The Bachelor 22 - Arie

The “Bachelor” Arie – Episode 8 Recap, Your Remaining “Winter Games” Spoilers & How the Engagement Came To Be

-We start with Kendall, and right off the bat, this show went all haywire with the order of hometown dates. Very rarely do they show them in the order they were filmed. Hell, I don’t even remember the last time they did. But these were definitely all mixed up. The order they were filmed were Tia, Lauren, Becca, and Kendall, but as we saw last night, it was shown Kendall, Tia, Becca, then Lauren. I don’t think there’s really much rhyme or reason to why they do it, but it’s always interesting to point out. Kendall starting off in her ITM before Arie got there was her saying she was “so excited to show Arie where I grew up.” Yeah, LA. A place he’s been plenty of times. It’s not like growing up in LA you experienced anything totally out of the ordinary. It’s LA. 4 million people live there. It makes a hell of a lot more sense when someone like Tia says she’s excited to show Arie where she’s from because, lets face it, it’s a town of 716 people and probably not a lot of people have experienced it. LA? Really? If you would’ve said you were excited to show Arie HOW you grew up, you know, with stuffing animals all day long as a hobby, that would’ve made much more sense. Where? Uhhhh, no.

-Because Kendall is a quirky one, you knew they wouldn’t have her get a hometown and not have it be all about her taxidermy obsession. Look, I get it’s different strokes for different folks, but I just don’t get it. Exactly what is remotely fun or interesting about that? Kendall: “I don’t see it as morbid. I don’t see it as gross. I see it as beautiful.” You know what’s even more beautiful? When these animals are actually alive and not stapled onto your wall. She even made a Paris backdrop for a mini play (?) that she put on for the two rats that she and Arie stuffed together, and I have to think at this point he was vomiting in his own mouth. What the hell is going on here? Is this real? Is this girl off her rocker? I’m guessing a much more entertaining hometown date with Kendall would’ve consisted of her chugging semen. Donkey semen of course.

-So we’re going to meet Kendall’s mom Michelle, dad Bob, twin sister Kylie, and brother Colton. Or is it one of those families and it’s Kolton? Barf. Anyway, before Arie and Kendall head to meet the parents, they do some talking and a lot of kissing. Like, a lot. Kendall and Arie are almost one in the same in that when neither have anything to say to the other, they just make out. They made out so much, that by the time Kendall did one of her later ITM’s, she had no lipstick on anymore, yet she had lipstick on when they first sat down. I feel it’s important to note since lipstick tastes awful and I have no idea how Arie does that. Wear that flavored gloss or something. That at least has some appeal to it. No one wants to have lipstick remains in their mouth unless you want him to puke in your family’s bathroom for his first impression.

-Arie meets the family and thanks them for inviting him into their home. Is that really accurate? Did they technically invite him? He invited himself when he chose Kendall for a hometown, no? Yes, they still have to be accepting of it, and I believe Melissa Rycroft’s parents were the only ones who skidaddled their way out of a hometown, so, it’s pretty much a given the family will be there. Quit kissing up this early. They already doubt your intentions with their daughter who’s never had a serious relationship. Kendall and her mom step away to talk first and she says she’s never dated anyone like him before…you know, even though they’ve yet to go on a date yet which makes that statement all the more laughable. She obviously is one that’s never been one to open up much and has never had a relationship longer than 8-10 months, so this is big time for her. Bringing home a guy she still hasn’t gone on a date with, yet, he’s unlike anyone before him. Can only imagine who else she’s been with before him.

-Her sister Kylie is an interesting one. We know she was eyeing the two of them like a hawk at dinner looking for any signs that Arie is a complete douchenugget. When her sister has alone time with her, she tells Kendall that she noticed “a little bit of space between you two.” Yeah, exactly. I still don’t think Arie knows a thing about her other than her love for stuffing dead animals and she likes tonsil hockey just as much as him. Then her sister goes for the jugular: “Is this really my undeniable person? I don’t feel that from you.” And even Kendall is saying on this date, “As of right now, I don’t think I’m ready to be engaged.” The only reason to keep Kendall or Tia this episode was purely physical. Even when Arie pulled her aside later at the rose ceremony, her response was more about this not wanting to end than it was about being engaged. The best part of this date was at the end, when Kendall finally told him how she felt outside her house, neither of these two were even looking in the same direction when she told him she was falling for him. Obviously a big deal for her to say that someone knowing her past, but it had zero feeling behind it and you could tell she was just telling him what she thought he needed/wanted to hear. But go watch it back. It was kinda funny how there was zero connection there. And then she went to her go-to of just making out with him afterwards so she didn’t have to talk about it.

1. jlal

February 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Wow, RS must be getting a load of crap on social media from Arie fans. Once again, I don’t do SM but he seems really defensive. I hope it works about for Arie and Lauren, like it did for Jason and Molly.

Still don’t see the issue with a single guy or women dating around. Also, know that many times one person is way more invested than the other. That doesn’t mean the one who isn’t as invested is a “bad person”. Also, people do grow up, mature, and change especially if they find the right person.

At least they showed more interaction between Arie and Lauren, so it makes more sense now. I did think Kendall would go before Tia though. I noticed that Becca and Tia said love you when she left, so figured those two were pretty close.

As for winter games, I can’t even pretend to care. Other than, I’m happy Ashley finally had sex. Maybe now she won’t place fairy tale expectation on every single guy who says hello to her.

2. kernst33

February 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM

I was so thoroughly done with Arie after this episode. From his self congratulations for handling Kendall’s taxidermy to his break up with Tia, I was just finding myself getting so angry with him and his cockiness. I’m so ready for this season to be over, and to go to the hilarious display of fragile masculinity that is The Bachelorette.

3. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Do we finally have our first fantasy suite pregnancy (Lauren) on our hands?

I thought I was the only person who tears the roof of their mouth off with apple jacks. Lol

4. G K

February 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM

trainwrecktv – only time will tell! Crazy to think. And by the way, HOW does apple jacks tear off the roof of your mouth???? It’s not like its hot – you and Steve are clearly soul mates – only 2 in the world this happens to! Haha!

5. LM111

February 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I keep forgetting to mention this… every season, when the lead goes to meet the final 4 families, he/she will bring a gift (like flowers or wine) to just ONE family, the winner’s family! I paid attention last night and noticed that Lauren’s family got the gift. As far as I know, that’s never happened (assuming Steve is right on his spoilers). Did they re-shoot the ending to make Lauren the winner? Makes me wonder.

6. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM

It is like chewing broken glass…delicious broken glass. Stuff like that shreds the roof of my mouth…but it never happens to anyone else I know. 🙂

7. adelina

February 20, 2018 at 8:17 PM

Aside from Arie being in the top 5 most boring Bachelors….I can’t think of one of these women who would make a good Bachelorette. I think Kendall is interesting and Tia can be charming, but I don’t think either of them could carry the lead position.. Even though RS predicts Becca will get it based on the sympathy vote, I jus don’t think they’ll give it to her. Not enough in the personality OR the looks department.

8. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM

@LM111, Lauren IS the winner

9. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Also, Tia for next Bachelorette all the way

10. cjscjs711

February 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Becca’s date – it really is a Minnesota family thing to go apple picking. The University of Minnesota has developed a lot of popular apple varieties (Honeycrisp, etc.) Her family is also typical traditional Minnesota. Minnesota Nice, but the Franchise could (and has) done a whole lot worse. You can’t always tell…. A lot of the ones who came across as spunky, lots of personality, were a wash on their Bachelorette season. Kendall truly is too ‘quirky,’ Tia I don’t think so….

11. jlal

February 21, 2018 at 3:48 AM

LM111, I noticed Arie took two gifts to every home. They all got flowers, but a couple also had a gift basket, one he carried a gift bag, and I can’t remember what the fourth one was. I think, Becca and Lauren’s families got the flowers and gift baskets, Tia’s the flowers and gift bag, and I forget Kendall’s family gift other than the flowers. Not that I think it matters much, as the lead always take the family a gift of some kind. I just noticed he took two every time.

I think Becca’s personality may come through as the lead. She is pretty, but her looks may not be for everyone. I think Tia would make a great lead, ton of personality. It would be a fun watch.

12. sarahe

February 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM

@jlal, I don’t think anyone’s issue with Arie is that he dated multiple people as a single man. I think the issue is how he treated those women. Had he been up front with women he dated about not wanting to settle down and wanting to keep things casual and open, that would be one thing. But clearly Steve has heard from multiple people who have dated Arie that he made them feel like they were the only one, only to cheat on them. If you want to date around, fine. But don’t lie to the women you’re dating in the process. That’s what makes him a scumbag.

13. flyingchaucer

February 21, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Reality Steve, I get that you’re defensive of the accuracy of your spoilers, especially given that you apparently are often not credited for them, or are often second-guessed, but I have to say that there’s something…uncomfortable at best about your insistence on the Ashley I. losing her virginity story.
    I’m not saying that you’re wrong or it didn’t happen; I don’t actually really care whether she did or not. But it strikes me as problematic verging on gross to see a guy not involved in the act insisting that his perspective on a woman’s sexual experience is the correct one. YMMV, I guess, but it’s hard to see why this is a hill you want to die on, and so I suppose I’m posting this because I’m hoping you might reflect a little bit.

14. sarahe

February 22, 2018 at 7:03 AM

@flyingchaucer- I completely agree with you. It’s a little strange that Steve is getting so defensive on that particular spoiler, because honestly while the show and Ashley herself have made her virginity a large part of her storyline in this franchise, it’s quite honestly not Steve or anyone else’s business when she does choose to have sex. Steve, for the record, I also believe you because your track record speaks for itself. But I wouldn’t go out of your way to defend the accuracy of this spoiler. If Ashley and Kevin are choosing to keep that private, let them.

15. jlal

February 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM

sarahe – I get what you’re saying and agree to a point. However, I have only heard of Arie dating around a bunch, not cheating a bunch. Even his ex before the show said as far as she knew he was faithful to her.

I just get tired of RS and others taking such a judgmental moral high ground about everyone. Young, single people date. A lot. Those in this franchise seems to move up and down the line up, men and women. They treat it like a live dating app. I think they, both men and women, should be able to date around, sleep around, or whatever without being labeled. They’re all adults and know what they’re involved in.

I’ve heard about many of Arie’s relationships, not anything about him cheating. I also keep in mind sour grapes from ex girlfriends, and different expectations. I’ve dated people, some for months, that I knew I’d never marry. People don’t always date their “forever person”, sometimes you date the “for right now” person.

16. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM

If Benoit knows what’s good for him, he will drop Clare Creepy Crawley like a hot potato. She’s a used up old maid with teeth I despise. Watching her is like running my fingernails down a chalkboard. Poor little guy. It was fun to watch Christian diss her with broken English. One thing is clear about the international contestants though, and that is they have seemingly higher morals than the good ole Americans. Glad to see a more mature side of Ashley. Good for her and Kevin! Lesley and Dean, uhhh not so sure about them.

17. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I DO NOT want to see Tia get Bachelorette. She was trying hard on WTA last night by saying she’s ready for love again. Uggg. No. I can’t stand her bad-mouthing self. I can see them picking Sienne for obvious reasons. But I can’t think of anyone on Arie’s season worth watching.

18. deedledee

February 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Agreed. RS comes across as sooo puritanical about dating and in reality, dating is not exclusive until it really is, meaning a conversation has been had. I listened to the ex on the podcast expecting something and it was like, BFD, you thought he was your boyfriend and he wasn’t. Happens. Next time, get clarity. Life goes on. I think Arie is rather boring and surely flawed, but plenty, PLENTY of men date around and have fun being single before they decide to settle down. That’s typically the way it goes, especially for guys like Arie.