The Bachelor 25 - Matt

The “Bachelor” Matt – A Breakdown of the Last Week in Bachelor Nation, Chris Harrion, & What Happens Now?

Photo Credit: ABC

I feel like we’ve really had so much go down since we last spoke it’d be impossible to go over everything in this column and on tonight’s live. With my power going in and out, I’m typing this whole column on my notes app in my phone, then have to use whatever time I have when power is back up to get it to you and upload it on the site. The second thing is tonight’s live with Ashley Spivey at 8ET/5PT. I’m not sure that can happen as of now because the power outages keep happening. If it happened during the live, I’d be sitting there in the dark ha ha. So unless we did it at like 6 ET, that’d be the only way to power through it since I’d be able to use natural light. But I doubt that’s gonna happen. So I will keep you updated on Twitter and IG, but not looking good for the live to happen tonight. But I don’t think we’ll wait til next Tuesday either. Hopefully these power outages will stop by Thursday or so. I’ll keep you updated.

So since we last spoke, so much has happened that we’ll need to rewind a bit. Chris Harrison’s interview with Rachel Lindsay happened last Tuesday on “Extra.” I included it in last Wednesday’s column, but in case you still haven’t watched or don’t know why he’s stepping down for a period of time, I really suggest you take 13 out of your life and watch how not to conduct yourself in an interview, especially one with a black woman asking you the questions:

This interview came out pretty much right before Ashley and I went live last Tuesday night. So it was never discussed because we hadn’t watched it yet. We only had a couple quotes from it where Chris spoke about Rachael Kirkconnell. We had no idea it was a 13 minute interview since the whole thing came out while we were doing the live. So that happens Tuesday night and the backlash started rolling in immmediately to where Chris issued an apology for what he said on his IG the next day:

At that point, Racahel Kirkconnell still had yet to address anything and I was being told it was because ABC needed to approve whatever she wrote. Which is utterly ridiculous. The fact they didn’t let her speak for six weeks and were telling her behind the scenes not to worry about it and just let it blow over, then once the Old South formal pictures came out last Thursday, they told her to make a statement, keep it 100 words, and they had to approve it. Then the Chris interview happens, he apologizes on Wed, they reject her apology statement, then do another 180 and just let her post on Thursday afternoon:

As you can see, Rachael’s apology was 10x better than Chris’ and validates what I told you from a couple weeks ago when I was talking with the family insider. When I asked and polled you all if you’d want to hear from a family insider (since Rachael was being told not to say anything by production), it was because they were essentially going to say what Racahel said in her apology. She was going to own it, she was embarrassed by her actions, she knows it was racist, and even was aware her apology wouldn’t be enough and that it would take time for her to earn people’s trust. At this point, that’s really all she can do. Apologies on IG are just words. Going forward, her actions will tell whether or not that apology was sincere. And oh yeah, in case you still haven’t been able to grasp it yet, if you’re white, that apology is not for you. She even added that in her caption. And trust me, PLENTY of white people have made it known in my Twitter mentions and DMs how insignificant they think this is. SMH.

The other thing about that I wanna bring up is Rachel Lindsay saying that there’s nothing in the contract that says Rachael Kirkconnell couldn’t have taken to social media to defend herself. And she’s right. All I can do is relay to you what the family insider was telling me for the last two weeks. Rachael has wanted to speak out for weeks now. But production was telling her not to. She’s 24 years old, everyone in America is calling her a white supremacist/racist, she has a giant NDA contract that she signed, and the company that made her sign it is holding it over her head saying basically “do not say anything until we let you.” So while it’s easy for us on the outside to say “why did she listen to them,” I get it. Put yourself in her shoes. Should she have? Yes. But she didn’t know any better and she’s got a network telling her she can’t. This is her first time through this and she was scared bc her “bosses” essentially were telling her no. Once Chris Harrison apologized Wednesday, less than 24 hrs after his interview, that’s why I tweeted what I did and told Rachael on social media essentially “Screw your contract, call their bluff, and address this before it keeps getting worse.” And then she did on Thursday finally when they allowed her to.

1. feck

February 16, 2021 at 11:19 AM

Being a person of color, I don’t find any wrong with what Chris said. And I don’t really care about what someone said in their past let alone highschool/young adult life. Also being a POC as ppl call us, the biggest racists I know personally are other poc’s. This whole situation is stupid and dumb.

2. feck

February 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Steve you sound Racist AF, you associate POC with Black only it seems.

3. mgb970

February 16, 2021 at 11:37 AM

Ironic that Chris was asking folks to cool their jets before they tried Rachael in the court of public opinion… and it blew up into this. Yes, Chris said some stupid stuff like looking at 2018 vis-a-vis 2021.

But I guess, in 2021 no less, we cannot have a rational conversation without the professionally outraged leveraging scenarios to keep themselves relevant.

Rachel and Becca sure have turned into mean girls.

You know what, I had to Google, “Antebellum party”… I honesty had no idea what that even meant. I guess in 2021 America, that makes me a racist too?

4. crushonspivey

February 16, 2021 at 12:04 PM

Harrison came across really poorly in the interview. He was rude honestly. I had a problem with him talking over Rachel mostly and not listening as well as he could. He was more interested in making his point to basically defend Racheal than to listen and even to concede points. But he made a valid point about people needing to give Rachael a chance. The point still stands. But now for him as well.

But this ridiculousness to get him fired from his job? I’m not down with that, and that is where BachDiversity lost me. They are using this show to further their cause and platform politically, and don’t care who they take down to do it. To me, that is destructive behavior and I am not ok with that “ends justifies the means” tactics.

Also, who are they? Who are the people behind that Insta page, and Change.org petition? Now that they have called for the firing of an individual, show yourselves. It is one thing to advocate for a TV show to makes changes (which I agree with–and man, does this show thrive on misogyny this year perpetuated by the producers), it is another entirely to now try to get someone fired. So it is time for them to come forward and be known. No more anonymity for them, if they really care for that cause. Now step up and face the charge personally.

I really like Matt as a lead. Some say he is boring, but I think he is a gentleman. He has handled things well, especially during a season when the woman on woman fights and cattiness has been super high, and clearly ratcheted higher by uncaring producers (mostly women behind the scenes). It’s been pathetic. Last night episode–again–had some nastiness. I really do hope he has a success story, but based on how this season has gone, how this show is produced and the narratives they push for, the leads have almost no shot.

5. jordanav

February 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM

Haha, two non-black people commenting on this post to let you know their opinion. This is why this show pissed me off. They cater to this audience. The “but Chris did nothing wrong” crowd who are also the kind of people who pretend to be POC on the internet. Disgusting. Chris did everything wrong. As an actual black person I can tell you that is being an audience member is this stressful I can’t even imagine what being a black contestant must feel like. A bunch of people pissed at you for saying the confederacy and it’s defenders are bad. Just awful.

6. jordanav

February 16, 2021 at 12:27 PM

Lol if you aren’t black why are you commenting about whether or not racism regarding the confederate flag and slave plantations personally affects you?

Sincerely,

An actual black person who is upset with Chris Harrison.

7. elizabeth82

February 16, 2021 at 1:49 PM

New Englander here, but I’m confused why Texans are all losing power if as Steve says, he got only four inches of snow?

Steve: please explain why you think Katie would no longer be The Bachelorette?

Re the CH interview, the normalizing he did of the Old South Antebellum parties as something that was widespread in 2018–I guess he didn’t hear about how frats had been banned from doing that but went ahead and continued the tradition anyway.

8. justsaying

February 16, 2021 at 3:05 PM

I thought Matt was COLD towards Abigail. The nerve of him to ask her what’s wrong and why was she’s upset when they first sat down. Only to dump her a few sentences later. Eeek! Thumbs down!!

9. mgb970

February 16, 2021 at 4:44 PM

@jordanav

> The “but Chris did nothing wrong”

Nobody in here wrote that.

> Lol if you aren’t black why are you commenting about
    > whether or not racism regarding the confederate flag
    > and slave plantations personally affects you?

1. Nobody mentioned the confederate flag.

2. Nobody is pro-slave plantation.

3. People who aren’t black also have a right to comment.

Your reading comprehension sucks.

Sincerely,

Every literate American regardless of skin color

10. mgb970

February 16, 2021 at 4:47 PM

> New Englander here, but I’m confused why Texans are all
    > losing power if as Steve says, he got only four inches
    > of snow?

Because a bunch of wind turbines froze up in the extreme clod and couldn’t spin. That’s 20% of Texas’ power. The grid cannot cope with increased demand in the face of 1/5th less capacity. So there are rolling blackouts to compensate and keep the grid from crashing.

11. kayakguy

February 16, 2021 at 4:59 PM

There sure are a lot of angry people out there. You are ruining the fun of watching one of the dumbest shows on television. No way would I want to watch Rachel host the “after” show in place of a Chris. He is the only reason why I watch it in the first place— love seeing him navigate and corral the bitter women dumped by the bachelor.

12. fishbelt

February 16, 2021 at 8:02 PM

Well, after all these years, Steve finally got his wish. I hope he’s happy with Chris’ downfall. Public opinion, on other websites, is stoically behind Chris. As the Bachelor goes, so goes this website. It will be reduced to podcasts that no one listens to. ABC will now ruin the Bachelor franchise just like they did with DWTS.

February 17, 2021 at 6:44 AM

I agree largely with @crushonspivey. I’d probably take it a little farther in that it’s pretty shocking that a face of the franchise guy like Chris would even do an interview like that. I honestly don’t know what he was thinking. And although I hate it when people come out with the pitchforks after people’s careers, Chris did that to himself & didn’t seem to get it enough to come up with a real apology. Also, unlike Rachael, he’s not 24 years old. Living in GA, I think those antebellum parties are horrible. And it’s hardly a secret that they’re controversial. And, I also see where younger kids don’t necessarily get it. I have two of my own, and I cannot swear that they never went to a similar party with their frats. (I don’t know, but they are pretty common, so it wouldn’t be a massive shock if they did). So I get what Rachael did. But Chris, you’re on your own buddy.

14. jlyoung

February 17, 2021 at 7:12 AM

Hi Steve. I’ll probably continue to come to this site because the Bachelor series is unwatchable without the spoilers. I’ll hate myself for doing it the whole time. YOU don’t get to tell me I’m a racist “no if’s and’s or but’s.” Who are you? Wow. People are allowed to have an opinion. Yes, some opinions are blatantly racist but most perspectives don’t need any particular label from you…or anyone. Your “labeling” is what keeps divisions going. You are a huge part of the problem. Since we’re in the spirit of labeling…mine for you is ARROGANT!

15. bachfan02

February 17, 2021 at 9:47 PM

WOW!!! Loving the screen time data you posted. Thank you, Steve! I’d missed it. Just confirmed what I already knew. I’ve been writing/saying for a while now producers gave Katie the best edit. It’s like they’d already decided she would be the next Bachelorette. Not one of Matt’s final four or any of the BIPOC women. So infuriating on a season that had cast so many. So they played up Katie’s parts. Of course fans are gonna want her. They feel they know her. Meanwhile, there were others, some of Matt’s ACTUAL frontrunners who didn’t get nearly as much time or attention. Who is to say one of them didn’t speak out against the bullying or say it wasn’t cool? Maybe they did or said other things that might have endeared them to the audience, but maybe it didn’t make the cut. And I’d already noticed the IG following growth disparity. As for Chris H., he put his foot in it. And he handled it like he had something to get off his chest, and he was disrespectful to Rachel Lindsay. He only has himself to blame for his “break” by making more of a mess of the situation. He’s supposed to be a pro. He could’ve said let’s wait and see what Racheal K. has to say about it all. And left it at that. Instead he went off the rails.

16. shellylite

February 20, 2021 at 12:00 AM

Way too much has been made of all of this. Probably 90% of America doesn’t care about this or this show at all. People have it on in the background of their lives and don’t pay that much attention to it. Yes Chris Harrison is annoying and sexist AF. I guess he’s racist now too and he may very well be, in part because he was trying his hardest to defend the woman who probably already won this season. He was probably trying to save the show. But Ms. Lindsey seems hell-bent on destroying this show, the host of the show, the relationships the contestants have with people who don’t live up to her standards (Garrett, who was always a jerk, but still, Becca picked him) and honestly who cares. This show has been a sexist problem since the beginning. I could write 20 pages on how it’s disgustingly sexist, but no one cares. All anyone cares about lately, seemingly, is what Rachel Lindsay thinks of everything and every one. And why is she famous again? Oh yeah, because Chris Harrison made her famous.