The Bachelor 22 - Arie

The “Bachelor” Arie – Episode 8 Recap, Your Remaining “Winter Games” Spoilers & How the Engagement Came To Be

-Lauren’s 1-on-1 in Virginia is shown last, and now we have back-to-back girls who run and jump into Arie’s arms. And whaddya’ know? It’s his final two girls. How convenient. These two end up riding horses on the beach before sitting and having a meal. I had pictures of this beach date posted the day of filming, so we knew they’d been at the restaurant which was closed down for the season, but opened just so they could film. Never had pictures of them on the horses, so that was a different touch. Their dinner centered around Lauren being extremely nervous about Arie meeting her family because she knew they were going to be skeptical and question the process. And that they did. All four families last night had reservations about the whole thing, but Lauren’s were definitely the leader of the pack. For those that asked last night and were confused that the house they were at wasn’t the house you saw in the pictures, let me refer you to my tweet from last night:

The show actually used the house across the street to park their vans in, hence the reason the person who posted that made the comment they did. Lauren’s parents house is the one across the street with the white picket fence, something we saw Arie and Lauren enter before getting to the front door.

-They presented this hometown as the weird one where there was a lot of silence and awkward silence. Usually one a season they have to do that for and Lauren’s was the one since it played into the narrative that they were the most skeptical of the process. Her dad asks Arie if he’s ever dated anyone from a military family, Arie says no. He asks if Arie plays golf, Arie says no. Things are going real swimmingly right now for this visit. Her dad should’ve followed with a, “So, I heard you like short petite blondes in their mid 20’s too. What’s with that Sydney girl? You stayed with her for a whole year even though you were checked out long before that. Explain.” I’m sure not only would that have made Arie get up from the table, but he probably would’ve had to ask for a change of pants.

-Arie speaks to Lauren’s dad outside and went straight for the jugular. No, he didn’t ask him any difficult questions or beg to be liked, he immediately started kissing up by relaying a story to an ex-military guy about how he once went to Iraq years ago with fellow racers and visited the troops. I’m pretty sure he knew he was gonna pull that card out the second he heard Lauren came from a military family. The dad seemed to like that and now he and Arie can share war stories together once Arie somehow convinces him that changing his mind on an engagement after two months for his daughter is a strong commitment to her and that he’s 100% fully invested with her and has no other interest in any other women in the Scottsdale area, online, or anywhere else he travels. I’d like to think Lauren’s dad is a pretty bright guy based on what we saw last night. I can’t believe they’re buying this load of garbage he sold them. Gonna be one hell of a finale.

-Arie’s talk with Lauren’s mom was a doozy. She was easily the most skeptical parent on the show last night and Arie lied directly to her face. Well, maybe he didn’t lie, but he skirted the question as well as he could. She asked, “Are you saying the same thing to these other people?” Well, the short answer to that question is yes. He told every family last night he’s falling for their daughter, so, I don’t know how the answer could’ve been anything other than “Yes, I’m saying the same thing to everyone to get in the good graces of all the parents. Are you buying it?” Even the mom in her ITM said “it’s difficult to give your blessing,” but ultimately that she trusts her daughter’s judgment and blah blah blah. Lets see how many parents we get that from in future seasons. “Welllllll, I don’t know about all this, but I trust ______ judgement on this, so whatever they decide, we’ll support them.”

-When Lauren spoke to her mom, she laid it on thick. “I feel like I’m falling in love with him…he told me in Italy he was falling in love with me too…I don’t think he would say that to me if he was saying that to other people.” Yeah, you wouldn’t think he would, but he did. Hell, after he dumps Lauren at the altar in Peru he even tells her he loves her, minutes before he proposes to someone else and tells them the same thing. So I’m not sure how they’re going to process that, but then again, we’re 3 months now removed from that happening and Arie has somehow convinced them he wants to be with their daughter after originally telling her he didn’t. No matter what is said during the finale by either side, it’s quite clear to me based on my knowledge of the situation that these two aren’t going to last, and it’ll strictly be because of Arie and his intentions. Nothing new that I haven’t repeated to you over and over and over again for the last 6 months. But hey, some people are buried so far up his ass they can’t see straight. Even when it does end, they’ll still make excuses for him and that’s just pathetic.

-Rose ceremony time and it was held back at the mansion. Can’t remember the last time they did a final four rose ceremony at the mansion. Usually they just do a hotel in LA. Arie: “Pretty incredible…hardest decision ever in my life (lie)…really is…sorry this is very difficult for me…(Arie excuses himself)…sorry…I can honestly say this decision is incredibly hard…Kendall can I talk to you?

So they step outside and basically Arie is begging her for a reason to let Tia go. Like, he couldn’t have been more clear if he was waving smoke flares at her to just tell him he could see them being engaged at the end and that’ll solidify his decision. When he has to take a girl outside that he’s questioning, she really doesn’t give him the clearest answer in the world (again saying that she’s not ready for this to end which answered nothing), and he still gives her a rose over someone else, man, he really didn’t want to give Tia a rose.

Becca: Red apples all day every day.
Lauren: The whole family getting fleeced by this guy sure is a head scratcher.

“Ladies, Arie, it’s the final rose tonight. When you’re ready.” 4 roses, 2 were given out, and Chris still feels the need to step in and do the math for us. What if he didn’t? Would everyone there be running around with their head chopped off not knowing what the hell to do?

Kendall: I figure since you love making out so much, I wanna see what the fantasy suite will bring us.

Change up in the schedule as I’ve reported these last few weeks as the WTA is airing this Sunday, and overnight dates next Monday. Kendall wasn’t at the WTA because she hadn’t been eliminated on the show yet when they filmed it. I posted your WTA spoilers last Thursday, so if you missed those, the link is on page 1. Only 13 days left of this season, thank god. While it’s certainly going to be a doozy of a finale, once the spoiler broke and then his change of heart, as I said at the time, everything else leading up to it is anti-climactic. I want to fast forward to March 5th please.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. jlal

February 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Wow, RS must be getting a load of crap on social media from Arie fans. Once again, I don’t do SM but he seems really defensive. I hope it works about for Arie and Lauren, like it did for Jason and Molly.

Still don’t see the issue with a single guy or women dating around. Also, know that many times one person is way more invested than the other. That doesn’t mean the one who isn’t as invested is a “bad person”. Also, people do grow up, mature, and change especially if they find the right person.

At least they showed more interaction between Arie and Lauren, so it makes more sense now. I did think Kendall would go before Tia though. I noticed that Becca and Tia said love you when she left, so figured those two were pretty close.

As for winter games, I can’t even pretend to care. Other than, I’m happy Ashley finally had sex. Maybe now she won’t place fairy tale expectation on every single guy who says hello to her.

2. kernst33

February 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM

I was so thoroughly done with Arie after this episode. From his self congratulations for handling Kendall’s taxidermy to his break up with Tia, I was just finding myself getting so angry with him and his cockiness. I’m so ready for this season to be over, and to go to the hilarious display of fragile masculinity that is The Bachelorette.

3. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Do we finally have our first fantasy suite pregnancy (Lauren) on our hands?

I thought I was the only person who tears the roof of their mouth off with apple jacks. Lol

4. G K

February 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM

trainwrecktv – only time will tell! Crazy to think. And by the way, HOW does apple jacks tear off the roof of your mouth???? It’s not like its hot – you and Steve are clearly soul mates – only 2 in the world this happens to! Haha!

5. LM111

February 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I keep forgetting to mention this… every season, when the lead goes to meet the final 4 families, he/she will bring a gift (like flowers or wine) to just ONE family, the winner’s family! I paid attention last night and noticed that Lauren’s family got the gift. As far as I know, that’s never happened (assuming Steve is right on his spoilers). Did they re-shoot the ending to make Lauren the winner? Makes me wonder.

6. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM

It is like chewing broken glass…delicious broken glass. Stuff like that shreds the roof of my mouth…but it never happens to anyone else I know. 🙂

7. adelina

February 20, 2018 at 8:17 PM

Aside from Arie being in the top 5 most boring Bachelors….I can’t think of one of these women who would make a good Bachelorette. I think Kendall is interesting and Tia can be charming, but I don’t think either of them could carry the lead position.. Even though RS predicts Becca will get it based on the sympathy vote, I jus don’t think they’ll give it to her. Not enough in the personality OR the looks department.

8. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM

@LM111, Lauren IS the winner

9. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Also, Tia for next Bachelorette all the way

10. cjscjs711

February 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Becca’s date – it really is a Minnesota family thing to go apple picking. The University of Minnesota has developed a lot of popular apple varieties (Honeycrisp, etc.) Her family is also typical traditional Minnesota. Minnesota Nice, but the Franchise could (and has) done a whole lot worse. You can’t always tell…. A lot of the ones who came across as spunky, lots of personality, were a wash on their Bachelorette season. Kendall truly is too ‘quirky,’ Tia I don’t think so….

11. jlal

February 21, 2018 at 3:48 AM

LM111, I noticed Arie took two gifts to every home. They all got flowers, but a couple also had a gift basket, one he carried a gift bag, and I can’t remember what the fourth one was. I think, Becca and Lauren’s families got the flowers and gift baskets, Tia’s the flowers and gift bag, and I forget Kendall’s family gift other than the flowers. Not that I think it matters much, as the lead always take the family a gift of some kind. I just noticed he took two every time.

I think Becca’s personality may come through as the lead. She is pretty, but her looks may not be for everyone. I think Tia would make a great lead, ton of personality. It would be a fun watch.

12. sarahe

February 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM

@jlal, I don’t think anyone’s issue with Arie is that he dated multiple people as a single man. I think the issue is how he treated those women. Had he been up front with women he dated about not wanting to settle down and wanting to keep things casual and open, that would be one thing. But clearly Steve has heard from multiple people who have dated Arie that he made them feel like they were the only one, only to cheat on them. If you want to date around, fine. But don’t lie to the women you’re dating in the process. That’s what makes him a scumbag.

13. flyingchaucer

February 21, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Reality Steve, I get that you’re defensive of the accuracy of your spoilers, especially given that you apparently are often not credited for them, or are often second-guessed, but I have to say that there’s something…uncomfortable at best about your insistence on the Ashley I. losing her virginity story.
    I’m not saying that you’re wrong or it didn’t happen; I don’t actually really care whether she did or not. But it strikes me as problematic verging on gross to see a guy not involved in the act insisting that his perspective on a woman’s sexual experience is the correct one. YMMV, I guess, but it’s hard to see why this is a hill you want to die on, and so I suppose I’m posting this because I’m hoping you might reflect a little bit.

14. sarahe

February 22, 2018 at 7:03 AM

@flyingchaucer- I completely agree with you. It’s a little strange that Steve is getting so defensive on that particular spoiler, because honestly while the show and Ashley herself have made her virginity a large part of her storyline in this franchise, it’s quite honestly not Steve or anyone else’s business when she does choose to have sex. Steve, for the record, I also believe you because your track record speaks for itself. But I wouldn’t go out of your way to defend the accuracy of this spoiler. If Ashley and Kevin are choosing to keep that private, let them.

15. jlal

February 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM

sarahe – I get what you’re saying and agree to a point. However, I have only heard of Arie dating around a bunch, not cheating a bunch. Even his ex before the show said as far as she knew he was faithful to her.

I just get tired of RS and others taking such a judgmental moral high ground about everyone. Young, single people date. A lot. Those in this franchise seems to move up and down the line up, men and women. They treat it like a live dating app. I think they, both men and women, should be able to date around, sleep around, or whatever without being labeled. They’re all adults and know what they’re involved in.

I’ve heard about many of Arie’s relationships, not anything about him cheating. I also keep in mind sour grapes from ex girlfriends, and different expectations. I’ve dated people, some for months, that I knew I’d never marry. People don’t always date their “forever person”, sometimes you date the “for right now” person.

16. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM

If Benoit knows what’s good for him, he will drop Clare Creepy Crawley like a hot potato. She’s a used up old maid with teeth I despise. Watching her is like running my fingernails down a chalkboard. Poor little guy. It was fun to watch Christian diss her with broken English. One thing is clear about the international contestants though, and that is they have seemingly higher morals than the good ole Americans. Glad to see a more mature side of Ashley. Good for her and Kevin! Lesley and Dean, uhhh not so sure about them.

17. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I DO NOT want to see Tia get Bachelorette. She was trying hard on WTA last night by saying she’s ready for love again. Uggg. No. I can’t stand her bad-mouthing self. I can see them picking Sienne for obvious reasons. But I can’t think of anyone on Arie’s season worth watching.

18. deedledee

February 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Agreed. RS comes across as sooo puritanical about dating and in reality, dating is not exclusive until it really is, meaning a conversation has been had. I listened to the ex on the podcast expecting something and it was like, BFD, you thought he was your boyfriend and he wasn’t. Happens. Next time, get clarity. Life goes on. I think Arie is rather boring and surely flawed, but plenty, PLENTY of men date around and have fun being single before they decide to settle down. That’s typically the way it goes, especially for guys like Arie.