The Bachelorette 15 - Hannah

The “Bachelorette” Hannah – Episode 8 Recap, (EXCLUSIVE) BIP Engagements, “Men Tell All” Films This Week, and Jed Speaks Out Finally. Sort Of.

Photo Credit: ABC

-Luke’s hometown is next and they first meet with his bible study group. I think that’s who it was. Something church related. What did we learn here? That Luke chased sex in college. He was caught up in sin. Then we hear for the third time this season about God handing him the soap in the shower and telling him to chill. Or something like that. This is the part of the episode where some people begin to get uncomfortable. Because if you don’t believe what Luke believes, then you don’t see the point to all this and many will think it’s crazy nonsense. I’m not a very religious person at all. I have my beliefs and my morals and that’s what I stick by. I don’t care what Luke’s beliefs are or how strong of a Christian he is. It has no bearing on my life whatsoever. He can do and say what he wants. I just don’t quite get all the hate it’s bringing out in some people. If you don’t believe what Luke believes or you think it’s ridiculous that’s fine. I just don’t see the point of making it so publicly known you’re against it. Who cares? How is that affecting you? Bizarre.

-We meet Luke’s dad Mike, mom Elizabeth, brother Mike, sister in law Hannah, and his grandma and great grandma. I think one thing you can take from Luke’s hometown date is for 7 episodes, a lot of people feel like they’re watching this horrible monster. This episode humanized him. And all these guys for that matter. Very easy to get caught up in the drama of everything, and just blasting the guys for everything they say and do. Then you see an episodes like this and you realize Luke is a son, he’s a brother, he has close friends at home that care about him, and you can see he’s a good guy at heart. He might’ve f***ed up numerous times on a television show, but when you watched him last night, did he sound like he has in any of the previous 7 episodes? I’d say no. I just try and keep that in mind. I will never stop criticizing someone for their actions on the show if warranted. And some of the things Luke has said and done have absolutely warranted him being criticized. But just like Jed’s family should be off limits of death threats and harassment, it’s ok to criticize Luke for how you’ve seen him on the show, but the extreme that some people have taken it to is pretty ridiculous. However, I can say that til I’m blue in the face and nothing will change. Just like Corinne got a ton of it. Then it was Krystal on Arie’s season. Then it’s Luke this season. Then whoever the villain is on the next “Bachelor” they’ll take some. That’s why I will always say this show is not for everyone, and I’m talking about the contestants. I don’t think Luke was ready for this show and probably shouldn’t have gone on.

-Luke goes out and talks to his dad, and his dad gave a line that made me cringe and also gave a line that summed up why Hannah has kept him around this long. First he said, “I hate to think of people being critical of you.” Ouch. His dad has had 2 months of America being critical of his son, so I’m curious how he’s handling that. And I’m not just talking regular critical. I’m talking OVERLY critical where they will tell you every single thought in their head about his son. However, on the flip side, his dad also mentioned the fact that Hannah and Luke have a “spiritual connection,” and for everyone that has whined all season how and why she’s kept him around, there’s your answer. Granted, we haven’t seen it from Hannah’s end and only from Luke, but that’s obviously the reason he’s still there. Of the four guys left, he’s closest to her in faith and I believe she keeps going back to that and wants to be right about him. He was her first impression rose. She’s done nothing but fight and stick up for him all season by continuing to give him roses even though she’s cancelled three cocktail parties because of him and had numerous frustrating conversations with him. It’s clear she kept seeing how strong he was in his faith that kept her drawn to him.

-When Luke and Hannah were outside after the date, Luke apologizes to her for putting her through a struggle all season. You could say that again. I think this episode gave people a glimpse of a guy we’ve rarely got to see all season. Totally out of his element, had a whole house of guys that didn’t like him, isolated, can’t speak with anyone, had a producer who was clearly leading him in a direction to say and do things that he was completely clueless as to how it would come off on television, etc. So you watch THAT Luke last night and you realize he’s not a bad guy at heart. I’m sure many will disagree with that as I’ve seen what people have said all season. And that’s fine if you feel that way, I just think it’s pretty extreme. He’s screwed up a lot this season. Said and done things that warrants criticism. But I think there’s a point in which it gets to be a bit severe in terms of what people are characterizing him as. He’s someone I’d absolutely love to talk to when this is over to see where his mind was at during filming. Not sure how or if that can happen, but he’s the one guy this season I’d like to talk to more than anyone else.

-While all that was airing last night, Hannah sure was having a field day on Twitter last night. She was very complimentary live tweeting her dates with Peter and Tyler. Then it got down to Luke and this is what she tweeted:

Not sure what Hannah’s motivation was in sending that all out last night. I disagree on that tactic. Seems like a low blow. YOU were the one that kept him around all season. If it was as bad as you’re saying it was, then you should’ve let him go early. I’ve been pro-Hannah all season because she’s given us things we’ve never seen before. But I don’t understand this snark from last night. It’s a bad look. It’s very “hindsight is 20/20.” She should’ve just not said anything. Or kept it to one tweet like Jed’s hometown date. Going all in 4 times seems a bit excessive.

1. crushonspivey

July 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Jed’s family is getting a bad rap. I think they know he is immature and not ready. They said so, so is wasn’t about Hannah. She just happened to be the girl there that night. It was about Jed. And Jed’s parents were pretty honest about him. They know the dude is still a mess and not ready. Whether it was Hannah, Haley or any other girl. But Hannah ignores what they were putting down. They really tried to warn her about their boy. And many viewers did not like it. I found it refreshing. Honest hometowns are always the best hometowns.

2. aflo78

July 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM

Also, can we address the little temper tantrum Jed threw at the rose ceremony!!!! Do you think the producers had any clue about Haley and knew the goldmine they hit with that little outburst?

3. ctrealitygirl

July 9, 2019 at 1:19 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing last night, aflo78! Wondering if Jed cringed when he saw that back after all the bad publicity he’s gotten and is whining about. Like the old saying goes: “If you want to play, you have to pay.” Hilarious!

4. justa_viewer

July 9, 2019 at 1:57 PM

“Seems like a low blow. YOU were the one that kept him around all season. If it was as bad as you’re saying it was, then you should’ve let him go early…..Going all in 4 times seems a bit excessive.”

Maybe we’ll understand it better–and the anger that drove those comments–after watching Luke try to shame her (or come over as superior to her, however you want to frame it) next week. Just a thought. Hell hath no fury like a bachelorette scorned, perhaps.

I’m pretty sure if I had given a problem boyfriend the benefit of the doubt multiple times, only to have him turn on me in the end and reject me because I was no longer “godly” enough for him, I’d be nursing a bit of a grudge. (I’m not saying that’s what happened, but it does kind of look like it, doesn’t it? I guess we’ll see.)

5. catbyrd

July 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM

So…he was in a “relationship ” with another girl for FOUR months, and now everyone is ready to crucify the guy? It might be a story if it were four YEARS. And I’m pretty sure he’s not the first contestant that went on the show purely for exposure. He probably had no idea he would end up actually falling for Hannah. Sorry Haley, but if he was that into you, he never would have went on the show.

6. keddo

July 9, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Why do so many people on this series have such a problem giving a toast? So often they say, “give a cheers to”, when they should actually “propose (or give) a toast to”, then say what they want to say about whatever, followed by, “to our future (or the most beautiful woman I’m with tonight, or whatever)”, followed by whoever agrees with the toast saying, “cheers”, or “to our future”, as they clink and drink.
    TL;DR – It’s a toast, not a “cheers”.

7. cjscjs711

July 9, 2019 at 11:15 PM

Bravo, Steve, on Jed’s career. As the saying goes, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Yes, he not only is not a good singer, he sounds like 8 million other guys who are not good singers and his songwriting is nothing to write home about either. And I can’t tell you how I wanted to shout at the TV, “Tune your damn guitar!” Can’t freaking stand out of tune string instruments.

Frankly, I’ve never thought Luke was so bad. Most of what he’s said so far sounds like he just wasn’t made for this kind of situation. Most guys, in the real world, who were getting set to marry a woman WOULD definitely get upset hearing she just went bungee jumping, naked, chest-to-chest, loin-to-loin with another guy. And in the real world, it would hurt to hear that other guy excitedly describing it. But this – that he signed up for – is not the real world.

It sounds like he got very right-wing Christian judgmental with her (After what he admitted he’d done? Much double standard?)

My guess is, as she said to him Week 3, he needed to stop “flaunting our relationship in front of the other guys” because it obviously just would get them worked up and jealous. Did producers keep encouraging him?

Steve, I think religion played a big part in it, with likely many deep religious conversations we were not privy to. But….. guy had a great body, enough to make the other guys jealous of that, too; and she admitted to Harrison that Luke was the best kisser, saying she could go on with him for hours. So, the physical attraction I think played a big role.

They needed a villain, they guys already were fomenting it – jealousy probably foremost – it was easiest for producers to just run with that one and amplify the dislike and hatred in whatever ways or hints they could.

Please do try to get an interview with Luke P. As for his slut-shaming Hannah, sometimes these ex-anythings are the worst. Ex-smokers – they are the worst to light up around. Ex-addicts, etc. Especially in the beginning, they have zero tolerance for being around their old vice. Hopefully, Luke’s attitude toward pre-marital sex will soften with age and reality and waking up to the 21st century. But if the up-coming scene is what it looks like, I can’t blame Hannah for being offended.

July 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM

OK, here goes on Luke. What I got from that hometown is that Luke is the Big Dog in his town, or at least with his group. As long as he’s the Big Dog and pretty much gets to dictate what happens, he’s fine. On The Bachelorette, he not only wasn’t the Big Dog and didn’t get to dictate terms, but his attempts to control everyone on the show turned everyone against him. He was a fish out of water at that point, so things just went from bad to worst. It would never work with him and Hannah, because as much of a mess that Hannah is, she’s not going to put up with a controlling guy. That’s been the basis of the arguments she’s had with him. Luke doesn’t get to dictate what she, or anyone else does on The Bachelorette. Drives him crazy. As far as his religion goes, Christianity really isn’t something that really “changes” someone outwardly instantaneously. I mean, they’re supposed to change, and as they grow and mature with their faith, they hopefully make positive changes and improve. But it’s not surprising that a relatively new Christian of his age, really doesn’t much understand his religion yet & comes across as a hypocrite. I give him somewhat of a pass because of his age. But he is still representing his religion poorly and he really needs to own it. I hope he comes out and falls on his sword and apologizes for his behavior on MTA. There’s really no place else to go with it. If he tries to justify it, blame others or claim that he was edited poorly, it’s not going to come across well. I think we’ll see very quickly if Luke has learned anything, because they’re going to come at him hard and he needs to just take it like a man. I’m guessing he starts by apologizing, but I bet he won’t stick to it when the guys bring the heat on him. He can’t handle that.

9. corn29

July 14, 2019 at 9:32 PM

Not considering what we know about Jed now — but if we didn’t know about Jed’s GF prior to the show, the reaction to the rose ceremony would have been different…

… I’m totally with Jed about saying WTF when he gets a rose after Luke.

Personally, I would have gone up to Hannah to say goodbye and excused myself from the running. There’s no way in hell, no matter how hot she is or the connection we supposedly have, that the woman for me has that bad of a decision making process.

10. corn29

July 14, 2019 at 9:34 PM

> Why do so many people on this series have such a problem giving a toast?

Because it’s not organic and completely manufactured.

You’re right, making a toast is easy. When it’s genuine that is. When you have to pull stuff out of your rear, because everything around you is manipulated, that’s when it gets hard I imagine.

11. jlal

July 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM

I felt like Luke’s family was trying to redeem his rep., but how would they know how bad he’s been? Hannah should sent him packing weeks ago. He is an insecure, immature, jealous, controller, who uses his religion as an excuse to be judgmental. No thanks!

Jed was so playing a game with Haley, Hannah and the show. I don’t think for a minute he was serious, just playing along.

I like Peter and had no issue with his calling his car baby. I’m a car nut and have always love cars. I get that to some (most of my family and friends) a car is just to get from point A to B, but to us car lovers they are much more. Also, had no issue with taking her for a flight. Pretty cool and something I’d have loved to do. Condoms in the console, I didn’t think good or bad. Just great he practices safe sex. I’m a women, but someone tell me is that bad like RS seems to think?

Tyler is and has always been my favorite.

12. kabuki

July 15, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Late to the party, but what’s in it for Pilot Pete? I read he’s a pilot for Delta Airlines. He probably does regional flights as he’s a newbie. How did he get the time off to do this show (or does he not have a job anymore?)? If I were the Bachelorette, I’d be looking at why someone would come on the show and on that basis alone, I’d choose Peter. He has nothing to gain by being on the show other than to find someone. He’s not going to give up being a commercial pilot in order to become a model or sports commentator. He seems really nice and into her. His family seemed very nice. He has a good job and he doesn’t live in some hellacious town in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I am too rational, but I just don’t get why she’d go for Luke and his dodgy music career, especially since it’s obvious he has no talent. I am convinced that Luke was a producer pick and she was forced to keep him on to keep the drama going. Tyler is dullsville. I can’t take his monotone dude-alicious voice, but I suppose if he’s not talking, he’s easy on the eye. At least working for his father’s business he has a guaranteed paycheck coming in. Hannah just has bad taste in men. My picks: #1. Peter; #2. Tyler. No one else qualifies.