Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” and One of Becca’s Guys in Some Serious Legal Trouble

Photo Credit: ABC

Hi Steve,

I was just wondering if you have any information on whether or not Dean Unglert and Kristina Schulman are back together.

Comment: I have not heard either way. But for her sake, I hope she’s not that stupid.
_________________________________

1. I know this whole Bachelorette gig is probably an overwhelming experience, but Becca doesn’t seem like an idiot. If Colton “dated” Tia and then ditched her to be on the Bachelorette, why would she keep him around? Producers doing? Or because he was one of the more attractive guys she was into? I’d see red flag immediately. I mean, come on… the chances that he and Tia dated? They don’t even live in the same city. I’d question his motives immediately. I agree. Pretty much what I stated yesterday. She didn’t question him hard at all. Did she honestly expect him to say, “Yeah, I still had feelings when I saw her.” Of course not, because she would’ve sent him home right then. She thinks he’s hot so she’s keeping him around. Pretty simple.

2. Read your recap and you mentioned having some dirt on another contestant. News outlets are no doubt going to pick this up and when they do, do you think ABC will address it? Why are they so bad at vetting some of these contestants? Do they not do background checks, check their instagrams or twitters, reach out to former employers to eliminate any potential PR disasters? I can’t answer why ABC sucks as bad as they do recently with their contestants backgrounds. But this sh** with Lincoln should’ve been found on any basic background search assuming they pay an outside company (or maybe even in house) to do it for them. He was charged in 2016. I’m not great with the legal system but I’m guessing that shows up somewhere when doing background on a guy, no?

3. Is Ben going to be the bartender in Paradise like Wells was? is he dating someone or not? No idea what Ben’s role is gonna be down there but he’s definitely going. And as of a few weeks ago he was definitely still seeing Lindsey Duke.

4. When does Paradise finish filming? You mentioned you’d be surprised if Tia & Colton weren’t engaged by the end of it. Any other couples that have emerged?

Comment: Paradise filming has been around 2 ½ weeks for each of the four seasons. Well, last season was about 12 days total after the shut down. When I know more, I’ll post it.
_________________________________

Hi Steve,

Would producers allow leads to have 5 hometown dates instead of 4, if they requested it? Or, are the number of hometown dates and overnights dates set in stone.

Comment: I don’t think anything is particularly set in stone because they can do what they want, but in 36 seasons of the show, I think only Jillian’s season had 5 hometowns vs 4, so I doubt it’ll change.
_________________________________

Hi Steve:

Thanks for doing what you do! Love your column.

Question about Jordan. He’s obviously very different, and you used the word narcissistic in Tuesday’s column which is probably accurate.

1) What are your thoughts of him in the manner that do you think that he is genuinely like that? I like he’s being egged on by a producer, he’s going along with it, and doesn’t have any self-awareness to realize how stupid he looks.

2) Do you actually think he is narcissistic, mental, disturbed, etc? I think his profession pretty much lends itself to him having an ego that’s a tad inflated, for sure. He’s just playing it up to the 100th degree.

3) And obviously because there’s obviously something wrong with him, or do you think he’s playing a character? What do you really feel? What I just said.

4) And regardless, producers had to have noticed something was off about him when they casted him. Do they not care that somebody might be mentally disturbed, or are they just out for ratings? I think I know your answer, but it’s really hard to imagine that somebody like him exists on the planet unless he’s playing a character?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Comment: Again, he’s playing his character up.
_________________________________

Hi Steve! I thought you had said that Clay was a consideration for Paradise, but I see he is still in the states right now. I’m SO hoping he is being considered for the next bachelor…do you think that is a possibility? Looks like he turned it down to focus on rehab and getting back in the NFL. Probably a smart move.

Also, I was wondering if Chris Harrison ever dated anyone from the franchise. I don’t follow him, but the last I heard, he was divorced and single. Wondered if you knew! Thanks!

Comment: Selma and AshLee Frazier.
_________________________________

Hi Steve,

Long time reader/podcast listener, first time emailer:). This question is not Bachelorette related so hopefully this is ok…I’m currently on maternity leave with our 2nd baby, which means I have quite a bit of down time on my hands and have become slightly obsessed with 24. I’m a quarter of the way through season 3 and really want to know which season is your favorite since you are a super fan. So far I really can’t pick…1 & 2 were literally cliffhanger city each and every episode and I probably have lost more sleep staying up to watch this show than actually tending to my newborn. I don’t know how you watched the show live and waited every week to find out what happened next!

Love the site and podcast…keep up the great work!

Sincerely,

Jack Bauer for President

Comment: Season 5 is pretty much been accepted amongst the “24” diehards as their best season. It’s the season that won Kiefer “Best Actor in a Drama” and won for “Best Directing.” It’s an awesome season from beginning to end. My favorite as well. But I’m biased because I loved all the seasons. Some I’ve just seen more than others, but because of when they came out and where TV was at at the time, there’s just nothing like it before or after. Definitely carved it’s own niche that’s for sure.

Yeah, once you binge watch, it certainly was hard only watching one episode a week. Luckily for you, you’ll never have to deal with that. I’ve ripped through seasons in a weekend before where I would do nothing but eat and watch the show. Those were the days. Glad you’ve become a fan.
_________________________________

Hi Steve,

Any chance you can further explain your comment in the episode 1 recap about Colton not being thrilled with the way things panned out with the season/paradise? Would he have rather stayed with Becca longer? Or was he hoping for the Bachelor gig? After seeing the “confrontation” with Tia, I was more confused yet more underwhelmed than ever. I love Becca this season, but c’mon… everything was so glossed over, and she didn’t even ask Tia if she’s over Colton (clearly not). Bizarre.

Thanks!

Comment: From what I heard, since that day at the spa, Colton and Tia weren’t in touch. But they will be come Paradise.
_________________________________

Hi!

I’m trying to find out what happens in “A Simple Favor” (book by Paul Feig, movie coming out with Anna Kendrick & Blake Lively this fall) because I just saw the trailer and really want to know!! I’d read the book but I’ve seen that it’s kind of bad from the reviews and can’t get to a library very easily here. I know you only do reality show spoilers but I’ve looked all over for a spoiler online and I can’t find one – would you be able to please please help?

Thank you!!

Comment: Movie spoilers now? Uhhhhhhh….
_________________________________

Hi Steve,

I hope this isn’t too late to make your reader emails for the week. Have you heard if any of the BIP contestants are going on the show with a boyfriend/girlfriend? I noticed Bekah has the same guy in her IG stories a lot, and he called her his girlfriend in a reply to someone on a post of his. I know this could mean nothing and that Bachelor people use this term loosely and don’t like to be exclusive, but I just wondered if you have heard anything about her or anyone else not being single at the start of paradise.

Thanks for your hard work!!

Comment: I was sent that stuff. I know about as much as you do regarding that. The pics seem to insinuate they’re together, but I guess it can’t be that serious if she’s down in Paradise going on dates with others. Guess we’ll see.
_________________________________

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

June 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM

RS is implying that The Bachelorette show should have known about Lincoln’s arrest. It’s possible that they could. But many background checks don’t include arrests, only convictions. And, in California, there’s a state law that doesn’t allow employers to ask for arrests. So, since The Bachelorette is California based, I doubt that a standard background check would get them arrest records. Arrests are public records, so it would still be possible for the show to uncover them, but they’d run a risk of running afoul of the state law. So my guess is that they only get convictions. Therefore, they would have had no visibility of Lincoln’s arrest. I’m personally OK with this mostly. Lots of people get arrested and either not prosecuted or later get acquitted. To get arrested, all you need is a police officer making a decision to arrest you. There’s often very little evidence gathered at the time of the arrest, and obviously there’s been no trial, etc. So an arrest could mean very little. Using arrest records has the potential of putting a lot of extra burden on someone who’s done nothing.

2. shenanigans

June 13, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Rob 22. This is all true. However, I suspect that the questionnaire Lincoln completed to be on the show specifically asked him to list any arrests on his record (regardless of the outcome of the case). If they asked that question and he didn’t disclose it, he is the one who violated their contract.

3. crushonspivey

June 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM

If Ashley Spivey keeps this up, she’ll unintentionally get the show cancelled. ABC is so uber lefty, this stuff won’t stand, right. I mean if Lassiter is going, they cancel shows over Twitter postings, why let the awful screening let the show go on? And in this 3metoo era, how does Bach in Paradise even make it on air. Booze + loose fame hungry skeezy contestants. What could else could go wrong?

4. upmyalley

June 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Well it seems Ashley and Steve have a new vocation of outing people. Of course I am outraged by the actions of the perp but I’ve lost all respect for RS and I think Ashley is just a nosy, arrogant gash who needs to focus on her own life. These recent happenings between Smashly the feminazi and Stevo leave a bad taste in my mouth.

5. tamara

June 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM

I am surprised by some of the hostile posts (calling ashley a gash?). Very sad to me. I think it is an important realization about Lincoln. Something seemed off to me about him all along. And Garrett’s likes show he is in agreement with those posts. they were not just conservative they were cruel and aggressive, rather than just having an opinion that differs from some folks. And then people judge Steve and Ashley for talking about it. Sad times, imho. no need to fight with me about this, please. not interested.

6. billhobbs23

June 13, 2018 at 8:32 PM

Not true…Federal AND State laws allow for OPEN cases to be included in consumer reports.

7. billhobbs23

June 13, 2018 at 8:34 PM

@shenanigans If the application was “employment” related, the prod co is NOT allowed to even ask about anything other than convictions.

8. tinyred500

June 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM

It could even be the franchises distributers Warner Bros., that cancel. Don’t forget it was them who ordered production to shut down last seasons BIP, and it was them who had an independent inquiry completed.

9. tinyred500

June 14, 2018 at 12:27 AM

Irrespective of what people think of their findings, because that’s a whole other story as we know. Both Steve and Ashley are now coming across as a couple of busy-bodies. Will they be conducting investigation’s into the female contestant’s for the Bachelor too?

I think crushonspivey comment about the shows/franchise getting cancelled could become a reality sooner rather than later, if this continues.

10. jlal

June 14, 2018 at 4:51 AM

Wow, upmyalley “gash”? That disgusting comment says way more about you than Ashley.

The show or BIP are not getting canceled because of Lincoln. Unless he assaulted Becca and I haven’t heard about it yet. The #MeToo and #TimesUp movementa are about sexual assault and harassment, and the marginalization of women which has gone on since the beginning of time in not just our society, but around the world. It has nothing to do with consenting single people getting their freak on.

Crshonspivey – Posting a racist Twitter post comparing an African American woman to a monkey, when you’re a TV star working for a network is it not even in the same category as Garrett. White people have been using the monkey comparison to marginalize and insult the black race since the beginning of time, especially in the US.

Garrett posted or liked stuff (from what I read since I don’t do social media, so not sure) that reflected his opinions about homosexuals and transgender people. While some may not agree with his opinions he didn’t personally denigrate someone because of their race. Many people have his opinion (if it is his) based on their religious beliefs which he is free to have; that is what this country was founded on. As long as he didn’t and doesn’t openly discriminate, as in denying someone a job, or selling them a home, etc. he hasn’t done anything wrong. And, his employer apparently didn’t have an issue with his posts; Roseanne’s did as did the sponsors of the show.

RS being puritanical in his judgements of others is nothing new; he has been that way since I started reading this site. Don’t know about Ashley and frankly don’t care about Ashley or her opinions.

11. jlal

June 14, 2018 at 5:06 AM

One more thing, as someone who has done background checks, things can be missed especially if someone lies. That being said, I bet after this they’ll be way more thorough in the checks.

12. doctordiva

June 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM

@Rob22 I’m wondering if there’s a difference between arrest vs charges vs convictions. Everyone who is arrested isn’t charged with a crime. Sometimes you are just brought in for questioning and if the circumstances don’t add up you will be let go. Lincoln was charged so he’s on file and the case is open. It should have shown up in court documents. I understand if they can’t go to police precincts and see who was arrested but he clearly had been charged with this, stood trial, and was merely awaiting a verdict. I feel like the show could’ve done a better job but I’m sure they will look more closely into these people from now on.

June 14, 2018 at 7:45 AM

@doctordiva: in California, the employment laws are much stricter than most of the rest of the country. So, I don’t know if they consider contestants “employees”, or not… it’s a gray area, for sure. But if they ran a background check, it would only likely include convictions, or they risk a lawsuit. Anyone could legally challenge them if they collected arrests on a background check. Likely whoever is doing the background check wouldn’t agree to include arrests either, because they could be put in legal jeopardy, as well. I doubt the suits at ABC would take the chance in gathering “iffy” data, anyway.

Now, the point was made that they could have asked whether contestants have been arrested. And based on the show’s latest comments, it look like they did, and Lincoln lied. So, again, RS is blaming the show for not knowing. If the background check legally could not include arrests, and Lincoln lied on the application, how is that the show’s fault? They did what they were legally allowed to do and Lincoln’s arrest did not show up. Definitely it’s Lincoln’s fault for lying. But since he was unpaid, I doubt there is much the show can do legally. He may have breached the contract, but he wasn’t paid. If the shows have decent ratings, it will be hard to show they were harmed. And they probably want the news to fade away…. any filings on their part just keep this in the news for months longer. So, I suspect that, like everything else, this topic will fade away. The media and gossip sites will move on to the next thing.

14. fishbelt

June 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Lincoln was convicted and has to register as a sex offender. Surprised Steve didn’t pick up on this.

15. fishbelt

June 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

TMZ had this scoop before Steve asked the SJW to copy and paste it. TMZ also had the Final Rose pics, Steve did not. Go to TMZ for all things scandalous about the Bachelor series.

16. upmyalley

June 14, 2018 at 6:24 PM

Fishbelt, tmz is indeed becoming a good source and it’s entirely possible that some of Stevo’s sources may decide they would like to be paid for their info. Wouldn’t that be a hoot!

17. upmyalley

June 14, 2018 at 6:29 PM

@tamera I only have one response. I don’t care what you or anyone else thinks, at all, about anything. I am 100% true to myself and those I love only. It works for me. Life is good. Bubye.

18. willowby

June 15, 2018 at 5:46 AM

Tamara, many people out there who agree with you. We’re just not as vocal and most probably don’t even read RS. I can’t look at Garrett now and not think of him as a hateful and ignorant. And for Becca to come to his defense and urge people to be “open-minded” is disturbing. The show must do better for its contestants. RS and Ashley and all the investigators are doing society a public service by outing these douchbags.

19. corn29

June 18, 2018 at 8:57 PM

@willowby

> I can’t look at Garrett now and not think of him as a hateful and ignorant

The only ignorant person here is you. Despite your SJW leanings, it’s still entirely possible to express an opinion and NOT have you or your ilk attack someone in return.

It’s a social media “like”. That’s it. Garrett has not indicated otherwise that he has discriminated against someone based upon any preferences or attributes about that person.

It’s just that Garrett’s personal preference is not aligned with LGBTQIA+ things.

That’s okay.

I get that you @willowby are an intolerant, hateful, person who makes assumptions about others instead of having mature and emotionally intelligent conversations about it. But that’s okay; I would never hold that against you like you do Garrett. Especially in a non-verbal, online, manner.

20. corn29

June 18, 2018 at 8:59 PM

@upmyalley

Totally agree.

WHO the F appointed Ashley the Bachelor hall monitor?

21. willowby

June 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Corn29. You seem nice. Look, what I’m saying is one does not arbitrarily click on “like” unless one agrees with what is posted. Those were some pretty intolerant memes he liked. That tells us a lot about someones values. I’m hardly intolerant or hateful, thank you very much. Quite the opposite. Have a great day!

22. upmyalley

June 19, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Plenty of syuff in the news lately about the current state of what the press calls “immigrants”. In my opinion they refuse to call people who enter our country illegally, illegals. Am i to be judged because I like immigrants but don’t like illegals if I like a meme about it? I just think it’s shallow to judge someone on their social media likes, especially someone you’ve never met. I probably woouldn’t like anyone based on that criteria. Just be true to yourself first.

23. upmyalley

June 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM

@corn29 Excuse my ignorance but what does swj stand for? Tia.

24. realitynyc12

June 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM

@upmyalley, to answer your question, yes you are to be judged, if you are so caught up in the term “immigrants” vs “illegals” that you don’t see that these are human beings too and while maybe yes, they shouldn’t try to get into this country illegally, they don’t deserve to have their children (of all ages!) Ripped away from them and put into cages like in a freaking concentration camp. And if you happen to watch that video where a guard is joking about all the noise children are making crying out for their parents as “orchestra”, and you feel nothing about that, then yes you will be judged as a person with no heart. How about that? Has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with basic human compassion which some people decided is no longer a requirement these days.

Probably not the smartest idea bringing this whole thing up as an example, when it has nothing to do with what is being discussed above anyway.

You have a nice day.