The Bachelor 21 - Nick

The “Bachelor” Nick Episode 5 Recap Incl The Reality Steve Fan Appreciation Party Details Are Set

-We began with, what else, the Taylor vs Corinne feud from their conversation in Wisconsin. Corinne brings up the “emotional intelligence” line that Taylor has dropped on her, but basically doesn’t want to listen to what Taylor has to say about it. So during this conversation, when they cut away to Corinne’s ITM’s, we see her calling Taylor “a dumb b**ch,” “gross,” and “nasty.” Taylor basically just calls Corinne immature and is annoyed by the fact she doesn’t listen. So all the Bachelor alums (and everyone for that matter) that are always preaching no bullying, women need to stick up for women, and just everything about promoting women all day every day (and there are plenty of them out there), just explain to me how Corinne is getting love on the show now? Sure, you may think a couple of her lines are funny. But Jesus, how many times did she call Taylor a b**ch last night? Or a “dumb b**ch.” I’m not lying, it was close to 10. And she said it for no reason. Not because she actually meant it. I mean, maybe she did, I can’t read her brain. But she did it for camera time and to get a reaction of people. Villains in the past like a Courtney, or an Olivia, or a Vienna, or even a Kelsey Poe might’ve been mean or had harsh words in their ITM’s, but I truly do not remember them calling someone else in the house a b**ch over and over and over again. It was totally unnecessary. And all because Taylor questioned her intentions on the show, which are clear to everyone else watching? The people promoting Corinne out there I have to scratch my head at. I don’t get it. It’s not the word she used. It’s how many times she used it and the meaning behind it. She’s calling Taylor a bully?

-Yes, you know me. For 13 years I’ve done nothing but make fun of, mock, and scold this show for being utterly ridiculous, taking none of it seriously. But there’s something to be said for the producers of this show allowing a girl to call another girl a b**ch that many times over and over again just for effect. Because lets face it, that’s what it was. I’m sure the Corinne supporters feel like I’m overreacting, but seriously, wake up. That wasn’t humorous. That wasn’t funny. Nor was it the least bit entertaining. It was embarrassing. I would say the producers should be ashamed of themselves, but they have 32 previous seasons on their track record to prove that. Make fun of someone’s outfit. Or how emotional they get on the show. Or some stupid thing they say. Those are the funny ITM’s. Not drilling home “Taylor is a dumb b**ch” until you’re blue in the face. It served zero purpose other than to get a rise out of people. And yes, I get that’s what the producers do. But in my eyes, completely crossed the line last night and proved what a bunch of spineless, soulless assholes they are. But hey, I’m preachin’ to the choir.

-Once she was done b-bombing Taylor til the day was long, Corinne heads over to Nick to tell him what happened because of course she did. “I care so much about you…the girls are weird towards Taylor…she’s not nice in the house…she’ll ignore people…” to which Nick listens to, then stops her by putting his tongue in her mouth. Nick is a damn good little puppet this season, isn’t he? One of the best ones they’ve had. Just eating right out of the palm of their hands. And I’m sure when Corinne is on the “Ellen” show today they’ll yuck it up, have a few laughs, she’ll blame it on the editing and make excuses for her behavior, because that’s what someone who’s clueless like her does. She. Does. Not. Get. It. And probably won’t for a while. I wouldn’t expect any sort of apology to Taylor during her “Ellen” appearance or even at the WTA. Because that’s not her character. And even if she does, something makes me think it’ll be half assed one. She’s getting all the publicity this season, half of Bachelor Nation is turning and is now TeamCorinne, which is just flat out embarrassing considering these are the same people every season that can’t take criticism, hate online bullying, and are always saying, “You know, we’re are real people with real feelings.” Gotcha. Well in my book, anyone who’s stood up for that in the past, yet is laughing or promoting what Corinne is doing, your credibility is now shot. At least with me. Off my soapbox…

-Right before the rose ceremony starts, I’m bringing this up because it was tweeted at me and I got two emails on it almost immediately after it happened. And since it seems to directly contradict one of my spoilers, might as well address it. When Nick is talking to the women, you see Danielle L. and Vanessa arm in arm as well as Danielle L. resting her head on Vanessa’s shoulders. This was the group date after party where I told you that Vanessa used some of her time with Nick to call Danielle L. out for being fake. So obviously, the natural reaction from some of you out there was, “If Vanessa just called Danielle out and she knew about it and it was a topic during that date, why is she right next to Vanessa arm in arm like it’s all good?” There could by a myriad of reasons. Maybe Vanessa then told Danielle L. to her face and they talked it out. Maybe that’s why Danielle L. pulled Nick aside first at that after party even though she had a rose, to get out in front of what was being said about her. Maybe they got over it. All I know is it did happen, it was a point of contention during that group date after party, and the show chose not to air it. It happens. Happened in the past, happened this episode, and will happen in future episodes. Nothing more I can say other than that. As always, those who think Vanessa walks on water and is Nick’s soulmate and they will be married until the end of time, will choose not to believe it happened. Those that can see every spoiler I’ve given so far this season has been right will use their brain and not make excuses for someone they like. Simple as that.

-Rose ceremony time. Danielle L., Kristina, and Raven safe with group date roses. Nick comes into the barn of freezing women who look like Rose at the end of “Titanic” with purple lips and the ability to see their own breath. Nick: “Thank you…amazing week…meaningful…big decision…tough decision…real connections forming…apologize…heart’s leading me in a different direction…if you can wait here real quick, let me unattached these strings from my body that the producers are using to control me this season. There we go. Ok, where was I?”

Whitney: I think Whitney has gotten more roses this season so far (4) than words spoken in any episode.
Danielle M.: Has Wells put her on his radio show yet being BFF’s?
Jasmine: I think her exit next week is gonna be prettay, prettay, prettay good.
Rachel: I can’t wait to meet daddy to see what he thinks of this silliness.
Jaimi: I love the fact that the show totally decided to save a little coin and make sure she got dumped in her hometown of New Orleans.
Josephine: She probably is funny and goofy but we wouldn’t have the slightest clue since there are about 6 people who get camera time on this show.
Vanessa: Orange couch, shmorange couch. Pssssh. So stupid.
Alexis: Does she show up to BIP in a shark costume? She has to, right?
Corinne: Blah.

“Ladies, Nick, it’s the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. Can you hurry it up already. My balls have shriveled up and disappeared in this Wisconsin weather.”

Taylor: The stay of execution. If she knew what was coming, my guess is she would’ve gladly not taken a rose in Wisconsin.

January 31, 2017 at 10:35 AM

I think RS missed the point of beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde. You go there with a hangover for a mainline of sugar and caffeine. It doesn’t even matter if they’re good. I think they are good as long as you don’t let them sit too long. After a bit, the grease starts to run off the beignet and it loses it’s appeal. But that’s all beside the point of going there. It’s New Orleans. If you’re at Cafe Du Monde, you have a serious hangover that needs immediate attention.

2. crushonspivey

January 31, 2017 at 12:41 PM

I hit saturation point with Corinne last night. I had found her schtick amusing for a while, and enjoyed seeing her get under the skin of the more insecure and immature contestants (Taylor, Sarah, Kristina), but last night was too much. And now her ability to amuse is gone, so she needs to go. Time to cancel The Corinne Show.

I do blame the producers as well. They are still struggling to learn that less is more, except in the episode where the contestant is going home. Then, let them go down in a blaze of glory of their own making.

The editors gave her too much time, it distracted from anyone thinking Nick is actually going to find love on this show, and I honestly started getting bored with the episode. And so did my wife, who is ratings target gold for this show.

Hoping the show is about to transition soon to seeing which connections develop. Not holding my breath.

3. purplerayne

January 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Dude, fried dough is the best! I understand Steve is a donut guy, but you cannot knock down beignets! Its like knocking down pies bc you prefer cake.

I am OVER Corrine. Yes, Taylor is unaware of her stank faces and her manner of speech. BUT Corrine’s flippant way of behaviour and her mean verbal attack on Taylor just put me over the edge. She’s not entered Chad territory, where the villain is no longer enjoyable to the show.

January 31, 2017 at 2:10 PM

For me, Corrine’s shelf life was 2 episodes. I’m WAY over it. There are not any REAL looking relationships forming. It’s all paint by numbers stuff. “I’m falling in love with you”. “He’s so good looking”. “I could see myself with her”. Snore. The thing is, despite all of the show’s fakeness, usually there were one or two that were into the lead and the lead was into them. So, at least you’d have something sort of nice going on in between all the drama and sleeziness. I’m still equating Nick with Juan Pah-Blow. Like our buddy Juan on his season, Nick does not appear to be super into any of the girls. Of course, he’s lining up three of them for the fantasy suites. That’s the whole gig as far as he’s concerned. But, for him, the last two episodes are going to be the test to see whether his acting classes did any good. He’s going to have to fake it hard when he has to pretend to fall in love and propose to someone. It would be crazy funny if he started looking in the other direction and mumbling when he was “proposing”. If he does, everyone has to down a small glass of Mezcal. The worm is optional.

January 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM

@crushonspivey: I’m with you. But is Corrine distracting from a love story, or was Corrine allowed to stay so long & given so much air time precisely because there isn’t a love story to talk about? I’m pretty sure it’s the latter. I’m sure they’ll pull something together to look like a happy ending. But it won’t be real. I feel like they have a long way to go to make it plausible that Nick and Vanessa have anything going on. Ah, the wonders of editing. I think this is a big reason why any Vanessa related problems in the house will not be shown. They can’t afford to trash her & still pull together the required proposal and love story finale. She’s going to get a squeaky clean edit.

6. kimmyfromdablock

January 31, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Let me pile on the “over Corinne” bandwagon. The whole schtick is getting old, but I must say that the outrage over the repeated “*itch” references doesn’t really matter. We all know this show sells everyone out and doesn’t have much in the way of scruples. Let’s also face it, if this was a man consistently referring to another man as an a-hole, no one would really care. It would just be guys being guys and we’d call the offending guy a jerk.

I can’t imagine how my father would react to me bringing a guy home like Nick. The fact that he mumbles when he talks, often times puts his hands over his mouth when speaking and has a difficult time making direct eye contact for more than a few seconds….would put some big red flags up for any parent.

I also believe Taylor has made a complete mess of herself on this show. Not a great look for someone in a helping profession who is probably looking to build a clientele. She came off as arrogant, patronizing and immature. The fact that she got herself into this mess or allowed herself to be so manipulated by professionals is indicative of her immaturity, not her degree.

7. teenie26

February 1, 2017 at 6:20 AM

I will defend beignets to my death – they are the best! Aside from that, does anyone know if Corinne is the first person to ever make it to hometowns without having had a prior one-on-one date? It just seems strange – like she really is just a producer pick.

8. ctrealitygirl

February 1, 2017 at 8:18 AM

I agree with everyone! I always set my DVR and half watch the episodes while reading or doing crosswords, then watch the taped version the next night, fast-forwarding thru all the crap. But this episode was such a snooze fest that have not bothered to re-watch it. And I dozed off and missed most of the 2-on-1 date and have no interest in watching it. It seems to me that the whole season has been based around Corinne and her antics, her feud with Taylor WAY too many ITM’s. I, too, miss the days when the Bachelor at least made an attempt to show a love story in the making. But each season it gets farther and farther away from that format. The one thing that i find satisfying is that (according to Steve) Corinne does not get to the fantasy suites. I cannot wait to see Nick turn down her offer to have sex. I hope the folks at ABC read these comments and make some attempt to stop focusing on villains and go back to centering on the dates. And why have there been so few 1-on-1’s this year?? The format used to be two 1-on-1’s and one group date until later in the season when they got to the 2-on-1. Way too many goofy group dates this season, and the lamest one yet was that haunted house date. Ugh.

9. realiteacheck

February 1, 2017 at 10:43 AM

I’ve never felt compelled to comment until today. Steve – You are spot on with your Corinne analysis. Please ABC, we’re all done with her. She’s not funny to watch (never thought she was to begin with) and she’s certainly not original. Every season, there will be a new villain to talk about and I find that the villain character is now old and played out. Yawn. It’s the public viewer that fuels the fire and keeps characters like her on the show. When will we ever learn to just stop talking or caring about them?

I don’t understand the fascination with her or her character because it is so easy to play the villain on reality TV. Think about it: what normal, sane person would ever want to live with that reputation for the rest of their everyday lives? If you volunteer yourself for this role, all you have to do is say whatever random, cruel thing comes to your mind (without reason) and do whatever the heck you want. Half the time the producers are supplying the villain with everything they need to act in a certain way – everything from context to alcohol to coaching. So, I guess good for Corinne to take the easy way out?

10. kathscof

February 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM

I love beignets, and am over Corrine…I literally fast forward whenever she talks….

The best part about last night’s show was the Luke and Josh beauty and the beast teasers and the new trailer!