The Bachelorette 13 - Rachel

The “Bachelorette” Episode 9 Recap, “Men Tell All” News, Dean is Team Peter

Photo Credit: ABC

-When Bryan leaves for his turn to meet the family, Eric and Peter are left to talk and this is where Peter’s shade towards Bryan started when he said, “I’m not a fan of the guy.” He said Miami was the place of “fake boobs, fake asses, and fake cheeks,” which I’m assuming means he thinks Bryan has fake cheeks. Is that a thing? Are guys concerned about how their cheeks look? Really? I had no idea. That sounds about as silly as guys who get calf implants if that’s the case. Maybe Peter brought that up because he knows something we don’t. Not 100% sure, but seems like an awfully weird thing to throw out there, so maybe Bryan does have them. Not sure what that says or doesn’t say if he did because I had no idea that was even a thing guys would even care about. Seems to bother Peter though. Probably because Bryan is winning and he’s not and he knows it. I’m sure Peter fans will find a way to make an excuse for this, but your boy looks petty in this argument.

-Bryan got to meet the two girls that signed Rachel up for the “Bachelor” over brunch and laid it all out there immediately telling them he’s all in, he’s falling in love, and he wants to move to Dallas tomorrow. Ok, he didn’t say that last part, but hey, looks like that’s what he’s gonna need to do to make this work. The girlfriends seemed to like him and were buying everything he was selling. I think at this point, Bryan could see ice to an eskimo. I don’t know enough about the guy to know whether or not he’s full of sh** and this was more about winning to him. But they are still engaged and happy, so take that for what it’s worth. As always, it doesn’t mean anything really until they get married. But as of today, there are no problems in Rachel/Bryan land from what I’m hearing.

-When Bryan and Rachel meet her parents, Rachel admits to her family what she first thought of Bryan when she met him. “I thought he was a douchebag.” Apparently Rachel and Peter think alike. Because this is a television show, Rachel’s family went to town on Bryan and asked him questions they didn’t ask the other two guys. That’s because they want to make you think Rachel couldn’t possibly pick the guy who her family was skeptical of. Did you notice the scene where Bryan says he had to excuse himself at dinner? They made it seem like he left during the middle of some brutal questioning. But then they went to commercial and when the show resumed, there was zero mention of him getting up and excusing himself, even though the show made it seem like that was kind of a big deal. So basically over hours of footage he was there, they took some innocent moment of him excusing himself, probably to just get up and use the restroom, and controlled the narrative around it by making it seem like it was part of how uncomfortable the questioning was. UPDATE: Bryan took to Instagram this morning to clarify what he got up for. He went to talk to Rachel’s dad.

-When Rachel talks to her mom about Bryan, they talk about love and what it means to each of them. Her mom is not convinced that Rachel is in love because this process is too fast moving. She says love is when you don’t want to be without that person. Rachel counters with, “You don’t think I can feel that?” Mom: “No.” Oh. Well then. Guess that’s settled. Rachel and her mom clearly see differently on this situation. In that moment, Rachel is convinced she can’t be without Bryan. Her mom doesn’t think that’s possible. I guess only time will tell if these two work out in the end. She’s technically still in the “bubble” of the show since they haven’t been out publicly together, even though they’ve had numerous secret meetings over the last couple months. So it’s impossible to say whether Rachel is right or not. Maybe her family still does doubt it. I don’t know. But yeah, I would say they had a right to be a bit skeptical of what Bryan was saying considering how strong his sentiments were towards a girl he’d barely known for a month at that point of filming. Anybody who talks that way that soon you have to question if they’re just saying that because they know they have to to win the other person over. If you go all show saying, “I don’t know how I feel, I don’t know how I feel,” are you ever going to win? Never. No one’s ever been chosen in the end by being mysterious and never openly expressed their feelings. Bryan is doing it 1000x more than Peter and Eric. But do we know for sure how sincere he is? No.

-Of course Bryan went all in with the family asking for her mother’s permission. He said if she picks him in the end, he’d absolutely be proposing. Of course he would. I think if Bryan had his way, he would’ve proposed on the first night. We have every right to question his sincerity considering how early and often it came with him. I think anybody can go on this show with the mindset, “Ok, I’m open to doing this, I think I can fall in love on this show, and I would definitely propose if I felt it was right.” But when you’re basically spewing that right out of the limo, and throwing line after line after line at the woman from the get go, of course the audience is going to question your sincerity. We just don’t know enough at this point about the guy. What we do know is that she got engaged on the show back in May, she’s still engaged today, and she’s telling every interviewer how much more in love she is now than she ever was. So either Bryan has her completely fooled (or she has herself fooled) and she’s a great actress, or things really are that great right now.

-I can’t remember an overnight date episode that ended with a “To Be Continued…” can you? Maybe there was one, but if there was, none are certainly coming to mind right now. Not only that, but it’s not like the TBC happened at the rose ceremony. We only got 1 ½ overnight dates last night. So the finale in 2 weeks still needs to wrap up Peter’s overnight date and what happens there, then show Bryan’s overnight, then a rose ceremony, then the final 2 getting their final date before the final rose ceremony, since her parents won’t be showing up in Spain. Maybe that’s why they extended it out, since they have two less segments to show in the finale because her parents segment already happened. Whatever the case, I think we can assume there’s no way that Rachel allowed Peter to show up on that final day of the rose ceremony. There’s zero chance after their conversation we saw last night that she lets him, or he even allows himself, to get that far in the process. My guess is on their last date is when it’ll end between them and only Bryan will be showing up on the final rose ceremony day for their engagement. Do I know with 100% certainty that’s what goes down? No. But I don’t think there’s any way he gets to the final rose ceremony based on where his head is at, even though he does make it through the final 3 rose ceremony.

-For those that may have been confused by the engagement talk between Rachel and Peter (I know I sure was), Rachel took to Twitter last night to clear up what she meant:

We don’t know exactly what she said in that moment. All we heard was, “Engagement doesn’t mean marriage” to her, which apparently is not what she said at all. All comes with the territory of this show I guess. But yeah, that conversation was totally choppy and you could tell we were missing something, which is why none of it really made sense. Again, at that point in the show, Rachel pretty much knew she was picking Bryan, and somehow they still had to create compelling television for the viewers. So I guess they decided to have a little fun with that conversation. The cliffhanger of Rachel and Peter not knowing what to do now will all be resolved since she obviously still goes to the fantasy suite with him and he gets a rose at the next ceremony.

-Next week is the “Men Tell All” and I will have your spoilers for you posted for tomorrow. There’s never any major news coming out of this show, but just some things to look for and what to expect, like what was the major issue, who went up to the hot seat, which guys went at it, etc. As mentioned earlier, Eric was not part of the taping. I’m sure we’ll see him at the ATFR along with Peter to confront Rachel for the first time since being let go in Spain. Eric seems cool with everything, so I doubt he’s affected negatively by this. Peter will be interesting since he’s so calculated and guarded with everything he says.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

July 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Although the cliff hangars are highly annoying, it’s no more annoying than all the filler that typically goes into the last episode. We can do without all the volumes of hand-wringing and crying… I’m sure we’ll get some of that anyway. So at least there’s going to be some content beyond the final 20 minutes of the final show. Normally you can just fast forward to the first limousine pulling up, so I guess there will be more to watch this time.

I think RS has covered Bryan fairly. We don’t know him. We can’t be sure that he’s Jef Holm 2.0. And Peter’s pulling the midwest resident card about the “Miami type” of person is grating. Peter really needs to be called out on that one. If Bryan’s a player with a great line, it has nothing to do with his being from Miami. Wasn’t Jef Holm himself from Utah? Hardly a playa state. All that said, if it walks like a duck…. Bryan sure walks like a playa. And with all the possible relationship killers in play …. if he’s really a playa, his Mom, the interracial aspect, the history of show couples especially on this show, her ties to Dallas with his family in Miami, etc., etc. …. I gotta say the odds of this one staying together are extra low.

2. shouldbeworking

July 25, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Did I miss something? Why did we not see Rachel’s Dad on camera?

3. ladyjane747

July 25, 2017 at 12:34 PM

shouldbe, Rachel’s dad is a federal judge; he’s not going to appear on a reality TV show!

4. ladyjane747

July 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM

I guess I’m in the minority because I love Bryan; he’s sexy, attractive, has a great voice, he’s humble, confident, successful, well-spoken, he’s so attentive to Rachel and you can tell she just loves that. She never has to ask Bryan how he’s feeling (Eric) or try to get physical affection from him (Peter). If he’d been on that winery date with Rachel, it would’ve been sooo different. Peter is kind of awkward. Rachel and Bryan are great match for dating, whether that ends in marriage, who knows? Peter’s a drag. As RS stated, he’s so clearly not into Rachel. When he’s the Bach, it’ll be interesting to see how many black women he keeps around and for how long. My guess is not many and not long. And, yeah, it’s obvious Peter is jealous of Bryan and Bryan really never talks trash about any of the guys and just doesn’t care.

5. mrsechevarria

July 25, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Bryan has gone downhill since he started speaking. At this point, he comes across as desperate. I like Rachel, but she seems desperate for a proposal. Bryan would have eagerly given her that when he stepped out of the limo! To me, Eric shines & becomes more endearing every episode! I hope these spoilers are wrong!

6. mlynnes

July 25, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Heather McDonald has also theorized on Juicy Scoop that Bryan has had work done on his cheeks!

7. crushonspivey

July 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM

mrse, I agree. Bryan looks like a phoney. He is trying so hard, he wants it so bad to be famous on TV. And honestly, he doesn’t come across as all that intelligent. Not saying he isn’t, just that he comes across as canned, pre-packaged, slick and trying too hard. Dude is 37 and never married. I’d say his red flags are greater than Eric’s for not having been in love.

Rachel and Bryan are gonna go teh way of most series relationships. Gone in 6 months.

8. topazgold

July 25, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Well, her big mouth friend ruined the season. Not that we all couldn’t tell she picks Miami Mack aka Bryan

28 minute mark

9. sthrnbydsgn68

July 25, 2017 at 2:20 PM

I’m surprised that no one has brought up the fact that Rachel seemed more into the white men, except for poor double negative Eric. Not until her family is shown does the audience realize that her whole family in interracial and a blue collar guy wouldn’t fit in. All the talk about being the first black bachelorette and seemingly only really attracted to white men appears to be a contradiction and disengenous. Magic of TV, questionable ethics!

10. sthrnbydsgn68

July 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Oops! My cell doesn’t understand me! Meant to say that “her whole family is into interracial”

11. ladyjane747

July 25, 2017 at 7:12 PM

topazgold, where have you been? RS spoiled the season weeks ago!

12. qtontv

July 25, 2017 at 8:40 PM

Peter wants to hate on Bryan for his hotness, but he better be glad someone has that much game otherwise he might accidentally be picked! Which Peter clearly didn’t want so he could be the bachelor. But I’m honestly over the “skeptical” characters on the show–don’t show up if you’re not going to act open-minded.

13. qtontv

July 25, 2017 at 8:41 PM

And I love me some Eric! But yea, he ain’t ready. I totally forgot about what a douche he was in the beginning and am glad he at least got a good redemption arc.

14. jlal

July 26, 2017 at 4:08 AM

I’m not sure what Peter does for a living, but I think he is on the show for his career, period. He just seem calculated to me.

Eric is way to rough around the edges. It pains me to hear him talk to Rachel, “I love being wiff chew”, “Let me ax you something”, not to mention the double negatives. He is not polished enough or mature enough.

I like Brian. He is 37 years old, very well educated, and good looking with plenty experience, so not surprised he is so smooth. Don’t know if they will last, but he seems a good fit.

July 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM

I will say this…. although I think Bryan is an operator, I don’t think Rachel really has any choice. Peter’s not up for proposing and Eric seems like he has tons of life damage to overcome. In a normal world you could date either of them for a few months and see how things progress. But this is the microwave world of The Bachelor where you have to meet, date 3-4 times, fall in love and propose. Bryan is the only one she CAN pick at this point. If she had 6 months to date them, that might change. But she obviously doesn’t have 6 months. Given that, it’s not surprising that most leads pick their F4 and often their F1 the first night. It’s largely a gut decision with a tiny bit of actual knowledge added in over 6 weeks. Mostly that knowledge is used to disqualify 2-3 contestants. So, for this season, it’s always been Bryan’s to lose. As long as he didn’t mess it up (and he hasn’t) he was always going to win. Peter and Eric were only there in case Bryan f’d it up.

July 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM

As a man who got married at age 31, I will say that any guy who has a job & is moderately attractive, who is not married at age 37 hasn’t shown much interest in being married. I kind of reached an inflection point in my late 20s where I had to decide whether to keep playing the field, or look for a serious relationship and marriage. I realized that once I passed a few more years, marriage was not only going to become less likely… I might be in a place where I may make the decision not to get married at all. Age 37? Wow, I cannot really imagine that a guy like Bryan is going to suddenly decide to get married…. and if so, it would be far more likely that it would happen after a fairly lengthy relationship that included living together for quite a while. So, in short, Bryan being serious about getting married on a reality show? Not likely.

17. ladyjane747

July 26, 2017 at 7:30 AM

I got married when I was 36 and two kids and 23 years later we’re still married. My husband was 40 when we got married, had been married before but no kids. I’d had serious relationships, had lived with someone for several years but never had a desire to get married until I decided I wanted to have kids. My brother got married when he was around 50, two kids and 17 years later they’re still married! 37 for a man is not that old. The best thing about it, is that he’s had fun and excitement and played the field, so settling down is not going to feel like he’s missing out on something.

18. anonime

July 26, 2017 at 7:44 AM

Bryan asked the wrong mother for permission to propose. He needs permission from his OWN mother. We all know what her answer would be. I don’t see him ever growing a backbone.

19. jessie

July 26, 2017 at 7:50 AM

I actually disagree about someone being 37 and not marriage bound. People live longer now – and maybe want to have more of a life before they settle down to domestic boredom. LOL I guess that tells you what I think about marriage.

20. enic198008

July 26, 2017 at 12:18 PM

37 is definitely not too old to get married…SHESH! I completely agree with @anonime, Bryan’s Mom will be the deciding factor. There’s nothing worse than dealing with a hen pecked mama’s boy been there done that, peace out! Bryan’s co-dependent master is most certainly a mommy dearest and he won’t ask for his balls back to stand up to her, hence his hesitation when answering Rachel’s mom question regarding who he was going to side with in the mommy dearest vs. Rachel showdown that is SURE to happen!…hint hint in that scenario the girlfriend is always the odd woman out! I wish Bryan’s ex would give us the scoop on how much of a nightmare it was dealing with his overly possessive mother. I am sooooooo disappointed that Rachel and Peter will not end up together, he WAS my favorite and my pick to win as soon as he exited the limo ;). It is evident that he is feeling the pressure and getting cold feet despite being into her. I agree with Rachel an engagement and a marriage are NOT one in the same! Peter’s looking for an excuse because he’s been gunning to be the bachelor since he wrote it in the high school yearbook…I really don’t think ABC should grant him his wish…it was completely wrong of him to join the show under false pretenses and with ulterior motives and he shouldn’t be rewarded for his cunning game of pretend. Best of luck to Dean and Eric they are both cuties and sweethearts, but have a tad more growing up to do IMO. Rachel did a great job of choosing diverse finalists (Caucasian, African-American, and a Latino suitor) and that is a testament to her open mind. Best of luck to one of the BEST bachelorettes on the show I really enjoyed her season 🙂 P.S. please find a white girl for DeMario he is thirsty AF…cray cray Britney Spears really, still up Corinne’s behind saying how great she after the stunt she pulled? He is pathetic and needs his black card revoked! -Signed an AA female

21. SeaDub

July 26, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Team Eric, not for Rachel but just love him. Know it won’t happen but would love for him to be the next Bachelor.

And who cares if someone is not interested in marriage at a certain point in their lives as long as they are upfront about that with anyone they are dating. I have many male friends who were not interested in marriage until their 40’s and even more female friends who are in their mid 40’s who are not interested in marriage. Marriage (and parenthood) is not the end all be all to happiness for all.

22. missmanners

July 27, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Le sigh. This season has been one disappointment after the other. But what can one expect in the land of tacky reality television? Truth? Believable romance? Certainly not. I should’ve learned my lesson and continued to pay these shows dust. Peter and Bryan may be great people outside of all this I do not know. But on this show they’re both terrible. Rachel, as a person, is solid. Rachel’s ambitions and motives for being on this show, not so much. I won’t bother hoping ABC dashes Peter’s dream of becoming the Bachelor. I’m pretty sure he’ll get the gig at this point. But the optics are terrible. The optics of this season, including what we know goes down in BIP are even worst. Epic fail!

23. anonime

July 27, 2017 at 8:23 AM

I wish Rachel would pull a Brad W. with these mopes. When the proposal(s) come, I wish she’d just look at the guy(s) and say, “Nah, I’m good” , and walk away.

24. tater

July 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM

Bryan has no reason to be there career wise. He’s a Dr so he’s not there to further his career. Unlike Peter who’s totally using the show to get further in his career. Also to be Bachelor. I have no idea what Eric does, but I’m sure the dating experience for him is what he needed.

25. jlal

July 31, 2017 at 8:28 AM

First all, I agree with everyone saying 37 is not too old to not be married. The guy is a Dr., so was in school, residency, starting a practice, etc. for years and most likely had student loans to pay off too.

My main issue is with enic198008 comments on DeMario. I was with you all the way and agree with everything up to the DeMario comments. You commend Rachel for being “open minded” race wise, but slam DeMario for dating/hooking up with white girls and say his black card needs revoked? What kind of double standard is that? I’m not saying DeMario doesn’t has a sleaze factor, between the girl showing up on a date during the show and the Corrine debacle, but to bring race into it is just wrong. I don’t know what a “Black Card” is, how one gets one or looses one, but talk about not being open minded.