Podcasts

The “Bachelorette” Becca – Episode 6 Recap, “He Said, She Said” Episode 1 with Ashley Spivey, & Chris Has an Apology

Photo Credit: ABC

-In case you didn’t know, “Virginia is for Lovers.” I guess that’s their slogan and why they decided to visit their this season. Although, as I said previously, if they don’t go to Virginia twice last season (once for Lauren’s hometown, and again for Arie to ask for her back), I don’t think Virginia is a location stop on Becca’s season. Seems a little too convenient that they just went there twice last season and all the sudden the very next season they’re there for an episode. Not saying there’s anything wrong with that, just the timing seems to work out. I feel like looking back on when they were there in April, I had more pictures and info from this episode as it was airing than any previous episode maybe ever. From the first date of Jason’s 1-on-1, through the group date, to Leo’s concert date – not to mention all the Chris/Lincoln stuff that went down – this one was mapped out from the second they stepped foot there. Hell, even the sit down with Becca and Chris Harrison at Quirk Hotel there were pictures from. I wish more dates were like this.

-In her talk with Chris, Becca tells him she’s narrowed it down to a “bunch of good guys.” Ok, maaaaaaybe we can tap the breaks on that one a bit, Becca. I mean, Lincoln is still there and he’s a dumpster fire. Chris is a complete headcase that essentially has taken over these last two episodes to the point of someone might wanna step in and put a straight jacket over him. Colton wants to hook up with your bestie. So I wouldn’t say the WHOLE bunch are good guys. There are some decent ones left. I guess. But that’s 33% of them that you can pretty much kick to the curb now if you’d like. And does anyone really care about Connor at this point? The guy is abusive to the buttons on his own shirt, how do we expect him to be with a woman? So yeah, that’s 4 of the 9 Becs. Lets move this thing along. Although, we are only one episode away from hometowns, so that’s nice.

-It all starts once Jason gets the card for the first 1-on-1 date of the week. Chris wanted a 1-on-1, and technically still has a chance, so makes it known he’d like the other 1-on-1. Or even a 2-on-1. This starts a debate between him and Lincoln over what he said. It’s honestly one of the most childish, stupidest, irrelevant arguments we’ve ever seen on this show before. I don’t even know how to characterize it other than to say neither one of them won, neither one of them made a good point, and both started hurling insults for no reason. Chris talks about how he once lost 100 lbs, Lincoln called him a fat f**k, and was downhill from that point forward. It was exhausting. But once we were introduced to that, I hope you all realized what we were in for this episode. It was spelled out the day of the Beccalection on my Twitter feed, and what we saw last night, was basically a condensed version. The insults got pretty deep and neither guy accomplished anything productive.

-Jason’s date was interesting. At the time of filming, I had tweeted out they were supposed to go white water rafting, but the weather made it impossible. So what’d they do? Ummmm, they made donuts, they toured a museum then, get this, they went to the cemetery where Edgar Allan Poe’s mother was buried. Not where Edgar Allan Poe was buried, but his mother. Question: who the f**k cares about Edgar Allan Poe’s mother? When has she ever been talked about in history for anything? What an odd “historical Virginia fact” to point out on this date. About as random as you can get. Man, if only they would’ve visited the retail shop where Edgar’s second cousin from his aunt’s side once worked, I think we really would’ve gotten the local feel of Virginia. Enough with the history and geography lessons ABC, please. We don’t care where the mother of a poet from the 1800’s was buried and neither do Becca and Jason.

-How can I forget that they also visited the church where Patrick Henry delivered the “Give me liberty, or give me death” speech. Ok. Cool. Somewhat interesting. But this is the “Bachelorette,” not “Where is Carmen Sandiego?” We. Don’t. Care. After all these mini tour stops, we see these two visit a gothic Unhappy Hour. Again, I have no idea what the hell is going on or why they’re doing the things they do on this show. Safe to say, this date sucked. Big time. At least up til this point. They go into a bar where Becca has a “surprise” for Jason, as she’s invited 3 of his friends from Buffalo to join. Actually, she didn’t invite anyone. That would constitute Becca picking up the phone, calling three of his friends completely out of the blue, and booking them to come to Virginia to meet up with them for their date. Uhhhhh, that didn’t happen. But hey, she can pretend it did for the less informed.

-They share stories about how his friends loved her and she loved his friends and everything was happy happy joy joy. That was until Jason brought the room down and shared a sad story about his dad, his grandma having Alzheimer’s and seeing her son for the first time and not recognizing him. Yeah, it sucked to hear. Then Becca doubled down talking about her dad who died when she was 19, even though they were told when she was 14 that he only had 6 months to live. Can we get back to talking about Edgar Allan Poe’s dead relatives or something? This is all too depressing. Anyway, they end up going to the top of the tower of wherever the hell they were, and kissing. Also, we get a voiceover of Becca saying: “After tonight, I can see myself saying yes to a future with him.” Two VERY telling things about this. First, it was a voiceover. We don’t physically see her saying this, so we have no idea when she actually said it. Two, she never said a name during the statement, which makes me think it wasn’t about Jason. Womp womp.

1. supersparklyday

July 3, 2018 at 9:46 AM

I think Chris’s Apology Statement was awesome. I hope he sticks to it and shows well in Paradise. Good for him, though; it shows depth.

2. realitynyc12

July 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM

I think any deeply f-ed up person who posts death threats to someone because they didn’t like how they conducted themselves on a reality TV show, needs to be held accountable and have their Instagram accounts suspended systematically, enough of this insanity. Who the f do these ppl think they are to harass these people and write vile things about their mothers, etc. Disgusting. I feel bad for Chris and others having had to deal with that, can’t be easy.
    Its high time Instagram and other social media platforms develop a feature where death threats and similar language gets recognized and accounts from which it came get shut down (and owners IP addresses recorded so they can’t create new ones) Reporting these people isn’t enough, maybe if there are repercussions- these psychos will start to think twice before posting whatever comes to their disturbing empty heads without consequence.

Great apology by Chris, I think he’ll do fine on paradise. and to be objective, his behavior, while not his finest moments, wasn’t even nearly as bad as some of the other dudes like Jean Blanc, Jordan and “Smooth Criminal Lincoln”, who blatantly lied to make Chris look way worse than he did) So I honestly don’t even think he owes people as deep of an apology for that as he gave but good for him nonetheless, shows a lot of maturity.

3. corn29

July 3, 2018 at 11:25 AM

Becca’s shtick is getting old. How many times does she whine about letting other people dictate her moods?!

Are there no safe spaces on the Bachelorette get away to? Poor snowflake.

On three occasions now she’s brought a sour puss face to dates because of things other guys has said or done. I just don’t get why she gives away that kind of power to let other people to affect her moods in such a dramatic manner!

We get it. It’s a bad date. It’s a bad guy. It happens to thousands of people every day in the dating world.
    You’re not special in that regard. Just move on Becca!

July 3, 2018 at 12:53 PM

A pet peeve of mine is public apologies. All they are good for is gauging how aware the person is that they need to fall on the sword and not make excuses. Sure, the average bozo, especially from a show like this…. but hardly limited to reality TV… tries to somewhat justify their actions, make excuses, or worse, do the “sorry if I offended anyone” thing. So, those people get what they get, because they overtly reveal that they’re not really sorry through their non-apologies. It’s amazing how many people can’t admit they’re wrong and can’t even pretend that they do.

Chris is in the other category. His apology did take responsibility, and didn’t deflect blame or make excuses. So, I’m not saying that’s bad, but all it means is that somebody grabbed him by the ears and told him what he needed to do if he didn’t want to extend the cycle of hate he’s now experiencing (which is another issue altogether). It doesn’t mean he’s “really sorry”. It doesn’t mean he will actually change something. The whole apology is fairly meaningless. It’s meaningless because, #1, it’s a reality show, he broke no laws, he hurt nobody, and 3 days from now nobody will ever remember who Chris is, much less his apology. But #2, it doesn’t mean that Chris is really sorry and will or even wants to make any changes in his life. Odds are, this is who Chris is and will continue to be. But again, see #1. Nobody will care after the holiday, though they’ll be briefly reminded during MTA. Public apologies are just really dumb. Always.

5. adelina

July 3, 2018 at 1:15 PM

I thought that Chris’ “apology” post was lame given that he posted over and over again what he thought he SHOULD say and then accompanies said apology with a pensive posed picture against a wall. Gimme a break!! Overkill. Dude needs to say something as simple as “sorry I came off as such an a## on the show. Moving on…”

I’m going to doubt that he received many death threats. Dude just doesn’t have a real strong sense of self – it’s as simple as that.

6. jlal

July 3, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Call me crazy but Wills reminds me of the blond chick that had the real affected voice last season. She tried to say she had a sore throat or some such crap and everyone hated her. His half mast eyelids, voice, and manner remind me of her. Also noticed when Chris was making his last ditch effort he said “…you should feel..”, and “You can feel that way”, good of him to give Becca instructions on how she should and can feel. He also said me and I too many times to count. What a egotistical ahole.

7. jlal

July 3, 2018 at 3:29 PM

One question, what is a DM?

8. Caroll

July 3, 2018 at 3:56 PM

DM is direct message on Twitter. Private message.
    Google it.

9. jlal

July 3, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Thanks Caroll. I’m a Google freak, but had just read it in RS’s recap and just wondered.

10. elizabeth82

July 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM

“Becca is so fired up, even when her schnookie wookie dumpling head walks in the room, she asks if she can excuse herself for 5 minutes to clear her mind of all the nonsense Chris and Lincoln threw at her.” HA!

11. bearsiren

July 9, 2018 at 10:54 PM

Reality Steve needs to stop being such a bitch.