The Bachelor 21 - Nick

“Bachelor” Nick Episode 2 Recap Incl Corinne and Liz Talk

Photo Credit: ABC

-I really, really, really would like to talk about Danielle’s 1-on-1 date with Nick, but honestly, outside of their dinner conversation, tell me one thing that happened. You can’t really. Once the first group date was over, we were 55 minutes into the show. At that point, I started sensing that we were doomed for another “To Be Continued…” at the end of the episode. But then they get to Danielle’s date, and practically half her date is interspersed with clips from back at the mansion and Liz talking about her hookup with Nick 9 months ago. Were you aware of that? That Nick and Liz hooked up at Tanner and Jade’s wedding? I wasn’t sure if you caught them mentioning that this season. It’s been very subtle and they were doing their best to keep it under wraps, so wasn’t sure if you were able to catch on. Good. I guess you do comprehend things when you’re beaten over the head with a frying pan with it non stop for two episodes. Whatever the case, I’d say Danielle got screwed. Her date took second fiddle to the Nick/Liz storyline.

-Is it just me or does Danielle come across as someone who will get eaten alive by this show? She seems waaaaay too nice to be dealing with these people and these producers. She certainly doesn’t come across as a Type A personality and I think she’s completely out of her element in all of this. Nice girl, tragic backstory, and doesn’t fit this show at all. You can already tell that this is not the type of girl Nick is attracted to. Much too soft spoken – literally. I need to turn my volume up to 100 just to hear her speak. Obviously she can’t help her own voice, I get that. But it certainly fits with her personality as she comes across as one of the more sweet and likable girls on the show. Which means Nick is going to dump her, and as I reported in the spoilers, apparently she took it very hard. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Lets focus on this date that we barely saw any of because we were force fed the Nick and Liz Sex Story from 9 months ago (well, technically now it’s been a year ago, but you know what I mean. At the time this date was filmed on Sept. 27th, the hookup was 9 months prior).

-They took a helicopter to Newport Beach that landed on a yacht. From there they…well, what did they do? Talk? I know that one of the questions on the Bachelor Fantasy League this week had a True or False question if there was a hot tub scene in last night’s episode. The answer was true. Nick and Danielle did get into a hot tub together on the yacht. I know I saw it earlier in the episode when they were previewing it, but did we actually see it once they were on the yacht? I easily could’ve been looking away or looking down taking notes, but for some reason I don’t remember them showing Nick and Danielle in the hot tub on the yacht while they were on it. But I could be wrong. Whatever the case, it happened. And yes, last week I got 10 for 10 on the Bachelor Fantasy League questions, and I’m sure I’m gonna be 7 for 7 this week. Look, I know I’m not winning. Even if my name did get randomly picked, it’s not like they’d actually let me go nor would I want to. I’m just playing for the satisfaction of getting every question right all season. So far so good.

-Back at the mansion, Liz is feeling conflicted of carrying around this secret of her and Nick’s past. She feels the need to tell someone, so she tells Christen who promises not to say anything to anyone. They never really went into a reason as to why Christen was the one she trusted the most, but just as Liz is pretty horrible at reading guys, she doubled down and chose someone who blabbed to Nick the second she got a chance later in the episode. Liz tells Christen they’d met before at Tanner and Jade’s wedding and had sex. Christen is the self-proclaimed virgin by the way, so I’m pretty sure her ears were spouting out blood listening to Liz kiss and tell from their romp in the hotel room. Christen leaves that conversation knowing two things now: 1) Liz and Nick met and had sex before 2) Liz has a giant back tattoo that she probably will regret until the end of time.

-Back on the 1-on-1 date, Nick and Danielle sit down for dinner and Danielle basically says, “Ummmm, who are you and why are you the Bachelor?” Not sure why Danielle played dumb here. Even if she didn’t particularly watch Nick on Andi and Kaitlyn’s season, she’s very close friends with Wells, and I’m sure he filled her on Nick’s past with the show – among other things. But Nick had to explain to her how he finished second on both Andi and Kaitlyn’s season and was heartbroken. Of course, he left out the part where on his flight home from the Dominican Republic he spoiled his whole season by talking about it on the plane, which was subsequently recorded and sent to me to post. Still the greatest spoiler I’ve ever gotten and I don’t think it’ll ever be topped. No way anything comes close, really. All my other spoilers I just tell you, but I can’t reveal how or where it came from, even though if you knew, you’d realize they were right. Kinda like this season’s. But to be able to actually give proof of someone spoiling their own season that no one else had, that was the ultimate. Thanks again to Nick and his bag of Cheetos!

-So Nick and Danielle walk around the Balboa Fun Zone and get on the Ferris wheel for a little make out fun. Is there a bigger layup ride in all rides that practically guarantees a make out than a Ferris wheel? I mean, you can’t make out on the Zipper locked in that cage spinning to your death. Basically if you’re a girl and you’re asked on the Ferris wheel by the boy, just assume he wants to make out with you among other things. As I was reminded on Twitter last night, we all remember the movie Fear with Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon don’t we? Who could forget that scene. I guess I’m talking to 7th graders right about now, since adults don’t need to go on a Ferris wheel to get some. So yeah, all you 12 year olds out there, at your school carnival, just know what you’re getting into if little Derek asks if you want to go on the Ferris wheel. Hope you brought your breath mints. As for Nick and Danielle, of course he waited til he got to the top to make out. That’s the most discreet…and of course Reality Steve spies happened to be on the grounds there that night and were taking pictures the whole time.

1. kimmyfromdablock

January 10, 2017 at 9:37 AM

That 1980’s wedding dress on Vanessa was scarily similar to my 1989 wedding dress. So horrible, but at the time, I thought I was the sh*t.

2. purplerayne

January 10, 2017 at 10:12 AM

“Could Nick have made an effort to if he really was interested in her after she didn’t give him her number?”

Thats the point! He didnt, so clearly he wasnt interested….thus why did Liz come on the show? She turned him down, for her own valid reasons, when he asked for her number. And since he didnt make an attempt to chase her, it shouldve told her plainly that he wasnt that into her. OR maybe he couldve been but the moment was gone/lost. Guys are simple. If they want someone, they will make it known. BTW lets note pretend that she didnt come on the show for attention and social media exposure for her travel blog.

January 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Liz didn’t misread Nick, at all. I’m sure he was totally fine with leaving it as a one night hook-up. Had Liz pursued Nick later, I doubt he would have even returned a text. So, while I get that Nick wasn’t thrilled that Liz kinda just showed up at his Bachelor gig, to pretend that Liz should have just got his number & called him & implying anything might have come of it, is just complete BS. I hate to say it, but he already had Liz. He’s looking for new fantasy suite material. That’s what Nick is all about. I’m really wondering, based on his obvious and extremely morally casual attitude towards the girls, especially Corrinne, how this season stays on the rails. This feels like it’s headed into Juan Pah-blow 2.0 territory where you wonder if any of the girls will still like him, at all, at the end.

4. mikeyy

January 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Sorry purplerayne, but couldn’t agree with you more. To say that guys are “simple” is just not true. If you ask for someone’s number and they decline to give it you, to me it indicates they are not interested. Not every guy is going to fight for a woman, no matter how much they like her. I’m not saying Nick necessarily was interested in anything serious with Liz (he wasn’t), or had any intentions of hanging out with her but asking for someone’s number after a one-night stand, indicates some level of interest

January 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM

@mikeyy: not necessarily. As Liz suspected (and I give her credit for having that insight), Nick may have asked for the number to be “polite”, or stated more directly, to avoid looking like a guy who just wanted a hookup & was “finished” with her. If a guy asked for the number AND then actually calls/texts AND then makes some specific plans with a girl, then he’s showing some level of interest. Simply asking for a phone number is often a low effort way for a guy to somewhat gracefully hit the door without looking like a complete tool. Too often, and the women will keep me honest here, there is no call or text coming. One of the big complaints I hear from women is that the guys SAYS he’s going to call/text. Then doesn’t. It drives them crazy. If a guy says he’s going to call, girls think he’s actually going to call. But he didn’t call simply because he either never had any intention of calling (for reasons stated above) or was leaning towards lack of interest, but wanted to keep HIS options open in case he changed his mind or was REALLY lonely some night. The latter case is when a girl, who’s been blown off, gets a sudden call weeks later from a guy who’s suddenly interested in getting together.

6. mikeyy

January 10, 2017 at 2:40 PM

@Rob22, I agree with you. There are a lot of guys who get girls numbers with no intention of ever contacting them. But this does not encompass “all” men. To say this would be a big generalization. Personally, if I ask for a female’s number I generally call/text them because I was interested. Again, maybe I’m in the minority here but I do not think all guys are the same. I doubt Nick ever had any intention of contacting Liz, considering everything we know about the dude, but we will never know.

7. purplerayne

January 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM

@Mikeyy, i think we are both saying the same thing…but differently LOL Guys are straightforward for the most part. Thats what i meant by simple. If Nick really liked her, he wouldve asked again for her number, flirted with her on social media or her number or made a comment to Jane/Tanner. I dont blame Liz for being skeptical and thus not giving her number away…BUT she cant have it both ways. She cant turned him down and then expect him to be cool with her showing upon the show after 9 months of radio silence. BTW Lade mentioned in People magazine that Liz did reach out to Nick, to invite him to a charity event of hers. Hmmmm. This makes it even more awkward that she showed up after he rejected that invitation. And I must say, I would wonder if im Nick if she wanted him to show up for press reasons).

8. purplerayne

January 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM

@Mikeyy….you are in the minority. Speaking for ALL of my girlfriends, there are a lot of men (more than you would imagine) who ask for a number only as a polite way of exiting a situation/conversation. IF they do call or text, its just to see if the girl is still available when they have nothing better on their radar. Even my nicest guy friends have been guilty of this behaviour. You are a gem, dont change!

9. ashleigh11

January 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Someone needs to hook up Danielle with Luke from last season.

10. sleeprgirl

January 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM

If I were a man, I would have to be very drunk to hook up with Liz. She isn’t the typical “Bachelorette style” girl. A little overweight, as she hides her large middle with clothes dropping across her. Then there is that super unattractive back tattoo, that I bet Nick never saw, even in the motel room. It is narly. I put people to sleep, and have seen thousands of tattoo, and there are some really neat,artistic and tasteful tattoos out there. Not for Liz though. Then she has those large teeth. OK, so I’m not a Liz fan. She got her 15 mins of fame…bye, bye. I’m going to get pretty sick of Corinne,SOON! STEVE, she is so juvenile. Even though I know how this all goes down, I would like to see some interesting people, beautiful clothing, hair and makeup, not child’s play, and awkward behavior by Nick. He needs to keep those hands off his face and stop the mumbling…I am tired of straining to hear him. That’s all.

11. atleast4characters

January 10, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Never heard of Diff Eyewear (I don’t have any social media accounts), but sure enough, here’s a sample catalog of hawkers from the franchise: https://jezebel.com/c-list-celebs-are-trying-their-absolute-hardest-to-sell-1786049612

I finally participated in one of Steve’s site polls. Corinne is annoying. Whenever she’s talking I just want to say STFU.

12. lak377

January 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM

@sleeprgirl, so because Liz has a normal weight and body you’re going to rip on her and call her overweight? To say she “isn’t typical Bachelorette style”, make fun of her tattoo and say she has large teeth is just as immature as Corinne. Perhaps you should audition for this show!

13. trixibelleschott

January 12, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I’d like to add my take on Liz, please:

From the beginning, she bounced her ideas off her good friend Jade. No doubt they agreed Liz could have some fun as a part of The Bachelor franchise. When Liz ran into Nick at Jade’s wedding, she saw him as a partially attractive, less than her usual looks wise but acceptable hook up since he was, after all, somewhat known in the world of tv suitors. After a drunken night with him, she decided to cut her losses and move on, but, as time went by, she saw her reject become a desirable commodity…thus the plot to recapture his attention and put herself in the spotlight…even more important.

Meanwhile, Nick has moved on from that night with Liz. He’s plenty busy. Maybe she was the star of his fantasy one late night,alone with only himself to cuddle. So what,right. Then comes his night of glorious stardom. He is The Bachelor with scads of women from which he must choose a given number. The producers haven’t prepared him for the arrival of La Liz. Heeheehee. Of course they knew,this was ratings gold for at least the night,probably more.

When Nick was ready to present his roses, he confessed to the producers that he had no real interest in many of the girls,and,by the way, did you know I knew one of them…yeah we actually hooked up before! …NO,Do tell! Hey, this is your chance, Mr. Nick, to be the bachelor who goes down in bachelor history for having a former hook up as one of your bachelorettes! Whadaya say Nick, ole buddy,ole pal! You’de be the first!

Awe, I don’t know…we’re pretty done. I don’t even know why she’s here. (Duh…doesn’t it take one to know one. She wants to be on tv,schmuck). So the producers convince him to call her last, let her stew a little and tell Nick they really appreciate it because it gives some dramatic interest etc. Nick doesn’t think things through…too caught up in the moment ..all new stuff in the other room.

Skip ahead…Liz can’t keep her mouth shut. Maybe she even has a buddy in production now telling her…it’s probably a good idea to find someone you really trust and let it all out so the world can know what you’ve been through…welcome miss friend who says she would never say a word. The rest is history. Rob22 was right about how production knew all along what the outcome would be. They milked it, gave us some good tv, too bad it couldn’t have been juicier.

There’s nothing worse than a boring season, so let the conflicts ensue and play out. Liz…what a maroon!?