The Bachelorette 13 - Rachel

The “Bachelorette” Episode 9 Recap, “Men Tell All” News, Dean is Team Peter

Photo Credit: ABC

-Eric has his date next with the family, but first they are going to Reunion Tower to get all snug snug. Quick note: JoJo was supposed to take Ben to Reunion Tower for her hometown date when he was here, but weather prevented it from happening. So they did the whole stupid storyline with her ex calling her and all that garbage. And oh yeah, her mom chugging big time out of that bottle of wine that became a meme. Good times. Bring us back to those days when parents got sloshed on their child’s hometown date, or completely embarrassed them. Oh wait, that was last week with Dean. How could I forget?

-With Eric on his date, Bryan and Peter sit in the room to talk about things and it only got everyone wondering, “Could these two dislike each other more?” Well, we’ve only seen Peter say negative things about Bryan. I can’t really remember Bryan saying anything about Peter, other than what he said to Eric. But that wasn’t opinion, that was a fact he relayed. Peter made it clear he’s not a fan of Bryan because he thinks he’s phony, which a lot of people do. And after watching that Dean interview on ET posted on page 1, we know Dean is Team Peter as well. But Bryan has his boys in Josiah, Will, and Alex to name a few. So looks like lines were definitely drawn between these two. I wonder if this will be addressed at the ATFR a la Josh and Nick. I don’t think the hatred between these two is that deep, but clearly there’s some dislike going on there. Well, at least on one side.

-At Reunion Tower, we see Eric downing a bowl a fruit like it’s going out of style. Hell, I would’ve too. I love me some fruit. All of it. Except mangos. Not a fan. When I was growing up, and I’m talking like early elementary years, every time my family would go to brunch somewhere whether it was for Mother’s or Father’s Day or something like that, all I’d get was a plate of fruit. Remember, I was a kid. I didn’t need to go to the carving station for roast beef or turkey, nor was I really into anything else a brunch had to offer. I would just fill my plate up with watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melons and I was good to go. Now? Sh**, I had buffet this weekend in Vegas and I think I’m still suffering the effects from it. Food coma for sure. But damn that Grand Lux Café buffet can be filling.

-When Eric meets the family, on the outside they really seemed to like him even though his lack of relationship experience was an issue discussed. On the inside, I’m guessing every single one of them knew there was zero chance Rachel was ever picking him. Great friends, great guy, but c’mon. He ain’t ready. But I said it last week and I’ll say it again, I think I’m more looking forward to talk to Eric on the podcast someday (hopefully) than any of Rachel’s other guys. It’s not even close. The guy seems legit. I’m still trying to figure out why he hashtags everything with #MiracleSeason, but whatever. I think he’s got a great story that I’d like to dive deeper into. Probably won’t happen anytime soon, but I hope to have him on at some point.

-When her sister sat down with Eric, it was like the teacher and the pupil. The married sister with a child who’s due for her second one, talking to a little boy who once had a girlfriend of 8 months that was his last relationship. “You guys are on two different paths.” Ya’ think? Eric doubled down on that one, “I’ve never been in love.” But for a girl who’s wanting a proposal at the end of this, did anyone in the audience truly believed that’s what Eric felt at the time, or he was saying it because of the proverbial “Bachelor Bubble,” where you THINK you’re in love but you’re really not? I’d say the latter. Eric I’m pretty sure knew where he stood at this point, so I guess he did what he could to stay in the game. But I think even the unspoiled could clearly see that Rachel friend zoned him a while back.

July 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Although the cliff hangars are highly annoying, it’s no more annoying than all the filler that typically goes into the last episode. We can do without all the volumes of hand-wringing and crying… I’m sure we’ll get some of that anyway. So at least there’s going to be some content beyond the final 20 minutes of the final show. Normally you can just fast forward to the first limousine pulling up, so I guess there will be more to watch this time.

I think RS has covered Bryan fairly. We don’t know him. We can’t be sure that he’s Jef Holm 2.0. And Peter’s pulling the midwest resident card about the “Miami type” of person is grating. Peter really needs to be called out on that one. If Bryan’s a player with a great line, it has nothing to do with his being from Miami. Wasn’t Jef Holm himself from Utah? Hardly a playa state. All that said, if it walks like a duck…. Bryan sure walks like a playa. And with all the possible relationship killers in play …. if he’s really a playa, his Mom, the interracial aspect, the history of show couples especially on this show, her ties to Dallas with his family in Miami, etc., etc. …. I gotta say the odds of this one staying together are extra low.

2. shouldbeworking

July 25, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Did I miss something? Why did we not see Rachel’s Dad on camera?

3. ladyjane747

July 25, 2017 at 12:34 PM

shouldbe, Rachel’s dad is a federal judge; he’s not going to appear on a reality TV show!

4. ladyjane747

July 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM

I guess I’m in the minority because I love Bryan; he’s sexy, attractive, has a great voice, he’s humble, confident, successful, well-spoken, he’s so attentive to Rachel and you can tell she just loves that. She never has to ask Bryan how he’s feeling (Eric) or try to get physical affection from him (Peter). If he’d been on that winery date with Rachel, it would’ve been sooo different. Peter is kind of awkward. Rachel and Bryan are great match for dating, whether that ends in marriage, who knows? Peter’s a drag. As RS stated, he’s so clearly not into Rachel. When he’s the Bach, it’ll be interesting to see how many black women he keeps around and for how long. My guess is not many and not long. And, yeah, it’s obvious Peter is jealous of Bryan and Bryan really never talks trash about any of the guys and just doesn’t care.

5. mrsechevarria

July 25, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Bryan has gone downhill since he started speaking. At this point, he comes across as desperate. I like Rachel, but she seems desperate for a proposal. Bryan would have eagerly given her that when he stepped out of the limo! To me, Eric shines & becomes more endearing every episode! I hope these spoilers are wrong!

6. mlynnes

July 25, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Heather McDonald has also theorized on Juicy Scoop that Bryan has had work done on his cheeks!

7. crushonspivey

July 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM

mrse, I agree. Bryan looks like a phoney. He is trying so hard, he wants it so bad to be famous on TV. And honestly, he doesn’t come across as all that intelligent. Not saying he isn’t, just that he comes across as canned, pre-packaged, slick and trying too hard. Dude is 37 and never married. I’d say his red flags are greater than Eric’s for not having been in love.

Rachel and Bryan are gonna go teh way of most series relationships. Gone in 6 months.

8. topazgold

July 25, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Well, her big mouth friend ruined the season. Not that we all couldn’t tell she picks Miami Mack aka Bryan

28 minute mark

9. sthrnbydsgn68

July 25, 2017 at 2:20 PM

I’m surprised that no one has brought up the fact that Rachel seemed more into the white men, except for poor double negative Eric. Not until her family is shown does the audience realize that her whole family in interracial and a blue collar guy wouldn’t fit in. All the talk about being the first black bachelorette and seemingly only really attracted to white men appears to be a contradiction and disengenous. Magic of TV, questionable ethics!

10. sthrnbydsgn68

July 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Oops! My cell doesn’t understand me! Meant to say that “her whole family is into interracial”

11. ladyjane747

July 25, 2017 at 7:12 PM

topazgold, where have you been? RS spoiled the season weeks ago!

12. qtontv

July 25, 2017 at 8:40 PM

Peter wants to hate on Bryan for his hotness, but he better be glad someone has that much game otherwise he might accidentally be picked! Which Peter clearly didn’t want so he could be the bachelor. But I’m honestly over the “skeptical” characters on the show–don’t show up if you’re not going to act open-minded.

13. qtontv

July 25, 2017 at 8:41 PM

And I love me some Eric! But yea, he ain’t ready. I totally forgot about what a douche he was in the beginning and am glad he at least got a good redemption arc.

14. jlal

July 26, 2017 at 4:08 AM

I’m not sure what Peter does for a living, but I think he is on the show for his career, period. He just seem calculated to me.

Eric is way to rough around the edges. It pains me to hear him talk to Rachel, “I love being wiff chew”, “Let me ax you something”, not to mention the double negatives. He is not polished enough or mature enough.

I like Brian. He is 37 years old, very well educated, and good looking with plenty experience, so not surprised he is so smooth. Don’t know if they will last, but he seems a good fit.

July 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM

I will say this…. although I think Bryan is an operator, I don’t think Rachel really has any choice. Peter’s not up for proposing and Eric seems like he has tons of life damage to overcome. In a normal world you could date either of them for a few months and see how things progress. But this is the microwave world of The Bachelor where you have to meet, date 3-4 times, fall in love and propose. Bryan is the only one she CAN pick at this point. If she had 6 months to date them, that might change. But she obviously doesn’t have 6 months. Given that, it’s not surprising that most leads pick their F4 and often their F1 the first night. It’s largely a gut decision with a tiny bit of actual knowledge added in over 6 weeks. Mostly that knowledge is used to disqualify 2-3 contestants. So, for this season, it’s always been Bryan’s to lose. As long as he didn’t mess it up (and he hasn’t) he was always going to win. Peter and Eric were only there in case Bryan f’d it up.

July 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM

As a man who got married at age 31, I will say that any guy who has a job & is moderately attractive, who is not married at age 37 hasn’t shown much interest in being married. I kind of reached an inflection point in my late 20s where I had to decide whether to keep playing the field, or look for a serious relationship and marriage. I realized that once I passed a few more years, marriage was not only going to become less likely… I might be in a place where I may make the decision not to get married at all. Age 37? Wow, I cannot really imagine that a guy like Bryan is going to suddenly decide to get married…. and if so, it would be far more likely that it would happen after a fairly lengthy relationship that included living together for quite a while. So, in short, Bryan being serious about getting married on a reality show? Not likely.

17. ladyjane747

July 26, 2017 at 7:30 AM

I got married when I was 36 and two kids and 23 years later we’re still married. My husband was 40 when we got married, had been married before but no kids. I’d had serious relationships, had lived with someone for several years but never had a desire to get married until I decided I wanted to have kids. My brother got married when he was around 50, two kids and 17 years later they’re still married! 37 for a man is not that old. The best thing about it, is that he’s had fun and excitement and played the field, so settling down is not going to feel like he’s missing out on something.

18. anonime

July 26, 2017 at 7:44 AM

Bryan asked the wrong mother for permission to propose. He needs permission from his OWN mother. We all know what her answer would be. I don’t see him ever growing a backbone.

19. jessie

July 26, 2017 at 7:50 AM

I actually disagree about someone being 37 and not marriage bound. People live longer now – and maybe want to have more of a life before they settle down to domestic boredom. LOL I guess that tells you what I think about marriage.

20. enic198008

July 26, 2017 at 12:18 PM

37 is definitely not too old to get married…SHESH! I completely agree with @anonime, Bryan’s Mom will be the deciding factor. There’s nothing worse than dealing with a hen pecked mama’s boy been there done that, peace out! Bryan’s co-dependent master is most certainly a mommy dearest and he won’t ask for his balls back to stand up to her, hence his hesitation when answering Rachel’s mom question regarding who he was going to side with in the mommy dearest vs. Rachel showdown that is SURE to happen!…hint hint in that scenario the girlfriend is always the odd woman out! I wish Bryan’s ex would give us the scoop on how much of a nightmare it was dealing with his overly possessive mother. I am sooooooo disappointed that Rachel and Peter will not end up together, he WAS my favorite and my pick to win as soon as he exited the limo ;). It is evident that he is feeling the pressure and getting cold feet despite being into her. I agree with Rachel an engagement and a marriage are NOT one in the same! Peter’s looking for an excuse because he’s been gunning to be the bachelor since he wrote it in the high school yearbook…I really don’t think ABC should grant him his wish…it was completely wrong of him to join the show under false pretenses and with ulterior motives and he shouldn’t be rewarded for his cunning game of pretend. Best of luck to Dean and Eric they are both cuties and sweethearts, but have a tad more growing up to do IMO. Rachel did a great job of choosing diverse finalists (Caucasian, African-American, and a Latino suitor) and that is a testament to her open mind. Best of luck to one of the BEST bachelorettes on the show I really enjoyed her season 🙂 P.S. please find a white girl for DeMario he is thirsty AF…cray cray Britney Spears really, still up Corinne’s behind saying how great she after the stunt she pulled? He is pathetic and needs his black card revoked! -Signed an AA female

21. SeaDub

July 26, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Team Eric, not for Rachel but just love him. Know it won’t happen but would love for him to be the next Bachelor.

And who cares if someone is not interested in marriage at a certain point in their lives as long as they are upfront about that with anyone they are dating. I have many male friends who were not interested in marriage until their 40’s and even more female friends who are in their mid 40’s who are not interested in marriage. Marriage (and parenthood) is not the end all be all to happiness for all.

22. missmanners

July 27, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Le sigh. This season has been one disappointment after the other. But what can one expect in the land of tacky reality television? Truth? Believable romance? Certainly not. I should’ve learned my lesson and continued to pay these shows dust. Peter and Bryan may be great people outside of all this I do not know. But on this show they’re both terrible. Rachel, as a person, is solid. Rachel’s ambitions and motives for being on this show, not so much. I won’t bother hoping ABC dashes Peter’s dream of becoming the Bachelor. I’m pretty sure he’ll get the gig at this point. But the optics are terrible. The optics of this season, including what we know goes down in BIP are even worst. Epic fail!

23. anonime

July 27, 2017 at 8:23 AM

I wish Rachel would pull a Brad W. with these mopes. When the proposal(s) come, I wish she’d just look at the guy(s) and say, “Nah, I’m good” , and walk away.

24. tater

July 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM

Bryan has no reason to be there career wise. He’s a Dr so he’s not there to further his career. Unlike Peter who’s totally using the show to get further in his career. Also to be Bachelor. I have no idea what Eric does, but I’m sure the dating experience for him is what he needed.

25. jlal

July 31, 2017 at 8:28 AM

First all, I agree with everyone saying 37 is not too old to not be married. The guy is a Dr., so was in school, residency, starting a practice, etc. for years and most likely had student loans to pay off too.

My main issue is with enic198008 comments on DeMario. I was with you all the way and agree with everything up to the DeMario comments. You commend Rachel for being “open minded” race wise, but slam DeMario for dating/hooking up with white girls and say his black card needs revoked? What kind of double standard is that? I’m not saying DeMario doesn’t has a sleaze factor, between the girl showing up on a date during the show and the Corrine debacle, but to bring race into it is just wrong. I don’t know what a “Black Card” is, how one gets one or looses one, but talk about not being open minded.