The Bachelor 21 - Nick

The “Bachelor” Nick Episode 8 Recap Incl “Women Tell All,” Scheduling Quirk for Next Week & Josh and Amanda News

Photo Credit: ABC

-Nick arrives in Dallas (damn, another hometown here and I missed it) and Rachel has their date planned. She’s gonna make like Hozier and take Nick to church. Get it? See what I did there? That really takes talent I tell ya’. I really see these two’s relationship blossoming on this date and they are headed for an engagement! I can just sense it. Oh wait. Nick reiterates that Rachel is the easiest person for him to feel like he can be himself around, but tells her although he’s nervous, he’s very comfortable at a place of worship. Yes, we can totally see that. Nick just fits right in at that church. Didn’t seem a tad out of place and really somewhere I know he would’ve absolutely been every Sunday with her. Got it, Nick. Right on. I feel ya’. I don’t know about you, but something tells me it was during that visit that Nick made his decision he wasn’t picking Rachel. Oh I’m sure he knew before that his connection with Vanessa was stronger, but I think being in that environment for a guy who self-admittedly had never seriously dated a black woman, I just don’t think he ever saw himself with her long term. That’s ok. Her next group of dudes might wanna get on board with that though.

-Rachel then informs Nick that her dad was unable to make this date due to work obligations. However according to Chris Harrison, he says “Rachel’s father is a federal judge and so could not appear on our television show.” To me, that means we shouldn’t expect to see him on the “Bachelorette” either, but whatever guy does propose to Rachel will most likely get to speak with him off camera somehow, just like Nick did. Although as the “Bachelorette,” her family doesn’t meet the men until it’s down to two when the family is flown to the site of the final rose ceremony location. Do we think the dad will be flown out, not get shown, but meet both men? I don’t know. I guess we won’t know until next season is over. But based on what Chris Harrison said, I wouldn’t expect to see Dad the Judge on next season either. Probably a good idea, pops. You don’t need to be appearing on this silliness anyway. Stick with being Judgey McJudgerson and don’t worry about the “Bachelor.” There are more important things in this world than your daughter getting to date 25 dbags.

-As Rachel and Nick approach her house, she makes it known again what they’re walking into. “Nick has never seriously dated a black girl, and I’ve never seriously dated a white guy and never brought one home.” No, that may be true. But big sis has. She married one. We get to meet Rachel’s family sans bid daddy, and it’s her mom Kathy, younger sister Heather, cousin Andrea, older sister Constance and her husband Alex. The white guy. Rachel: “In this family, you don’t need to have black skin, you need to have thick skin.” Preach. However, I’m a little concerned that the first 10 minutes of this date has focused on nothing but the fact that Nick is white and Rachel is black. I get that it’s a major talking point in their relationship, and I’m not so much concerned for them. We already know how their relationship turns out. I’m more concerned about what’s upcoming. It’s almost like they are planting the seed for next season that there will be some guy(s) in the house who won’t be down with dating a black girl. It’s just too easy of a storyline for them to pass up, and knowing how this show can manipulate situations, I can totally see this happening.

-Constance and her husband Alex sit down with Rachel and Nick and Alex wastes no time pointing out the obvious: He and Nick are both white. Nick says that Rachel is the first serious relationship he’s had with a black woman. They don’t show too much else of the conversation, other than by the end of it, everyone seems happy with everyone else’s answers. I think. Nick then goes and talks to Rachel’s mom and, whaddya’ know, guess what they talk about? Mom: “Have you ever dated a black woman before?” Nick: “I’ve gone on dates with black women before,” which might be the new “I’m not racist because I have black friends” line. One thing I think Nick did do to ease the public’s mind and make everyone feel comfortable was drop this well-rehearsed line on Rachel: “I’m not color blind. I know you’re black. But the reason I gave you the first impression rose was because of how easy we connected, my attraction to you physically, that you were just a very beautiful, impressive woman.” Very well done. And he’s right. Again, I can only pray that next season we get more of that and not the opposite.

-When Rachel talks to her mom, she tells her that she absolutely can see herself falling in love with Nick. She’s attracted to a lot of qualities about him and isn’t worried about his skin color. At this point, and even throughout the course of this whole date, it was more or less a foreshadow of what we can expect to see on her season. I mean, was anyone last night watching that night the least bit interested in Rachel and Nick knowing they don’t end up together? They didn’t HAVE to spoil Rachel last week, but they did. And now that everyone knows Nick doesn’t pick her, I think last night’s date with him would’ve been more powerful if people thought she actually had a chance. Forget the spoilers for a second that still would’ve been out there by me, but now that the show did it, I feel it took away from Nick and Rachel’s hometown date. Felt like none of it mattered between them, but I did feel we got a better sense of who Rachel was heading in to next season.

1. kimmyfromdablock

February 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM

I have 3 comments:

1). Every single home in hometowns needs an interior design makeover.

2). Vanessa is way enmeshed with her family and her mom’s tears over potentially enduring another heartbreak for Vanessa is downright pathetic.

3). Where did Andi Dorfman get her shoes?

2. RaRa

February 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM

I think you meant Hoxie, Arkansas. Raven doesn’t have nearly as thick a Southern accent as those who were born and raised in Alabama.

3. caitlyn

February 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Gag me, not Andi Dorfman, guess she needs to stay relevant for her next book. RS seems to love her, no wonder he’s not married, she’s a wackjob with a horrible temper. Run, guys, run! lol

4. purplerayne

February 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Wait, a mom worrying about her child’s heartache is pathetic? LOL ohhhkay. The only thing Vanessa’s turmoil signaled to me is that shes more invested in Nick than the other girls. (Similar to how Shawn was acting on Kaitlyn’s season). Also knowing how the show works, i have ZERO doubt producers have pumped Vanessa’s mind with hints of the future outcome. Props to the families for all expressing real concerns.

5. valadega

February 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Vanessa seems insecure to me, watch out Nick. Cold somebody please introduce Raven to Luke?

February 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Wasn’t it kind of out of the blue that these girls were suddenly trying to cough up “I Love Yous” this episode? Boy that was some bad acting forcing those words out. Raven couldn’t even do it at all. At least normally there are a couple of girls that kinda mean it…. at least in the context of a fake show where you’re supposed to fall in love in six weeks. But now, it’s just too much. And Vanessa went essentially from zero to 60 this show. To me, I didn’t see any real chemistry between Nick and her & suddenly she loves him? Either the editing is horrible (yes) or they’re just forcing it this year (yes also). Come on now, I like my fake shows to do a better job of pretending to be real. Nobody likes when they just mail it in like this.

7. yoyotono

February 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Josh Murray needs to go away, so annoying to try to make a “new storyline” about getting back together with Amanda to the media after they “want privacy”. Guess their product placements on instagram weren’t going well.

Nick is super boring, I didn’t think he’d be so monotone all season. Doesn’t look like he has any sort of personality at all. I can’t even make it through most of the episodes.

8. crushonspivey

February 21, 2017 at 3:12 PM

I like Vanessa, but can see that she is emotional and can then get blunt. Really could see that with both her parents, who were also very blunt, and it was interesting to hear that they do not get along, and prefer to avoid each other. Vanessa’s mom and sister had no problem skipping niceties and being direct with Nick in ways most aren’t in social situations like this typically. And her dad did not mess around. So Nick has fair warning. The hometown was just sort of awkward with her family, although I think her brother came across pretty solidly.

I think Rachel will make a solid bachette now. I had my doubts but can see it. Saw more personality and realness from her last night epi.

Raven is just a unique, happy, easy going girl. But not a good match with Nick, nor is Corinne who is not a good match for any guy right now. Way too immature and spoiled.

9. kmannone723

February 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM

It’ll be interesting since early on Nick could imagine Vanessa as his wife while she was puking on the space date way back when. He really seemed like a devoted husband there. Plus when he asked all the other families he asked if they would be cool if he proposed but with Vanessa’s dad he truly asked for his blessing.

10. kimmyfromdablock

February 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM

Where far art thou @rob22? Where has he been? Did RS kick him off for promoting his relationship column?

And yes, @purplerayne — in this case Vanessa’s mom is pathetic. No one wants to see their child heartbroken, but short of a broken engagement or being left at the altar — her tears seemed a bit extreme for me given the premise of the show. Her precious daughter has known this guy for less than 2 months. Girl please.

Heartbreak over a failed relationship is not fun but ultimately it’s a gift. It teaches you how strong you are, it shuts the door to someone who ultimately didn’t value you and it gives you the insight to know what you don’t want.

11. j1scarlett

February 22, 2017 at 7:41 AM

@kimmyfromdablock- someone wrote into RS’s Wednesdays column a couple of weeks ago and said something like “are you aware of Rob22 in your comment section answering all your advice questions and also promoting his own blog” and RS was like thats unacceptable, he will be blocked today. So I guess hes been banned from the site.

12. kimmyfromdablock

February 22, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Actually, @j1scarlett, soon after I typed my comment, I noticed that @rob22 had commented on this page. So I guess he’s still in da club.

13. duckquack

February 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM

run Nick run!!!!!….you marry Vanessa you are marrying the whole wop family…everyone will have a say how your wedding should look like, marriage, kids, taking a crap should function…blah blah blah
    you will have no say, since your big girl (mama’s little girl will never disappoint her family)

you will always be an outsider….hell i would rather marry Corrine or Raven than that wimpy Italian sausage.