The Bachelor 21 - Nick

The “Bachelor” Nick Episode 8 Recap Incl “Women Tell All,” Scheduling Quirk for Next Week & Josh and Amanda News

Photo Credit: ABC

-Miami is up next for the most anticipated hometown in recent memory – Corinne’s. Not necessarily because of her per se, but more so that the show had built her backstory up to be so big, it had to have some payoff, right? Uhhh, yeah. So naturally, when Nick and Corinne meet, they’re at the mall. A high end shopping mall. With basically zero customers. Corinne runs and jumps and straddles him while making out. Seems par for the course for these two. They head into the Tomas Maier store where Corinne proceeds to spend $3,423 on Nick’s outfit without batting an eyelash. Yes, apparently this was real. She actually bought those clothes for him. Now, could that have been on a company credit card? Sure. But that wasn’t purchased by the show or anything. Showing how much of a deep, intellectual connection these two had they figured her splurging on him for clothes is what would really solidify their tight bond and continue this relationship on. Yawn. It’s like there are writers for this show or something. Oh wait…

-After shopping, these two go to lunch when Corinne tells him how deep her feelings are for him, that she’s really, really fallen for him, and then drops the “I love you” on him. I gotta imagine Nick at this point is like, “Well, at least I got three dimes worth of clothing from her. Sweet.” Because lets face it, there is zero chance Nick felt remotely the same way about her. She was a prop this season used to advance a storyline. Nothing more, nothing less. There’s a part of Nick (and every lead for that matter) that is fully aware the TV element this show carries and some things you have to do for the sake of television. Corinne was one of them, despite whatever Nick has said in interviews and his blog. We can clearly all see it. They focused their show around this woman for 5 episodes, choosing to basically single her out and make it seem like Nick didn’t have much of a connection with anyone else. I don’t think anyone in their right mind believes that Nick ever had more than a surface level, physical interest in Corinne. And if you do, I have some land to sell you.

-So we get to meet Corinne’s mom Perry, dad Jim, sister Taylor, and the infamous nanny Racquel, which very well might be the most overhyped person in the history of this show. To make a big deal all season because of her and then have her serve them dinner while showing her talking to Nick for maybe :30 seconds? Lovely. Hope you were compensated for that nicely Racquel. Corinne talks to her dad first and tells him that she told Nick earlier today that she loved him. Her dad practically keels over on the bed slapping his forehead. Even daddy realizes how silly this is and Corinne is completely in over her head. Oh sure, he gave the ol’ speech of wanting her to be happy yada yada yada, but his immediate expression pretty much told us what we wanted to know. Now, if Corinne had told her dad that she and Nick had an hourlong discussion over the economy, refugees, and the political climate in this country right now, I think there’s a good chance she would’ve given him a heart attack. Maybe daddy will realize that hanging out in Playa Escondida getting shmammered for 2 weeks this summer is a better route for Corinne to go with her life. You know, all this running of a multi million dollar company can get real taxing for her. She needs a break.

-Corinne and her dad continue with their interesting conversation. Mr. Olympios basically sh** all over Nick’s career aspirations of Instagram posting and running an online men’s grooming business. How dare you! He asks Corinne if she’s ok with being the breadwinner in this relationship. “Can Nick make a living, raise a family, and keep Corinne happy?” Then when he talks to Nick himself, he drops the, “Corinne likes the finer things in life…I asked her how is he gonna support you and are you happy being the breadwinner? She said yes.” I don’t know about you, but I could tell Nick was completely blown away by this assumption that Corinne would automatically become the breadwinner in the relationship and that Mr. Olympios basically emasculated Nick in front of America. Not that Nick already didn’t know he’d be sending Corinne home this episode, but I’d say that conversation pretty much put the nail in the coffin. Pretty insulting if you ask me to say that to Nick’s face. Yes, the Olympios family has more money than Nick, but acting like it’s because of Corinne’s doing, and she’d be the one providing everything because of the work she does is embarrassing. Nick sheepishly responding with, “Yeah, I’m glad to hear her say that” might’ve been the biggest lie Nick told all season.

-Then daddy basically dropped the “If she’s happy, I’m happy” line and all was right in the world. Other than Nick no longer having a pair of balls. Oh yeah, when Nick spoke with Racquel, she told him not to hurt her, she respects her so much, and asked what his intentions were with her. I don’t think Nick answered honestly since he knew he was about a week away from sending her packing. But I’m sure Racquel bought whatever he was selling. Corinne ended up being very happy over this hometown date. I know this because her dad thought so. “Corinne is the lid to Nick’s pot.” Well if that isn’t a solid enough expression about two people’s romance, I don’t know what is. Of all the ways to describe ones relationship, I can’t say I’ve ever heard that one before. And how flimsy is that expression. A lid on a pot? How about “Corinne is the paper towel to Nick’s microwave dinner?” You know, that paper towel that they tell you to cover it with but inevitably just sinks into your food once you pull it out of the microwave? Yeah, that’s what Nick and Corinne are. Corinne is a soggy paper towel and Nick is soup.

1. kimmyfromdablock

February 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM

I have 3 comments:

1). Every single home in hometowns needs an interior design makeover.

2). Vanessa is way enmeshed with her family and her mom’s tears over potentially enduring another heartbreak for Vanessa is downright pathetic.

3). Where did Andi Dorfman get her shoes?

2. RaRa

February 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM

I think you meant Hoxie, Arkansas. Raven doesn’t have nearly as thick a Southern accent as those who were born and raised in Alabama.

3. caitlyn

February 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Gag me, not Andi Dorfman, guess she needs to stay relevant for her next book. RS seems to love her, no wonder he’s not married, she’s a wackjob with a horrible temper. Run, guys, run! lol

4. purplerayne

February 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Wait, a mom worrying about her child’s heartache is pathetic? LOL ohhhkay. The only thing Vanessa’s turmoil signaled to me is that shes more invested in Nick than the other girls. (Similar to how Shawn was acting on Kaitlyn’s season). Also knowing how the show works, i have ZERO doubt producers have pumped Vanessa’s mind with hints of the future outcome. Props to the families for all expressing real concerns.

5. valadega

February 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Vanessa seems insecure to me, watch out Nick. Cold somebody please introduce Raven to Luke?

February 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Wasn’t it kind of out of the blue that these girls were suddenly trying to cough up “I Love Yous” this episode? Boy that was some bad acting forcing those words out. Raven couldn’t even do it at all. At least normally there are a couple of girls that kinda mean it…. at least in the context of a fake show where you’re supposed to fall in love in six weeks. But now, it’s just too much. And Vanessa went essentially from zero to 60 this show. To me, I didn’t see any real chemistry between Nick and her & suddenly she loves him? Either the editing is horrible (yes) or they’re just forcing it this year (yes also). Come on now, I like my fake shows to do a better job of pretending to be real. Nobody likes when they just mail it in like this.

7. yoyotono

February 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Josh Murray needs to go away, so annoying to try to make a “new storyline” about getting back together with Amanda to the media after they “want privacy”. Guess their product placements on instagram weren’t going well.

Nick is super boring, I didn’t think he’d be so monotone all season. Doesn’t look like he has any sort of personality at all. I can’t even make it through most of the episodes.

8. crushonspivey

February 21, 2017 at 3:12 PM

I like Vanessa, but can see that she is emotional and can then get blunt. Really could see that with both her parents, who were also very blunt, and it was interesting to hear that they do not get along, and prefer to avoid each other. Vanessa’s mom and sister had no problem skipping niceties and being direct with Nick in ways most aren’t in social situations like this typically. And her dad did not mess around. So Nick has fair warning. The hometown was just sort of awkward with her family, although I think her brother came across pretty solidly.

I think Rachel will make a solid bachette now. I had my doubts but can see it. Saw more personality and realness from her last night epi.

Raven is just a unique, happy, easy going girl. But not a good match with Nick, nor is Corinne who is not a good match for any guy right now. Way too immature and spoiled.

9. kmannone723

February 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM

It’ll be interesting since early on Nick could imagine Vanessa as his wife while she was puking on the space date way back when. He really seemed like a devoted husband there. Plus when he asked all the other families he asked if they would be cool if he proposed but with Vanessa’s dad he truly asked for his blessing.

10. kimmyfromdablock

February 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM

Where far art thou @rob22? Where has he been? Did RS kick him off for promoting his relationship column?

And yes, @purplerayne — in this case Vanessa’s mom is pathetic. No one wants to see their child heartbroken, but short of a broken engagement or being left at the altar — her tears seemed a bit extreme for me given the premise of the show. Her precious daughter has known this guy for less than 2 months. Girl please.

Heartbreak over a failed relationship is not fun but ultimately it’s a gift. It teaches you how strong you are, it shuts the door to someone who ultimately didn’t value you and it gives you the insight to know what you don’t want.

11. j1scarlett

February 22, 2017 at 7:41 AM

@kimmyfromdablock- someone wrote into RS’s Wednesdays column a couple of weeks ago and said something like “are you aware of Rob22 in your comment section answering all your advice questions and also promoting his own blog” and RS was like thats unacceptable, he will be blocked today. So I guess hes been banned from the site.

12. kimmyfromdablock

February 22, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Actually, @j1scarlett, soon after I typed my comment, I noticed that @rob22 had commented on this page. So I guess he’s still in da club.

13. duckquack

February 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM

run Nick run!!!!!….you marry Vanessa you are marrying the whole wop family…everyone will have a say how your wedding should look like, marriage, kids, taking a crap should function…blah blah blah
    you will have no say, since your big girl (mama’s little girl will never disappoint her family)

you will always be an outsider….hell i would rather marry Corrine or Raven than that wimpy Italian sausage.