The Bachelorette 14 - Becca

The “Bachelorette” Becca – Finale Recap, Leo & Bekah Feud, BIP 5, & Episode 3 of the “He Said, She Said” Podcast

Photo Credit: ABC

-That brings us to the inevitable question I get at this point every season and that’s do I think they’ll last? I don’t know. My guess would be no, but we do know that the “Bachelorette” has a much higher success rate than the “Bachelor.” It’s not even close. This is the 14th season of the “Bachelorette” now with Becca’s in the books. 7 of them are still together: 3 marriages (Trista & Ryan, Ashley & JP, Des & Chris) and 4 still engaged (Kaitlyn & Shawn, JoJo & Jordan, Rachel & Bryan, and now Becca & Garrett). So the odds are certainly better. I do think these two are into each other. But something about them together long term just doesn’t fit with me. Who knows? I could be wrong and these two get married and stay together until one of them dies. There’s just something about them as a couple I don’t see. Others do see it, and that’s perfectly fine. Neither one of us is right or wrong. It’s all guesswork at this point. I’m just telling you the sense I get.

-A couple articles came out on People.com last night right after the finale aired. They’re happy but also admit the IG likes by Garrett was definitely a point of contention in their relationship. When Becca admits it was a major thing they had to talk about in the beginning of their relationship, I don’t think she’s telling us anything crazy there. Of course it was. His likes completely went against her ideals and what she believes in. It’s why I thought it was a big deal when people told me it wasn’t. His own fiancé sure thought it was a big deal, so yeah, that’s what we were saying. But they’ve said they’ve talked it out, she knows what kind of man he is, and they’ve grown from it. That’s really all we can ask for as an audience from them. Is it just rhetoric? Nobody knows. Time will tell. But they seem happy now and they have their whole life ahead of them. Or 6 months. Or a year. Whichever comes first. If they walk down the aisle, they’ll get a gift from me like I’ve bought for all the successful couples. That will always stand.

-Well guess who felt the need to chime in last night? Good ol’ Arie. In case you missed it, here’s what he posted last night.

Now, I’m not as hard about this one as others on social media were, and I’ll tell you why. Becca told Kimmel at the beginning of the season that she had a talk with Arie during her season and that he makes an appearance. You’ve seen the “Reader Emails” the last few weeks of people asking me when that happened. So it’s not like he just brought this up out of the blue for no reason. It was something people were curious about because Becca first told us. I had no idea until Becca said it on Kimmel that Arie showed up this season. But as for why it was cut out and left on the editing room floor? I mean, why WOULD you air that during the finale? It was something I’m sure they thought would be nice to have in their back pocket, but what a buzzkill that would’ve been to see those two talking in the Maldives. Just unnecessary to air and I’m glad they didn’t. By the sounds of it, it wasn’t some big emotional get together either. It was just to clear the air, get the closure they needed, and move on. But yes, finally production made a smart move in not airing that. We didn’t need it regardless of how you feel about Arie. It just would’ve felt completely out of place to shoe horn that in just because.

-Which brings us to the next “Bachelor” question that came up a lot last night. In going over the last three “Bachelor” announcements, they all came late August/early September. Ben and Nick were both announced during “After Paradise” at the end of August. Arie was announced on GMA on Sept. 7th. I’m guessing that’s when the announcement will be. They like to keep the same kind of timeline on these things. Gives people the whole month of August to debate it and keep the show in the pop culture discussion. As I said last week, I have no idea where they’re leaning. If they want shock value, they’ll pull an alum from the past like they did the past two years with Arie and Nick. If they’re not looking for shock value, it’ll be Jason or Blake, both of whom have already said they’d “consider” it. Translation: Of course either of them would take it in a heartbeat. These guys saying they’d “consider” it is funny. Just say you’d do it. I know you don’t want to sound like you’re campaigning, but trust me, we all know you want it anyway. Might as well.

Thank you again to everyone who visited and supported the site for the last few months. Been a good ride. Got another six weeks of this with Paradise on, then “Bachelor” filming begins and while the frequency of the columns on the site will slow down, I’ll still be spoiling in real time on Twitter and posting whenever something comes up. Already starting to gather some of the women for the next season. You know, the next group of women whose DM’s Becca’s men will be sliding into. Yeah, those women. Got a few already but won’t release those until we’re much closer to filming time. Fun season, not nearly as much drama as Arie’s (at least on camera), and now here comes Paradise. Keep it here for all your latest info, recaps, etc. “Reader Emails” continues on Wednesday, “Dr. Reality Steve” on Thursday’s along with the weekly podcast. Thanks again to everyone for following. Hope I could entertain in some way.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. ctrealitygirl

August 7, 2018 at 8:58 AM

I’ve seen a few mentions of Chris Harrison being named the Bachelor…wouldn’t that be a hoot!

2. corn29

August 7, 2018 at 9:15 AM

Becca saying to Blake, “you’ve made me know that I can fall in love again. But through all of that too, because we were so constant, I think I was overlooking other relationships”…

… is quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said on this franchise.

Really?

Through all your incessant whining and references to Arie every episode this season, that you wanted to find love, so you find that love, now you think that love is getting in the way of other guys?

Seesh.

Becca is just another shallow Andi Dorfman-bot.

3. ctrealitygirl

August 7, 2018 at 10:06 AM

I have to agree with you you corn29. Becca really floundered when she was giving Blake reasons for rejecting his proposal. And why on earth, knowing how sensitive he was, did she allow him to get that far? On their last two dates, he told her how much it bothered him knowing there was still someone else in the picture who she had feelings for. The reason most leads have given when they claim they have fallen in love with two people is that there is one person they simply cannot say good-bye to. To me that seems to be the best way to put it without hurting the person any more than they already have by rejecting them. I never bought that she truly loved Blake. She kept saying it in the voiceovers. But, as Sharleen Joynt stated in one of her recent recaps, her body language with Blake just didn’t show that she was in love with him. And Sharleen thought that the chemistry seemed off…and I have to agree with her. Knowing what the outcome was thanks to Steve’s spoilers, I really did not look forward to watching last night. I so dreaded the moment Becca stopped Blake from proposing. It was so sad. She and Blake deserve each other! A match made in heaven.

August 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM

@corn29, I agree. Totally lame explanation. She did later say something about how they both “got in their head” about stuff…. which I translated to mean that they were both too much alike & she wanted someone to balance her out. Garrett doesn’t seem to worry about much, that’s for sure. And it’s not wrong to think that Blake and Becca together stressing out all the time might not be the best pairing. I also think the right answer is always “I had to pick one of you”, so….. but I don’t think that would go over that well. It’s probably more of a coin flip than we might think.

5. ctrealitygirl

August 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM

I thought the same thing rob22. Becca ultimately chose Garrett because toward the end, Blake started over-thinking things while Garrett kept things light. Her facial expressions soured when Blake started voicing concerns and that’s probably when she started leaning the other way – that is, if she ever really Was falling in love with Blake. I have my doubts.

6. tinyred500

August 7, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Becca for me was doing fine up until the final goodbye (they were short and sweet etc)…. agree she should have let Blake go sooner.

Like with most leads the last few goodbyes are overplayed and far too much is said, it comes across as disproportionate and over emotional. Some things are simply said to confuse the viewer who they will eventually pick. She never told Blake she loved him to his face …only to the camera. Too many people forget that we are watching a reality show…the producers want suspense and drama, so I don’t take too much notice over what’s said to be honest. I know most peeps would keep things simple given the choice, especially under this weird programmes circumstances.

I look forward to listening to Sean’s podcast….I’m anticipating an interesting one! 😀

7. jlal

August 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM

I agree with some of the comments on here, but have some different points too.
    First, Blake knew he wasn’t going to be picked. He actually said it the night before and right after she dumped him. The sweating profusely was a big give away too. While the dumb a$$ comment that corn29 mentioned was pretty bad,what I thought was just brutal and totally unnecessary was what she said to him during the After. Paraphrasing here, but it went something like this “…when you started getting in your head it made me wonder how you would handle it if things were bad, like a child getting sick…” I actually said out loud to the TV “Wow, brutal and unnecessary”, she did not have to say that. Tons of people “get in their head” on this show, even Becca has admitted to it too. To imply he wouldn’t be a good spouse or parent was uncalled for.

I thought them cutting right to Blake sitting on the couch after the breakup scene was awkward to say the least.

I also never thought her body language showed she was that into Blake. I pay attention to body language, because people can say anything. 80% of communication is nonverbal.

I do think she and Garrett may have a chance. They seem like they’re really in love and well suited. I hope so.

8. jlal

August 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Oh, one more thing. I don’t buy for a minute that she wasn’t into Garrett until the end. She gave him the first impression rose. He was on her radar from the very beginning. I thought it was obvious how into him she was.

However, they can’t say that or it would ruin the show. But I do actually remember one bachelorette that admitted on the After she pretty much knew from the beginning, though I can’t remember who it was now.

Anyway, they have to play the game and not spill the beans. Just like she had to go along with the edit that made it look like she got up right after Colton’s confession. She can’t call the show out and tell the truth.

9. ctrealitygirl

August 7, 2018 at 11:59 AM

Yes, jlal, that comment Becca made about worrying about Blake being able to handle situations after being married was indeed brutal. And It surprised me that she would say something so cruel to him. I’m thinking the leads go overboard on the AFTR shows in order to appease the person they’re engaged to. And like Steve opined, I would prefer they go back to the old format of showing the rejection and proposal before jumping to interviewing the “dumpee”….seems excessively mean after watching themselves be rejected on a live TV. Not to mention, it really takes away from the proposal. Remember last year with Rachel? They devoted all of a few final minutes to Brian’s proposal, focusing instead on the break-up with Peter, followed by putting Peter into the “hot seat.” We viewers wait a long time for the big proposal scene. But after watching the rejected person being grilled, it makes the proposal seem anti-climatic.
    And I have to say, Blake’s expressions after Becca rejected him were disturbing. For once Chris Harrison was right when he announced it would be the most brutal rejection to watch.

10. ctrealitygirl

August 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM

jlal…I believe Ashley Hebert may have commented that she knew it was JP from the beginning…and perhaps Andi Dorfman too about Josh??

11. tinyred500

August 7, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Becca knew better and so agree that many go into their heads and overthink things, They are shut-off from the outside world with little else to think about.

12. tinyred500

August 7, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Agree she knew who she was picking from night one, and it’s was Ashley H who said she knew too.

13. ctrealitygirl

August 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM

How could someone who makes the top three NOT be in their heads? They’re prodded into taking a HUGE leap of faith that they’ll be the last man/woman standing, while they have no way of knowing what the other relationships are like. I shared Blake’s sentiment the morning after the overnight date…as wonderful as he must have felt waking up with the woman he was falling in love with, there was also a BIG possibility he’d never sleep with her again, and he voiced that. that’s exactly how I’d probably feel! When you think about it, the concept of the show is pretty screwed up! It’s virtually impossible for someone not to get hurt in the process, and on TV no less, with millions of people watching you get dumped!

14. GoingBlonde

August 7, 2018 at 12:33 PM

Steve will still never get me to listen to the awful Ashley Spivey on his He Said, She Said. Sharleen was wonderful, but ugh Ashley is just awful! Anyone who sees what she posts on Twitter would understand. She’s mean and hateful on there. She sure can dish out the mean comments, but she can’t take them. If you don’t agree with her on all her ridiculously overly liberal thoughts, she will start name calling. Interesting that once he put Ashley on, he suddenly made it free to listen to, probably because he knew no one would pay to hear her. Ha! You couldn’t even pay me to listen to her whiney self!

I do, however, look so forward to hearing Sean on the podcast! I love Sean and Catherine! They are so adorable. And Sean’s tweets are funny. He’s just so nice and likable.

15. tinyred500

August 7, 2018 at 12:37 PM

It ‘might’ have made Becca feel guilty and uncomfortable when she heard Blake say that…going on if she knew she was picking Garrett.

It would be an immense challenge to feel completely sceptical by the end, I don’t think anyone could truly say how they would feel if in the final three..’all over the place emotionally and psychologically’, I would think…

August 7, 2018 at 1:14 PM

About the “in your head” comments. True, they are in a bubble. And, in successive weeks, they’ve had Becca meet their families, slept together in the fantasy suite, met her parents and selected an engagement ring. Meanwhile the other contestants are doing the exact same thing and you know that they are. If you have an ounce of real feeling for Becca, that’s going to be a troublesome image. Yeah, hey, I just had a real cool time with my girlfriend. She met my parents, I met hers and we had awesome sex! Oh, and she did the same with two other guys. Aaaagh! But other than that, it’s totally normal so I can just relax and enjoy life. Or not.

To that point, somehow Garrett managed to let it not get to him & didn’t seem to be too terribly thrown off by his getting hammered on social media about his social media likes. Give him credit for not letting all of that get to him. That’s the good part of a “chill” guy like Garrett. The bad part is that guys like this tend to be pretty immature & irresponsible, which is exactly what his social media activity tells us.

17. stacylee

August 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Heard a podcast with Blake’s ex’s friend. She said reason for their break up (after 2 month relationship) had to do with religion…or lack of beliefs. If you read between the lines, I think this is what Becca was alluding to. She is way to classy to come out and say that. I’m sure we all noticed her cross tattoo. Good for her for considering the biggest picture of all! Love her even more.

18. jlal

August 7, 2018 at 3:04 PM

It was Ashley, thanks. And, I too was surprised she was so cruel; it was unnecessary.

19. mariet

August 7, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Ashley H. was all about Bentley at first. It was painful to watch. Ali F. was all about Roberto from the start.

20. adelina

August 7, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Basically Becca said last night “my fiancé and I have worked through his racism.” Something so off about him. Between the two month long marriage, the racist, transphobic, anti immigration likes and his “I’m in recovery from a stroke” voice – he is not what he appears.

21. pugmom

August 7, 2018 at 6:33 PM

I just created an account to comment here. I’m so glad this season is over and it has nothing to do with Becca and Garrett. I think the hate I’ve seen spewed is nauseating. I’ll never understand how you fight hate with more hate. I am Latina, I studied my butt off to get my bachelors in accounting, and my first job in my career I was caught in an unfortunate situation where my boss was racist. Genuinely racist, hated men, and all gay people. I essentially started job searching very quickly because that horrible lady was scrutinizing all of my work and delighted in yelling and humiliating me. When I first heard about the info Ashley Spivey found on the guy Becca picked, I was so sad. After seeing her live break up and hearing from RS that she had no idea it was coming, I was really rooting for her. Instead of just seeing what he’s “liked” on IG, I was waiting to see if any of the minorities on the show called him out for being a jerk because of their background (as far as I’ve seen I don’t think anyone did). I don’t like the stuff he liked on social media, but I really think people are blowing it out of proportion because it could be SO MUCH WORSE. I think if he was making really mean comments every time he saw a gay person, hispanic, or black person on TV or anywhere near Becca she would immediately get the hint and leave him for Blake, or Jason, her ex, or (my personal favorite, our meme and savior) Wills. That’s just my take on it. I wish everyone treated each other with respect so I really think that Ashley’s take on exposing his social media history and adding fuel to everyone whose bullying him is disgusting. She acts like she’s so much better than everyone else and I believe she will be getting the same hate right back because we reap what we sow. I really hope she opens her mind, you catch bees with honey not vinegar.

22. stampinsundevil

August 7, 2018 at 9:36 PM

I believe Deanna Pappas and Jesse Csincsak had set a wedding date and even set up a website when they appeared on their ATFR. I recall jumping online immediately to subscribe to their site!

23. jlal

August 8, 2018 at 3:36 AM

mariet – Until you mentioned Ali and Roberto I’d forgotten how obvious they were. I remember commenting to my friend at the time about her body language with him vs. the other guys. I still remember them riding in some street car/trolley type of thing and she into him. It was a far camera shot, so not like she was playing to the camera.

There may be the occasional lead who really does struggle to decide between the final two, Jason M. and Arie come to mind, but the large majority know who they are picking in not from the start, darn close.

24. jlal

August 8, 2018 at 3:46 AM

pugmom – sorry to hear about your work experience. I’ve had a few bad ones from the sexual harassment stand point. I agree with you that if Garrett was this horrible person, Becca would have figured it out. She is smart. I don’t see her settling for someone for whom she would have to compromise her values.
    Racism, bigotry, and homophobia are based in ignorance and fear. They said they have had many conversations. People can learn, grow and evolve which I’m sure Garrett has done or is in the process of doing. In a good relationship you help each other become a better person.

One question – did he just “like” one or a few bad taste jokes or was this a pattern with him?

25. tinyred500

August 8, 2018 at 4:50 AM

From interviews that Becca has given so far, it appears the social media thing and Garrett has been discussed and they’ve moved on. It’s really only Becca’s and Garrett’s issue and business, and not anyone else’s business, horrid they had to cope with the latter part.

If you go back to the beginning of Becca’s season on RS’s blog (and read the blog comments over the days and a weeks thereafter) you will see there’s a lot of comments who agree with you. 🙂

26. jlal

August 8, 2018 at 5:41 AM

Okay, so who watched BIP and what did you all think?

Here is what I though:

Tia’s a mess; Krystal hasn’t changed a bit; Colton is way in it to win the next bachelor gig and nothing else; David is still a little instigator; Jordan is hysterical; Kevin is a tool; and Nick is dumb as a rock and can’t string three sentences together without getting bleeped five times.

Oh yeah, and I still love Grocery Store Joe.

27. ctrealitygirl

August 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM

We have the same taste jlal! I agree about Tia…what’s the deal with her insecurity and mooning over Colton? I liked her on Arie’s season but liking her less and less since then. I wish Colton would disappear! He needs to get it thru his head that he’s NOT going to be the next Bachelor. Can’t stand David, LOVE Jordan. Nick is another nobody who thinks he’s hot. Krystal is still insufferable. What a hot mess this show is! What I think everyone loves about Grocery Store Joe is that he seems so normal…what a breath of fresh air compared to all the rest who think they’re celebrities!

28. pugmom

August 8, 2018 at 10:06 AM

I completely agree! I’m glad they’ve talked it out. I agree with Rob22 that it seems like he hasn’t been really mindful of what he does on social media.
    I felt like I could express myself here because everyone seems to be so much more thoughtful and logical 🙂
    My refering to hate spewing has mostly been Twitter.

29. pugmom

August 8, 2018 at 10:19 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about the sexual harassment 🙁 I hope you’ve found a job somewhere better or that whoever was disrespecting you has gone elsewhere! And I completely agree! Life experience and meeting people from many different bankgrounds or even meeting a significant other who can share their experiences can help someone grow. I definitely believe Becca has helped him, if he was really closed minded I don’t imagine they’d still be together, so unpopular opinion I hope they work out and Garrett doesn’t get bullied much longer.

About the likes, as far as I’ve seen there’s probably 6-7 and knowing from Ashley it spans 6+ months my guess is he probably wasn’t constantly liking stuff that’s in bad taste.

30. realitynyc12

August 8, 2018 at 1:09 PM

Lol I couldn’t agree with you more Adelina. I wanted to like Garrett, I really did. But the whole “sorry, I clicked on some awful stuff, I didn’t know it’ll offend people” just rings hollow to me. Its great that he talked it over with Becca and that she knows the kind of person he really is, yada yada yada but what that whole thing on ATFR failed to answer for those of us too “liberal” and “sensitive” is what exactly his views were at the time he clicked like on those pics. If he finds things like throwing children over a border wall and racist or homophobic jokes funny, then what does that mean? He got called out for it and suddenly he no longer finds those things funny? I mean, if he truly saw the error of his ways, great and as RS says, time will tell and his actions will speak louder than words. But for me, it would give me major pause if a person I was engaged to, at any point, found any of those offensive things funny. This was the crux of the argument on here but let’s all stop with semantics and call it what it is. If a person finds racist memes funny, then he’s a weee bit racist, know what I mean? Same for the other stuff. Unless he was drunk/ high/ completely incapacitated to make clear thinking decisions when he clicked those likes, I just don’t buy the argument of ” I just did it not realizing what I was doing but this is not who i am, my bad”.it was who he was at the time he did it and for Beccas sake, I truly hope it isn’t who he is anymore. Good luck to these two, I do like them together overall and hope they last…

31. supersparklyday

August 9, 2018 at 12:01 PM

I have to disagree with the posters who thought Ali only had it for Roberto. I’ve always thought she was so devastated over Frank leaving, that she would’ve chosen him. Look at the guy she’s married to now, Kevin Manno, who looks exactly like Frank! She was dazzled by Roberto’s good looks (as were we all), but she.is clearly attracted to the eyeglass wearing guys.

I also think Becca had it bad for Garrett right from the start, and Blake never really had a chance. But knowing the spoiler may have just had me looking at it with Confirmational Bias.

I would take either Jason or Blake as next Bachelor!

32. davidrobinson

September 26, 2018 at 2:58 AM

I would take either Jason or Blake as next Bachelor too!