First time emailer, long time reader.
I’m getting caught up on your podcasts and just recently listened to the Sean Lowe one you did. Unless I heard wrong, he basically said the producers pick who the lead is taking on their one on one dates (at least in the beginning). I guess my question is why don’t they let the lead pick who they want to take on their one on one?
Thanks for all your spoilers! I’ll never understand how you know everything you do, but glad you share with us!
Comment: The short answer is because it’s a TV show. This show has never been and never will be a show to find the perfect match for their lead. So they plan dates accordingly.
Leo fights like my ex, gets defensive by going on the offensive. Everything is the other person’s fault. There’s no winning. There’s not even any civil discussions. Run Kendall run.
Comment: She knows now.
I really enjoy your spoilers and podcast.
I had a question after last week’s episode with Bri.
She mentioned that she consulted with you as to whether to do Paradise or not and you had a few conversations about it.
Do the Bachelor/Bachelorette people often ask your opinion as to what to do after their seasons? And if so, how does this come about – do you reach out to them or them to you?
If not, how did Bri know to talk to you about this? Did you know her before the show?
Comment: She wasn’t the first and she won’t be the last. After their seasons, it’s a mixture of both. Some I’ll hit up, some will hit me up. It varies.
Have you heard what went down with Benoit and Clare after Winter Games and their engagement?
Comment: Not too much other than I heard they didn’t really see each other that much.
1) Do you think they tried to get Clare on this season of BIP in order to create drama with Benoit? No.
2) Have there been any podcast guests that you’ve had that have surprised you in any way? Either content-wise, or just generally being more engaging than you anticipated? Yes. A few that come to mind were Lesley Murphy (one of my all time favorites), DeAnna (probably the lead to spilled the most “tea” about her season), and Kenny King. Just a good guy. There are definitely more but without going back and looking at 90+ past guests, those immediately come to mind.
3) Are there any people that you’d like to come on the podcast, but for whatever reason don’t think they actually would? Who/why not? I don’t talk about stuff like that because I don’t want fans contacting those people, and I know they would.
4) Do you reach out to most of the podcast guests, or do you find that a lot of them are reaching out to you now? I’ve never put someone on the podcast who reached out to me. I think only one has anyway, like, where they essentially invited themselves on. Everyone on the podcast I contact and ask them to come on outside of one or two.
5) Do you think the Bachelor franchise will ever do anything around “super fans” again? I doubt it. But maybe they should for Paradise next season to change things up.
6) How is Luka? 🙂
Comment: She’s getting better by the day. First three days, she peed in the house every day. She hasn’t done it since.
Hi Steve! Just a couple of questions for you since you said that you were low on Reader Emails this week. So sorry if you have been asked these before!
Are contestants from the most recent season discouraged or advised against coming on your podcast? I was actually wondering about this during Becca’s season, and then you had Christon on a few weeks ago so it sparked my interest. Just curious as to how much say the show has in regard to the post show activities of the contestants. I’ve never been told by someone I asked to come on the podcast they couldn’t do it because the show told them not to. There are some that have said no because they THINK the show wouldn’t like it and they don’t want to ruffle feathers. But none ever said, “The show told me not to do it.”
If Arie and Lauren do indeed end up walking down the aisle in Janularie (or whatever they’re calling it these days), will you send them a gift? Just curious if your rule on buying a wedding gift would still apply since he didn’t end up with his first final “pick”. No. Only for the final pick.
Also, congrats on Luka! She is so precious, and it is so great to see that you have adopted another pup. I know that she will bring you so much joy! Thanks so much as always for everything that you do.
Comment: Thanks. She’s starting to get the routine now. It’s going great. Although she still hates being crated when I leave. She’s happy as a clam when I get back, but it takes her a good 2-3 minutes to calm down once I’m home. Jumping, howling, wailing – she really doesn’t like me to leave.
Hi! Been reading for a while now, but this is my first time emailing. Thanks for the spoilers, makes it easier and more bearable to watch!
So some questions:
1. Given what’s come to light, is Leo going to be attending the reunion show? Lincoln was probably in a worse situation as his went to court, but I mean, giving him a platform, attention of any kind isn’t a good look. Yes, he was there. No real drama.
2. Bekah must feel a bit vindicated. I don’t understand why she engages or says things she knows will get her in a back and forth, but watching last night’s episodes, I know a lot more people probably believe what she put out here. The guy is trash and seems to have no awareness. I agree.
3. I couldn’t agree more with what Raven said last week to Tia about Colton going after the “IT” girl of the time. I wish she could have thrown in Aly Raisman’s name as he did go after her after her run at the Olympics, publicly asking her out. Is it me or even though Raven said that, she also called him a great guy in post interviews about her time on the show and blah blah blah, so I’m wondering… does bachelor nation always feel the need to defend people within the franchise? It’s strange to me because I don’t feel bad saying Colton is probably not all that nice to women, knows exactly what he’s doing, etc. Sort of like Dean last year. People think he’s innocent because of his looks, you know? Some do, some don’t. It’s hit or miss. Some are VERY calculated in what they say publicly, but privately, will bash someone. As for Colton, I don’t think he’s a bad guy. He’s just a liar and an opportunist. Got a lot of those in this franchise.
Sorry, that was a long one, and it doesn’t really get under my skin, but I find it weird how people within the franchise typically stick up for these guys regardless of their track record. I will never get the whole Colton thing, see right through it.
4. I know you’re a big FNL fan. Recently watched the series after trying for so long. I LOVED. Is it a universal thing that all fans agree Julie Taylor is probably the worst character on the show?
Comment: Of all the characters, I’d say yes. Although to her credit, I do think she got better in the later seasons. The sleeping with the teacher thing wasn’t a great storyline, but I thought her ending up with Saracen was the right move.
Hello Steve! Long long time reader first time writer. I have a few questions for you/observations.
1. Wow Leo! Do you remember a time a decently well liked Bachelor/Bachelorette character goes on to tarnish their reputation this badly on BIP? Maybe Dean? But he sort of seemed to redeem himself on Winter Games. Do you think there is anyway for Leo to redeem himself? I feel like it would be pretty tough with his current attitude. We will never see Leo on Bachelor programming ever again, I’m sure of it. And if they do, shame on them.
2. Speaking of BIP, for some reason I feel like this season feels more disingenuous than others. It seems like there is no strong leads we can get behind. I am thinking they believed maybe Tia would have been their next Raven, and that did not really pan out. Or perhaps it is because Becca’s guys all seem to be a bunch of bro dudes. I cannot exactly put my finger on what the issue is. I think your second point is closer to it. Not the most likable bunch of guys.
3. I listen to the Bachelor Party podcast, along with yours of course. I heard Nick and Ben on there recently, and they seem to be very pro Blake for the next bachelor. Do you think they take into consideration at all what former contestants think the next bachelor/bachelorette should be, or they could care less?
Comment: No. Nick and Ben have no influence one way or another. Nor do any other contestants.
OMG, is it just ME or does Kevin’s voice sound exactly like Napoleon Dynamite’s voice?! I cant even listen to him talk without thinking of that movie. HA HA
Comment: He’s basically his clone.
I know you have addressed this before. Why don’t they bring back Bachelor Pad. They had 3 seasons then changed to Bachelor in Paradise. It would be interesting to see how many so called “couples” would go for money vs. “love”. If you think about it, Bachelor in Paradise is the same shit, different day format as well. Meaning one person goes on a date, makes a connection until another person arrives then you have a triangle. I would like to see the Bachelor Pad show over the Bachelor in Paradise. You said it best in yesterday’s post that none of these ppl are on this show to make a real connection. They are more in it to basically screw around and promote their product.
Love your blog
Comment: Chris Harrison has said it’s because that show was so focused on winning money, and that’s not what the show is. I doubt we’ll see it again.
Hey RS Long time emailer here with a few questions!
1)If you were a betting man who would you bet on to be the next bachelor? Jason. And I’m basing that on nothing. Strictly a guess.
2) Do you know the relationship status of Jordan and Jenna? Still engaged.
3) Do you think The Bachelor franchise is done with Leo? Yes.
4) Who Do you expect to last longer Arie and Lauren or Becca and Garrett? Arie & Lauren.
5) Do you think Winter Games will be renewed?
Comment: I honestly don’t know. The fact we’ve heard nothing about it makes me think no.
Hope you’re keeping well. Last year I emailed you for advice on how to draft in my first ever NFL Fantasy league. I had the 1st pick over all, and decided (against your advice!) to go with David Johnson over Leveon Bell as I can’t stand the Steelers, and we all know how that went! If it matters, I did take your QB advice and that paid off. I am back again seeking your wisdom! I have the 2nd overall pick. We’re in a 14 team, non PPR league, and we’ll be doing the ‘snake’ style of picking. #1 has already said he’s going to choose Gurley, so, here I am again – Bell or Johnson? Or do you have another suggestion? Should I buy into the Saquon Barkley hype and take him over the others? Any thoughts on potential sleeper picks I can pick up in a later round? Would very much appreciate your advice – and I promise to take it this year 🙂
Comment: LeVeon Bell. There really aren’t sleepers anymore in fantasy because there’s so much access to info now that everyone has.
Steve, I live in Dallas and have been following you since your very beginnings — have just a comment and no question. Media have been touting Chris Harrison’s new restaurant in Dallas (where he and I grew up). He’s actually a partner/investor and it’s not really “his restaurant.” Sounds like he can be the public face of the new brewpub from his Bachelor gig — media headlines are “will you accept this beer?” Funny, but as you always say, strike while the iron is hot, so good on him. Hope it’s a successful venture, built on the back of the Bachelor. I actually mean this. Life is short — take your opportunities where you can.. That goes for all of us. Love what you do, Steve, keep it up.
Comment: I didn’t go to the opening because, well, I didn’t have any interest in going, but I don’t fault him for putting his name on it. Why not? Works for him I guess and you’ve got the curiosity factor from Bachelor fans.