The Bachelor 21 - Nick

“Bachelor” Nick Episode 2 Recap Incl Corinne and Liz Talk

Photo Credit: ABC

-You know how badly Danielle got screwed on her 1-on-1? The first group date was 4 segments long and took up almost the whole first hour of the show. Danielle’s date got 2 segments, and that included them focusing on the Liz/Nick stuff. And knowing that the next group date had Liz on it, pretty much goes to show you that although Danielle was well liked and seems like a super sweet girl, she doesn’t really make for interesting TV, as exactly zero people are talking today about their date I’m guessing. It’s all about Corinne and Liz. Sorry Danielle. Maybe Cole Swindell can comfort you over this? When it’s still the early episodes and 22 girls are on the show, they never choose to focus on close relationships the lead is developing. It’s always about the drama in the house and who the sh** stirrer is. But since they know Danielle doesn’t win, and she isn’t anywhere part of that narrative, they essentially gloss over her date to focus on the petty stuff. Like a petulant 24 year old spoiled brat strictly looking to make a name for herself in the franchise, and a 9 month old hook up that everyone knew wasn’t going anywhere. Maybe Danielle can sue for lack of air time?

-Nick takes six girls to the Museum of Broken Relationships, which apparently is a thing. It’s funny that this show of all shows would do a date at the Museum of Broken Relationships, considering how many broken relationships they’ve had in this franchise. I’d never even heard of this place before, but how is the Jake and Vienna televised break up not the featured attraction at that place. Like the second you walk in, this video should be playing on a continuous loop. It’s the greatest breakup in the history of breakups and nothing comes close:

-But one thing they did have on display? Nick’s engagement ring he bought Kaitlyn. Uh huh. Sure it was. I may be absolutely wrong on this, but my guess is if you visit that museum today, that won’t be on display. I’m sure it was put there just for the filming of that particular episode for effect. Hey, maybe they could’ve included his phone bill showing all the calls and texts to Jen before going on Paradise as another memento in that museum. Not to mention the ones after Paradise ended. Moving on…

-So while the Nick and the girls were perusing around the museum, two horrible actors faked getting into a fight and “broke up” on the spot, which freaked out the girls because they thought it was real. Yes, these women are easily manipulated and fooled. The director comes out and says that all 6 girls will have their own breakup with Nick later on. Oh yippee. This will be creative. And I mean really. Did we really care to see any of these breakups other than Liz’s? Didn’t think so. The whole point of having this date, was to put Liz on it and have their “relationship” have some finality to it. I hope all of you could see that. This didn’t just magically happen. This date was purposely done so that Liz would do what she did, and Nick would eliminate her. Nothing more, nothing less. Scripted – in a sense.

-Now, once Liz got up there, that was all kinds of awkward. I mean, she didn’t even really do what the exercise wanted them to do, did she? All the other girls at least winged it and came up with some bogus break up story. Liz read hers straight of a notepad, and was basically just reading him a breakup letter. Huh? Was completely opposite of what the other 5 girls did and totally caused all sorts of uncomfortableness for everyone there. She could’ve easily done what she did, and recounted their whole night together and everything that (didn’t) happen since, but what was the point of just reading it? There was zero acting behind it, which is what the whole exercise was supposed to be about. I think everyone was confused as to what was happening, as they should’ve been. Something about that whole scene was completely off. But whatever the case, I guess Liz got to speak her mind, and made an uncomfortable situation 1000 times more uncomfortable. Soooooooo, props to her?

-At the after party, again, we see very minimal shots of Nick talking with the other girls. The whole point was to get to the conclusion of the Nick/Liz drama. Thank God. That meant that he’d talk to Christen first, and she tells him Liz told her they had sex at Tanner and Jade’s wedding. Gee Christen, couldn’t go a whole day without spouting off something you promised you wouldn’t say to anyone? Great friend. Maybe I should tell you my sources since I know you’re so great with keeping a secret. I get that Liz kind of outed herself on the date, but still at that moment, I think most of the girls were still confused as to what was going on. And when Christen talked to Nick, she still could’ve said nothing and let Nick and Liz handle their bid-nass. But apparently not. Then again, this was getting out regardless, so Christen has nothing to apologize for. Well, except for that whole virgin thing.

-Nick finally gets his time with Liz, tells her he knows she told Christen, Liz talks herself in circles, and Nick finally decides they have no future and sends her on her way. I know this has been a huge focal point of the show for two episodes, but honestly, it’s because it’s what the show does, and not because this was a bigger deal than they made it out to be. Two people had sex 9 months prior, they met up again, things were awkward, and one ended it for good. Period. But of course being television, it had to be made out more dramatic than it really was. Did Liz need to go on the show? No. Could Nick have made an effort to if he really was interested in her after she didn’t give him her number? Yes. Is there more to the story that we probably don’t know? I’m sure. But to sit here and dissect something pretty irrelevant in the overall scope of the season seems like an effort in futility. It’s over, it’s done with, it was a two episode arc, and all parties have moved on.

So because so much time was dedicated to Corinne’s 12 year old behavior and a 9 month old story that was going nowhere, we got a “To Be Continued…” at the end of this one. Next week will pick up with Nick telling the remaining 5 girls on the date about his romp with Liz at Jade and Tanner’s wedding, along with a cocktail party and rose ceremony that Corinne is passed out for. At the rose ceremony, Elizabeth Whitelaw, Lacey Mark, and Hailey Merkt are sent home – 3 girls that if they came up to you in the street tomorrow, you wouldn’t have a f***ing clue who they were.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. kimmyfromdablock

January 10, 2017 at 9:37 AM

That 1980’s wedding dress on Vanessa was scarily similar to my 1989 wedding dress. So horrible, but at the time, I thought I was the sh*t.

2. purplerayne

January 10, 2017 at 10:12 AM

“Could Nick have made an effort to if he really was interested in her after she didn’t give him her number?”

Thats the point! He didnt, so clearly he wasnt interested….thus why did Liz come on the show? She turned him down, for her own valid reasons, when he asked for her number. And since he didnt make an attempt to chase her, it shouldve told her plainly that he wasnt that into her. OR maybe he couldve been but the moment was gone/lost. Guys are simple. If they want someone, they will make it known. BTW lets note pretend that she didnt come on the show for attention and social media exposure for her travel blog.

January 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Liz didn’t misread Nick, at all. I’m sure he was totally fine with leaving it as a one night hook-up. Had Liz pursued Nick later, I doubt he would have even returned a text. So, while I get that Nick wasn’t thrilled that Liz kinda just showed up at his Bachelor gig, to pretend that Liz should have just got his number & called him & implying anything might have come of it, is just complete BS. I hate to say it, but he already had Liz. He’s looking for new fantasy suite material. That’s what Nick is all about. I’m really wondering, based on his obvious and extremely morally casual attitude towards the girls, especially Corrinne, how this season stays on the rails. This feels like it’s headed into Juan Pah-blow 2.0 territory where you wonder if any of the girls will still like him, at all, at the end.

4. mikeyy

January 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Sorry purplerayne, but couldn’t agree with you more. To say that guys are “simple” is just not true. If you ask for someone’s number and they decline to give it you, to me it indicates they are not interested. Not every guy is going to fight for a woman, no matter how much they like her. I’m not saying Nick necessarily was interested in anything serious with Liz (he wasn’t), or had any intentions of hanging out with her but asking for someone’s number after a one-night stand, indicates some level of interest

January 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM

@mikeyy: not necessarily. As Liz suspected (and I give her credit for having that insight), Nick may have asked for the number to be “polite”, or stated more directly, to avoid looking like a guy who just wanted a hookup & was “finished” with her. If a guy asked for the number AND then actually calls/texts AND then makes some specific plans with a girl, then he’s showing some level of interest. Simply asking for a phone number is often a low effort way for a guy to somewhat gracefully hit the door without looking like a complete tool. Too often, and the women will keep me honest here, there is no call or text coming. One of the big complaints I hear from women is that the guys SAYS he’s going to call/text. Then doesn’t. It drives them crazy. If a guy says he’s going to call, girls think he’s actually going to call. But he didn’t call simply because he either never had any intention of calling (for reasons stated above) or was leaning towards lack of interest, but wanted to keep HIS options open in case he changed his mind or was REALLY lonely some night. The latter case is when a girl, who’s been blown off, gets a sudden call weeks later from a guy who’s suddenly interested in getting together.

6. mikeyy

January 10, 2017 at 2:40 PM

@Rob22, I agree with you. There are a lot of guys who get girls numbers with no intention of ever contacting them. But this does not encompass “all” men. To say this would be a big generalization. Personally, if I ask for a female’s number I generally call/text them because I was interested. Again, maybe I’m in the minority here but I do not think all guys are the same. I doubt Nick ever had any intention of contacting Liz, considering everything we know about the dude, but we will never know.

7. purplerayne

January 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM

@Mikeyy, i think we are both saying the same thing…but differently LOL Guys are straightforward for the most part. Thats what i meant by simple. If Nick really liked her, he wouldve asked again for her number, flirted with her on social media or her number or made a comment to Jane/Tanner. I dont blame Liz for being skeptical and thus not giving her number away…BUT she cant have it both ways. She cant turned him down and then expect him to be cool with her showing upon the show after 9 months of radio silence. BTW Lade mentioned in People magazine that Liz did reach out to Nick, to invite him to a charity event of hers. Hmmmm. This makes it even more awkward that she showed up after he rejected that invitation. And I must say, I would wonder if im Nick if she wanted him to show up for press reasons).

8. purplerayne

January 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM

@Mikeyy….you are in the minority. Speaking for ALL of my girlfriends, there are a lot of men (more than you would imagine) who ask for a number only as a polite way of exiting a situation/conversation. IF they do call or text, its just to see if the girl is still available when they have nothing better on their radar. Even my nicest guy friends have been guilty of this behaviour. You are a gem, dont change!

9. ashleigh11

January 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Someone needs to hook up Danielle with Luke from last season.

10. sleeprgirl

January 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM

If I were a man, I would have to be very drunk to hook up with Liz. She isn’t the typical “Bachelorette style” girl. A little overweight, as she hides her large middle with clothes dropping across her. Then there is that super unattractive back tattoo, that I bet Nick never saw, even in the motel room. It is narly. I put people to sleep, and have seen thousands of tattoo, and there are some really neat,artistic and tasteful tattoos out there. Not for Liz though. Then she has those large teeth. OK, so I’m not a Liz fan. She got her 15 mins of fame…bye, bye. I’m going to get pretty sick of Corinne,SOON! STEVE, she is so juvenile. Even though I know how this all goes down, I would like to see some interesting people, beautiful clothing, hair and makeup, not child’s play, and awkward behavior by Nick. He needs to keep those hands off his face and stop the mumbling…I am tired of straining to hear him. That’s all.

11. atleast4characters

January 10, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Never heard of Diff Eyewear (I don’t have any social media accounts), but sure enough, here’s a sample catalog of hawkers from the franchise: https://jezebel.com/c-list-celebs-are-trying-their-absolute-hardest-to-sell-1786049612

I finally participated in one of Steve’s site polls. Corinne is annoying. Whenever she’s talking I just want to say STFU.

12. lak377

January 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM

@sleeprgirl, so because Liz has a normal weight and body you’re going to rip on her and call her overweight? To say she “isn’t typical Bachelorette style”, make fun of her tattoo and say she has large teeth is just as immature as Corinne. Perhaps you should audition for this show!

13. trixibelleschott

January 12, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I’d like to add my take on Liz, please:

From the beginning, she bounced her ideas off her good friend Jade. No doubt they agreed Liz could have some fun as a part of The Bachelor franchise. When Liz ran into Nick at Jade’s wedding, she saw him as a partially attractive, less than her usual looks wise but acceptable hook up since he was, after all, somewhat known in the world of tv suitors. After a drunken night with him, she decided to cut her losses and move on, but, as time went by, she saw her reject become a desirable commodity…thus the plot to recapture his attention and put herself in the spotlight…even more important.

Meanwhile, Nick has moved on from that night with Liz. He’s plenty busy. Maybe she was the star of his fantasy one late night,alone with only himself to cuddle. So what,right. Then comes his night of glorious stardom. He is The Bachelor with scads of women from which he must choose a given number. The producers haven’t prepared him for the arrival of La Liz. Heeheehee. Of course they knew,this was ratings gold for at least the night,probably more.

When Nick was ready to present his roses, he confessed to the producers that he had no real interest in many of the girls,and,by the way, did you know I knew one of them…yeah we actually hooked up before! …NO,Do tell! Hey, this is your chance, Mr. Nick, to be the bachelor who goes down in bachelor history for having a former hook up as one of your bachelorettes! Whadaya say Nick, ole buddy,ole pal! You’de be the first!

Awe, I don’t know…we’re pretty done. I don’t even know why she’s here. (Duh…doesn’t it take one to know one. She wants to be on tv,schmuck). So the producers convince him to call her last, let her stew a little and tell Nick they really appreciate it because it gives some dramatic interest etc. Nick doesn’t think things through…too caught up in the moment ..all new stuff in the other room.

Skip ahead…Liz can’t keep her mouth shut. Maybe she even has a buddy in production now telling her…it’s probably a good idea to find someone you really trust and let it all out so the world can know what you’ve been through…welcome miss friend who says she would never say a word. The rest is history. Rob22 was right about how production knew all along what the outcome would be. They milked it, gave us some good tv, too bad it couldn’t have been juicier.

There’s nothing worse than a boring season, so let the conflicts ensue and play out. Liz…what a maroon!?