The Bachelor 22 - Arie

The “Bachelor” Arie – Episode 8 Recap, Your Remaining “Winter Games” Spoilers & How the Engagement Came To Be

-Tia was up next and what she said when she first saw him was telling about the timing of her hometown (she was first remember). She tells him “it’s been just a few days,” because it had. They left Italy on a Monday or Tuesday and Tia’s hometown was on a Thursday. The other great part to start this date? Some ABC intern doesn’t know their state abbreviations:

I wonder if that’s grounds for firing? Didn’t we learn state abbreviations in 5th grade? Get on the ball, people.

-Because going to a silo and having your brother pretend he’s a cop and stage a possible arrest was already done last season on Raven’s hometown, they decided Arie and Tia would head to the track for a like dirt racing. Something Arie had an immediate hard on for because that’s what he likes to do. Drive fast. Speed turns him on. Will Smith once said that. I mention Raven because for whatever reason, her appearance on this episode was left on the editing room floor. Arie and Tia met Raven and Adam during her hometown but they decided not to show it:

-We’re going to be meeting Tia’s mom Denise, dad Kenny, brother Jason, aunt Carol and cousin Rhonda. But those last two were basically ghosts since we didn’t hear peep from them really. Two things about this date that made it the best hometown date of the night and, quite possibly, top 5 of all time. First off, Tia’s dad called him “Airy,” which shows the level of respect he had for him. And secondly, their dinner table had a giant tray of pigs in a blanket for them to chow on. Now, I’m sure dad scarfed down a baker’s dozen or so, but I would’ve really liked to have seen how the rest of them were divided up. I probably would’ve shown no restraint and gone back for seconds. And thirds. Any family kind enough to fire up some of that grub on my first meeting with them could quite possibly be my future in laws. Just sayin’.

-Her brother and Arie step outside first for a little talk, and it’s made quite clear that Tia’s brother is a fan of Reality Steve. “I hear you might be a little bit of a playboy…they call you the kissing bandit.” Thank you Jason. Do you listen to the podcasts too? Because you’re such a fan, who would you like on in a future one? Brett Bielema? Chad Morris? Nolan Richardson? Bill Clinton? You just name the guy and I’ll deliver. Ok, maybe not. But I appreciate you being such a fan. Arie of course talked his way out of that with “well, I got that nickname because of the show last time. I don’t feel that’s me now.” Oh, it isn’t? How many girls have you given the exact same head grab kiss to this season? All of them? Of course it’s you. That’s all you do. So when you do it to everyone, it makes exactly zero of them feel special. But hey, keep convincing yourself it doesn’t.

-Big Kenny is up next and, holy sh**, he might be just as big of fan of my site as Jason. When talking to Tia, he says “I heard he might be a ladies man.” Hmmm, where’d you hear that Kenny? I appreciate the love, buddy. I tell you what. I’ll head on up your way some time, we’ll fire up some weenies, and spend the day swapping Arie stories out in the barn. You tell me what you’ve read, and I’ll tell you what’s true. Which is basically all of it. That’s the best part of covering this season. And I mean this sincerely. Tell me one thing I’ve written about Arie this season that isn’t true. Go ahead. I’ll wait. Let me know what year you come up with something. The list goes on and on and nothing I’ve reported has been inaccurate.

-When it’s Big Kenny’s turn to get a hold of Airy, even he himself calls him a “playboy.” Arie’s response? “That’s completely false.” Oh. Well if Arie says he’s not a playboy, I guess it must be true then, right? Even though he’s been with countless women in the last 5 years, none of which he admits he was ever in love with, and even some of THOSE he says he chose them because he knew he wasn’t serious about them. And oh yeah, he cheated on many of them. Kenny, whatever you read on the internet, and whatever vibe you got from this guy, and whatever your intuition tells you, just go with it because it’s about as accurate as you can get. Just be thankful he sent your daughter packing when he did. If he did pick Tia, I’m guessing within a few months, you would’ve gone huntin’ for Arie, found him, and stuffed him like a pig in a blanket for how it would’ve ended with your daughter. You’re ok in my book, Kenny. I ain’t messin’ with you.

1. jlal

February 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Wow, RS must be getting a load of crap on social media from Arie fans. Once again, I don’t do SM but he seems really defensive. I hope it works about for Arie and Lauren, like it did for Jason and Molly.

Still don’t see the issue with a single guy or women dating around. Also, know that many times one person is way more invested than the other. That doesn’t mean the one who isn’t as invested is a “bad person”. Also, people do grow up, mature, and change especially if they find the right person.

At least they showed more interaction between Arie and Lauren, so it makes more sense now. I did think Kendall would go before Tia though. I noticed that Becca and Tia said love you when she left, so figured those two were pretty close.

As for winter games, I can’t even pretend to care. Other than, I’m happy Ashley finally had sex. Maybe now she won’t place fairy tale expectation on every single guy who says hello to her.

2. kernst33

February 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM

I was so thoroughly done with Arie after this episode. From his self congratulations for handling Kendall’s taxidermy to his break up with Tia, I was just finding myself getting so angry with him and his cockiness. I’m so ready for this season to be over, and to go to the hilarious display of fragile masculinity that is The Bachelorette.

3. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Do we finally have our first fantasy suite pregnancy (Lauren) on our hands?

I thought I was the only person who tears the roof of their mouth off with apple jacks. Lol

4. G K

February 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM

trainwrecktv – only time will tell! Crazy to think. And by the way, HOW does apple jacks tear off the roof of your mouth???? It’s not like its hot – you and Steve are clearly soul mates – only 2 in the world this happens to! Haha!

5. LM111

February 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I keep forgetting to mention this… every season, when the lead goes to meet the final 4 families, he/she will bring a gift (like flowers or wine) to just ONE family, the winner’s family! I paid attention last night and noticed that Lauren’s family got the gift. As far as I know, that’s never happened (assuming Steve is right on his spoilers). Did they re-shoot the ending to make Lauren the winner? Makes me wonder.

6. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM

It is like chewing broken glass…delicious broken glass. Stuff like that shreds the roof of my mouth…but it never happens to anyone else I know. 🙂

7. adelina

February 20, 2018 at 8:17 PM

Aside from Arie being in the top 5 most boring Bachelors….I can’t think of one of these women who would make a good Bachelorette. I think Kendall is interesting and Tia can be charming, but I don’t think either of them could carry the lead position.. Even though RS predicts Becca will get it based on the sympathy vote, I jus don’t think they’ll give it to her. Not enough in the personality OR the looks department.

8. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM

@LM111, Lauren IS the winner

9. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Also, Tia for next Bachelorette all the way

10. cjscjs711

February 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Becca’s date – it really is a Minnesota family thing to go apple picking. The University of Minnesota has developed a lot of popular apple varieties (Honeycrisp, etc.) Her family is also typical traditional Minnesota. Minnesota Nice, but the Franchise could (and has) done a whole lot worse. You can’t always tell…. A lot of the ones who came across as spunky, lots of personality, were a wash on their Bachelorette season. Kendall truly is too ‘quirky,’ Tia I don’t think so….

11. jlal

February 21, 2018 at 3:48 AM

LM111, I noticed Arie took two gifts to every home. They all got flowers, but a couple also had a gift basket, one he carried a gift bag, and I can’t remember what the fourth one was. I think, Becca and Lauren’s families got the flowers and gift baskets, Tia’s the flowers and gift bag, and I forget Kendall’s family gift other than the flowers. Not that I think it matters much, as the lead always take the family a gift of some kind. I just noticed he took two every time.

I think Becca’s personality may come through as the lead. She is pretty, but her looks may not be for everyone. I think Tia would make a great lead, ton of personality. It would be a fun watch.

12. sarahe

February 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM

@jlal, I don’t think anyone’s issue with Arie is that he dated multiple people as a single man. I think the issue is how he treated those women. Had he been up front with women he dated about not wanting to settle down and wanting to keep things casual and open, that would be one thing. But clearly Steve has heard from multiple people who have dated Arie that he made them feel like they were the only one, only to cheat on them. If you want to date around, fine. But don’t lie to the women you’re dating in the process. That’s what makes him a scumbag.

13. flyingchaucer

February 21, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Reality Steve, I get that you’re defensive of the accuracy of your spoilers, especially given that you apparently are often not credited for them, or are often second-guessed, but I have to say that there’s something…uncomfortable at best about your insistence on the Ashley I. losing her virginity story.
    I’m not saying that you’re wrong or it didn’t happen; I don’t actually really care whether she did or not. But it strikes me as problematic verging on gross to see a guy not involved in the act insisting that his perspective on a woman’s sexual experience is the correct one. YMMV, I guess, but it’s hard to see why this is a hill you want to die on, and so I suppose I’m posting this because I’m hoping you might reflect a little bit.

14. sarahe

February 22, 2018 at 7:03 AM

@flyingchaucer- I completely agree with you. It’s a little strange that Steve is getting so defensive on that particular spoiler, because honestly while the show and Ashley herself have made her virginity a large part of her storyline in this franchise, it’s quite honestly not Steve or anyone else’s business when she does choose to have sex. Steve, for the record, I also believe you because your track record speaks for itself. But I wouldn’t go out of your way to defend the accuracy of this spoiler. If Ashley and Kevin are choosing to keep that private, let them.

15. jlal

February 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM

sarahe – I get what you’re saying and agree to a point. However, I have only heard of Arie dating around a bunch, not cheating a bunch. Even his ex before the show said as far as she knew he was faithful to her.

I just get tired of RS and others taking such a judgmental moral high ground about everyone. Young, single people date. A lot. Those in this franchise seems to move up and down the line up, men and women. They treat it like a live dating app. I think they, both men and women, should be able to date around, sleep around, or whatever without being labeled. They’re all adults and know what they’re involved in.

I’ve heard about many of Arie’s relationships, not anything about him cheating. I also keep in mind sour grapes from ex girlfriends, and different expectations. I’ve dated people, some for months, that I knew I’d never marry. People don’t always date their “forever person”, sometimes you date the “for right now” person.

16. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM

If Benoit knows what’s good for him, he will drop Clare Creepy Crawley like a hot potato. She’s a used up old maid with teeth I despise. Watching her is like running my fingernails down a chalkboard. Poor little guy. It was fun to watch Christian diss her with broken English. One thing is clear about the international contestants though, and that is they have seemingly higher morals than the good ole Americans. Glad to see a more mature side of Ashley. Good for her and Kevin! Lesley and Dean, uhhh not so sure about them.

17. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I DO NOT want to see Tia get Bachelorette. She was trying hard on WTA last night by saying she’s ready for love again. Uggg. No. I can’t stand her bad-mouthing self. I can see them picking Sienne for obvious reasons. But I can’t think of anyone on Arie’s season worth watching.

18. deedledee

February 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Agreed. RS comes across as sooo puritanical about dating and in reality, dating is not exclusive until it really is, meaning a conversation has been had. I listened to the ex on the podcast expecting something and it was like, BFD, you thought he was your boyfriend and he wasn’t. Happens. Next time, get clarity. Life goes on. I think Arie is rather boring and surely flawed, but plenty, PLENTY of men date around and have fun being single before they decide to settle down. That’s typically the way it goes, especially for guys like Arie.