The Bachelor 21 - Nick

The “Bachelor” Nick Episode 6 Recap incl What the Hell Was All That Last Night?

Photo Credit: Variety

-The group date begins with 6 girls (Rachel, Raven, Corinne, Danielle M., Vanessa, and Jasmine) boarding a catamaran and sailing to Abi Beach for a day of fun and games…and some seriously wonky editing. On the boat ride over, Nick asks a couple either or questions because they must’ve been bored senseless. “Christmas or Halloween?” “Chocolate or Vanilla?” Not sure why, but Vanessa felt the need to shout all the answers at the top of her lungs like a 5 year old wanting attention. That was weird. But seriously, Christmas or Halloween? Is that even a question? Is it possible people even answer Halloween on that one? My sister’s birthday is on Halloween and I don’t even think she would choose that over Christmas. I guess this was just a time killer as we got to the real “fun” part of the group date, which was basically to make everyone have the worst time possible on this date.

-The funniest part about the volleyball date (and we’ll get to the editing in a minute) is the fact that a lot of these girls were on the group date in Wisconsin and they all had this peppy, upbeat outlook on the date. Remember girls? You were all willing to do whatever it took, embrace the day, even if it meant shoveling sh** just to impress and be by Nick? Do you all remember back, you know, a week ago in real time? Well here you are now, playing a game of beach volleyball in your bikini’s, there’s 7 less girls on this date than there was on that date, meaning that you’ll ultimately get more time with him alone during the after party, yet they acted as if they were told they needed to dig ditches and pick up trash the whole time. Pretty ironic. So they’d rather milk cows and shovel manure in Wisconsin than play volleyball on the beaches of St. Thomas. Toooooootally makes sense to me. I mean, who wouldn’t? Then again, the editors made this date out to be something that it wasn’t, which was quite ridiculous.

-The whole volleyball date didn’t make any sense in the context that they showed us. From what they showed us, they started playing, score WAS being kept on the sidelines, but then all the sudden the girls started doing their own thing, Corinne is quitting in the middle of it getting a drink, and others just stopped playing to go sit under trees and sulk. Over what, we have no idea because it was never shown. As reported in the spoilers, the teams were told whoever won would get extra time with Nick and the losing team would be sent back to the hotel. Something they’ve done numerous times in the past on group dates, so it was nothing new. Yet, they never showed that. They just showed Vanessa and Danielle M. (two who were both on the losing team) off by themselves crying, then us hearing Nick basically say the date ended up being a disaster. I have no idea why they never showed the premise of the volleyball game and what really happened since, like I said, it’s not like we haven’t seen this numerous times before on a group date in previous seasons where a losing team had to go back home. It is certainly possible they were covering for Vanessa again, as after the Wisconsin group date when they decided not to show her and Taylor turning on DLo and the others confronting them about it. Anything’s possible at this point. But again, something we’re never gonna get an answer to as to why it wasn’t shown the way it really happened.

-After commercial break, they immediately skipped to the after party where all 6 girls were there. Nick pulls Rachel aside first and judging from her conversation and her saying, “I didn’t like the way things went down,” surely a strong case can be made for the fact that she was upset Nick decided to allow the losing team to join the after party when the initial rules said the losing team would return to the hotel. There’s really nothing else it could’ve been since, well, that’s what happened. Rachel even uttered the phrase “It was a competition…” when speaking to Nick. So she was clearly bothered by the fact the rules were changed by Nick once the Rachel, Raven, and Corinne team won. And boy, what a game that must’ve been. How bad are Vanessa, Danielle, and Jasmine if they lost to a team that had a three sheets to the wind Corinne on it? You’re basically playing 3-on-2 and you still couldn’t beat them? Just for that alone you deserved to be sent back to your hotel rooms with no dinner. Go in your room and stay there until I tell you to come out!

-The one who really had an issue on this date was Jasmine. We see .5 seconds of Nick’s alone time with Vanessa, and we saw him walking hand in hand with Raven but got none of his conversation with her either. It was all about Jasmine at this point and her basically feeling ignored by Nick and she needs some sort of validation he still wants her around. Everyone else there has either gotten a group date rose or a 1-on-1. She’s gotten neither and she’s none too happy. And she’s about to say something to Nick, so batten down the hatches, because Hurricane Jasmine is about to huff and puff and blow your house down. So when Jasmine gets her time with Nick, she confronts him and tells him she’s confused. Everyone’s had a 1-on-1 or a rose, she likes him a lot, feels she’s being overlooked, she hasn’t had that validation from him yet, she wants that, it sucks, does he not notice her…and then she starts crying. She says she wants reassurance like everyone else has had, then gets all weird on him by playfully saying she wants to choke him. She calls it the Chokey. Nick calls it “not foreplay,” has zero interest in her choking games, and realizes they aren’t on the same page. Maybe Jasmine needs a Christian Grey in her life for her little sex games. Nick wanted none of it. Or again, it could’ve been his excuse to send someone home he knew was leaving before they ever arrived in St. Thomas.

-He tells her he realizes they aren’t on the same page and needs to let her go. Asks if he can walk her out, she says yes, then takes a couple shots at him in an ITM by saying, “I don’t think he knows what he really wants…it’s not gonna work for him.” But yet again, a major part of this storyline was left out as Jasmine told him after he let her go that she previous had hooked up with one of his friends in the past. Not sure why she said it, exactly what point in the conversation it came out, what Nick’s reaction was or what, but it was definitely brought up by her. I’d say that would’ve been a nice little juicy nugget to get from Jasmine as she heads out the door, no? But then again, they’ve not shown quite a few things this season that did happen, so I guess we can just chalk another one up to them being weird and something we’ll never get an honest answer to. That’s what I’m here for. Your honesty about the show. Honest Steve. Thanks. I do my best. And for those asking, no, I never heard who the guy is that Jasmine is referring. Well, I take that back. I did hear one name thrown out there, someone from this franchise, but it’s not nearly solid enough for me to run with. Sorry.

1. SeaDub

February 7, 2017 at 9:46 AM

This show has become horrifically stale and it’s because it is so forced and over produced. I’m barely making it through this one and am done after this…unless they make Rachel the bachelorette.

2. kimmyfromdablock

February 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM

I am also finding this season a total snoozer. None of the girls are very interesting and the Corinne thing has been played out. I’m with @SeaDub…Rachel would make an intelligent and compelling bachelorette.

I find Nick’s personality to be incredibly dull. For a 36 year old man, he seems to not have found himself aside from deciding to wear shrunken clothes and getting a six-pack. He’s right up there with the most boring Bachelors — Juan Pablo and Ben Flajnik.

Vanessa thus far bores me. I don’t see the connection. I also don’t find Raven to be very attractive (which I understand has nothing to do with nothing). Raven seems about one foot away from the “cash me ousside how bout dat” girl.

3. purplerayne

February 7, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Rachel n Raven seem very clique(y) so it doesnt surprise me they would group together against Vanessa. Saying this as a big Rachel fan! Im a bit weary of women who group together to shun others out on this show. They teamed up on Brit on Chris’ season, calling her fake and a wanna be actress. YET she was the only one post show, NOT selling vitamins or flat irons LOL

The edit seems to have been great for ALL the women. Even Taylor didnt have it as bad as it couldve been.

4. purplerayne

February 7, 2017 at 11:29 AM

The social media following on Rachel worries me. She’s getting a VERY good edit, she is well liked by the media and Bach Nation, but she barely has any IG or Twitter followers. YIKES. Even that girl Sarah has more social engagement. Not good. I dont want to scream racial bias…but seems the avg bach followers arent that enamored by her as I am :/

5. crushonspivey

February 7, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Dumping DLo was stupid. She was pretty, and nice. should have kept her around at least 1 more episode, maybe 2. She had B’ette potential in a year that few do.

Rachel is boring. As a fellow lawyer, yeah, dull. Not seeing it. Should have gone with Danielle Lombard as a first. She would have been one too. She would have pulled more guys in too. Sorry, but Rachel will not be a huge draw for the guys. She is nice and pretty, but lacks an “it” factor.

The edit this year has been awful. Way too much Corinne, and not enough other girls. The formula is super stale. The ridiculous girls get too much time. It just isn’t funny anymore. This franchise thinks way more is often more, and they do not know when to stop. That Stop sign 3 episodes ago and they finally pumped the brakes this week.

Honestly, I hope Nick ends up alone. Just not seeing a connection with any girl now. It’s a farce to begin with, but at least in previous years it seems like the lead has real connections with some girls. This year, just nothing. It is bad.

February 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Well, for once I don’t have a lot to add to what everyone else has been saying. This season is a snoozer. I made it 15 minutes into yesterday’s episode & went to sleep. Gotta watch the rest today…. unless… eyes… getting…. heavy. Snoooooore. It is pretty embarrassing for Nick that he’s still basically a 22 year old skirt chaser at 37 years old. Sadly, he seems proud of it. But heck, the Kardashians embarrass themselves every single episode & look where they are now. There’s a formula there, I guess. But I really don’t understand why anyone would want to humiliate themselves to gain a Social Media following so they can pimp out ads for penis enlargement & fake news sites. Isn’t that market already saturated?

7. renelson23

February 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM

This is the worst season yet and that is saying a lot after some of the other icky ones – I think they made a huge huge huge mistake casting this clown…JMHO

8. valadega

February 7, 2017 at 1:43 PM

ABC should be ashamed of themselves for subjecting us the loyal viewers to this mess. Nick as The Bachelor has been a disaster, what a clunker series this time. I don’t get any chemistry with him and any of these women. Whomever he picks is doomed to fail. Face it Nick, you are just NOT INTO these women!

9. RaRa

February 7, 2017 at 2:01 PM

After last night’s episode, I would really love to see Kristina become the next Bachelorette. She is classy, beautiful, has a compelling backstory, and is quite poised for her age.

10. caitlyn

February 7, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Steve, kissing booth that Josh Murray is doing is for charity, Enduring Hearts, for babies & kids with heart problems. He has done fundraising for them for years.

11. kathscof

February 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM

1) ponce city market is pretty cool….but you can see from the “famousness” of the other participants, it’s just a bunch of locals….nobody earth shattering..

And 2) HOW did these girls stink so bad at volleyball?!?!? Jasmine even said that she had never played volleyball in her life….they never took any PE class or gym? What did they do with all those hours in their school? And I’m sure they have been to a beach sometime in their life….isn’t volleyball like in the top 3 of beach activities with football and frisbee? My mind was blown…

12. yoyotono

February 7, 2017 at 5:25 PM

This whole episode was horribly edited regarding that group date. Just about every episode shows at least one girl “debating” whether or not to go home due to Nick’s actions. I became a Kristina fan after this episode. I agree that Jasmine was provoked to her reaction, which was expected. The choking joke thing was kind of weird though. I hope we get to see Alexis on BIP this summer.

13. cdorward

February 8, 2017 at 5:55 AM

Agree, volleyball scene was weird. Since when do they all separate and sit alone on a group date? Something happened, why wouldn’t they show it?
    RS, last week when they showed scenes for this week there was a scene of a group of girls dancing with Nick. Girls were in bikinis. It looked like Jasmine (I think) punched Nick. They never showed that scene. WTH?

14. allaboutme

February 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM

I must be the only one who doesn’t think Raven is as attractive as everyone else is making her out to be. However, I think her personality kicks ass and think she would make for an interesting and entertaining Bachelorette.
    It seems like this season is DRAGGING! Like the whole Liz issue seems like SO long ago – like not even on this season long ago! :-O

15. dogmomma

February 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM

I agree with all the previous posts. This season is painfully boring and I only watch about a third of it and then read the spoilers and comments. I never understood why people were excited to have Nick at the lead because his voice is obnoxious. All I can say is that the producers must be very good at their job to get these young women to fall in love with a boring 36 year old guy who has “been around the block a few too many times”.