wouldn’t really matter that he (obviously) loves Lauren more – he could’ve told Jojo first.

25. hurricaneemily

March 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Hey, Steve.

Great recap as always.

You can check out my recap for episode 9 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-9-recap/