The Bachelorette 12 - JoJo

The “Bachelorette” Episode 3 Recap Incl “Bachelor in Paradise” Casting Update, & Chad’s Match.com Profile

Photo Credit: Glamour

-Chris Harrison comes in on the day of the rose ceremony and informs the guys of some bad news. There will be no cocktail party that night. However, there will be a pool party during the day so they can get more footage of Chad being a complete dbag and tease in preview that maybe he punched Evan in the face, when in reality as it was spoiled on this site in the episode-by-episode spoilers, Evan gets a bloody nose from diving in the pool tonight, not Chad using his face as a speed bag as they’d like you to believe. That was quite the run-on sentence if I do say so myself. I’m pretty proud of that one. Lets see if I can top it at some point in tomorrow’s column. Goals, I tell ya’. Strive to be the best.

-Once Chris Harrison leaves, Evan chases him out the door to let him know about Chad. Tells him how he ripped his shirt on the group date, he punched the door, guys are scared of him, etc. I love how Chris Harrison plays so dumb in this part. It’s comical for two reasons: 1) Chris Harrison has a producer title on the show. Of course he knew by then what happened on the group date. He’s in talks with the other producers and watching on monitors all the time. 2) If he is gonna sit there and pretend he doesn’t know what happened, then it brings in the question “Why are you the host of this show? What’s your role if you have no clue what’s happening in the house?” So yeah, busted Chris. You don’t win in this situation.

-So Chris comes back in the house and says he needs to speak to Chad outside. Chad’s like, “Sure. Whatever you need pal. I’ll come right now. Anything I can help you with,” knowing full well his full-on douchebaggery this season is about to be called into question. And oh yeah, the roid rage. Chris tells him it’s been brought to his attention that there’s been threats of violence, roid rage, guys being scared of him, etc. Of course Chad immediately gets defensive saying, “Whoa whoa whoa, I couldn’t possibly have brought steroids into the mansion.” Ummmm, what? We saw a whole luggage of protein powders. Is it really that impossible to think that you could’ve maybe chucked some steroids in there with the rest of your crap? This guy is truly delusional. I hope he cycled correctly before heading down to Paradise.

-So Chad basically goes into his story of Evan trying to bully him, which Chris laughs off (“Evan tried to bully you?”), and makes excuses for all of his behavior up to this point. He feels he’s done absolutely nothing wrong, has been a target of the guys ever since the beginning, and has nothing to apologize for. Chris re-emphasizes again that “so none of this is your fault” and Chad agrees. This is becoming comical at this point. But I guess this is what bullies do. They pretend like they haven’t bullied anyone and are just fine, everything’s great, and why are you bothering them. Chris isn’t buying any of it and tells Chad basically he needs to think of some way to apologize for what he’s said. I’m sure telling a bully he needs to apologize is something he totally wants to hear. So the episode ends with Chad coming back into the house to, I assume, not apologize to anyone for anything he’s done. And that’s where we’ll pick up tonight.

-So tonight we’ll get the rest of the pool party, the rose ceremony where Ali, Christian, and Nick B. go home, and then head to PA. We’ll have Luke’s 1-on-1, the football group date where James gets bloodied up, and then the Chad/Alex 2-on-1 that sends Chad home, but not before they let him come back to the resort to confront the guys for being happy he’s gone. And threatens Jordan. Since there’s no episode this week, I gotta imagine tonight’s episode will end with the rose ceremony in PA. I can’t imagine they’re gonna do another to be continued, and we won’t see the finality of what happens in PA until June 20th. I gotta think we’ll see the episode end tonight with a rose ceremony, so when it resumes on June 20th, the whole episode will be what happens in Uruguay.

-There will be a Tuesday column next week even though there’s no show next Monday due to the NBA Finals. Which is funny because the way things are going now, Golden St. might sweep and there might not even be a game next Monday. Regardless of if Golden St. sweeps and there isn’t a Game 5, next week is still a repeat. They’re re-airing the “Bachelor at 20” special again I believe. New episodes resume the following Monday on June 20th. As for 4th of July, they haven’t said what’s happening that night either. We’ll see.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

June 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM

RS said there was no video of Chad hitting the wall with his fist. I could have sworn it was in there as they were walking off the stage. He raged out and hit a wall back stage as they were walking into a room. Am I right on this?

I do think the match.com profile says it all. He doesn’t believe in college, because he knows how to make himself smarter. He believes in his own form of God because everyone (but him) has God figured out all wrong. He wants to have lots of his own businesses, because probably he doesn’t want to work for ignorant fools that have actually already created successful businesses.

Of course, from a prior RS column, it seems that as a “Luxury Real Estate Consultant/Agent”, he has no actual home listings at this time. Ummmm Chad, you have to actually have listings and sell them to make money. Doing pull ups with weights tied to your feet & eating dozens of meat plates isn’t going to get you listings.

It’s definitely narcissistic to say the least. And likely compensating for insecurities about not being able to cut it in college, business or the world in general. And the kicker, of course, is that this guy who hasn’t been in a relationship for four years consults himself and decides that going on the Bachelorette is the key to his next relationship. Doh! At least he can take solace in the fact that there are girls out there who write to Charles Manson. So, he’s still got a shot.

He’s very immature in thinking that he’s going to make all this money by creating all of these businesses based on stuff he knows. Basically, make lots of money and spending a minimal amount of time. Ummmmm… I don’t know what books he reads, but that’s not exactly a business model that comes out of any real book. That’s something that Chad made up on his own too. I’ve met lots of, let’s call them less than intelligent, successful business owners. But those guys were successful because they learned how to do something really well & worked really hard for a decade or two to become successful. Who’s been successful spending a minimal amount of time on stuff they make up where they don’t have to work hard? Nobody ever. Chad’s life is headed straight into the toilet. He might be the perfect profile for a mass shooter. He’ll end up blaming everyone else for his failed life. Which is ironic since he never listens to anyone but himself. Self mentoring is not really a thing Chad.

2. lucyw4

June 7, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I find it hilarious that his own dog couldn’t stand to be around him!

3. qwerty

June 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

I feel like Chad’s pathological anger issues and violent nature are supposed to be entertaining for viewers, but I actually find it deeply disturbing to watch him being set up in romantic situations (with a woman, or in BIP’s case women, who might not have access to a full picture of him). I would not feel safe being in a relationship (or even, being alone in the same room) with someone who’s that quick to violence. Watch out, BIP ladies.

4. farmgirl

June 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Hey Steve..Honorably Discharged is what most Marines get. All it means is that he did his four years and got out without getting in trouble. That being said, as a female AND former Marine, I think Chad is gross and horrible representative of the Marine Corps. Also a horrible representative for men in general. That is one of the worst profiles I’ve ever read.

5. cjscjs711

June 7, 2016 at 11:02 AM

@Rob22 yes, I saw that Chad did punch the door.

I think Reality Steve’s comments above are a testament to what a good job producers are doing of creating characters intended to get under the skin of viewers. Steve is a very very jaded, long-time viewer of this series and still, producers have managed to evoke some very strong, almost visceral responses from Steve! As we know, the characters we see are a combination of producers and casting directors being able to discern the personality mix that will make good TV. And to successfully play up those traits at the right times to make good TV. They enable and instigate.

There is a lot of button-pushing going on. How– organic is it?

Personally, Chad, including the character that has been brought forth on TV, doesn’t bother me that much. I work with entertainers and while not always typical, I’ve seen much more extreme types than this. Typical, though, is that when the camera loves someone and they are getting work, his or her competitors often become envious, snide, and catty.

I think the ‘bromance’ between Chad and Daniel was a lot more believable than the bromance last season between JJ and Clint. The latter seemed so obviously staged, and they tried too hard.

What was more painful to me was watching James Taylor, and his constant showcasing his talent with his singing and guitar. He reminded me of Bradley “the Opera Singer” who was constantly singing in what looked like a blatant attempt to promote his voice on TV. In contrast to appropriately modest Sharleen, who was also an opera singer.

June 7, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Producer manipulation is obviously always a factor. But with Chad, based on the match.com profile, dude is not playing a role. That’s who he is. All the producers needed to do is roll the video and play it back. Granted, they introduced conflict to Chad because they knew he couldn’t deal with it. Just light the match, step back and watch the fireworks. I could have missed it, but I didn’t see a lot of franken-bytes for Chad. They just weren’t necessary.

I think with Daniel and Chad, you have two guys who like to workout a lot. Guys like that might be in the gym 3-4 hours a day doing their thing. Few guys work out that hard doing the workout that they do. It’s extreme. So, finding a workout partner on the same type of schedule is the main connection. It really didn’t take Daniel that long to realize that Chad was a douche. But Daniel didn’t care until the house started lumping him in with Chad. Guilt by association. Guys aren’t that picky about workout partners, though. I worked out with a meathead that I thought was a douche for several months. Dude was a great workout partner though. Worked out hard, pushed me and was actually very encouraging. When he talked about anything else, however, it was like you were talking to an animal. Eventually I just got sick of him and bailed.

7. canon

June 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I’m no Chad fan as I’ve met plenty like him, but I will say this. If you look at each confrontation, Chad never starts it. Someone needles him and he doesn’t respond well, but it always starts with someone making a diss comment. Sure, his ITM’s are beyond egocentric, but face to face, he’s right that he’s not starting it. Granted, he should just say “Whatever dude” rather than getting riled up, but if the others weren’t dogging him first, these things probably wouldn’t be happening. Lots of creative editing I’m seeing here and I’m sure producers are getting others to verbally poke him knowing it will set him off and give good tv. And yeah, no doubt the security guard is just to up the drama factor. All that said, I’ve never seen you be so into bashing a character before! Calm down Steve.. LOL

8. karynr

June 7, 2016 at 2:39 PM

I haven’t watched last night’s episode yet, but after reading RS, as well as Chad’s Match.com profile, I can understand why his dog didn’t come home.

9. crushonspivey

June 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM

canon, I agree with you. Chad never starts any of it. And I can just imagine some producer goading some of the more insecure and whiny guys into starting stuff with Chad. And let’s be honest–the guys that start stuff with Chad are the whiny dudes on the show this year.

Always amazes me of the ones that get caught up in creating the house drama, and complaining about the other contestants, and yet those people NEVER get chosen in the end. Really, they never even make the final 3. They are just there to be used and abused by producers to create drama, and do they deliver. And they go home as losers, because they are.

I think Chad is hilarious. Yeah, the guy has issues, but so do pretty much other other guy on the show. They all look damaged. That is the problem with this show now. They beat up all the contestants so much, it is hard to want to root for any of them. This year, I am literally rooting for JoJo to pick no one. I want her t o be the Bachettte that dumps them all, then calls them loser at the After ceremony.

I just like that Chad calls them all out for their own crap. Deservedly so. Bunch of whiny, wimpy “JoJo song” singing pansies this year.

10. kimmyfromdablock

June 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM

All of us know how much producer manipulation is involved on this show. It’s clear that Chad is narcissistic, but you also have to wonder how much is exaggerated by producer input and editing.

However…..then we see the Match profile. What an incredible moron. Any woman with an ounce of self-respect would not give him the time of day. The things he writes about himself are jaw dropping ridiculous. Aside from that, he sounds very uneducated.

It’s too bad a guy with conventional good looks is not so attractive on the inside. When he told Jordan he was some washed up football wannabe — that was no producer manipulation. The guy is mean-spirited and ugly. In my book, that qualifies as an epic fail in life.

11. kmannone723

June 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM

I’m definitely worried that Chad abuses women. I kinda pick up on that vibe. Definitely worried that any girl that goes for him either on BIP or his match.com profile will regret going for him

12. tamara

June 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Best Bachelor/Bachelorette line ever, thanks to Evan:

“Love is worth being shoved in the face for!”

I think Evan is handsome and sweet, and a good catch.

Better than Jordan, who seems fake and full of himself.

13. lucyw4

June 7, 2016 at 10:31 PM

I think Evan is sweet, but not handsome, or a good catch because of his 3 kids.
    Robby looks like a mannequin with hair that doesn’t move.
    Alex is good-looking, but his height and preoccupation with Chad is a HUGE turn-off.

The only cute one to me, is Wells. I love his smile, but his small physique would be a problem.

June 8, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Yeah, definitely the ones that get the most hooked into the house drama never seem to end up in the F4. However, we only see what they let us see. So, if the goal is to make the F4 look good, maybe their whining isn’t shown?