The Bachelorette 15 - Hannah

The “Bachelorette” Hannah – Episode 8 Recap, (EXCLUSIVE) BIP Engagements, “Men Tell All” Films This Week, and Jed Speaks Out Finally. Sort Of.

Photo Credit: ABC

-Jed’s hometown. Yippppeeeeeee!!!!! Now lets have some fun. Luke’s been the villain all season long, but there was nothing about his hometown date that gave him a villain edit. Obviously same with Peter and Tyler. But there’s always one hometown every season where the family questions things and the date just doesn’t go all that great. That was Jed’s last night for sure. But lets get started first off with what they did during the day: created a song. You know, for a guy who initially told Hannah his reason for doing the show was because of the platform, but then reversed back saying that all changed when he met her, the number of times Jed has played his guitar this season is staggering. And he does it again as they create a song about their journey thus far and record it at a studio. I’m gonna go on record and say that song will not crack the top 4985328481 on Itunes. Just sayin’. All little pitchy, dawg.

-Jed has obviously taken a ton of heat the last few weeks after what’s been revealed. And deservedly so. But lets not mistake one major thing about the guy and that’s the criticism of his music. I don’t think that Jed’s music career isn’t gonna take off because he did the show or because of what’s come out about him recently. I think his music career isn’t gonna take off because in my opinion, he’s not that good of a singer. I know he’s a struggling musician who likes to perform at male revue shows on the side taking off most of his clothes while overheated women throw money on a stage, but I just don’t think the guy’s voice is very good. Maybe on the show he was nervous. Maybe he didn’t have the proper band around him. But from what I’ve seen and heard on the show, guys like him are a dime a dozen in Nashville. He’s gonna need to bring more to the table to make it in that industry. Maybe he’ll get better someday, I don’t know. But as of right now, I don’t think he has the chops to make it in music.

-So we meet his mom Gina, dad Jerry, and sister Lilly. One of the first things Jed tells them when they meet up is that they had their first date in Boston. Well, considering that was probably the most spoiled 1-on-1 date in real time we had all season, I’m guessing they already knew that. There isn’t a single family on this show that once their child leaves to film isn’t invested in what’s going on. They all follow along somehow, but they basically just need to play dumb on the hometown. They knew Jed had a 1-on-1 in Boston. And why is Jed still bragging about the fact he made a no-look basket from two feet away? Dude, it wasn’t that big of a deal. He’s sounding like he took Jaylen Brown to point game 1-on-1. You made a shot from literally right under the basket. I don’t care if you were looking or not. Not that big of a deal. Calm down.

-The best part of this date was Jed’s mom making a toast. “When you stick to the truth, it’s beneficial to everybody.” Here, here Mrs. Wyatt. We read ya’ loud and clear. Well, except for your son. I think he might’ve missed that message somewhere along the way from being in the Bahamas with Haley 3 weeks before filming, to texting Haley “I Love You” up until his flight left for LA, to the ghosting her when he got back. You know who else didn’t miss the clear irony in Mrs. Wyatt’s toast last night? Hannah. She was gushing with complimentary tweets on Peter and Tyler’s date. Took the hammer to Luke during his hometown, then only tweeted one time (the fewest of the four) during Jed’s hometown date. This was the tweet she sent after Jed’s moms toast:

I can practically see the sarcasm dripping from Hannah’s tweet. It did not go unnoticed.

-Going into this date, a lot of you had asked last week about Jed’s family and did they know about Haley. Well, they certainly knew of Haley since she had mentioned in interviews and on my podcast she had met them a few times. When his mother brought up last night an ex-girlfriend he had for years, that wasn’t Haley. We know Haley was only with him in the 4 months leading up to him leaving for the show. No, that was someone else – who has chosen to remain out of the spotlight and share anything publicly. But yeah, not someone who is complimentary to say the least. Look, I totally understand parents being protective of their kids. And Jed’s parents were absolutely that last night, as was his sister. But they are also doing that I’m guessing not having ever seen or heard 98% of the stuff Jed has said and done with other women. They’ve seen the Haley stuff now which is pretty indefensible. But hell, I’ve seen more things Jed has sent to women than they have, I guarantee it. So while I get its natural to protect your son, they also don’t have the full story.

-If anything, his family last night was easily the most skeptical of the whole situation given how his mother said she didn’t think he was ready to get engaged, his dad saying “it doesn’t seem real to me, but hey, you’re livin’ it,” and even his sister seeming skeptical, although she took to IG last night saying her talk with Hannah was way more positive than they showed. Soooo yeah, looks like another family that will absolutely go scorched earth on everyone once this thing is all over. Jed is not a serial killer. Jed has not committed crimes. Jed is not a menace to society. We get that. We’re not saying that. But what we are saying is Jed’s behavior in how he treated this show, the lies that he told, and the stringing along of women was flat out wrong. Period. End of story. Don’t make this into something it isn’t. The whole “there are worse things going on in the world” argument makes me want to crush my skull with a hammer. OF COURSE THERE ARE. If we were only allowed to give opinions on the most pressing issue in the world, this would be a very boring world. We’re not arguing that. We’re talking about the here and now with THIS situation. Jed deserves the criticism he’s getting for what he did. No, not death threats and harassment to his family, but what we’re saying about him. I don’t understand how people can’t see that.

-As for the rose ceremony, make no mistake, this was all planned by production. Hannah didn’t just have some sort of epiphany right before the final rose and realize she didn’t know what to do. She’s talking with producers all day every day. They knew exactly what was going to happen heading into that rose ceremony. The contestants don’t call the shots on this show. 14 previous Bachelorettes before her all had to eliminated someone at the hometown date rose ceremony. And I’m guessing if you interviewed all 14 and asked them, “If you could’ve taken all 4 to the overnights would you have,” I’m guessing at least a few of them would’ve said yes. So why was Hannah allowed to and no one else? Answer: Because it’s season 38 and they’re looking to have a new “first” every season. I don’t know what next seasons “first” is going to be, but I guarantee we’ll get one. Seems like we’ve had 4 or 5 seasons in a row now where there’s been something we’ve never seen before. That’s why they have story editors on this show. This stuff is created behind the scenes long before you see it play out. So on to Greece we go with 4 guys as the sh** will completely hit the fan next week as Luke and Hannah’s conversation will be the water cooler talk for the next couple weeks. Get ready. It’s coming. And there isn’t anything I’m dreading more.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. crushonspivey

July 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Jed’s family is getting a bad rap. I think they know he is immature and not ready. They said so, so is wasn’t about Hannah. She just happened to be the girl there that night. It was about Jed. And Jed’s parents were pretty honest about him. They know the dude is still a mess and not ready. Whether it was Hannah, Haley or any other girl. But Hannah ignores what they were putting down. They really tried to warn her about their boy. And many viewers did not like it. I found it refreshing. Honest hometowns are always the best hometowns.

2. aflo78

July 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM

Also, can we address the little temper tantrum Jed threw at the rose ceremony!!!! Do you think the producers had any clue about Haley and knew the goldmine they hit with that little outburst?

3. ctrealitygirl

July 9, 2019 at 1:19 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing last night, aflo78! Wondering if Jed cringed when he saw that back after all the bad publicity he’s gotten and is whining about. Like the old saying goes: “If you want to play, you have to pay.” Hilarious!

4. justa_viewer

July 9, 2019 at 1:57 PM

“Seems like a low blow. YOU were the one that kept him around all season. If it was as bad as you’re saying it was, then you should’ve let him go early…..Going all in 4 times seems a bit excessive.”

Maybe we’ll understand it better–and the anger that drove those comments–after watching Luke try to shame her (or come over as superior to her, however you want to frame it) next week. Just a thought. Hell hath no fury like a bachelorette scorned, perhaps.

I’m pretty sure if I had given a problem boyfriend the benefit of the doubt multiple times, only to have him turn on me in the end and reject me because I was no longer “godly” enough for him, I’d be nursing a bit of a grudge. (I’m not saying that’s what happened, but it does kind of look like it, doesn’t it? I guess we’ll see.)

5. catbyrd

July 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM

So…he was in a “relationship ” with another girl for FOUR months, and now everyone is ready to crucify the guy? It might be a story if it were four YEARS. And I’m pretty sure he’s not the first contestant that went on the show purely for exposure. He probably had no idea he would end up actually falling for Hannah. Sorry Haley, but if he was that into you, he never would have went on the show.

6. keddo

July 9, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Why do so many people on this series have such a problem giving a toast? So often they say, “give a cheers to”, when they should actually “propose (or give) a toast to”, then say what they want to say about whatever, followed by, “to our future (or the most beautiful woman I’m with tonight, or whatever)”, followed by whoever agrees with the toast saying, “cheers”, or “to our future”, as they clink and drink.
    TL;DR – It’s a toast, not a “cheers”.

7. cjscjs711

July 9, 2019 at 11:15 PM

Bravo, Steve, on Jed’s career. As the saying goes, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Yes, he not only is not a good singer, he sounds like 8 million other guys who are not good singers and his songwriting is nothing to write home about either. And I can’t tell you how I wanted to shout at the TV, “Tune your damn guitar!” Can’t freaking stand out of tune string instruments.

Frankly, I’ve never thought Luke was so bad. Most of what he’s said so far sounds like he just wasn’t made for this kind of situation. Most guys, in the real world, who were getting set to marry a woman WOULD definitely get upset hearing she just went bungee jumping, naked, chest-to-chest, loin-to-loin with another guy. And in the real world, it would hurt to hear that other guy excitedly describing it. But this – that he signed up for – is not the real world.

It sounds like he got very right-wing Christian judgmental with her (After what he admitted he’d done? Much double standard?)

My guess is, as she said to him Week 3, he needed to stop “flaunting our relationship in front of the other guys” because it obviously just would get them worked up and jealous. Did producers keep encouraging him?

Steve, I think religion played a big part in it, with likely many deep religious conversations we were not privy to. But….. guy had a great body, enough to make the other guys jealous of that, too; and she admitted to Harrison that Luke was the best kisser, saying she could go on with him for hours. So, the physical attraction I think played a big role.

They needed a villain, they guys already were fomenting it – jealousy probably foremost – it was easiest for producers to just run with that one and amplify the dislike and hatred in whatever ways or hints they could.

Please do try to get an interview with Luke P. As for his slut-shaming Hannah, sometimes these ex-anythings are the worst. Ex-smokers – they are the worst to light up around. Ex-addicts, etc. Especially in the beginning, they have zero tolerance for being around their old vice. Hopefully, Luke’s attitude toward pre-marital sex will soften with age and reality and waking up to the 21st century. But if the up-coming scene is what it looks like, I can’t blame Hannah for being offended.

July 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM

OK, here goes on Luke. What I got from that hometown is that Luke is the Big Dog in his town, or at least with his group. As long as he’s the Big Dog and pretty much gets to dictate what happens, he’s fine. On The Bachelorette, he not only wasn’t the Big Dog and didn’t get to dictate terms, but his attempts to control everyone on the show turned everyone against him. He was a fish out of water at that point, so things just went from bad to worst. It would never work with him and Hannah, because as much of a mess that Hannah is, she’s not going to put up with a controlling guy. That’s been the basis of the arguments she’s had with him. Luke doesn’t get to dictate what she, or anyone else does on The Bachelorette. Drives him crazy. As far as his religion goes, Christianity really isn’t something that really “changes” someone outwardly instantaneously. I mean, they’re supposed to change, and as they grow and mature with their faith, they hopefully make positive changes and improve. But it’s not surprising that a relatively new Christian of his age, really doesn’t much understand his religion yet & comes across as a hypocrite. I give him somewhat of a pass because of his age. But he is still representing his religion poorly and he really needs to own it. I hope he comes out and falls on his sword and apologizes for his behavior on MTA. There’s really no place else to go with it. If he tries to justify it, blame others or claim that he was edited poorly, it’s not going to come across well. I think we’ll see very quickly if Luke has learned anything, because they’re going to come at him hard and he needs to just take it like a man. I’m guessing he starts by apologizing, but I bet he won’t stick to it when the guys bring the heat on him. He can’t handle that.

9. corn29

July 14, 2019 at 9:32 PM

Not considering what we know about Jed now — but if we didn’t know about Jed’s GF prior to the show, the reaction to the rose ceremony would have been different…

… I’m totally with Jed about saying WTF when he gets a rose after Luke.

Personally, I would have gone up to Hannah to say goodbye and excused myself from the running. There’s no way in hell, no matter how hot she is or the connection we supposedly have, that the woman for me has that bad of a decision making process.

10. corn29

July 14, 2019 at 9:34 PM

> Why do so many people on this series have such a problem giving a toast?

Because it’s not organic and completely manufactured.

You’re right, making a toast is easy. When it’s genuine that is. When you have to pull stuff out of your rear, because everything around you is manipulated, that’s when it gets hard I imagine.

11. jlal

July 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM

I felt like Luke’s family was trying to redeem his rep., but how would they know how bad he’s been? Hannah should sent him packing weeks ago. He is an insecure, immature, jealous, controller, who uses his religion as an excuse to be judgmental. No thanks!

Jed was so playing a game with Haley, Hannah and the show. I don’t think for a minute he was serious, just playing along.

I like Peter and had no issue with his calling his car baby. I’m a car nut and have always love cars. I get that to some (most of my family and friends) a car is just to get from point A to B, but to us car lovers they are much more. Also, had no issue with taking her for a flight. Pretty cool and something I’d have loved to do. Condoms in the console, I didn’t think good or bad. Just great he practices safe sex. I’m a women, but someone tell me is that bad like RS seems to think?

Tyler is and has always been my favorite.

12. kabuki

July 15, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Late to the party, but what’s in it for Pilot Pete? I read he’s a pilot for Delta Airlines. He probably does regional flights as he’s a newbie. How did he get the time off to do this show (or does he not have a job anymore?)? If I were the Bachelorette, I’d be looking at why someone would come on the show and on that basis alone, I’d choose Peter. He has nothing to gain by being on the show other than to find someone. He’s not going to give up being a commercial pilot in order to become a model or sports commentator. He seems really nice and into her. His family seemed very nice. He has a good job and he doesn’t live in some hellacious town in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I am too rational, but I just don’t get why she’d go for Luke and his dodgy music career, especially since it’s obvious he has no talent. I am convinced that Luke was a producer pick and she was forced to keep him on to keep the drama going. Tyler is dullsville. I can’t take his monotone dude-alicious voice, but I suppose if he’s not talking, he’s easy on the eye. At least working for his father’s business he has a guaranteed paycheck coming in. Hannah just has bad taste in men. My picks: #1. Peter; #2. Tyler. No one else qualifies.