The Bachelor 22 - Arie

The “Bachelor” Arie – Episode 8 Recap, Your Remaining “Winter Games” Spoilers & How the Engagement Came To Be

-Becca is the third date and, unlike the first two, she ran and jumped into his arms. Kendall did no running and no jumping. Tia didn’t run, and when she got to him, he had to pick her up. But Becca? She got the full pairs figure skating jump and lift. Because it was butt cold in Minnesota that day in October, their daily activity was to go apple picking. Ok, I have to ask this question. I need an answer so I can narrow down who in this world I never want to hear from again. Ready? Apples: red or green? Go! I’ve actually gone back and forth on this one over the years. Growing up as a kid, it was always red. Then I became obsessed with green in my high school where sour apple jolly ranchers became crack to me. And those most replicated green apples. But now I’m back to red. I don’t hate green, and those are usually the choice that come in any fruit side you get at a restaurant, but I’m back to being a red guy. So you can only imagine how much my mouth watered when watching Becca pick apples. I’m gonna go eat some apple jacks and rip the roof of my mouth off.

-We’re going to meet Becca’s mom Jill and her uncle Gary who’s a pastor. There’s like 10 other people in her house, but those are the only two we got names on, soooooo, I guess the others can just pipe down and take a seat. We won’t be needing your names tonight. Uncle Gary is up first and if I didn’t know any better, he basically was the first guy on this journey to lay down the ground work for Becca being the Bachelorette. I mean, you’ve known her story ever since I posted her as a contestant almost 6 months ago. But to the average viewer of this show who doesn’t follow any of that stuff, they got their first taste of it last night. They made sure he tugged at the heartstrings with the “this should be her dad talking to you” speech. He asks Arie, “Is she wasting her time or is Becca the real deal?” His answer: “She is.” Mmmmmm, could’ve given a better answer than that buddy. I think you needed to solidify that you weren’t here to waste anyone’s time.

-When mom talked to Becca, she laid down the f***in law. Becca told her the next time she sees her she could be an engaged woman and would she be ok with that, mom gave a short to-the-point answer: No. However her mom, and basically all the parents this episode, did something we’ve really never seen as much before. They all went to the same stock answer. We all know how utterly ridiculous it is for the parents to be meeting the lead for the first time that day and expected to give a blessing should they choose to propose. It’s happened countless times in the previous 21 “Bachelor” seasons. But this season, every family was skeptical, and the times that Arie did ask for permission, basically the parents responded with something to the effect of, “we respect our daughters decision.” Translation: Hell no I don’t give you a damn blessing. But I can’t say no on TV, so I’m basically chickening out and putting it on my daughter. It was fascinating watching every family squirm out of this uncomfortable situation.

-Mom asked Becca if she knew how Arie felt about her and she said, “Since the first date, he’s exceeded everything I thought.” Well I’d be interested to know how that happened considering we’ve barely seen any time he’s had with her since he showered her with a bunch of jewelry, shoes, and dresses he didn’t pay for. Do we know anything about their relationship up to this point? Sure, she was a front runner from the get go, but to the audience, she disappeared for the next 4 weeks after that until she had her 1-on-1 last week in Italy. So we don’t know much, and since Arie is such a simple man that just makes out when he has nothing to say to anyone after uninteresting two sentence conversations, it’s kinda hard to gauge anything with him at all. Becca is convinced though, so he must’ve done something to make her feel safe and secure that he was into her. Or, he just lied through his teeth like he’s done with numerous women in the past. I’ll go with the latter.

1. jlal

February 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM

Wow, RS must be getting a load of crap on social media from Arie fans. Once again, I don’t do SM but he seems really defensive. I hope it works about for Arie and Lauren, like it did for Jason and Molly.

Still don’t see the issue with a single guy or women dating around. Also, know that many times one person is way more invested than the other. That doesn’t mean the one who isn’t as invested is a “bad person”. Also, people do grow up, mature, and change especially if they find the right person.

At least they showed more interaction between Arie and Lauren, so it makes more sense now. I did think Kendall would go before Tia though. I noticed that Becca and Tia said love you when she left, so figured those two were pretty close.

As for winter games, I can’t even pretend to care. Other than, I’m happy Ashley finally had sex. Maybe now she won’t place fairy tale expectation on every single guy who says hello to her.

2. kernst33

February 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM

I was so thoroughly done with Arie after this episode. From his self congratulations for handling Kendall’s taxidermy to his break up with Tia, I was just finding myself getting so angry with him and his cockiness. I’m so ready for this season to be over, and to go to the hilarious display of fragile masculinity that is The Bachelorette.

3. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Do we finally have our first fantasy suite pregnancy (Lauren) on our hands?

I thought I was the only person who tears the roof of their mouth off with apple jacks. Lol

4. G K

February 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM

trainwrecktv – only time will tell! Crazy to think. And by the way, HOW does apple jacks tear off the roof of your mouth???? It’s not like its hot – you and Steve are clearly soul mates – only 2 in the world this happens to! Haha!

5. LM111

February 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I keep forgetting to mention this… every season, when the lead goes to meet the final 4 families, he/she will bring a gift (like flowers or wine) to just ONE family, the winner’s family! I paid attention last night and noticed that Lauren’s family got the gift. As far as I know, that’s never happened (assuming Steve is right on his spoilers). Did they re-shoot the ending to make Lauren the winner? Makes me wonder.

6. trainwrecktv

February 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM

It is like chewing broken glass…delicious broken glass. Stuff like that shreds the roof of my mouth…but it never happens to anyone else I know. 🙂

7. adelina

February 20, 2018 at 8:17 PM

Aside from Arie being in the top 5 most boring Bachelors….I can’t think of one of these women who would make a good Bachelorette. I think Kendall is interesting and Tia can be charming, but I don’t think either of them could carry the lead position.. Even though RS predicts Becca will get it based on the sympathy vote, I jus don’t think they’ll give it to her. Not enough in the personality OR the looks department.

8. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM

@LM111, Lauren IS the winner

9. elizabeth82

February 20, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Also, Tia for next Bachelorette all the way

10. cjscjs711

February 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Becca’s date – it really is a Minnesota family thing to go apple picking. The University of Minnesota has developed a lot of popular apple varieties (Honeycrisp, etc.) Her family is also typical traditional Minnesota. Minnesota Nice, but the Franchise could (and has) done a whole lot worse. You can’t always tell…. A lot of the ones who came across as spunky, lots of personality, were a wash on their Bachelorette season. Kendall truly is too ‘quirky,’ Tia I don’t think so….

11. jlal

February 21, 2018 at 3:48 AM

LM111, I noticed Arie took two gifts to every home. They all got flowers, but a couple also had a gift basket, one he carried a gift bag, and I can’t remember what the fourth one was. I think, Becca and Lauren’s families got the flowers and gift baskets, Tia’s the flowers and gift bag, and I forget Kendall’s family gift other than the flowers. Not that I think it matters much, as the lead always take the family a gift of some kind. I just noticed he took two every time.

I think Becca’s personality may come through as the lead. She is pretty, but her looks may not be for everyone. I think Tia would make a great lead, ton of personality. It would be a fun watch.

12. sarahe

February 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM

@jlal, I don’t think anyone’s issue with Arie is that he dated multiple people as a single man. I think the issue is how he treated those women. Had he been up front with women he dated about not wanting to settle down and wanting to keep things casual and open, that would be one thing. But clearly Steve has heard from multiple people who have dated Arie that he made them feel like they were the only one, only to cheat on them. If you want to date around, fine. But don’t lie to the women you’re dating in the process. That’s what makes him a scumbag.

13. flyingchaucer

February 21, 2018 at 4:38 PM

Reality Steve, I get that you’re defensive of the accuracy of your spoilers, especially given that you apparently are often not credited for them, or are often second-guessed, but I have to say that there’s something…uncomfortable at best about your insistence on the Ashley I. losing her virginity story.
    I’m not saying that you’re wrong or it didn’t happen; I don’t actually really care whether she did or not. But it strikes me as problematic verging on gross to see a guy not involved in the act insisting that his perspective on a woman’s sexual experience is the correct one. YMMV, I guess, but it’s hard to see why this is a hill you want to die on, and so I suppose I’m posting this because I’m hoping you might reflect a little bit.

14. sarahe

February 22, 2018 at 7:03 AM

@flyingchaucer- I completely agree with you. It’s a little strange that Steve is getting so defensive on that particular spoiler, because honestly while the show and Ashley herself have made her virginity a large part of her storyline in this franchise, it’s quite honestly not Steve or anyone else’s business when she does choose to have sex. Steve, for the record, I also believe you because your track record speaks for itself. But I wouldn’t go out of your way to defend the accuracy of this spoiler. If Ashley and Kevin are choosing to keep that private, let them.

15. jlal

February 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM

sarahe – I get what you’re saying and agree to a point. However, I have only heard of Arie dating around a bunch, not cheating a bunch. Even his ex before the show said as far as she knew he was faithful to her.

I just get tired of RS and others taking such a judgmental moral high ground about everyone. Young, single people date. A lot. Those in this franchise seems to move up and down the line up, men and women. They treat it like a live dating app. I think they, both men and women, should be able to date around, sleep around, or whatever without being labeled. They’re all adults and know what they’re involved in.

I’ve heard about many of Arie’s relationships, not anything about him cheating. I also keep in mind sour grapes from ex girlfriends, and different expectations. I’ve dated people, some for months, that I knew I’d never marry. People don’t always date their “forever person”, sometimes you date the “for right now” person.

16. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM

If Benoit knows what’s good for him, he will drop Clare Creepy Crawley like a hot potato. She’s a used up old maid with teeth I despise. Watching her is like running my fingernails down a chalkboard. Poor little guy. It was fun to watch Christian diss her with broken English. One thing is clear about the international contestants though, and that is they have seemingly higher morals than the good ole Americans. Glad to see a more mature side of Ashley. Good for her and Kevin! Lesley and Dean, uhhh not so sure about them.

17. ganny2jax

February 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I DO NOT want to see Tia get Bachelorette. She was trying hard on WTA last night by saying she’s ready for love again. Uggg. No. I can’t stand her bad-mouthing self. I can see them picking Sienne for obvious reasons. But I can’t think of anyone on Arie’s season worth watching.

18. deedledee

February 26, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Agreed. RS comes across as sooo puritanical about dating and in reality, dating is not exclusive until it really is, meaning a conversation has been had. I listened to the ex on the podcast expecting something and it was like, BFD, you thought he was your boyfriend and he wasn’t. Happens. Next time, get clarity. Life goes on. I think Arie is rather boring and surely flawed, but plenty, PLENTY of men date around and have fun being single before they decide to settle down. That’s typically the way it goes, especially for guys like Arie.