The Bachelorette 12 - JoJo

The “Bachelorette” Episode 3 Recap Incl “Bachelor in Paradise” Casting Update, & Chad’s Match.com Profile

Photo Credit: Glamour

-It’s time for James Taylor’s 1-on-1 date and if I were him, I’d sue the show for lack of screen time after spending an hour on Chad vs Evan. This whole nonsense with the security guard was strictly for TV purposes. Chad is not going to physically beat someone up on national television. That would get you arrested and although I think he’s as sharp as a beach ball, I think he would know not to actually assault someone while on set. But hey, they need to play up the storyline that he could physically hurt someone so they have a security guard following him around the next day. What’s so stupid is if they really thought Chad was that much of a physical threat to anyone in the house, they’d just remove him from the show. But that doesn’t make good television. So the threat of him possibly beating someone’s face in is what they went for.

-Oh yeah. James. 1-on-1 date. Forgot about him, as did most of the show. They go meet with a swing dance coach named Jean, who I could’ve sworn got rescued by one of the boats on the Titanic. I could be wrong though. Anyway, she teaches James and JoJo how to swing dance along with another couple that probably laughed at them the whole time. Tough to teach a guy to swing dance that has two left feet. So they go to the streets of Culver City, which was literally walking distance from the last apartment I lived in LA, and they dance around with a bunch of professional strangers swing dancing. Well, JoJo and James tried to swing dance, but were fairly unsuccessful. They just kinda bopped around, he tried to pick her up a la Johnny and Baby, and it just wasn’t quite the same. A for effort. F for execution. Although, is this date really something any of us care about? Lets be real, get us back to the mansion so we can see if Chad has ripped out of his clothes and turned green yet.

-Back at the mansion, Chad and Daniel are having a heart-to-heart talk about, ummmm, Daniel being disliked because of guilt by association. Basically, guys aren’t liking Daniel because he hangs out with Chad. Daniel: “Lets pretend you’re Hitler.” Chad: “Lets not…” Daniel: “Ok, well, you need to be more Mussolini than Hitler…if I hang out with you, it brings me down.” Hey, I have an idea. Then maybe you shouldn’t hang out with the guy. Other than doing seated flys and upright rows together, and probably sharing needles, exactly what does this guy bring to a friendship? Cut your losses Daniel and quit hanging out with this meathead. Total waste.

-Back to James and JoJo’s date, they are now sitting on a car up in the hills of LA overlooking the city. Now, if my calculations are correct, that spot is possibly one of two very famous television/movie scenes. It’s either A) where Kenicke and Rizzo went to go do it in the car or B) where Tara took Kelly on her suicide mission in BH 90210 to kill them both. Or it could be neither and my mind is just racing. Whatever the case, it certainly looks to be a place where a man would take a woman and try to get frisky in the back seat of the car. Not whip out his guitar for the 100th time this season and try to woo her with your original song. I get that James is the underdog here and this is the storyline he has to play up, but the Gomer Pyle, golly gee shucks routine is getting a little old for me already, and we’re only on episode 3. Lets try something new and fresh. A man can hope, right?

-James tells JoJo tales of when he was a kid and he was made fun of for his big ears and long neck. Look, I’m not saying that James wasn’t bullied as a kid because I have no idea other than what he’s told us, but doesn’t it seem to you that anyone who’s looking for sympathy on social media nowadays, especially celebrities, all pull out the “I was bullied as a kid” card. Before this anti-bullying campaign became a thing, I could probably count on one hand how many people brought it up. Now, it seems like everyone has a bullying story from when they were 5. I guess it’s pretty convenient because you’re a celebrity and people will believe you, even though it’s totally impossible to prove. I don’t know. I’m just kind of over it. We know it happens a lot nowadays and it sucks, and I’m sure it did happen to people growing up, but it seems like it’s being used as a crutch now to push some sort of agenda. I don’t know. Just my two cents on it. Bullying sucks, and if I ever found out that my niece or nephew was consistently being made fun of in school, I’d feel awful for them. I just think with how popular anti-bullying has become now, soooooo many people are now telling us how they were bullied as a kid, and sometimes I question their credibility and wonder if they’re using it to gain sympathy. Oh yeah, James got the rose. That’s like the 400th rose JoJo has given this season to the guy that she feels sorry for (Wells, Evan, James, and 397 others).

June 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM

RS said there was no video of Chad hitting the wall with his fist. I could have sworn it was in there as they were walking off the stage. He raged out and hit a wall back stage as they were walking into a room. Am I right on this?

I do think the match.com profile says it all. He doesn’t believe in college, because he knows how to make himself smarter. He believes in his own form of God because everyone (but him) has God figured out all wrong. He wants to have lots of his own businesses, because probably he doesn’t want to work for ignorant fools that have actually already created successful businesses.

Of course, from a prior RS column, it seems that as a “Luxury Real Estate Consultant/Agent”, he has no actual home listings at this time. Ummmm Chad, you have to actually have listings and sell them to make money. Doing pull ups with weights tied to your feet & eating dozens of meat plates isn’t going to get you listings.

It’s definitely narcissistic to say the least. And likely compensating for insecurities about not being able to cut it in college, business or the world in general. And the kicker, of course, is that this guy who hasn’t been in a relationship for four years consults himself and decides that going on the Bachelorette is the key to his next relationship. Doh! At least he can take solace in the fact that there are girls out there who write to Charles Manson. So, he’s still got a shot.

He’s very immature in thinking that he’s going to make all this money by creating all of these businesses based on stuff he knows. Basically, make lots of money and spending a minimal amount of time. Ummmmm… I don’t know what books he reads, but that’s not exactly a business model that comes out of any real book. That’s something that Chad made up on his own too. I’ve met lots of, let’s call them less than intelligent, successful business owners. But those guys were successful because they learned how to do something really well & worked really hard for a decade or two to become successful. Who’s been successful spending a minimal amount of time on stuff they make up where they don’t have to work hard? Nobody ever. Chad’s life is headed straight into the toilet. He might be the perfect profile for a mass shooter. He’ll end up blaming everyone else for his failed life. Which is ironic since he never listens to anyone but himself. Self mentoring is not really a thing Chad.

2. lucyw4

June 7, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I find it hilarious that his own dog couldn’t stand to be around him!

3. qwerty

June 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

I feel like Chad’s pathological anger issues and violent nature are supposed to be entertaining for viewers, but I actually find it deeply disturbing to watch him being set up in romantic situations (with a woman, or in BIP’s case women, who might not have access to a full picture of him). I would not feel safe being in a relationship (or even, being alone in the same room) with someone who’s that quick to violence. Watch out, BIP ladies.

4. farmgirl

June 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Hey Steve..Honorably Discharged is what most Marines get. All it means is that he did his four years and got out without getting in trouble. That being said, as a female AND former Marine, I think Chad is gross and horrible representative of the Marine Corps. Also a horrible representative for men in general. That is one of the worst profiles I’ve ever read.

5. cjscjs711

June 7, 2016 at 11:02 AM

@Rob22 yes, I saw that Chad did punch the door.

I think Reality Steve’s comments above are a testament to what a good job producers are doing of creating characters intended to get under the skin of viewers. Steve is a very very jaded, long-time viewer of this series and still, producers have managed to evoke some very strong, almost visceral responses from Steve! As we know, the characters we see are a combination of producers and casting directors being able to discern the personality mix that will make good TV. And to successfully play up those traits at the right times to make good TV. They enable and instigate.

There is a lot of button-pushing going on. How– organic is it?

Personally, Chad, including the character that has been brought forth on TV, doesn’t bother me that much. I work with entertainers and while not always typical, I’ve seen much more extreme types than this. Typical, though, is that when the camera loves someone and they are getting work, his or her competitors often become envious, snide, and catty.

I think the ‘bromance’ between Chad and Daniel was a lot more believable than the bromance last season between JJ and Clint. The latter seemed so obviously staged, and they tried too hard.

What was more painful to me was watching James Taylor, and his constant showcasing his talent with his singing and guitar. He reminded me of Bradley “the Opera Singer” who was constantly singing in what looked like a blatant attempt to promote his voice on TV. In contrast to appropriately modest Sharleen, who was also an opera singer.

June 7, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Producer manipulation is obviously always a factor. But with Chad, based on the match.com profile, dude is not playing a role. That’s who he is. All the producers needed to do is roll the video and play it back. Granted, they introduced conflict to Chad because they knew he couldn’t deal with it. Just light the match, step back and watch the fireworks. I could have missed it, but I didn’t see a lot of franken-bytes for Chad. They just weren’t necessary.

I think with Daniel and Chad, you have two guys who like to workout a lot. Guys like that might be in the gym 3-4 hours a day doing their thing. Few guys work out that hard doing the workout that they do. It’s extreme. So, finding a workout partner on the same type of schedule is the main connection. It really didn’t take Daniel that long to realize that Chad was a douche. But Daniel didn’t care until the house started lumping him in with Chad. Guilt by association. Guys aren’t that picky about workout partners, though. I worked out with a meathead that I thought was a douche for several months. Dude was a great workout partner though. Worked out hard, pushed me and was actually very encouraging. When he talked about anything else, however, it was like you were talking to an animal. Eventually I just got sick of him and bailed.

7. canon

June 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I’m no Chad fan as I’ve met plenty like him, but I will say this. If you look at each confrontation, Chad never starts it. Someone needles him and he doesn’t respond well, but it always starts with someone making a diss comment. Sure, his ITM’s are beyond egocentric, but face to face, he’s right that he’s not starting it. Granted, he should just say “Whatever dude” rather than getting riled up, but if the others weren’t dogging him first, these things probably wouldn’t be happening. Lots of creative editing I’m seeing here and I’m sure producers are getting others to verbally poke him knowing it will set him off and give good tv. And yeah, no doubt the security guard is just to up the drama factor. All that said, I’ve never seen you be so into bashing a character before! Calm down Steve.. LOL

8. karynr

June 7, 2016 at 2:39 PM

I haven’t watched last night’s episode yet, but after reading RS, as well as Chad’s Match.com profile, I can understand why his dog didn’t come home.

9. crushonspivey

June 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM

canon, I agree with you. Chad never starts any of it. And I can just imagine some producer goading some of the more insecure and whiny guys into starting stuff with Chad. And let’s be honest–the guys that start stuff with Chad are the whiny dudes on the show this year.

Always amazes me of the ones that get caught up in creating the house drama, and complaining about the other contestants, and yet those people NEVER get chosen in the end. Really, they never even make the final 3. They are just there to be used and abused by producers to create drama, and do they deliver. And they go home as losers, because they are.

I think Chad is hilarious. Yeah, the guy has issues, but so do pretty much other other guy on the show. They all look damaged. That is the problem with this show now. They beat up all the contestants so much, it is hard to want to root for any of them. This year, I am literally rooting for JoJo to pick no one. I want her t o be the Bachettte that dumps them all, then calls them loser at the After ceremony.

I just like that Chad calls them all out for their own crap. Deservedly so. Bunch of whiny, wimpy “JoJo song” singing pansies this year.

10. kimmyfromdablock

June 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM

All of us know how much producer manipulation is involved on this show. It’s clear that Chad is narcissistic, but you also have to wonder how much is exaggerated by producer input and editing.

However…..then we see the Match profile. What an incredible moron. Any woman with an ounce of self-respect would not give him the time of day. The things he writes about himself are jaw dropping ridiculous. Aside from that, he sounds very uneducated.

It’s too bad a guy with conventional good looks is not so attractive on the inside. When he told Jordan he was some washed up football wannabe — that was no producer manipulation. The guy is mean-spirited and ugly. In my book, that qualifies as an epic fail in life.

11. kmannone723

June 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM

I’m definitely worried that Chad abuses women. I kinda pick up on that vibe. Definitely worried that any girl that goes for him either on BIP or his match.com profile will regret going for him

12. tamara

June 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Best Bachelor/Bachelorette line ever, thanks to Evan:

“Love is worth being shoved in the face for!”

I think Evan is handsome and sweet, and a good catch.

Better than Jordan, who seems fake and full of himself.

13. lucyw4

June 7, 2016 at 10:31 PM

I think Evan is sweet, but not handsome, or a good catch because of his 3 kids.
    Robby looks like a mannequin with hair that doesn’t move.
    Alex is good-looking, but his height and preoccupation with Chad is a HUGE turn-off.

The only cute one to me, is Wells. I love his smile, but his small physique would be a problem.

June 8, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Yeah, definitely the ones that get the most hooked into the house drama never seem to end up in the F4. However, we only see what they let us see. So, if the goal is to make the F4 look good, maybe their whining isn’t shown?