The Bachelor 24 - Peter

The “Bachelor” Peter – Clare is the “Bachelorette,” Sourcing Issues, WTA Thoughts, & Episode #26 of the “He Said, She Said” Podcast

Photo Credit: ABC

A lot of different angles to cover this Clare stuff from, so lets jump right into it. Why Clare? Why not Tayshia, or Tia, or Kelsey? Or anyone else? We don’t have an answer yet since Chris Harrison or Robert Mills have spoken on it yet, but I’m sure it’ll be along the lines of they took some heat for the young cast this season that a lot of people couldn’t get behind, so they decided to change things up. Does this mean that every “Bachelorette” moving forward is going to be in their mid to late 30’s? No. But the stars aligned right this season for Clare. Good for her. Remember last week I told you I was hearing that it was most likely not gonna be anyone from Peter’s season. Was hearing that for the last couple months that they just did not think any of Peter’s women were right for the role. That ended up being the case.

And you know what we can also put to bed now? This notion that because I spoil something early on a “Bachelor/ette” announcement, that the show will suddenly change it just to prove me wrong. Please. Did people honestly think because I confirmed it was Clare and posted that on Saturday, they’d literally change their whole season and swap out their lead by Monday? C’mon guys. I’ve lost track of how many things I’ve told you they were going to announce before they announced it and they never ended up changing it. Some things this show just has to accept I’m going to spoil before they “officially” announce it. There’s nothing they can do about it. I’ve got excellent sources when it comes to this franchise, so all they can do is hope. But if you actually thought they were gonna swap out Clare for someone else because I confirmed it two days earlier, well, then I’m not sure what to tell ya’. Doesn’t work that way.

How casting works for either the “Bachelor/ette” is they are casting contestants 12 months out of the year. Yes, there is “final casting weekend” (which is done over multiple weekends) for “Bachelor” it’s in July/August and for “Bachelorette” it’s in January/February. So they usually narrow it down to 50 guys or so that are flown out to LA for “Bachelorette,” then they make their decisions. Which they did for this upcoming season. However, with Tayshia, Tia, and Kelsey in mind (all either 28 or 29), they had a set group of guys. The decision to name Clare wasn’t made until after all of final casting weekend happened and guys had been told they were accepted. Over the weekend I posted this tweet of all the ages of guys I’d heard had been accepted and were on my casting list for this season:

I can already tell you that the 25 year old and both 26 year olds were contacted by production and told they won’t be needed anymore because they went in a different direction with the “Bachelorette.” Translation: Clare is older and we really don’t think putting someone 14 years younger than her on her season is all that conducive to her finding a man. So you can cross those three off. I can’t imagine the 23 year old is gonna be on either, but haven’t gotten any confirmation on that yet.

Another thing that I do know is happening is they are actually still casting for Clare’s season. Like as in yesterday, guys were out there interviewing for her season for the first time. So not only is this show dealing with the fact they have to postpone and most likely cancel all international travel this season, but now they’ve got a week to fill out a cast for her, since guys leave next Monday for LA. Filming begins next Friday. So of the 14 guys I had as of Saturday, I know at least 5 that aren’t on anymore, so this list will be ever changing. I’m assuming they’re gonna release all the “potential” guys for her season on Facebook next Wednesday or so like they have the past few seasons, so that’ll help. By next week, when guys start leaving and probably shutting down their social media accounts, I might have a better idea of the guys that I have and whether or not they’re going on the show. But just know they were meetings guys FOR THE FIRST TIME yesterday in casting for Clare’s season.

I also put out this tweet late last week:

It kinda got people in a frenzy when it really shouldn’t. No, it’s nobody famous. Nor is it a former contestant. The person in question I was talking about (and I still don’t know if it’s true he’s being cast) is just a guy. A guy that has a relation to someone that is somewhat famous. Depending on your definition of “famous.” Definitely a guy on TV that’s for sure. So it’s not a huge thing. If he gets cast, I’ll tell you which one he is. If he doesn’t, then it’s not a thing and didn’t matter. Just let me be excited for this guy if he makes it on ha ha. I need some laughter right now.

Now regardless of who the guys are, I see this notion that because it’s going to lean towards being an older cast, that they’ll all be mature and we should expect 25+ guys to be on their best behavior. Trust me, this show may have an older cast for Clare, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be the same exact drama we see every season. They’re already gonna have a built-in storyline of guys in their late 20’s versus the guys who get cast in their mid-late 30’s. You don’t think there will be an “age battle” this season? There most certainly will be. You don’t think a guy will be telling another guy (or telling Clare) that so-and-so is too young and not ready for what she wants? It’s coming. Get ready for it. Just because it’s an older cast than what we’re used to, doesn’t mean all the sudden everyone will be playing nicey-nice in the house. You’re going to see the same exact drama you see every season. Hell with more 30 year olds than we’re used to, I can even see more peacocking, and alpha male-ing than normal. Remember it’s a TV show first and foremost. They might’ve gone with the oldest “Bachelorette” lead ever, but it doesn’t mean the show changes.

In terms of how this affects BIP going forward, the sentiment seems to be, “Well, you’ve got all these older guys on Clare’s season, and Peter had a bunch of young women. How is that gonna play out in Paradise? A bunch of 35 year olds chasing after 23 year olds?” Well, I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves here. I don’t think Clare’s cast is gonna be all 35 and older men. Lets wait til we see the full cast list before we judge how Paradise is going to look. I think people are thinking this is gonna throw off the whole vibe of Paradise. I don’t think it will. It’ll still be the same thing.

1. adelina

March 3, 2020 at 9:51 AM

Did anyone hear my eyeroll last night when Rachel Lindsey showed up on behalf of ABC Bachelor Nation to talk about how the bullying needs to stop. I get that the messages are ridiculous and the racist nature of some of the messages is unacceptable and awful – but….

This is the same show that tries their hardest each season to edit their show so that at least one person is a villain (bring on the bullying messages) and several others are portrayed as unhinged, unstable, etc. Then they bring their righteous spokesperson out to let everyone know it “has to stop.” Meanwhile the WTA girls are all holding hands as if they’re re-telling a story about all of them being tortured.

Here’s a suggestion….don’t go on the show. Oh, you really want to find love? Okay….maybe shut down your social media accounts. Oh wait, you can’t do that because how else will you get the notoriety and attention that you’re seeking.

Don’t get me wrong. Bullying and racist comments are never okay….but if you anticipate this affecting your mental health, perhaps think twice about participating in this clusterf*ck of a show.

2. mgb970

March 3, 2020 at 11:07 AM

> And it was nice of them to address the racist,
    > hateful messages some of the women received this season.

… and there’s Tammy, whose every other word this season was f*ck or b*tch, crying with the other posers on stage.

Here’s a hint Tammy… YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

3. mgb970

March 3, 2020 at 11:09 AM

Did anyone have a Tierra flashback last night (I cannot help my eyebrow/part of my sparkle), when Alayah was trying to explain her princess voice, her screwed up personality, etc. last night?

4. nuts

March 3, 2020 at 11:22 AM

“Peter got off so easy on his hot seat. Holy crap. I can’t remember a lead never having to answer any hard questions whatsoever in that spot. Did anyone even ask him anything relevant? “Do you wish you made better decisions” I think was the toughest question asked. And might’ve been the only one. Huh? Whaaaaa?”

Maybe they were afraid he’d start crying and want his mommy!

5. kabuki

March 3, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Tammy did herself no favors last night. I swear the camera crew was instructed to be on “eyeroll watch” because there were many shots of Tammy rolling her eyes in very dramatic fashion. If I were watching the show in a group setting, I would have had a drinking contest. Every time Tammy rolls her eyes you have to take a shot. There would have been a lot of buzzed people at my house for sure! Bummer that Kelley was not invited. There were so many women who were eliminated early on–and I had absolutely no recollection of them–but Kelley was deliberately left out because she couldn’t or wouldn’t play the game. Weird that Peter’s parents were rolled out to crash the viewing parties, but I guess it’s because they are local and had nothing else going on at the time. Time to cut the cord, Peter.

6. jdubtrey

March 3, 2020 at 12:56 PM

So, the way to end the abuse is to just cancel the show?

7. justsaying

March 3, 2020 at 2:17 PM

Pete, Pete, Pete went from I’m in love with all three women to telling Victoria that he was ‘falling in love’. He just boldfaced lied and lied and lied some more. Madi looked so thrilled to be at the rose ceremony.

Kelsey said ‘I never said I was sober’, cradles a giant champagne bottle and ends the episode by scoffing down more champagne and wonders why she would be called out for alcoholic tendencies?? Really? LOL! Is Kelsey suppose to be flattered to be compared to Asheley I.? Good grief!

Props to Savannah for calling out Pete for sending home one normal lady after another. Savannah is Kelley 2.0.

As for the finale, production must have made Madi spend time with entitled Pete. Just hold your breath Madi and power through and hopefully, she can run for the hills. Hannah Anne, don’t be Pete’s door mat. Just don’t.

8. crushonspivey

March 3, 2020 at 2:30 PM

After seeing the clips from last night, I have a theory. I think both girls leave. For different reasons though.

Madison leaves because she can’t get over the fact Pete chose to have sex with 2 girls days before he was supposed to propose to her. Show or not, that is just super weird and I can see why some girls/guys would hate that. So she bails.

And Hannah Ann bails because she sees that she is #2. That rose ceremony was awkward for her even after Victoria left. Pete made it clear Madison was his #1 choice. Then in the other preview for next week, it is obvious Hannah Ann is putting Pete on the spot to make his feelings knows. I bet he doesn’t, so she bails.

So Pete is left with no girls at the end, and the mad dash for him to safe face ensues cuz he got blown up by his poor choices.

Also, on After, Chris Harrison blew it with his question to Victoria. He asked if she ended marriages. Of course she could say no. Plausible deniability there as you can claim those marriages ended due to internal marriage factors that had zero to do with her, and the guys cheated because of that. Harrison should have asked her if she has ever had sex with married men. There is no out on that question. And I bet she would have not answered that question.

9. jlal

March 3, 2020 at 5:15 PM

I agree Crush on the Victoria thing. She didn’t break up any marriages. The only people who can do that are the two married people.
    I thought Tammy showed her true colors; can’t blame it on the edit now.

10. brighteyedgirl

March 3, 2020 at 9:01 PM

Hey, I actually wrote Steve about that theory 3 weeks ago in his reader emails column from 2/12/20 (page 4). He said “No, she’s there on final rose ceremony day.” But I don’t think he understood what I was saying bc I think it’s a very real possibility HA leaves too. We’ll see.

Separately, I understand why the ex married women might not want to come forward with their stories but I hope they find the courage to do so. It’s not right what their husbands did. VF is getting all the heat when it takes two to tango.

11. dwwatchesreality

March 4, 2020 at 4:44 PM

Just a comment on the privacy question for the Claire spoiler. I think it makes a HUGE difference that it was posted in a PRIVATE group. If you share something from a private group, you should not attach a name to it, huge news or not. If she had been willing to be public with it, she would not have limited her sharing to a private group. People expect privacy when sharing in a private group. Whoever sent you the information is really the one who should have blocked out the name, but my opinion stays the same. I know you disagree with me, but I hope you will at least consider my take. You are well aware of what public exposure can bring, so people should only get brought into public exposure with their full knowledge and permission. How she stated the information should be behind the expectation of privacy. She wasn’t careful with how she shared because she expected privacy.

12. dwwatchesreality

March 4, 2020 at 4:52 PM

PS – I am NOT part of that Facebook group, but I AM someone who values my privacy, despite quite a bit of addiction to on-line forums. I curate what goes on public pages carefully. I agree that demanding credit to the name when it should never have been used anyway is silly, but it doesn’t change the fact that you have no idea what her reasons are for being posting privately, and as a result you have no idea what destruction you might be creating by going public now. My understanding from the groups I do belong to is that they expect the private group to be credited by name when someone reports on something they read there, but not the poster.