Whoa! Caroline the Eviscerator! I wonder if she gives tongue lashings to her clients when they decide to look for a ranch instead of a two story! Lets hope not.
Here’s what’s hard for me to figure out. You and your audience (myself included) agree this show is a crazy platform for finding a life mate. Limited candidates. Unrealistic dating situations. Glare of studio lighting. Lure of stardom. Pressure from production to create “romance.”
U.S. divorce rate hovers at 50%. People change their minds. Someone they chose under the best of circumstances isn’t right for them. We applaud those who go their separate ways instead of hanging on in a state of misery just for principle’s sake. Unless it’s Brad Womack Part 1, or Juan Pablo, or Jason Mesnick or (heaven forbid!) ARIE!!!! These guys had a grasp of the value of the rest of their lives, realized they weren’t on the right path, and acted on it – the show be damned! I’m sorry Becca was hurt and I hope she’ll be the bachelorette and find well deserved happiness. But to excoriate Arie for acknowledging his mistake is wrong! Come on, Steve. You’re a smart guy. Admit you agree with me!
Comment: I’m not blaming him for changing his mind. It happens. Although it is ironic that Sydney and other exes called this before the season even started. So when people who already know your character predict what you’re gonna do, and you go do that exact thing, kinda lends them a little credibility that apparently they were so lacking before, no?
He can break up with whoever he wants when he wants. He’s basically done it for the last 5 years of his life. It’s how he went about it that’s ridiculous. Admit you agree with me!
I’m just curious why you think Robert Mills made it seem as though there was some special specific reason as to why Women Tell All was on Sunday (see his tweet). Is it really just because of ABC scheduling and he was trying to hype it up? Or is there some actual reason? Not sure why he said that because they still could’ve shown the WTA in between overnights and the finale. I don’t think showing it before changes anything.
My other question is about the Women Tell All, it seemed like based on Chris Harrison’s interviewing on the stage that Seinne also potentially would be on the back-up bachelorette list should Becca not accept the role. Is that me reading too much into the words, or do you think there’s a chance Seinne could be ahead of Tia on the list should Becca say no? It’s just not going to happen.
My last question (and I know you’ve mentioned this in an older post but I just couldn’t find it so apologies), when does Bachelorette tape, and when would it air?
Comment: Filming has started mid-March for the last 6 or 7 years, finishes filming anywhere between May 8th-11th give or take one or two days, and usually begins the second to last Monday in May.
I love your spoilers, especially your prediction of Becca K. being the next Bachelorette after douche Arie leaves her for another blonde Lauren. It definitely makes a lot of sense. But what are your thoughts on the possibility of Kristina Schulman being the next Bachelorette? America undoubtedly feels bad for her with Nick and Dean, and she’s certainly beautiful! What do you think?
Comment: Kristina has zero chance to be the “Bachelorette.”
Thank you as always for giving us all of the details surrounding the show before they play out on television. It makes the show more fun to watch. I have a few questions.
1) I know that you got some information on Kevin from Canada about his intentions for fame and/or desire to become the next Bachelor Canada. Have you heard any negative things about Benoit from Canada? No.
2) Since the bachelor finale is a two night event, will the portions on the 6th be live and the first night ATFR will just be pretsped footage of the break up and asking Lauren for another chance? We don’t know yet and won’t until the finale airs.
3) On the Winter Games Tell All show, did they leave out footage of Benoit and Clare in Sacramento? You had mentioned that they showed that footage at the taping in your column, correct? Yes, it wasn’t shown on the show.
4) Since Yuki was a favorite on Winter Games,do you think that they would ever put her on BIP? I mean maybe, but it would be for pure comedic value. If the whole point of your BIP show is for people to meet, date, and eventually fall in love, putting Yuki on that show makes zero sense. With Winter Games, at least there was a game element to it where you could basically use that as your excuse for her to be there. But ultimately she was eliminated bc she hadn’t coupled up with anyone. And how is she supposed to date/couple up with anyone on BIP if she doesn’t know the language?
5) In regard to the next bachelorette, have you heard if Becca is willing to take the gig or if it will go to Tia? In case you couldn’t tell, this email was sent in before yesterday’s post.
6) I saw that Lesley was in Honduras with Ben Higgins. I couldn’t tell, did Dean tag along as well? I remember them saying that they had trips planned. Yes, Dean was with her.
7) What did you think of Rachel’s critiques of Dean and Lesley’s kissing on Winter Games? I think it was blown out of proportion how much hate she was getting on social media for it.
Comment: I agree. She has zero reason to be jealous or petty of a Dean and Lesley coupling that had been, what, 10 days? She’s been engaged to Bryan for almost a year now. I didn’t think there was any shade there. The only people who saw shade are people who didn’t like Rachel in the first place and will find fault with anything she does.
I want to be happy for Ashley I for finding “love” in the Winter Games but I feel like she is way more into Kevin then he is into her.
With that said, I was watching an extratv video the other day with Alexis, D-Lo and Raven and they mentioned Kevin sliding in the DMs of some of their friends. Have you heard this as well? If it is true, I wonder if it was before the Winter Games or after.
I really want to like Kevin but I feel like he might be using Ashley for her Bachelor following. Thoughts?
Comment: Another email that was sent in before yesterday’s post. But yes, I’ve heard the names. And know of one more. But be quiet. Lets not ruin Ashley’s fantasy that Kevin is all in on her and not her adoring fans or IG followers. Keep that on the downlow.
I know some of you basically find it impossible that people will date others in the franchise just for their IG followers. Trust me, I can’t tell you how many times it’s happened. It’s pretty pathetic actually.
I know you can’t read minds, but do you have ANY idea why Sean Lowe is being so quiet about Arie’s season? He tweeted during Nick’s and tweeted support for Arie and even mentioned his season was a long time coming…so why the radio silence?
Comment: Well, I was informed on Twitter yesterday he went on Ben & Ashley’s podcast and credited my spoiler. Nice. At least that’s one person who appears on that podcast who will reference my name.
Did you notice any differences in editing of the fantasy suite episode as it pertains to the finale? You might not know the timing on this- but would this episode have been edited prior to the Becca/Arie break-up or after? I’m not sure if they are editing differently or if I am watching differently knowing he ends up dumping Becca. I just feel like they are shoving he and Lauren’s relationship down our throats and I’m not sure if that’s intentional. Also- it’s wild how many times they have him on camera saying “my biggest fear is choosing the wrong person” and they are using it as foreshadowing- and not just in ITM’s that could have been filmed later but actually on site. Would love to know any thoughts. Thanks!
Comment: I thought they showed plenty of Becca and Arie together, not to mention the numerous “I love you’s” and “I’m in love with you” to make his choice of Becca make the most sense. If I watched the show unspoiled, I’d think he picked her based on what he was saying to her in the fantasy suite. I know he told Lauren that too, but just knowing how things are edited, in the past, Becca would be someone that the lead would choose based on how she’s coming across. Lauren would not be. And that’s exactly what happened. He just had a change of heart 2 months later.
I was wondering how often you think the lead bases decisions on interactions with the families at hometowns? I have no idea. I’d have to ask each and every one of them personally to have any clue. I’m sure getting along with their family plays a role, but not the ultimate decider.
Who are your predictions for Paradise? Personally I loved how Winter Games seemed so much classier but do you think the majority of fans prefer trashier?
Comment: Yes. I expect a majority of the cast to be Arie’s girls and Becca’s guys – like it is every season. You know, assuming this intel of Becca being the “Bachelorette” turns out to be true.
While watching the Women Tell All, did you notice the glares Tia was giving during Seinne’s interview? It seemed to me they were “testing” these two women for the position of the Bachelorette. My actual question is do you think the Bachelor/Bachelorette position is that coveted anymore? With the introduction and success of Bachelor in Paradise and now Winter Games, it seems that on these spinoffs that depending on what you are looking to get out of it you’d be more successful (whether that be love of more Instagram followers). For example, Ashley I now has multiple podcasts, makes appearances on Entertainment Tonight, and multiple Instagram sponsorships. Absolutely it’s still a coveted spot. But if you don’t get it, can you go on to do other things? Sure.
I’d also like to know your take on why the franchise never seems to involve Des and Chris? Is this the decision of the couple or production? They seem to be a more successful than most of their other more recent couples. With the release of Des’ bridal line, it would seem like that would be a natural choice to allow her to dress the couples like how Niel Lane blings them.
Thanks for your time!
Comment: I think it’s because they choose to stay out of it. She said as much on my podcast. They just like living their life up in Seattle and don’t really need to do anything with this show. Others do. Different strokes for different folks.
Hi Steve – i am new to your site and I have to say I find it AMAZING! Your insight is refreshing and cynical and don’t ever change. I have a few questions for you:
1) you have mentioned the change up for the WTA and how the timing worked in such a way that it was at the final three instead of the final two. I thought that had to do with the fact that the Oscars are next Sunday so they could not do the WTA against the Oscars? No, the WTA is usually on it’s own Monday in between Overnights and the Finale. I guess technically they could’ve aired it anytime this week to continue that, but it all comes down to scheduling. And yes, it couldn’t be on this Sunday because of the Oscars and both are on ABC. Not to mention, that would’ve been 7 hours of Bachelor programming over 3 consecutive days, coming off 6 hours of programming the last 2 weeks. Probably better they did it when they did.
2) I think you may be a little hard on the Bachelor Winter games performance. They never expect decent ratings for shows during the Olympics which is why everything else are reruns. I think the four episode arc is a good little filler to add something different in the schedule at low cost. But for this franchise, to do that every season? I don’t see the benefit. Not to mention finding 12-14 new international competitors every season? Just seems like a lot of work for very little payoff.
3) Do you think Arie’s décision to go back to Lauren was at all money-driven? Her family looks to be EXTREMELY well off and the time away from filming could have given him an opportunity to do some research.
Love the site! Keep up the great work!
Comment: That would be a horrible reason to make that switch. About as shallow as you can get. I don’t see why that’d factor in, no.