The Bachelor 25 - Matt

The “Bachelor” Matt – Episode 5 Recap, Dylan Goes Ham on the Franchise (Then Deletes), Victoria’s Hypocrisy & (EXCLUSIVE) Is Matt Engaged?

Photo Credit: ABC

-We’re not :10 seconds into the episode, and the bullying has started already. Victoria is walking outside the resort with someone and they pass two the new girls – I think Michelle and Catalina – and we hear Victoria bad mouth them again, complaining about OG vs the newbies. Victoria is also convinced her and Matt have a strong connection when us as the viewing audience has seen nothing of the sort. She’s delusional, she’s been a bully on the show, and yet her response has been that everyone there knew what she was about, they knew she was joking, and it’s all good. Maybe I’ve missed something and it’s very possible I have because I don’t follow every girl this season, but has ANYONE from this season taken to social media to defend Victoria, call her a sweetheart, say her edit was completely overblown, and they’re all friends? Anyone? There were 31 other women who at least met her the first night. Then later on 5 more came in. Unless I’m missing something, I haven’t seen one person take up for her. Case closed.

-Matt comes in and address the environment in the house and isn’t thrilled with what he’s heard. He says it’s been a mob mentality of us vs them. Talks about belittling someone for you to shine, and that’s not what he’s looking for in a wife. This whole time Anna knows Matt is basically speaking directly to her and if she didn’t already have a look on constipation on her face, she does now. She knows she’s busted as Matt goes and talks to Brittany first. Brittany is crying, says she’s never felt like this before, and Matt apologizes for what she’s had to endure. She says she didn’t sign up to be bullied and harassed. As I’ve said all summer, no one does. However, there’s a good chance one will be because Toxic Bachelor Nation has no idea how to watch a television show without running to IG accounts of contestants and shout them down. Maybe some year they’ll learn.

-Matt pulls Anna aside and at least Anna knows what she did is wrong and is apologetic from the get go. She never made an excuse, she never tried to pin it on someone else, and she apologized for what she said about Brittany. More than I can say for how Victoria has handled things, both on the show and even now, months later when she’s had plenty of time to dissect it. Anna: “I’m so upset with myself…before coming here…heard things about Brittany from others…the worst thing I could say, I said.” Matt ends up sending her home, as he should’ve. Anna at least had some saving grace last night because she didn’t leave pissed off blaming someone else. Now, the comment she made about hearing stuff about Brittany pre-show, could very well be possible. Again, Chris Harrison specifically said in the beginning of the season intro’ing the girls that Kaili’s job in Chicago as a bottle service girl had her involved in one of the major storylines this season. We saw none of that, only Anna mentioning the escort stuff about Brittany. Maybe Anna and Kaili both talked about it, as both are from the Chicago. Maybe one brought it up first to the other and Anna took the reigns and ran with it. I guess we’ll never know unless one of them addresses it. But Chris Harrison never would’ve said that in the intro if Kaili had no part of the storyline. We just don’t know who brought it up first.

-The thing about Anna at this point (who has shut off the comments on her IG), is I’d really love to dive into everything she said last night. She kept saying “I made a mistake,” “I never should’ve said that,” “worst thing I could’ve said,” etc. Which I’m sure is how she felt and was true. However, WHY did she say it? We know she knows she shouldn’t have, but so WHY did she then? I think we all know the answer, but for her to have any shot of ever being on BIP, do you really think she’ll tell us the real reason? Of course not. She’ll fall on the sword and won’t say she was either tricked/coerced/forced to bring it up by production. Yes ultimately it falls on her. Whatever they said to her, it was still ultimately her decision to verbalize it. But time and time again, we’ve heard contestant after contestant after contestant (long after their contract is up), explain that sometimes, well, you don’t really have a choice. They aren’t thinking of the ramifications in the moment. But now she sees them. Most of America doesn’t think highly of her, she’s losing IG followers, and she’s had to shut off her comments. Probably not the experience she hoped to gain from this show.

-Guess what? More Victoria drama. Ryan (one of the new girls) goes to Matt and tells him she feels like she hasn’t been accepted since she arrived, and that because she was a dancer, Victoria called her a “ho.” Matt says there’s no excuse for that type of behavior and goes to Victoria to confront her. Victoria, with her bra visible yet again out of her dress, said that comment was “being completely taken out of context.” Matt: “What other context would that be taken in?” Victoria has no answer, she’s a mess, she’s crying, she’s saying she doesn’t know what she’ll do if she goes home, and everyone at home can’t believe what we’re witnessing. It’s at this point that America is starting to breathe a sigh of relief because we’re seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

-Rose ceremony time. Michelle, Bri, and Pieper safe with roses. Matt has absolutely nothing to say to anyone before the roses start coming:

Brittany, Ryan, Rachael, Serena P., Magi, Kit, MJ, Jessenia, Katie, Abigail, Chelsea.

“Ladies, Matt, it’s the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. Wait, what the f**k? We’re shooting next season in Canada? In March and April? How the hell am I ever gonna get to play a round of golf unless it’s on a sheet of ice and with an eskimo?” Ok, maybe not that cold, but you get my point. Sorry Chris. Might actually need to earn your $60k per episode next season.

Serena C.

One thing about not having the elimination spoilers this season is, especially on episodes like this when 4 girls don’t get roses, sometimes I have to go back in my notes to look and see, “Wait, who didn’t get a rose?” Obviously I knew Victoria didn’t right away. But Mari, Catalina, and Lauren I had to double check. Yep. Gonzo. I think it’s safe to say that Mari not even making the top 15 this season has to be the biggest shock of them all. Total non-factor outside of winning that group date award. Don’t remember a thing she ever said or did. Just surprising, really.

1. jlal

February 2, 2021 at 8:27 AM

I think he keeps MJ. Also, if I remember correctly didn’t MJ hang a little with Victoria and participate in some of the mean girl talk?

2. crushonspivey

February 2, 2021 at 9:13 AM

Said it before, and will say it again–there is a Victoria level clown every season. IT is part of the formula for this show. It happens like clockwork to the point it seems that person is cast in that role. On the payroll. Just like Victoria this year. And Fleiss and co you need to stop it. Or at least boot them by epi 3. Let the normal drama take over.

The real life drama is what interests me, Like what we saw last night at the farm. Girls that were into Matt getting insecure and jealous of his connection with other girls. Having to see him kiss other girls and be ok with it. That is some real life stuff. It is legit and not contrived. That is the best stuff to watch, to see how they handle that.

I hate the contrived BS. This show needs to stop it. The real stuff is where it is at because it brings out real emotion, and that is what makes for good TV. Guys compartmentalize that stuff more so the Bach’ette is often more dull to watch, but the girls often don’t, and it is what makes the Bachelor a better show when TPTB let it be.

Stop pitting girls against each other, and just let the natural stuff happen. It is good enough.

February 2, 2021 at 10:45 AM

I think this is the part of the show where I often comment about how horrible the women are and what a train wreck the season is. Certainly, at this point, that couldn’t be more true this season. But, after the mean girls get culled from the herd, you do end up with the few where there are actually connections. So, it improves. But there are still a lot of unnecessary girls left on the show that they need to quickly get rid of. The worst part about this season is that, not only are there more than a couple mean girls, but there are just too many girls overall. Bringing in those extra 5 girls, I’m sure was to add the extra drama of their appearance and bullying. But it really just bloated the show up with too many girls. I vote for them never doing that again. And the show is just so disjointed that there is very little focus on Matt & the girls who he actually relates to. Also, it’s going to be a major disappointment for the loonies when Matt doesn’t get down on one knee at the finale. I hate to say it, but this looks like a potential bottom 5 level season. I don’t blame Matt. I think he’s doing the best that he can. I blame it on the unlikeable girls and terrible decisions by Production. They’re just putting together a really crappy show.

4. joanne

February 2, 2021 at 5:21 PM

I completely agree with you rob22. This season has been mostly awful. I record it and then fast forward later.

Part of the problem is the show rewards bad behavior. Even ff I could see how much air time Victoria was getting. Meanwhile very little for Bri, Michelle and some of the other likeable ones.

Kudos to Matt for how he handled Anna and Victoria. Her exit was the worst I’ve seen, and I’m glad no one, including Matt, hugged her. It would have been so phony.

Matt treated Anna with respect,saying she’s not a bad person but needed togo. And she handled it in a mature way and took responsibility for her actions.

5. ladyjane747

February 3, 2021 at 2:16 PM

I thought Cassie from Colton’s season was dating some singer. If not, she’d make a good Bachelorette with a good backstory. From this season, I like Pieper; Matt seems to like her too, so I’m not sure why people who don’t know the spoilers never mention her as a contender. Magi is gorgeous, but she and Matt seem more on the friend level. If Matt doesn’t propose to Rachael, is that going to put him on Juan Pablo’s level? Isn’t that one of the reasons why Production hated JP so much? Also, Victoria mentions she was joking and she was being funny – she’s not funny at all, just annoying. I think some people on IG mentioned that it looks like MJ goes because the other girl, can’t remember her name right now, is in the previews on a one-on-one date.

6. rozefly

February 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM

Blimey Steve – put some effort into your research… we’ve seen season previews of Jessenia on a 1-on-1. MJ goes home.

I recommend everyone goes and checks out ‘Bachelor Fantake’ on youtube. He’s hilarious, puts actual effort and fun into his video recaps and research and has THE BEST clips and memes to splice in which will defo have you loling.

You’re welcome.